Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
I was sooo ready to get a Fujifilm X10 during the holidays but now with this Orb-gate thing, I'm really not sure. I just want to spend my money on gear!! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Brick Card posted:

I was sooo ready to get a Fujifilm X10 during the holidays but now with this Orb-gate thing, I'm really not sure.

Oh wow, that'd definitely get annoying.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Canuckistan posted:

For a family point and shooter should I go with a SX220 or a ELPH 310? There's not much info on the 310 out there so that's making it hard for me to decide but from what I can tell the features, other than the increased zoom of the SX220, are about the same.

The price is about the same as well. Personally, P&S quality, video, and battery life are the three biggest concerns.

I'm getting a camera for my sister and brother-in-law and I'm trying to decide between these two as well. My concern is more around durability, would the long zoom on the SX220 make it more fragile? Plus the 310 seems to be having Thailand-related supply issues.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Krakkles posted:

The Panasonic LX5 is $269 today. Not quite pocketable, but great camera, from what I've heard.
Purchased for the parents on Friday! It's since gone back up to $349 on Saturday, but I'm looking forward to explaining all the magical settings on it, only for them to go globe-trotting and snapping photos in AUTO.

And I get to steal it occasionally for its 60fps video :)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

drat, I still can't get a Canon S100.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

qirex posted:

I'm getting a camera for my sister and brother-in-law and I'm trying to decide between these two as well. My concern is more around durability, would the long zoom on the SX220 make it more fragile? Plus the 310 seems to be having Thailand-related supply issues.

I ended up going for a ELPH 300 instead of the 310. It was cheaper and has mostly the same features if you don't care about the 8x vs 5x zoom.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Canuckistan posted:

I ended up going for a ELPH 300 instead of the 310. It was cheaper and has mostly the same features if you don't care about the 8x vs 5x zoom.

$50 cheaper and in stock? I think we have a winner.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So like a poster way further back in the thread, I'm looking for a camera to take into venues/nightclubs that have a no removable lens/no pro camera policy where I can't go with my 5Dii. Want RAW, want good low light performance, decent zoom would be a plus, as is decent video.

Right now I'm looking at the Canon S95/100 and/or the Fuji X10. I've thought about some micro 4/3's and pretending the lens doesn't come off, but seems a bit risky. Anyone have other suggestions to throw out? I actually already picked up the S95 from Amazon back on Cyber Monday, but it could end up as a gift for someone else.

How "pocketable" is the X10? I'm guessing not very with that lens. Likely to make it into jeans pockets with a bulge? Cargo shorts? Anyone done any low light reviews on it? DPReview only has the preview up. I'm curious how well image quality and auto focus work in dark environs.

If the X10 (or whatever else you guys might recommend) is sufficiently better than the S95, it might make sense to keep the S95 as a pocket camera for when it's just wallet, keys, camera & phone, and use the X10 or whatever for festivals or other venues with limits on cameras but where a bag to carry it is likely. Plus the S95 has the underwater housings so it could become my dive camera as well.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I haven't held an X10, but I have a G12 which is in the same ballpark size-wise. I was able to fit it in a dress-pants pocket with no problem (w/o a case), so cargo pants/shorts would be fine. However, I don't see it fitting in jeans pockets at all.

Can't speak to the benefits of X10 vs S95- on paper it sounds better but people are complaining about some sort of white spot issue, and I haven't looked at enough comparisons to know whether it is worth the extra $$ over the S95/100/G12.

FWIW- the tilty screen of the g12 might be handy if you have to hold the camera over your head, and it is a little longer and faster at the long end than the s95. However, costs at least $100 more right now, so you'd really have to love the extra controls to make it worth while.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm looking for a simple P&S that will be used by someone who never really takes the camera off auto and has a flash you can toggle.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm looking for a simple P&S that will be used by someone who never really takes the camera off auto and has a flash you can toggle.

My girlfriend loves her Casio Exilim EX-ZR100

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pope Mobile posted:

The OP says buy whichever Canon model looks good to you and I'd tend to agree.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Krakkles posted:

My girlfriend loves her Casio Exilim EX-ZR100

dissss posted:

The OP says buy whichever Canon model looks good to you and I'd tend to agree.

Well. I'm going to Fry's on Friday with a friend, so I guess I'll check them out then. Thanks!

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm pretty new to the photography thing. I've had a Coolpix S6100 for a few months now. It's decent for what I do, but sometimes the lack of control over the aperture and shutter speed annoy me. I'd like to find something that would let me take halfway decent photos in a low-light setting without using a flash or too long of an exposure time. Is this something I'll ever manage to get out of any point and shoot camera, should I start looking at DSLRs instead, or should I just wait for scientists to invent magic because my demands are unreasonable?

