Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

goatface posted:

Yet Tim Westwood can't host a rap show at 1am that contains a single swearword without profusely apologising for it.

Tim Westwood shouldn't be allowed to do anything without profusely apologising for it.

Or do anything period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Tim Westwood's a legend who has made a greater cultural contribution to this country than most of the tossers idolised in this thread.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Leyburn posted:

Tim Westwood's a legend who has made a greater cultural contribution to this country than most of the tossers idolised in this thread.

my favourite Westwood quote is "Love the tunes, but what's up with the gay look" about Franz Ferdinand, and for some reason his reaction to being given a cup of tea in his MTV Pimp My Ride adverts was deeply hilarious. He's a caricature, and I think he's all too aware of it.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm pretty sure he means he changed the channel at nine to another channel and something with boobs in was already on and in progress. There can't have been even a hint of nudity in Heartbeat can there?

Once, in a harrowing scene, the policeman was stripped naked, and everything past his neck, forearms and shins was soft padding in a stretch of material like on a child's baby doll.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

2011wipe trailer

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

ZoDiAC_ posted:

2011wipe trailer

We REALLY needed a Newswipe this year.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

ZoDiAC_ posted:

2011wipe trailer

He looks like he's lost a lot of weight.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
Sherlock spoilers

Sorry, I've been out of town for a few days and did not see a separate thread had been created. I apologize.

Yarn! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 22, 2011

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Rapacity posted:

Is this Royle Family episode new? God drat they lay it on with a trowel. Worst programme I've seen this year. The original couple of series were great with just the right amount of awkwardness. This one is like they showed the first series to the loving Krankies and told them to let loose.

Such a comedown. I missed everything after the first couple and now it seems like an AWFUL parody of itself. I mean, what chav family wouldn't recognise that their tree was brushing the ceiling and that was in the 1st 2 minutes?? and chav is unnecessary in my last sentence because ANY FAMILY WOULD NOTIC... actually, gently caress it. Pure poo poo on a rope.

The problem is the format had pretty much run its course, but it was too popular to cancel and the writers didn't really have anything else going on, so the only option is to milk it until it's just a parody of itself.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Yarn! posted:

I looked through the last dozen pages and didn't see any mention of Sherlock Season 2. It premieres on New Years Day in the UK and sometime in May on PBS. In the last few days the BBC has released 2 clips and 4 thirty second trailers. All of the clips are a bit spoilery, so if you want to save the surprise, don't watch.

From a Scandal in Belgravia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r15rnnXE2lk

Also from Scandal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq3H6TDQ1rA

RUSH RELENTS ROCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF1Tndsfobc

RECKLESS NOR HURT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY185OCSYxg

SECRET HORNS LURK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lli_4IdBs3M

RUN ROCKS SHELTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1OjvcZB6Fc

There's a separate thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3456098 but just a warning that as part of the spoiler policy they are not posting episode titles.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Tim Westwood is basically Lee Nelson without the irony.

Junkenstein posted:

We REALLY needed a Newswipe this year.

I'd still rather have a Screenwipe... :smith:

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Metrication posted:

He looks like he's lost a lot of weight.

He's written about taking up running in his Guardian column.

Exercise? A woman? A child? We've lost the Charlie of yesteryear. He'll go soft and uncurmudgeonly.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

ChuckDHead posted:

Tim Westwood is basically Lee Nelson without the irony.

What? no he isn't last time i checked he also had a pretty hilarious twitter feed as well cant believe you would diss the big dog like that *explosions*

Cowboy Mark posted:

Exercise? A woman? A child? We've lost the Charlie of yesteryear. He'll go soft and uncurmudgeonly.

Ergh can we stop this, remember when he announced he got married in vegas and someone posted "that isnt very charlie brooker like :qq:" like this thread wants to keep him as some goon overlord.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 22, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

LE0N posted:

What? no he isn't last time i checked he also had a pretty hilarious twitter feed as well cant believe you would diss the big dog like that *explosions*

To be fair to Westwood, he has made one great cultural contribution to Britain, since he was apparently a big influence on Sacha Baron Cohen in creating Ali G.

