Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

MrFurious posted:

This is a really lousy way to teach the bell cue, where did you get this from?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3364451&pagenumber=39#post394760852

This is all that's available for the moment, but I have something longer and more comprehensive coming.

The way you're doing it right now you're going to associate the bell with treats, and you're going to hear the bell every 30 seconds for HOURS.

Teaching the dog to target the bell and then ring it before going out is the way I've always seen people teach a bell cue. You don't have to give a treat every time, but you can if the dog is reluctant and it should still work out. Once the dog starts ringing the bell voluntarily, you stop treating and just take them out. They may ring to go outside to play, but any associate with a treat should die very quickly, if it's strong at all.

I'm not sure why you need the leash and double ring steps in your write-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

Keep an eye out for circling and sniffing. That generally tended to be the cue that I needed to get Neige outside before she redecorated the carpet. We've now graduated to her sitting next to the sliding glass door and looking at me very pointedly. My husband is less skilled at noticing this "gotta poop" expression, so we're about to start bell-training (because it's infinitely easier to train a puppy than it is a husband, or so I've come to learn).

Right, thanks for the info. The dog is in a pack-n-play for now. We're going out of town for a few days, but when we come back, we're gonna start the crating process. I'll keep an eye out for that. I generally stare at him as I walk by, muttering 'god drat it, why are you loving CUTE!' to myself. Because he is too drat cute.

This stupid dog pooped at like 9am, and hasn't pooped again, despite being taken out like every hour. You are a puppy, you should be pooping! :argh:

edit: Welp. Dog pooped at 1pm. This is a super-puppy.

So I want to teach him to come to me when I say 'come' or 'feldman, come' and I'm not sure how. Should I approach him, then back off? Should i wiggle a treat at him? I'm not gonna be home for 2 days, but I'll check when I get back, or if someone wants to, shoot me an email at drthetodd at gmail.com

I figure getting him to come to me is first, then getting him to sit :v:

edit 2: When he will walk that is. drat dog will walk from the grass all the way inside. But try to get him to walk out of the apartment? Turns into a statue. :argh:

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 21, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I am in need of dog advice.

Last week I adopted a 6 year old (28 lb.) Beagle Mix from the SPCA. From what I was told she's been in general good health (aside from some fleas), and was turned-in by her owner who was going in to an assisted living home. I'm taking her for a vet appointment next week.

Overall she seems to be adjusting and I think I have everything in order, but she doesn't seem to want to go to the bathroom. In the 6 days and ~16 walks she's been on, I think she's poo'ed once. She's starting to eat more regularly, and I'd like her to be more regular so I'm not panicking about in-house accidents (she seems house-trained). Any suggestions?

Food
-2 quarter cups of Science Diet dry food a day
-For the first few days I mixed in some chicken and brown rice dog food mix since she seemed nervous about the move
-about half a pup-peroni stick a day

Walks
-2 walks a day
-each walk is about 3 blocks or so, some a tad longer
-Our walks are about 15-20 minutes long, she usually moves slowly so she can smell everything

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I am in need of dog advice.

Last week I adopted a 6 year old (28 lb.) Beagle Mix from the SPCA. From what I was told she's been in general good health (aside from some fleas), and was turned-in by her owner who was going in to an assisted living home. I'm taking her for a vet appointment next week.

Overall she seems to be adjusting and I think I have everything in order, but she doesn't seem to want to go to the bathroom. In the 6 days and ~16 walks she's been on, I think she's poo'ed once. She's starting to eat more regularly, and I'd like her to be more regular so I'm not panicking about in-house accidents (she seems house-trained). Any suggestions?

Food
-2 quarter cups of Science Diet dry food a day
-For the first few days I mixed in some chicken and brown rice dog food mix since she seemed nervous about the move
-about half a pup-peroni stick a day

Walks
-2 walks a day
-each walk is about 3 blocks or so, some a tad longer
-Our walks are about 15-20 minutes long, she usually moves slowly so she can smell everything

You've got food problems. For starters, Science Diet is generally regarded as a pretty low quality food. The pet nutrition thread can guide you towards something better, and you can sanity check a selection at https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com or several other sites. The exception is if there is a dietary condition that requires a prescription food -- then you're stuck with SD for the most part.