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
It depends what you mean by half-decent, and what you are trying to get pictures of.

Low-light is one of the largest areas of difference between p&s and DSLR. Because DSLR's have much, much larger sensors, they can shoot at higher ISO with much less noise. So yes, there's no doubt that a DSLR is the best option for low-light shooting.

However, there's definitely P&S cameras that are better at low light than others. Things that help are larger sensors, faster lens (like f/2 or better) and backside illuminated CMOS. The S90/95/100 family is a good place to look for good low-light performance for a P&S. Plus they have full manual controls should you want that!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ma i married a tuna posted:

Low-light is one of the largest areas of difference between p&s and DSLR. Because DSLR's have much, much larger sensors, they can shoot at higher ISO with much less noise. So yes, there's no doubt that a DSLR is the best option for low-light shooting.
If you don't want the DSLR size or form, there's also plenty of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras with much larger sensors than point and shoots (micro 4/3rds and APS-C, which are the same as in some DSLRs). Some combinations, like the Panasonic GF3/Olympus E-PM1 with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake are still very pocketable, if you have a large pocket, and will do well in low-light (mainly because of the lens).

Vertebrah
Dec 6, 2009
I've been recently looking into getting a p&s for an upcoming trip I'm taking to Costa Rica. I've been trying to find one that takes good quality photos and has most of the manual control found on a DSLR, but one that is still portable and doesn't require a large bag to carry it around in. I've been looking at the Nikon P7000 lately and it seems to fit this category. Has anyone had any hands on with one, or owned one to know if it does?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vertebrah posted:

I've been recently looking into getting a p&s for an upcoming trip I'm taking to Costa Rica. I've been trying to find one that takes good quality photos and has most of the manual control found on a DSLR, but one that is still portable and doesn't require a large bag to carry it around in. I've been looking at the Nikon P7000 lately and it seems to fit this category. Has anyone had any hands on with one, or owned one to know if it does?

I looked at it, and ultimately went with a Canon G12. dpreview had some complaints.

How important are wildlife photographs to you? If at all, you probably want to look at travel zooms or bridge cameras. At least the last time I looked, the things in the same class with the P7000 all had wimpy zooms. You could also look into a small/and or used DSLR body and a super-zoom lens- something like the Tamron 18-270.

Vertebrah
Dec 6, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I looked at it, and ultimately went with a Canon G12. dpreview had some complaints.

How important are wildlife photographs to you? If at all, you probably want to look at travel zooms or bridge cameras. At least the last time I looked, the things in the same class with the P7000 all had wimpy zooms. You could also look into a small/and or used DSLR body and a super-zoom lens- something like the Tamron 18-270.

Wildlife photos are pretty important for the trip since most of it will be in the rain forest and on turtle beaches. I haven't looked at any travel zooms yet, are there any specific ones your would recommend? Also I've been considering buying a DSLR, but the price point has kept me at bay. I also don't want something quite that bulky to carry around, but the extra choices with lenses would be a plus.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Vertebrah posted:

Wildlife photos are pretty important for the trip since most of it will be in the rain forest and on turtle beaches. I haven't looked at any travel zooms yet, are there any specific ones your would recommend? Also I've been considering buying a DSLR, but the price point has kept me at bay. I also don't want something quite that bulky to carry around, but the extra choices with lenses would be a plus.

The best superzooms around are probably the Canon SX230, Sony HX9V, and Nikon 9100. I tried them all, and bought a Sony which I then exchanged for a Canon. I think they run each other pretty close, this is a rough breakdown of pros and cons:

Canon
+ right now, cheap (about $100 less than Sony or Nikon)
+ good image quality, build quality, decent video/ low light
+ full PASM controls
- battery life is not great
- screen is 16:9 - good for video, not so great for photos
- flash always pops up/ flash a little underpowered

Sony
+ great video - performance on par with high-end DSLRs (but with weird codecs)
+ 10fps burst, many clever processing modes
- slow operation, there's a lot of *processing* messages and delays (bugged the hell out of me)
- aggressive noise reduction
- no shutter/ aperture priority (though it has full manual)
- camera charges in battery

Nikon
+ substantially longer lens than competitors
+ good IQ, good auto performance
- no manual settings at all
- occassional AF problems

All decent cameras - just don't expect a DSLR. This class is all about versatility, so you're getting a Jack of all trades that's master of none. Useful if you want just one camera you can actually carry around, so definitely a good vacation option.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a fairly recent comparison of some of the travel zooms. I think it echoes what ma i married a tuna said. These are all at least cargo-pants-pocket/coat pocket sized, which can be really nice for travel, and something you can use for nights out.

