Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bleh, just finished A Dance with Dragons. Now to wait and hope desperately that GRRM doesn't die before The Winds of Winter is finished.

Also, I can't wait for Qyburn's experiments to be talked about in detail. Just that little bit in the epilogue about Ser Robert Strong was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Joramun posted:

That's often what happens when pre-established characters become POV characters. Same goes for Cersei and Jaime, for example.

Ugh, I'll agree with the other one you listed, but I hate Cersei as much as ever and the only thing I looked forward whenever reading one of her chapters was the possibility of it ending the way Catelyn's final chapter ended. Still waiting for that, btw.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

But, the prose man. I think you just need to work on your critical thread reading skills.

You could work on actually making worthwhile posts.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I finished A Storm Of Swords Part 1. Great end chapter, I hate Ygriette so much. I was stoked when Jon got away. Beric Dondarrion is such a boss too.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
What didn't you like about her? I don't remember anything offensive about her

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Ashrik posted:

What didn't you like about her? I don't remember anything offensive about her

The Jon liking her thing came out of nowhere. Like, she has hosed teeth and wide apart eyes yet Jon likes her?

I was kinda wanting more stories of the giants and other mysteries of the wildlings more than a love story I guess. But Im only just at the start of book 3 part 2 so maybe Im rushing things for myself.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Veg posted:

The Jon liking her thing came out of nowhere. Like, she has hosed teeth and wide apart eyes yet Jon likes her?
He's like 15 isn't he and a girl wants his nuts. Sounds about right to me.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Also, redheads are his type. You just know Melisandre is going to tap that so hard if he survives til TWOW.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Veg posted:

He doesn't at first though. He wants nothing to do with her until Mance Rayder puts him in a situation where it's essentially gently caress Ygritte or be seen as a traitor. Jon thinks about how she's not attractive unless compared to the other wildling warriors, he's taken oaths, and a bunch of other hand wringing. It's only after they've been together for a little bit that he starts wanting to tell her what's up and then he jumps on a horse and rides away instead. [SOS.1]

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Jon is in a foreign environment with tens of thousands of people who at most don't give a poo poo about him, but more likely want him dead, and there's one person out of the masses who is not only nice to him but seems to actually like him, and she happens to be a not completely unattractive girl who wants to bone him. I don't exactly know how them getting together "came out of nowhere"; in fact, I'd say it was pretty much inevitable.

Also I think it's funny that the only justification you gave as to why you think he shouldn't like her is she has two unattractive physical features.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Also I think it's funny that the only justification you gave as to why you think he shouldn't like her is she has two unattractive physical features.

lol you know nothing

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I found Ygritte's YKNJS x 1000 quite annoying and don't miss the character. I thought maybe we hadn't heard the last from her but Jon burnt her body so I dunno, perhaps she'll come back in ghost form?

cemaphonic
Jan 1, 2011
Does anyone know where the "Tower of Joy" appellation comes from? It's labeled as such in the ADWD maps, but the term was in common use long before then. I watched for it in my last reread, but didn't run across the name anywhere.

Is this just one of those fan nickname becoming canon situations, or did I miss a reference somewhere?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

cemaphonic posted:

Does anyone know where the "Tower of Joy" appellation comes from? It's labeled as such in the ADWD maps, but the term was in common use long before then. I watched for it in my last reread, but didn't run across the name anywhere.

Is this just one of those fan nickname becoming canon situations, or did I miss a reference somewhere?

Ned dreams about it in AGOT IIRC. That's where he fought the last of Aerys' Kingsguard to get Lyanna back, right?

cemaphonic
Jan 1, 2011

DrPop posted:

Ned dreams about it in AGOT IIRC. That's where he fought the last of Aerys' Kingsguard to get Lyanna back, right?

Yeah, the events at the tower are referenced in several of Ned's memories in AGOT, but (unless I missed it) it's not named anything, it's just a tower, described as "long fallen" and located somewhere in the vicinity of Dorne. It's just an odd name if it started out in fandom, and people throw the term around like it should be common knowledge.

Kemchimikemkem
Dec 22, 2011

It's a win win, better grin a big grin :D
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still- dunno

pants cat posted:

I found Ygritte's YKNJS x 1000 quite annoying and don't miss the character. I thought maybe we hadn't heard the last from her but Jon burnt her body so I dunno, perhaps she'll come back in ghost form?

Yeah, found them annoying as well, and her character in general. I had been hoping Jon would develop a functional romantic relationship, which may happen yet.

I've read the second and third books in the series and stopped there, found the style too dry, uneventful and depressing. Martin seems to have one trick up his sleeve, which is "Shatter the reader's hopes and dreams." I'm genuinely curious why it's become such a huge success. Any guesses, folks?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Kemchimikemkem posted:

Yeah, found them annoying as well, and her character in general. I had been hoping Jon would develop a functional romantic relationship, which may happen yet.