As far as the amount, you're feeding a total of half a cup of food per day?
I assume you're feeding this is that correct? If not, find the caloric content per volume (usually listed as kcal/cup) on the bag or on the website.

That one I linked above is listed as 3794 kcal/kg (374 kcal/per cupē). Based upon dogfoodadvisor's weight calculator, your dog needs roughly 750 calories a day for an inactive lifestyle. You're feeding roughly quarter of that, which is part of why she isn't pooping very much, but you're also starving your dog. I'd talk to your vet about this when you go in to see him/her.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I want to teach him to come to me when I say 'come' or 'feldman, come' and I'm not sure how. Should I approach him, then back off? Should i wiggle a treat at him? I'm not gonna be home for 2 days, but I'll check when I get back, or if someone wants to, shoot me an email at drthetodd at gmail.com

I figure getting him to come to me is first, then getting him to sit :v:

edit 2: When he will walk that is. drat dog will walk from the grass all the way inside. But try to get him to walk out of the apartment? Turns into a statue. :argh:

For a really strong recall, there are 5 rules I like to remember.
1. Only use the cue when you are sure you can make it happen.
You don't want the dog to rehearse thinking he can just decide not to.
2. Only say the cue once.
Most cues become irrelevant after many repetitions.
3. If the dog doesn't come, go and get him.
This goes along with #1; there has to be a consequence in order for the dog to pay any attention at all.
4. Never use your recall cue for something unpleasant.
He will associate "come" with the unfun thing that happened.
5. Reward, reward, reward!
I like to practice recall with a jar of meat baby food. As soon as the dog reaches me, I let him lick off the lid of the jar.

Now that you have some basic framework for your recall, there are a couple of awesome games you can play to practice. One is called the Runaway Recall.

Start by saying the dog's name, then your cue. Smack your legs with your hands, do the fanfare, then turn and RUN in the opposite direction. Odds are good that he will follow you, and quickly. When he reaches you, have a 30 second praise party that includes a major treat like baby food or human food - something really high value.

Another fun game is the Round Robin, which means you get to enlist the help of a friend or family member. You each stand at the opposite sides of the room, each armed with your high value reward arsenal. One of you says the cue, then does fanfare, like leg smacking and jolly talk and kissy noises (dog training uses a lot of fun technical jargon, doesn't it?). You can even squat down if it helps. When the dog reaches you, do your 30 second praise party with treats, then have the other person do the same thing. Go back and forth several times.

I'll email this to you as well, I just wanted to post it for everyone's benefit.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MrFurious posted:

You've got food problems. For starters, Science Diet is generally regarded as a pretty low quality food. The pet nutrition thread can guide you towards something better, and you can sanity check a selection at https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com or several other sites. The exception is if there is a dietary condition that requires a prescription food -- then you're stuck with SD for the most part.

As far as the amount, you're feeding a total of half a cup of food per day?
I assume you're feeding this is that correct? If not, find the caloric content per volume (usually listed as kcal/cup) on the bag or on the website.

That one I linked above is listed as 3794 kcal/kg (374 kcal/per cupē). Based upon dogfoodadvisor's weight calculator, your dog needs roughly 750 calories a day for an inactive lifestyle. You're feeding roughly quarter of that, which is part of why she isn't pooping very much, but you're also starving your dog. I'd talk to your vet about this when you go in to see him/her.

Yikes!

Thanks. The 1/4 cup was what the SPCA person I spoke with suggested, so that's scary.

Thank you for this!

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Yikes!

Thanks. The 1/4 cup was what the SPCA person I spoke with suggested, so that's scary.

Thank you for this!