Cowboy Mark posted:

I don't begrudge him his happiness, I just wish he'd make fun of TV regularly again. I enjoyed his higher-brow stuff on the understanding that it would be followed shortly thereafter by him calling a man from the TV a cock.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 22, 2011

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cowboy Mark posted:

...did you not watch 15 Million Merits, then?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

ChuckDHead posted:

I don't begrudge him his happiness, I just wish he'd make fun of TV regularly again. I enjoyed his higher-brow stuff on the understanding that it would be followed shortly thereafter by him calling a man from the TV a cock.

Charlies Guide to Parenting please

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LE0N posted:

Ergh can we stop this, remember when he announced he got married in vegas and someone posted "that isnt very charlie brooker like :qq:" like this thread wants to keep him as some goon overlord.

Seriously, no CHARRRRLIIIESS HAIIIIR please. I felt ill when people parroted that shitheel Brand.

He still is bitter and angry at the world guys, he just does it part time now. To stay sane.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's a persona :ssh:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hoops posted:

It's a persona :ssh:

Which is now hilariously almost as pompous as some of the people he mocked on Screenwipe.

I seriously wish he'd do some series documentaries about the British video game industry, culture and history. I quite liked Gameswipe.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So will the Eddie Izzard and David Mitchell team be able to make up for getting Jamie Oliver and Miranda Hart on Big Fat Quiz of the Year?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

drat it. I enoy both comedians but why such a lovely opposite team?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

thebardyspoon posted:

So will the Eddie Izzard and David Mitchell with a beard team be able to make up for getting Jamie Oliver and Miranda Hart on Big Fat Quiz of the Year?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

thebardyspoon posted:

So will the Eddie Izzard and David Mitchell team be able to make up for getting Jamie Oliver and Miranda Hart on Big Fat Quiz of the Year?

I quite like Miranda Hart. There's a certain directness to her. The sitcom isn't really my thing (the radio versions was OK) but it is without malice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Why the gently caress would they pick Oliver though? he is only amusing when he sulks when fat Americans don't listen to him.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I seriously wish he'd do some series documentaries about the British video game industry, culture and history. I quite liked Gameswipe.

Man that would be cool. Especially the early stuff, the 80's bedroom programmers like David Braben and Ian Bell and the kinds of relationships they had with publishers, everything in those days was so slapdash. There's some great stories in the history of Games; Tetris: from Russia with Love is brilliant.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I like Miranda Hart whenever she's not acting. It's odd. I thought she was bad in Not Going Out and 'Miranda' is unbearable but whenever I see her on a panel show or something I think she's great :3:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Did anyone watch that Behind the Scenes QI special? More specifically, did anyone see David Mitchell on it? Cause he was dressed as a loving pirate or something and no one seemed to feel the need to explain why.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why the gently caress would they pick Oliver though? he is only amusing when he sulks when fat Americans don't listen to him.
Probably a combination between trying to draw the most far-reaching demographic as possible, and somebody's agent being somebody else's agent's cousin or something.

No different from the array of guests they get on Buzzcocks, HIGNFY or Would I Lie To You?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Gameswipe really needed to decide whether it wanted to be accessible or niche. As it was, it was trying to be accessible while focusing on comparatively niche things, and didn't really work. I'd prefer that he goes with niche myself, especially since the last attempt at really "accessible" videogame TV was Gamezville, but I question whether the BBC would let him do that.

Even then, he'll never top Videogaiden.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Leyburn posted:

Did anyone watch that Behind the Scenes QI special? More specifically, did anyone see David Mitchell on it? Cause he was dressed as a loving pirate or something and no one seemed to feel the need to explain why.

I think he calmly explained on Twitter that that was just his normal attire and that it definitely wasn't for a show or anything.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

Gameswipe really needed to decide whether it wanted to be accessible or niche. As it was, it was trying to be accessible while focusing on comparatively niche things, and didn't really work. I'd prefer that he goes with niche myself, especially since the last attempt at really "accessible" videogame TV was Gamezville, but I question whether the BBC would let him do that.

Even then, he'll never top Videogaiden.
There just isn't the market for it. If you want a "grown-up" videogame show then you get one on Call of Duty/Rock Band/GTA/Halo/Fifa. Occassionally you might get something as niche as Final Fantasy. Anything else is just not on the radar.