I've read the second and third books in the series and stopped there, found the style too dry, uneventful and depressing. Martin seems to have one trick up his sleeve, which is "Shatter the reader's hopes and dreams." I'm genuinely curious why it's become such a huge success. Any guesses, folks?

I loving love bullshit politics and dragons

Kemchimikemkem
Dec 22, 2011

Fair enough. Me too. It just seems that at the top tier of fantasy there should be something more, something better. IMO there's nothing particularly ingenius about ASOFAI, which may not be the best of criticisms, but I expect a lot from the best of fantasy drat it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GRRM writes really enjoyable characters. I hesitate to say "good", but all his characters, even the ones you hate, are very entertaining to read about and he's really good at getting you involved with them and their lives. His worldbuilding is first class - I didn't even realize this until I started reading another fantasy book, but within probably the first half or 2/3 of the first book you've been immersed in a very detailed and incredibly lifelike world with a rich history. And it only gets better from there.

He is - or was, depending on your point of view - pretty good at pacing and plotting as well. The first 3 books never seemed to drag, at least for me, but I know some people were put off by the first 100 pages or so of the first book. I did kind of dislike how the first 3 books seemed to be "backloaded" ie the first 2/3 of each book is fairly mundane but sets up the last 1/3, which is crazy as hell.

One thing I really liked is that magic and the supernatural exist in the world, but it's more or less been "lost" at the beginning of the series. So you know when someone possesses magic or something supernatural is happening that it's not just an everyday occurence, it's a big loving deal.

I also like that not all the POVs are people in the military or people with a lot of power. I know most people hate them, but I really liked the POVs from like Sansa and Bran. I like seeing how events affect the bystanders and not just the main players. I also hate "badass" characters, so it's nice that the most "badass" people are horrible monsters like Gregor Clegane.

And like Veg, I love bullshit politics and dragons.

TheJazzMess
Jan 14, 2008

by angerbeet
Does AFFC get better after the 200 page mark? Cause that's where I've been stuck for the last couple of weeks. There is just nothing going on and it doesn't help that I was spoiled about some things a while back. Cersei is incarcerated and Jaime doesn't help her, Arya and Samwell Tarly meet up and she ends up blind because she did something she wasn't supposed to.

Kemchimikemkem
Dec 22, 2011

I also like the subdued approach to magic. In fantasy like Harry Potter it's kinda over the top, but when it's more rare, yeah, it actually feels magical.

Agreed on the characters, especially of course Tyrion. One possible criticism is the villains all seem one dimensional: they're all extremely abusive. Not a lot of subtlety to their badness when they're constantly screaming the worst of insults at people and/or raping/murdering/torturing them. Most of the villains felt very interchangeable in their personalities.

And one thing that irked me is what I thought was a lack of assertiveness in the main characters, who put up with a lot of poo poo. I mean, a few times there some asshat was in Jon's face, and yeah there might have been repercussions, but he should have knocked him the gently caress out. It's almost like Martin's own insecure ego was washing off on his characters who are constantly trodden on and failing (which may be a plus cause people love underdogs), except for Dani who really kicked rear end.

The names bug me with their overuse of "ae" and "y." Aegon, Varys, Daenerys, Petyr Baelish, Lysa, John Arryn, Maesters, Margaery. Some names are homeruns though, Gregor Clegane.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Kemchimikemkem posted:

Agreed on the characters, especially of course Tyrion. One possible criticism is the villains all seem one dimensional: they're all extremely abusive. Not a lot of subtlety to their badness when they're constantly screaming the worst of insults at people and/or raping/murdering/torturing them. Most of the villains felt very interchangeable in their personalities.

I don't really know what you're talking about. Who are the "villains" you're referring to? I guess people like Gregor Clegane would fit what you're describing, but he's just an agent of the Lannisters, as are most of the people like him just agents of someone else.

Kemchimikemkem
Dec 22, 2011

I mean many of the characters in antagonistic roles gave me that impression, whether big characters or one time encounters. Sandor (not always bad though) said the same stuff as Cersei as the Bolton guy as the Frey guy. And I don't think they're all that way; some felt like they had more depth like Tywin, one cold, cold guy.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Conduit for Sale! posted:

He is - or was, depending on your point of view - pretty good at pacing and plotting as well. The first 3 books never seemed to drag, at least for me, but I know some people were put off by the first 100 pages or so of the first book. I did kind of dislike how the first 3 books seemed to be "backloaded" ie the first 2/3 of each book is fairly mundane but sets up the last 1/3, which is crazy as hell.