The bridge cameras are a little bulkier- like a mini DSLR. Will fit in a backpack or shoulder bag easily, and won't look super-pro gear steal me big and expensive. They will probably have easier manual controls than the superzooms, and some will shoot RAW. I'd guess they also have better battery life. I have an old one that I still use on trips if I don't want to haul a DSLR along. It's ergonomics are better than most entry DSLR (manual focus and zoom rings on the lens, two control wheels, etc). (I'm still trying to sell it)

For jungles and night shots of nesting turtles, faster lenses (smaller f/aperture numbers) will be helpful, although I don't recall any of the travel zooms being particularly fast. Dark environments with distant animals moving around in the canopy are about the hardest thing to take a photo of.

You might look at the close focus distance too, so if you find frogs or bugs or something you can get macro shots. That's one thing that point and shoots can actually do pretty well.

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
The Canon S95 just dropped to 230$ on Amazon.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

john ashpool posted:

The Canon S95 just dropped to 230$ on Amazon.

Such an amazing deal; I just ordered one. Apparently the deal is just for one day too.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 19, 2011

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just bought one too. I bought a G12 at the end of the summer and had been semi-regretting not having the smaller s95 (although i love the G12). Now I can give the s95 to my girlfriend for Christmas and borrow it whenever I want. Win-win!

edit- Apparently the goon-rush over-sold the camera, and now it's back-ordered and not available by Christmas. Anyone else have this problem? And now I have to come up with a real present...

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 20, 2011

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I just bought one too. I bought a G12 at the end of the summer and had been semi-regretting not having the smaller s95 (although i love the G12). Now I can give the s95 to my girlfriend for Christmas and borrow it whenever I want. Win-win!

edit- Apparently the goon-rush over-sold the camera, and now it's back-ordered and not available by Christmas. Anyone else have this problem? And now I have to come up with a real present...

Mine arrived the other day. The camera is awesome. Now I just have to find a nice case with a bit of water resistance.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
The Elph 500 and SX230 are both around $200 this week at my Target, and I'm not sure which one to go with. I'll be using it mainly for pictures of my new baby, so I feel a lot of urgency to get something that'll take awesome photos (a given with a Canon) relatively quickly. I've seen mixed reviews on Amazon, but I'm not sure if people complaining about photos being taken slowly are using a slower SD card or something like that? I do prefer having the physical buttons on the SX230, but if people overall have a better experience with the Elph, I'm sure I can get used to a touchscreen, or maybe even go for the cheaper 300.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Ben Davis posted:

The Elph 500 and SX230 are both around $200 this week at my Target, and I'm not sure which one to go with. I'll be using it mainly for pictures of my new baby, so I feel a lot of urgency to get something that'll take awesome photos (a given with a Canon) relatively quickly. I've seen mixed reviews on Amazon, but I'm not sure if people complaining about photos being taken slowly are using a slower SD card or something like that? I do prefer having the physical buttons on the SX230, but if people overall have a better experience with the Elph, I'm sure I can get used to a touchscreen, or maybe even go for the cheaper 300.

Elph has a faster, wider lens. You're taking pictures inside, up close, so the Elph is a better camera for you. The advantages of the SX 230 - zoom and manual control - are irrelevant for you.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
IMO the Best used P&S cameras in different price ranges, use image quality as priority:

$100 Fuji F200 exr (well I brought mine refub for $100 but the ebay price seem to have gone up) or a F100fd

$150 Panasonic LX3

$230 Get the new LX5 or s95 deal, or a used Sigma DP1

Over $250 I would get a used Sony NEX-3 or Samsung NX100

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

whatever7 posted:

IMO the Best used P&S cameras in different price ranges, use image quality as priority:

$100 Fuji F200 exr (well I brought mine refub for $100 but the ebay price seem to have gone up) or a F100fd

$150 Panasonic LX3

$230 Get the new LX5 or s95 deal, or a used Sigma DP1

Over $250 I would get a used Sony NEX-3 or Samsung NX100

Granted this is after prices have dropped (I bought the S95 awhile ago) but that still puts me in the "drat, I bought the wrong camera" category.

At the same time, I don't think the NEX-3 (not sure about the NX100, though I suspect it's similar) would work as well for me as the S95 - I use my D7000 whenever bulk isn't an issue, and when it is, I want something that will fit in my jeans pocket.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
I want to buy a P&S, and based on this thread am deciding between either the S95 or S100.

Normally I'd go for the S100, since it's the newest top-of-the-line blah blah, but have found several reviews (1, 2, 3) saying that both the image quality and battery life are inferior to the S95.

Has anybody here used both, and could offer your experiences?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
owned the s90, s95 and the olympus xz-1. Planning to get the s100.

