Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

Electronic Optronic Tech, formely known as Fire Control Systems Tech.
We're supposedly the dudes that work on any sort of optical packages and systems - vehicle optics, gunsights, night vision, cameras, UAV sensor packages and onwards.
Again, it's a very obscure field - recruiter told me 2 were being hired this year, I was supposedly one of them.
The SQ and POET (general electronics) courses obviously have loads of people from other trades being filtered through that as well, but my actual occupational training has me wondering just what in the heck is gonna happen.
Consider my praying begun!

I have a few EO Tech friends, and they waited quite a while for their 3s to start. By quite a while, i mean a year on PAT platoon in Borden. During that time though you will be going to Kingston to do your POET, and you have to do a course called CET in Borden aswell. CET is common to all EME guys and its where you get your cap-badge. It really all depends on how many EO techs are waiting on PAT in Borden and when you get all of your courses done. Right now they are moving people to their courses pretty fast, just in the past they enlisted too many people so we were all stuck on PAT for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
What's PAT in Borden like? Is it terrible like Gagetown?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

What's PAT in Borden like? Is it terrible like Gagetown?

I heard good things about it. Aslong as the pizza boxes are piled to one corner you pass inspection. I also heard about a bunch of guys who took a week off and no one noticed. Probably all BS but who knows.

PAT in Meaford sucked dick.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

mr_selfdestruct posted:

I have a few EO Tech friends, and they waited quite a while for their 3s to start. By quite a while, i mean a year on PAT platoon in Borden. During that time though you will be going to Kingston to do your POET, and you have to do a course called CET in Borden aswell. CET is common to all EME guys and its where you get your cap-badge. It really all depends on how many EO techs are waiting on PAT in Borden and when you get all of your courses done. Right now they are moving people to their courses pretty fast, just in the past they enlisted too many people so we were all stuck on PAT for a year.

What exactly do you do while on PAT? I guess that slightly depends on the location, but the gist of it?

Glad to know there are actually EO Techs out there!! What fields, if anything, have your friends specialized in? I'm not even sure the information on the Forces webpage is up to date, and I heard something from one of my instructors about the trade being reworked yet again. Any and all info would be appreciated if you're willing to go digging for it from your EO buddies.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

DarkDobe posted:

What exactly do you do while on PAT? I guess that slightly depends on the location, but the gist of it?

Glad to know there are actually EO Techs out there!! What fields, if anything, have your friends specialized in? I'm not even sure the information on the Forces webpage is up to date, and I heard something from one of my instructors about the trade being reworked yet again. Any and all info would be appreciated if you're willing to go digging for it from your EO buddies.

You do tasks, range sentry, test prototype gear, pot cleaner for the kitchen (if you gently caress up), enemy force ( get to gently caress around in the forest and shoot at sleep hosed people). If you arnt on tasking you usually go to the gym in the afternoon, or sleep/ read or get let off before lunch.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 21, 2011

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

That actually sounds pretty fun... especially the enemy force bit.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
It is, especially if they give you arty sims, or IED's ( you should encounter these in Farnham) and get you to set up an ambush. I doubt you will be doing much of that because your not a combat arms guy, but we got to.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Your day to day life will consist of doing whatever they tell you to do that day. Which is usually nothing - sitting around. It's really boring.

EO Techs aka Toaster Techs get to do POET, in Kingston, which is a pretty sweet course! I took it a couple years ago, and its pretty mentally demanding in terms of military courses.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

mdivi posted:

Your day to day life will consist of doing whatever they tell you to do that day. Which is usually nothing - sitting around. It's really boring.

EO Techs aka Toaster Techs get to do POET, in Kingston, which is a pretty sweet course! I took it a couple years ago, and its pretty mentally demanding in terms of military courses.

POET sounds like the sort of course I will greatly enjoy. BMQ isn't exactly taxing past a bit of memorization and common sense where it comes to all the silly tests.

What is this CET course that was mentioned though?

What's Kingston like, for that matter?

I'm more or less resigned to not seeing any of my poo poo for the next 2-3 years, as I had them put it in storage for later relocation. So far as I've been told, they don't send it to you 'till your first posting... which is a looong ways off. Figures I had to do away with my brand new PC, too >_<

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Be like everyone else and buy an uber gaming laptop with the canex plan and pay $1000 more then its worth.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fraser CDN posted:

Be like everyone else and buy an uber gaming laptop with the canex plan and pay $1000 more then its worth.

Don't go reading my mind now. Seriously I intend to do just this Grad week.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Dont waste your money. Wait till you get to you first posting, see what your schedules gonna be like for the next few weeks. Then decide. Save up your money and buy one from Best Buy. Check out the G73 or G74 laptops. I have the G73 and its a powerhouse. Your going to Bordon, that canex there is like a department store, makes the one in St. Jean look like a gas station.

edit: Also for christ sake dont go buy a new car.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 22, 2011

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
My PAT was: 7:30 inspections every morning, sit around in an empty classroom all morning, terrible PT in the afternoon. Lots of stupid cock, lots of rear end in a top hat reservists as your CoC. It was absolutely terrible and the only point I considered just leaving one day and not coming back. The inspections aren't hard but getting inspected every day sucks rear end.