It's important to keep the food you're actually feeding in mind, because calorie content per volume can vary dramatically, mostly based upon protein and fat content. SD has a lot of fluff in it, so it's caloric content per volume is kind of low.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

For a really strong recall, there are 5 rules I like to remember.
1. Only use the cue when you are sure you can make it happen.
You don't want the dog to rehearse thinking he can just decide not to.
2. Only say the cue once.
Most cues become irrelevant after many repetitions.
3. If the dog doesn't come, go and get him.
This goes along with #1; there has to be a consequence in order for the dog to pay any attention at all.
4. Never use your recall cue for something unpleasant.
He will associate "come" with the unfun thing that happened.
5. Reward, reward, reward!
I like to practice recall with a jar of meat baby food. As soon as the dog reaches me, I let him lick off the lid of the jar.

Now that you have some basic framework for your recall, there are a couple of awesome games you can play to practice. One is called the Runaway Recall.

Start by saying the dog's name, then your cue. Smack your legs with your hands, do the fanfare, then turn and RUN in the opposite direction. Odds are good that he will follow you, and quickly. When he reaches you, have a 30 second praise party that includes a major treat like baby food or human food - something really high value.

Another fun game is the Round Robin, which means you get to enlist the help of a friend or family member. You each stand at the opposite sides of the room, each armed with your high value reward arsenal. One of you says the cue, then does fanfare, like leg smacking and jolly talk and kissy noises (dog training uses a lot of fun technical jargon, doesn't it?). You can even squat down if it helps. When the dog reaches you, do your 30 second praise party with treats, then have the other person do the same thing. Go back and forth several times.

I'll email this to you as well, I just wanted to post it for everyone's benefit.

Thanks! I haven't quite left yet, some stuff has been delayed, but I'm about to leave. Before I go, Feldman saw himself in the mirror for the first time. Cue him thinking it was 'omg another dog!' and barking/playbowing at it. Should I discourage this? Or just let him go nuts at the mirror? It's been the ONLY time this little pup has barked.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Bash Ironfist posted:

Thanks! I haven't quite left yet, some stuff has been delayed, but I'm about to leave. Before I go, Feldman saw himself in the mirror for the first time. Cue him thinking it was 'omg another dog!' and barking/playbowing at it. Should I discourage this? Or just let him go nuts at the mirror? It's been the ONLY time this little pup has barked.

It's fine, unless you start noticing some kind of weird behavior that looks like it might be related to dog aggression or reactivity or something. Just be careful not to let the mirror fall on the dog if it isn't secured.

For extra fun, put the mirror on the floor and see if they will walk on it. This usually freaks them out.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
We're still running into issues with Hurley and my Wife. If it's just him and I, he will listen to me all the time. When it's just him and my Wife, he turns into 10-month old puppy mode and wants to chew on everything, not listen to her, and be a brat.

We had a trainer come down and show us some things, and now that my Wife has more time to do structured training with him, he seems to be responding fairly well. Although when they are not doing training exercises, he can be pretty energetic. I try to get him out for a walk once a day, fetch, and other games if I have the time.

Is this just what we can expect from a Cocker-Spaniel/Poodle at this age?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

get out posted:

We're still running into issues with Hurley and my Wife. If it's just him and I, he will listen to me all the time. When it's just him and my Wife, he turns into 10-month old puppy mode and wants to chew on everything, not listen to her, and be a brat.

We had a trainer come down and show us some things, and now that my Wife has more time to do structured training with him, he seems to be responding fairly well. Although when they are not doing training exercises, he can be pretty energetic. I try to get him out for a walk once a day, fetch, and other games if I have the time.

Is this just what we can expect from a Cocker-Spaniel/Poodle at this age?

You're going to get canned responses that say "exercise more" or "it's just a puppy."
There could be more to it though. What, specifically, did the trainer go over?

Any chance you could get some video of the behavior and put it on youtube?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

MrFurious posted:

You're going to get canned responses that say "exercise more" or "it's just a puppy."
There could be more to it though. What, specifically, did the trainer go over?

Any chance you could get some video of the behavior and put it on youtube?

