Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Cool. I'm mainly hoping he gets some of that control and velocity back. If I'm adding up the numbers correctly Pete should be back some time in spring training next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

:words:

I would keep as many of them down as possible, fill out the ML roster with passable but not great players (or Type B free agents or released guys who will draw comp -- unfortunately someone :smug: already cleared out most of them) and go for the best draft pick possible. You're in the AL with at least three killer teams (Monterrey, Oakland, Salem), one that's close (Indy) and a handful of others that are still quite competitive....you might as well push that window back a few seasons and build up some more talent if you want to make a serious run at the top teams.

Not to :toot: my own horn or anything, but with the amount of young talent in Oakland, it's not going to be fun trying to win the pennant for the next decade, either way you go. And that's not even considering Monterrey, which has an owner that knows what he's doing and a plethora of young talent as well. This world really is one of the deeper worlds I've seen, talent-wise (unless you're a shortstop).

Quasimango posted:

:words:

You should be playing with your fellow goons. :colbert:

(ignore this if we somehow just didn't get you in last season)

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

nasboat posted:

You should be playing with your fellow goons. :colbert:

(ignore this if we somehow just didn't get you in last season)

My mistake kept him out of Dimaggio last season. He's tops on the list for any open spot next season.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

My mistake kept him out of Dimaggio last season. He's tops on the list for any open spot next season.

:woop:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
As far as I know everyone who was interested in an OL has a team ready so I'm going to start keeping my eye open for a league. If I don't jump in one tonight or tomorrow I'll wait until after Xmas.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
i only did an offense but if you jump in without me it isn't a huge deal

e: i've pretty much got a team built now

prince & bats together 4ever

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 25, 2011

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Is OVR seriously underating this guy?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yes. The only thing you should ever consider OVR for is trying to rip off pubbies.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Welp, may as well put him No.1 on the board then. The rest of the guys seem to be a bunch of projected 70's-80's in fielding/health, 60's-70's in hitting grades players. Have the No.15 pick, but a high college scouting grade, so maybe they'll all miss him.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

AlleyViper posted:

As far as I know everyone who was interested in an OL has a team ready so I'm going to start keeping my eye open for a league. If I don't jump in one tonight or tomorrow I'll wait until after Xmas.

Yo it is after Xmas where's the OL at?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
If you guys hold off on the OL until this evening I'll get in on it, I have to work and won't be near my computer until after 6:30

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

toadee posted:

Yo it is after Xmas where's the OL at?

I've been looking, every one that I've hopped in so far has been more than half full. The one I just tried had 14 people already AND ligapelota. Hopefully later today.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

:siren: GO GO GO GO GO :siren:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Someone give me a good theme that involves me using 2011 Bats and I will be in quick.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is what happens when I make a team without a theme. I make a boring boring team that probably also sucks. Someone give me a theme.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I tried jumping in on that and it put me as the 24th member of a different league. Going to wait an hour or two.

e: In it now

Devo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 28, 2011

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Doing an OL Bullpen is Real Hard.

edit: hard enough that the league filled apparently? Oh well, i'll run the next one!

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 28, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It has been awhile, but Addietude is back once more.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Yank Your Bip Then Peitz It reporting for duty. We'll win 65 games!

Edit: I should just enter with my world series winning Bip team, but I seem to have misplaced my screenshot of it :(

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

It has been awhile, but Addietude is back once more.

What kind of lame guy would enter a cookie team in a goon rush?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

What kind of lame guy would enter a cookie team in a goon rush?

Both of the previous Addietude teams were in goonrushes :colbert:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I was looking through the archives to find my bip team, and I guess it doesn't show screenshots anymore in archives, so my Bip team is lost forever. I had a screenshot of it, but I guess I deleted it some time ago :(

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here are my AAA guys. Fairly and Red Smith might some of the most usable players i've ever gotten, and Parrish can probably help out a little bit. Everyone else is useless.

I didn't even both doing my pitchers, because they are beyond useless.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hey awesome an OL rush on the day I was offline :|

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Holy Moley

I'm sorry I keep forsaking you, Vicente.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

yo baseballlll

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Not a good game for Harpo :smith:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My dinger team in the OL got shut out the first game at home. The sim is obviously broken

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I think even stranger than that is that your HoJo has already committed an error.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So how much would y'all be willing to drop on this guy?

13 int'l scouting

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

13 int'l scouting

It depends on what you think he is. Is he a great 5inning pitcher? A very good long reliever who can pitch 100+ out of the pen? He's not worth the huge amount he's going to get, but he's worth a lot.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

AlleyViper posted:

13 int'l scouting

Thats a 100+ innings a year of great pitching seems pretty valuable to me. I would throw a lot of money at him but I do not know your payroll/cash situation.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I've got up to 27m to spend on prospects and could potentially add more if I can salary dump a few guys.

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax
As sketchy as $13MM scouting can be, I could see myself dropping in the area of $15MM on him just because he could be inserted right onto the ML roster.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I certainly wouldn't overpay him - can't start, and sketchy pitcher make him merely "amazing" instead of "generational". That being said 15m doesn't sound too bad yeah.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

On the other hand I'd give that guy pretty much anything he wanted to sign, maybe even punting the draft.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Why wouldn't that guy be able to start? Just slot him between your two highest-stamina starters and monitor it.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

jeffersonlives posted:

On the other hand I'd give that guy pretty much anything he wanted to sign, maybe even punting the draft.

Me too

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Scrotos posted:

Me too

Any particular reason you guys feel that way?

FWIW, the way things are going it looks like he's going to comfortably top 20m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Based on his current ratings and age I am pretty comfortable with that guy getting to around his projections, and his projections make him a top 10 pitcher in most worlds. When the worst case is that you get 120-140 ace reliever quality innings that you can leverage, that's not really a worst case, is it?

• Locked thread