Look at film, they get by on Film 2011 and the odd spot on Newsnight Review or the Culture Show. And the general public's knowledge of film is 50 times bigger than it is of videogames. Asking for a regular, niche-interest videogame programme is like asking for a regular, niche-interest programme on boxing/dance music/dog breeding. People pay to see David Haye fight/buy Ministry of Sound compilations/watch Crufts, but the market could never justify commissioning an entire series. There's a reason this stuff is confined to websites and magazines.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, but I for one, am really going to miss How Not to Live Your Life. The last episode was on last night, it was an hour long christmas special that tied up the series really nicely.

The show as a whole wasn't big, clever or even particularly funny most of the time, but I enjoyed it more than any other bbc3 show (though that is not a difficult achievement). David Armand is great and needs to get more work (remember him as the rejected rainbow rhythms dancer in peep show?). Thank god that Laura Haddock seems to be blowing up somewhat because I don't think I could take not seeing her on screen again, she is just breathtaking (although I do think she looked too skinny in The Inbetweeners Movie). I can't imagine Dan Clark on someone else's show (never saw that comedy showcase show he was involved in), but I hope he finds something else as well because there were some spots of brilliance in his writing and I still cared about Don even though he was a complete bellend.

Anyway, are there any other goons who felt even a little bit the same about this odd little show?

Fake edit: (could(I(use(any(more(brackets? ugh))))))

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I realised last night that 4OD is now available on Xbox, which was a nice surprise. So I sat down and watched a couple of episodes of Phonsehop. I rather quite liked it, is that a shared opinion here?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Wafflecop posted:

I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, but I for one, am really going to miss How Not to Live Your Life. The last episode was on last night, it was an hour long christmas special that tied up the series really nicely.

The show as a whole wasn't big, clever or even particularly funny most of the time, but I enjoyed it more than any other bbc3 show (though that is not a difficult achievement). David Armand is great and needs to get more work (remember him as the rejected rainbow rhythms dancer in peep show?). Thank god that Laura Haddock seems to be blowing up somewhat because I don't think I could take not seeing her on screen again, she is just breathtaking (although I do think she looked too skinny in The Inbetweeners Movie). I can't imagine Dan Clark on someone else's show (never saw that comedy showcase show he was involved in), but I hope he finds something else as well because there were some spots of brilliance in his writing and I still cared about Don even though he was a complete bellend.

Anyway, are there any other goons who felt even a little bit the same about this odd little show?

Yeah, me and a few friends watched series 3 religiously and I made sure to get all the DVDs last christmas and watch them too. Just checked when it was coming back recently and was pretty upset to see it had been cut - no real idea why, I thought it was fairly good as BBC3 shows go? I guess it was a bit niche as both times I "discovered" it were really by accident.

The two crazy girlfriend episodes in series 3 are bloody amazing though and some of the funniest modern sitcom episodes I've ever watched. Not many shows can be that fresh by series 3, and he always made sure to get the right amount of soapy storyline stuff in there as well, while maintaining a lovely surreal streak. I'll be sad to see it go :(

And yeah, who can't love Don, even if he is an utter penis?

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 23, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Wafflecop posted:

If that's the one about the guy who lived in his Gran's house (and silk robe) with his sycophantic friend and a teacher that he fancied and was constantly getting into awkward situations which played out in "5 terrible things to do in this situation" montages, then yes, I remember that. It was quite good, and now I wish I'd known that it was back.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

And poo poo I didn't know there was a new christmas special because I can't actually read. iplayer to the rescue!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brainwrong posted:

I realised last night that 4OD is now available on Xbox, which was a nice surprise. So I sat down and watched a couple of episodes of Phonsehop. I rather quite liked it, is that a shared opinion here?

I haven't seen it, but I recall earlier in the thread is getting slagged off quite a bit.

To each goons own I suppose.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only ever watched the first episode of it, and it was quite simply one of the worst things I've ever sat through. However, I thought the single episode of Mongrels I tried (the first one, from what I can tell in the ep guide) was appalling and that gets raved about in here for some reason.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hoops posted:

Look at film, they get by on Film 2011 and the odd spot on Newsnight Review or the Culture Show. And the general public's knowledge of film is 50 times bigger than it is of videogames. Asking for a regular, niche-interest videogame programme is like asking for a regular, niche-interest programme on boxing/dance music/dog breeding.

Or cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Or cars?

Or a program that is pretty much football match analysis?