Let me see if I can articulate this a bit more. It's hard since I'm not there and I'm going off what she tells me. The trainer showed us the "name game" where we teach him how to respond to his name better using a clicker and treats. Like I said, I have no issues with him and I'm currently working on a good recall with him, but my wife can't even get his attention sometimes. The other issue is that he only whines in his crate when we both leave together or it's just her leaving, not when it's just me. He just really has a huge attachment to her I think, and it's going to take some time to get that behavior to stop.

I exercise him as much as I can, but we both have careers and busy schedules so it's not always possible. When it comes to my Wife, he is just VERY excitable. Although as of today, he has finally stopped jumping up on her when she first comes home. I guess that ignoring him really works well. I'm going to have her read the OP tonight so she has more to work with.

I have to say, owning and raising a dog has been both the most rewarding experience I've had in my life thus far, and the most frustrating. He is SO smart, and you can physically see him get frustrated when he can't quite grasp what we're trying to teach him. It's also pretty frustrating for us because we know he's capable of a lot. We're really dedicated to making sure this dog grows up properly, so I hope we're not loving him up or anything. The Petsmart classes start soon and he will be enrolled for the socialization. He doesn't really have that much experience around other dogs yet.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 21, 2011

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

get out posted:

Let me see if I can articulate this a bit more. It's hard since I'm not there and I'm going off what she tells me. The trainer showed us the "name game" where we teach him how to respond to his name better using a clicker and treats. Like I said, I have no issues with him and I'm currently working on a good recall with him, but my wife can't even get his attention sometimes. The other issue is that he only whines in his crate when we both leave together or it's just her leaving, not when it's just me. He just really has a huge attachment to her I think, and it's going to take some time to get that behavior to stop.

I exercise him as much as I can, but we both have careers and busy schedules so it's not always possible. When it comes to my Wife, he is just VERY excitable. Although as of today, he has finally stopped jumping up on her when she first comes home. I guess that ignoring him really works well. I'm going to have her read the OP tonight so she has more to work with.

I have to say, owning and raising a dog has been both the most rewarding experience I've had in my life thus far, and the most frustrating. He is SO smart, and you can physically see him get frustrated when he can't quite grasp what we're trying to teach him. It's also pretty frustrating for us because we know he's capable of a lot. We're really dedicated to making sure this dog grows up properly, so I hope we're not loving him up or anything. The Petsmart classes start soon and he will be enrolled for the socialization. He doesn't really have that much experience around other dogs yet.

Socialization is really, really hard and its important is underplayed by vets these days I think. The super behaviorists out there (Dunbar in particular) are all pushing for socialization to start at near infancy, but it's also critical to make sure that the socialization exercises are controlled and known-safe. That's very difficult for the average owner to do, so puppy classes become even more important, even if you're not training anything. Dunbar highly recommends off-leash puppy classes for socialization.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I want to stress that he is not a BAD dog. He doesn't destroy anything, he doesn't pee or poo poo in the house. Pretty much all of the energy we see is in the evening when it's PUPPY TIME. Throughout the day, he is content to lay at my feet or snuggle up on the couch. He also sleeps through the night in his crate without incident.

We really got lucky, but I want to make sure we're taking the correct steps to shape him right.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

... so he just gets the puppy zoomies in the evening? what exactly is the problem? not listening for a little bit? a video would definitely be helpful to see if it's normal zoomies or something else.

for what it's worth, I had a conversation JUST EARLIER TODAY with my neighbor about our dogs getting the zoomies in the evening. Mine is 8 months, hers is about 2 years. They both get silly around 6pm and then settle down after an hour or so of wiggling and barking and jumping around. It doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

^^^^If I remember correctly from before, it's not just zoomies, but that the puppy is extra hyper and mis-behaved around the wife. My dog went through a similar phase. When my husband went to work, she would not leave me alone, jumping on me for attention, barking at me, etc.

get out posted:

He just really has a huge attachment to her I think, and it's going to take some time to get that behavior to stop.

This is pretty much just it. My dog is the same way with me in some ways. Though I do the majority of her training and she listens fairly well, she is better behaved for my husband and saves a lot of the crazy, attention-seeking, excess energy stuff for me. Over many months, she's gotten soooo much better that I thought she was over it, but now she's started deciding that going in the crate for me is bad and she doesn't wanna. She'll go in for him, but for me, she just stands outside the door. And once she's in, she whines. It's bad enough that I think I need to start her crate training over.