Can't say much about the "inferior image quality" compared to the s95 because i never had my hands on the newer 100 but looking at the ergonomics I would definitely get the 100. It's a fun social camera with the record on/off button feature copied from the xz-1. Which is a big bonus for me. As for deteriorated quality, I have a hunch that it couldn't be that bad and it's more of a social function compact point and shoot camera that can shoot great second curtain sync iso 800 stuff.

If I want serious quality imagery I would bust out the slr + strobe. Or the film camera.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

caberham posted:

owned the s90, s95 and the olympus xz-1. Planning to get the s100.

Can't say much about the "inferior image quality" compared to the s95 because i never had my hands on the newer 100 but looking at the ergonomics I would definitely get the 100. It's a fun social camera with the record on/off button feature copied from the xz-1. Which is a big bonus for me. As for deteriorated quality, I have a hunch that it couldn't be that bad and it's more of a social function compact point and shoot camera that can shoot great second curtain sync iso 800 stuff.

If I want serious quality imagery I would bust out the slr + strobe. Or the film camera.
Well, I know it'll never compete with a DSLR or something like that. I just want to have a camera that takes good pictures, without inviting the attention that comes with anything professional-looking.

Maybe I'm being dumb here? I know very little about cameras, aside from reading this thread's OP + some introductory "buying camera for idiots" articles. But the idea of paying a $100 premium for lower-quality photos seems like a bad idea.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Janin posted:

Maybe I'm being dumb here? I know very little about cameras, aside from reading this thread's OP + some introductory "buying camera for idiots" articles. But the idea of paying a $100 premium for lower-quality photos seems like a bad idea.

Well I don't know the details of the S100 apparently having 'inferior' image quality as compared to S95, but I took a look at the test that DPreview did here and it doesn't look like there's a ton of difference overall. I would say just take a look at the major additions of the S100 and see if they appeal to you, if it doesn't save 100 bucks and put that towards a good memory card.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What I got from those reviews wasn't that the photos were "lower quality", it was that it doesn't faithfully replicate colors, in favor of making them more vivid (brighter sky, stuff like that).

I've got the S95, absolutely love it, don't have any particular motivation to move to the S100, but I don't think it would be a step down. I'm not taking pictures to memorialize the world, I'm taking pictures because I like to, because I like memories, and because I like having sweet desktop backgrounds.

tl;dr: The S100 probably takes beautiful photos. Follow the OP's advice - get the most expensive Canon you can. If you decide that "you can" means the S95, go for it. You won't regret it.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

S95 ordered

I'll probably be back in this thread in a few days, asking "help how do I photo :byodood:"

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Today I went into a store and played around with the Canon IXUS 1100 HS and Canon SX230.

I was interested in these two because I want a travel zoom camera. I would really like a large zoom (10x or more), those ones are within my price point, and I never really do anything fancy with the camera outside of "half press shutter on one area, then pan the camera slightly, keeping that exposure and focus point before taking the picture"

However, the ergonomics of those two cameras was just really bad for me, they felt awkward in my hands. I also really hated the touch screen interface of the IXUS, it just wasn't nearly as responsive as my smartphone, and I kept accidentally hitting the wrong thing.

Is there another brand that does a good travel zoom camera? Anything that has a reputation for toughness is a plus too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Check out the Panasonic range.

I had a TZ10 (ZS7 in some places I think) and was pretty happy until my brother broke it. The TZ-20 has a touch screen but I think you can do most things without even using it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

dissss posted:

Check out the Panasonic range.

I had a TZ10 (ZS7 in some places I think) and was pretty happy until my brother broke it. The TZ-20 has a touch screen but I think you can do most things without even using it.

Hmmm, the reviews don't look that hot, but also the last couple years they've announced new ones in early Jan, so I'll probably wait to see what the new range looks like at least. I don't travel till April which is something.

Any other good camera's in that field?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

ma i married a tuna posted:

Elph has a faster, wider lens. You're taking pictures inside, up close, so the Elph is a better camera for you. The advantages of the SX 230 - zoom and manual control - are irrelevant for you.

Aw, thanks for the response--I'd already ordered the SX230, but luckily I love it and the controls and haven't noticed any bad lag! I was upgrading from my SD790, and although I really miss its sturdy little frame, I think any of the choices would please me when it comes to the actual pictures. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Does anyone know what a fair price for a used s95 is? I just bought mine last Decemeber, hardly use it, and I want to sell mine to my sister. I don't want to rip her off, but I want to make sure it's fair for both of us. I was thinking $300, as the new ones are still going for ~$350 (on boxing day sales) - $400.

She knows nothing about cameras so asking her what she thinks is fair is useless. She's relying on me for this one.

edit: I'm in Canada, which is relevant as I know the s95 was on a wicked deal through Amazon, but it's not available to us.

• Locked thread