I just came here to ask this. I'm about a fifth of the way through Game of Thrones. When do things start happening? I already want to stop reading and dedicate energy to other books. There's nothing to hold interest; reading about how life sucks from a bunch of different points of view has gotten old already.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Cyphoderus posted:

I just came here to ask this. I'm about a fifth of the way through Game of Thrones. When do things start happening? I already want to stop reading and dedicate energy to other books. There's nothing to hold interest; reading about how life sucks from a bunch of different points of view has gotten old already.

I mean this in the least rude way possible: if you can't make it more than 200 pages into GoT without getting bored, just quit. It's not the most fast-paced book in the series but it's also far from the slowest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I finally finished ADWD. Man GRRM, why you gotta be like that?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

TheJazzMess posted:

Arya and Samwell Tarly meet up and she ends up blind because she did something she wasn't supposed to.
Her blindness, like in any other soap opera in the world, is only temporary.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TheJazzMess posted:

Does AFFC get better after the 200 page mark? Cause that's where I've been stuck for the last couple of weeks. There is just nothing going on and it doesn't help that I was spoiled about some things a while back. Cersei is incarcerated and Jaime doesn't help her, Arya and Samwell Tarly meet up and she ends up blind because she did something she wasn't supposed to.

No. And ADWD is even worse.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TheJazzMess posted:

The latter half of AFFC is incredible.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

AGoT doesn't really start moving until the last quarter of the book, but once it does it gains enough momentum to last for about 2000 more pages. The entire first three-quarters of AGoT is table-setting, for the most part. I felt the same way you did initially, and put it down for nearly 3 years, but once I picked it up again and forced my way through it became awesome.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Handsome Wife posted:

I mean this in the least rude way possible: if you can't make it more than 200 pages into GoT without getting bored, just quit. It's not the most fast-paced book in the series but it's also far from the slowest.

This is stupid. Don't be stupid. The first 200 pages of every ASoIaF book are very slow (not uninteresting, just slow), AGoT being the worst. Tons of people have been bored after the first 100 pages or so, but then later came back, gave it another try and liked it. Myself included.

Cyphoderus posted:

Like I said, every book is basically 2/3 setup for the last 1/3. Personally, I've always found the last part to be totally worth the wait, at least for the first 3 books. I'd say if you have the time and energy at least finish the first book. It's a quick read and not terribly long for a fantasy book.

TheJazzMess posted:

Does AFFC get better after the 200 page mark?

As with everything, take what IRQ said and what Azure_Horizon said, split the difference, and you'll have something closer to the truth.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

cemaphonic posted:

Yeah, the events at the tower are referenced in several of Ned's memories in AGOT, but (unless I missed it) it's not named anything, it's just a tower, described as "long fallen" and located somewhere in the vicinity of Dorne. It's just an odd name if it started out in fandom, and people throw the term around like it should be common knowledge.

There's a line in AGOT where Ned thinks to himself about how Rhaegar called it that Tower of Joy but Ned has only bitter memories of it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Watch the tv show before reading book one I reckon. It lets you cotton on to ideas better but you still get pleasant wee suprises.

King Renly ohholyfuck

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Veg posted:

Watch the tv show before reading book one I reckon. It lets you cotton on to ideas better but you still get pleasant wee suprises.

King Renly ohholyfuck

I refuse to believe Renly is gay. He's the manliest of men after Stannis.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Octy posted:

How is he not manly? He fucks men. None of that sleek girly feminine poo poo, he wants to gently caress a man man.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Octy posted:

Gay men are manlier than straight men.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The Renly/Loras relationship always struck me as one of the more romantic ones in the series, I got a bit misty-eyed when the latter flew into complete rage and went on a homicidal rampage after the former got killed and later fought in his armor. True love.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Vivek posted:

There's a line in AGOT where Ned thinks to himself about how Rhaegar called it that Tower of Joy but Ned has only bitter memories of it.

Yep:

"Ned had pulled the tower down afterward, and used its bloody stones to build eight cairns upon the ridge. It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory."

Martin, George R.R. (2003-01-01). A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One (p. 356). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Im about 150 pages into SOS part 2.

I feel sick. Robb, Caitlyn and Arya all dead? Jesus gently caress gently caress. One thing confused me, the paragraph where GRRM said ravens were picking at her face? Actual ravens or a weird way to say she was being shot in the face by more arrows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Veg posted:

Im about 150 pages into SOS part 2.

I feel sick. Robb, Caitlyn and Arya all dead? Jesus gently caress gently caress. One thing confused me, the paragraph where GRRM said ravens were picking at her face? Actual ravens or a weird way to say she was being shot in the face by more arrows?

Literal ravens.
Also :(

• Locked thread