That's life with pups. :D

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 22, 2011

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Yup! Specifically with my Wife, though. He just wants to have puppy-time for about an hour and a half. He settles down around 8:30-9pm, then it's sleep time. Sometimes he will pace or play with his bed in his crate as we crate him for sleep, but it only lasts a minute or two.

I guess what I'm really asking is, is this an issue, or is this just what puppies do? I don't really see a problem with it either.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

get out posted:

We're still running into issues with Hurley and my Wife.

How much interaction does your wife have with him, in terms of training, exercise and feeding? And how much exercise is he actually getting each day?

Kiri koli posted:

This is pretty much just it. My dog is the same way with me in some ways. Though I do the majority of her training and she listens fairly well, she is better behaved for my husband and saves a lot of the crazy, attention-seeking, excess energy stuff for me. Over many months, she's gotten soooo much better that I thought she was over it, but now she's started deciding that going in the crate for me is bad and she doesn't wanna. She'll go in for him, but for me, she just stands outside the door. And once she's in, she whines. It's bad enough that I think I need to start her crate training over.

Lola must be the exception, not the norm. I do all training/exercise/feeding on an average day, and she listens to me better than I'd ever thought a terrier would. My mum just wants to play with her, and never really listened to me (:rolleyes:) so Lola nips her and gets all frantic and crazy when she comes home. She only listens to her when she wants to, too.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 22, 2011

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Nah, I imagine Psyche is the exception in that she displays some weird behaviors toward me even though I am her primary caregiver/trainer. It's just part of her neuroses, I think. As another example, she often settles down to chew her bone as soon as my husband gets home after ignoring it all day while I was home. On the other hand, she never jumps on me when I get home and throws a barking fit/jumps when my husband gets home.

:shrug:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

With my dog, I noticed a big improvement in the last month (aka less crazy "loosing his mind" zoomies and more just "wiggling around and being silly" zoomies) and I think it's a combination of the following:

1) we moved from an apartment complex to a quiet house which I think lessened his anxiety
2) he has a new neighbor best friend dog and they usually get about 30-45 minutes off leash running around time together
3) I'm feeding him breakfast in a bowl but then 3 smaller meals all from his kong wobbler which wears him out mentally

I don't think most people will be able to go through such a radical change as we did BUT feeding from a puzzle toy and scheduling off-leash runaround time with other dogs is definitely something to look into. We also noticed he calmed down a bit after getting neutered. In a couple weeks we're starting up agility classes again which I expect will help even more. (FYI my pup is a pretty high-energy herding dog- a corgi)

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks everyone, we both feel a lot better now about everything. I can see that socialization is definitely going to be a priority with him. We also got our Wobbler today and plan on feeding him his first meal from it on Thursday. Can't wait for that mess! Haha.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I came home and see the neighbor girl trying to get her dog which got loose from their yard. We live on a quiet street so it wasn't really in any danger of getting run over or anything. The girl was carrying a leash but the dog wouldn't go near her.

I took some dog treats and went in the street to help her. I threw some treats so it came near me and I was crouched down with my arms kind of crossed in front of me. It didn't eat the treats but it came over to me. The girl didn't approach us to come put the leash on but I wasn't going to grab a strange dog's collar. It sniffed near my hand holding the treat then growled and jumped at me. It bit me on my forearm (I was wearing a sweatshirt and puffy jacket so it didn't break skin). I jumped up and backed away and it continued to growl and come at me. I kicked him on the side when he tried to bite my foot and then he was done with me and walked away.

Is there anyway to have that situation go differently? It was a hard aggressive bite.

The dog is still loose and hopefully will get bored and go home soon.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Do you know your neighbors/the dog? Does the dog act like this (aggressive) regularly or is it abnormal for it?

As far as body language, leaning towards the dog can seem to be threatening to it, particularly if its already got crazybrains from being overloaded with being OMG FREE OUTSIDE. I assume you were also staring/watching the dog's eyes at some point - this could also be considered a threat by an already stressed dog.

I usually have a slip lead on me at all times for just such a situation (it seems like stray dogs find vet students pretty often!). I can usually get it on a loose dog without really having to touch the dog, as long as I can lure it over. Another option is to try to get the dog to follow you into an enclosed space where you can "corral" it so to speak. If you turn and move away and look like you're going somewhere fun (be enthusiastic, etc) and have treats, the dog might chase you. Not the absolute safest obviously as the dog is not bound to chasing you at all, but can't hurt to try in desperation.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 22, 2011

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
Recently got another dog. Now we have two dogs. One is clicker trained the other is not. How do I clicker train the other one without the one dog thinking he should get a treat to? Should I get something that sounds different for the new dog?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

McJuicy posted:

Recently got another dog. Now we have two dogs. One is clicker trained the other is not. How do I clicker train the other one without the one dog thinking he should get a treat to? Should I get something that sounds different for the new dog?

What about this one?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11330026

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

McJuicy posted:

The dogs should figure out soon enough which dog is being actively engaged. Or leave the other dog in a stay and periodically reward for staying to make it clearer.

I'm lazy so I just tell the other dog to go to his crate or another room while I'm working with the other one. They don't seem to mind these little training breaks when I alternate between them, I just have to make a point of not making the change seem like a time out for the dog having a break.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

McJuicy posted:

This can actually be beneficial to helping the new dog pick up behaviors more quickly. After getting through the basics of clicker training with the new dog, do training exercises with both dogs. Separate training sessions shouldn't be too much of an issue if you can crate one dog at a time or close off a room for clicker training.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So I might be doing internship with a trainer/behaviorist who does behavior evaluations and such for the Kentucky Humane Society next month, mostly focusing on behavior modification. :ohdear:

And I thought a life less might be interested on an update on RizieN's dog, Sagan, even if it's not much. We chatted earlier and he said sometimes she's better and sometimes not. Since they just bought a house and whatnot they can't really afford a professional, which I'm pretty sure they need. She's still pretty much reactive to... everything. I wish I lived closer to him so I could help. :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

For anyone interested, Lola is doing great with my friend H. She did bark a little, but stopped immediately when we started playing indoors fetch. She's since let H throw the ball for her, has let her stroke her, has licked her hand, and has laid on me whilst my friend was sat leaning against me on the couch. She is being a Very Good Dog :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I am back! Took Feldman to palm springs to let him meet my grandparents, aunt and cousins, who loved him to bits. Came back and got a crate for him. I figured the best thing to do is put a bed and his blanket in there, let him go in and out as he wants during the day to get used to it, yes?

Also: I'll put his leash on, but he won't walk. He'll stand like a statue, so I have to carry him outside. Oh, and he'll just randomly stop walking to stare at me/things around him. It's cute, but annoying!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Update on Loki: My girlfriend has been taking her out of her cage over the past few days and yesterday she was perfect. The day before she jumped a few times but my girlfriend said "no jumping" and went inside. After that, she stopped. We'll see how she is all over next week, but we're definitely off to a good start.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
How do I deal with 'I'm gunna fkin soil my crate if you put me in here because fk you I hate clean laundry' ? FYI, she has both separation and crate issues.

I've been working on making the crate a good place, treats, everything, she'll go in there on her own to sleep too, but its slow... just now, I walked her - she peed a lot so she was pretty empty, did a short training session with kibble in my room...

Threw a bunch of kibbles in the crate all around for her to seek out which she was... shut the door, soon after- she stops and starts whining and scratching of course.. and I am watching her and she starts peeing on her towels. I stop her, she ends up licking at her pee too(have seen her do it a few times, is this related to stress as well? she was not very thirsty) ...so I took her out to walk her. No pee, just a smidgeon of poop.

Do I take her out immediately when she starts peeing? She's never pooped in the crate (yet?) and I am so glad for that. I dont know if that will associate PEEING= OUT TIME! ......but if I leave her in there, will it be a ITS OKAY TO SLEEP ON MY GROSS THINGS message? Because she has pissed on her beds and cushions/where she sleeps several times before.

I think I will go ..clean up, natures miracle the thing and put her back in but Im not really sure how to approach that problem.

e: shes fine if she goes in on her own and gets ready to sleep, I can close it with no issues

Malalol fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 26, 2011

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
One of you who's farther along in training teach your dog to do this right now, I want to see it. :colbert:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Skizzles posted:

One of you who's farther along in training teach your dog to do this right now, I want to see it. :colbert:

Omg I want to try that!! I will see how far I get tomorrow!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Malalol posted:

Bed pissin'
Have you had her checked for a UTI or incontinence? If she's just peeing because she's anxious I would keep working on making the crate awesome (have you tried crate games?) and maybe remove any soft bedding until you work out the pissing issue.

skizzles posted:

One of you who's farther along in training teach your dog to do this right now, I want to see it.

I've tried to do between the legs maneuvers with Major but he's really tall and I'm really short and it just makes us both uncomfortable. :( I did teach him to shake today because we were both bored and people keep asking him to shake and he just stares blankly at them.

The behaviorist I go to was on the news today talking about the importance of getting help for behavioral problems and her new office. They're awesome people so I hope more people go to them but the segment kind of talked up the price which I think is going to scare people. They didn't mention that the costs are highly variable depending on the case and can cover years of help not just one super expensive appointment that will automatically fix your pet.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
With a half cup of kibble me and penny got to the stand between my legs and target the magazine level. Sometimes she'd land on my feet but mostly not. Thanks for that link. I need to learn some more tricks to teach her because she's in a serious biting me is fun phase.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 27, 2011

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
The rescue tells me she is fine and it is just anxiousness (she didnt do it at her foster...the pee everywhere thing, but she messed in the crate when left alone).

Having just the plastic pan makes it less appealing I think also : ( Ive got a bag of spare plain ol' white towels that I'm using, shes in there right now (door open) chewing on delicious PISS things.

She is actually out and about in the house during the day, and sleeps on the couch or whatever, its only once I get home at night, shes in my room and I do crating things that she'll get anxious now. (family doesnt want to deal with her yowling or messing in there when In gone) I hope thats not such a big deal :\ But that might be a good thing, since I'm still working on it at a slow pace? Once she's better, she can be crated once I'm at work instead of being out.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Yeah..
The crate pan was all clean and dry after natures miracle dousing, I put in 2 fresh towels, put her in and had thrown in some treats so I thought she would go after them, shut the door, resumed doing stuff (like a few inches away) and she was turning around/shuffling a bit I thought she was getting ready to lay down but I look up and shes PEEING.

AGH.
THere was no whining, no scratching, no anything! Except for what I interpreted to be getting cozy. :argh: Cleaned up, no more towels, put her back in, and now shes just sitting and whining. Did I teach her that peeing = out time?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Malalol, the first order of business should probably be a vet visit. UTIs are common in female puppies.

Also, I would just put her in a bare crate (no towels or anything absorbent). It might not be the most comfortable thing, but it's better than the pee-soaked alternative.

Once that's covered, if it seems like the peeing is becoming habitual consider stopping use of the crate for a few weeks while you try to break the habit and create a new one. Maybe an ex-pen with a pee pad (ugh, I know...) will be a better option for you. When you've created a firm preference for peeing outside slowly reintroduce the crate.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, and you can't really let your pup sit there in her own urine as that risks creating some nasty voiding habits in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Update on Corbin the reactive dog's socialization: he's doing much, much better. When we come across a dog or person on the sidewalk, he will look at me, and if they get too close for his comfort, he starts to walk away or hide behind me somewhat.
As for general anxiety, he's doing better, but still not at the level I'd like to see him. He's fine when left alone, but refuses to/whines/howls when he can't sleep in the same room as someone else. I'm not sure exactly how to break that since it's a new behavior, but he doesn't mark inside rooms or anything, so the compromise has been a dog bed at the foot of my bed for now.

• Locked thread