You can get a decent laptop for a decent price at CanEx, just don be an idiot and get a 2000$ one. I only lasted 3 weeks in Gagetown before folding because I was so god drat bored on PAT. Car is a good choice to, but again don't get a brand new Silverado for 40 grand. YOU CAN'T AFFORD THAT poo poo IDIOT. YOU MAKE 700$ A PAY.

I did PAT pretty recently compared to most guys here, but I'm pretty sure we've all seen the same mistakes. Buying big rear end TV's that get sold before they're even paid for because people get posted, buying Camaros on PTE 1 pay, falling in "love" with a fat chick you meet at 20/20 and asking to get posted to Gagetown.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Samu posted:

My PAT was: 7:30 inspections every morning, sit around in an empty classroom all morning, terrible PT in the afternoon. Lots of stupid cock, lots of rear end in a top hat reservists as your CoC. It was absolutely terrible and the only point I considered just leaving one day and not coming back. The inspections aren't hard but getting inspected every day sucks rear end.

You can get a decent laptop for a decent price at CanEx, just don be an idiot and get a 2000$ one. I only lasted 3 weeks in Gagetown before folding because I was so god drat bored on PAT. Car is a good choice to, but again don't get a brand new Silverado for 40 grand. YOU CAN'T AFFORD THAT poo poo IDIOT. YOU MAKE 700$ A PAY.

I did PAT pretty recently compared to most guys here, but I'm pretty sure we've all seen the same mistakes. Buying big rear end TV's that get sold before they're even paid for because people get posted, buying Camaros on PTE 1 pay, falling in "love" with a fat chick you meet at 20/20 and asking to get posted to Gagetown.

Hahahaha guess you weren't in the ghetto barracks. Our lawn was covered with a carpet of beer bottles, pools of old vomit in the hallways, some barracks rooms looking like something out of an episode of Hoarders. My room got inspected only once during my stay, during the clear out process from that shithole.

For the only time while I was in the army I would pray for a surprise barracks inspection by the base sergeant major. At the same time I heard that the course barracks were run like a loving Gestapo division, but our barracks were a no-go zone for anyone above a master-jack. gently caress Gagetown forever.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
I've been in Kingston the last two years and the base is really bad, but the town is great! You have Queen's, RMC, and SLC nearby, so the town is filled with college aged people. It's a pretty good party town.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

PAT pl for EME guys in Borden can go either way. By that I mean if you are lucky and course loaded right away, its really not that bad. You show up at 730 and either do PT or not, and then you get a 2 hour lunch, and your day ends at 1500. Fridays they usually send you on your way at 1100. Yeah you get to do enemy force for the CET course, or the DP2 course if you are lucky. There are some good taskings on the base, you just have to volunteer or ask your staff to get one. I was on PAT for almost 11 months, so I really started to get bored/fat.

I cant really tell you what normal EO Techs normally do in a normal day, because I honestly just dont know. But I have seen them working on LAVs alot, and I know that they take care of lasers and stuff. I think they used to be called Fire Control Systems Tech, so try looking up something about that too.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
selfdestruct, are you an eve player? I have harassed someone with your name in game.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Nope, wasnt me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

the shacks in Borden were pretty nice. The ones in Pet were ok when I was on DP1 arty

Meaford hahahahaha you are literally in a shack, or a mod tent. gently caress meaford up it's lovely rear end in a top hat forever.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

gently caress meaford up it's lovely rear end in a top hat forever.

If I never go back there, it will be too soon.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

In Pet you were reasonably close to Ottawa. And there were at least a FEW things to do in Pet itself.

In Meaford, what'r you gonna do, go to Owen Sound? Barrie? No you go to Wasaga and get tattoos that are 3x overpriced but you don't care because you're drunk on poo poo beer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm getting the feeling that officer PAT in the infantry school in Gagetown is very different from NCM PAT at other bases. :psyduck:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

MA-Horus posted:

In Pet you were reasonably close to Ottawa. And there were at least a FEW things to do in Pet itself.

In Meaford, what'r you gonna do, go to Owen Sound? Barrie? No you go to Wasaga and get tattoos that are 3x overpriced but you don't care because you're drunk on poo poo beer.

Don't forget going to Smuggler's and drinking until the strippers are hot.

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001
I don't post enough for anyone to form a hatred of me strong enough to warrant a custom title.

Vadoc posted:

Don't forget going to Smuggler's and drinking until the strippers are hot.

One of the most surreal experiences in my admittedly short career was seeing two senior NCOs in full DEUs getting absolutey smashed at Smuggler's, then dancing up on fat ugly girls at the Harb :wtc:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

tuyop posted:

I'm getting the feeling that officer PAT in the infantry school in Gagetown is very different from NCM PAT at other bases. :psyduck:

I hear on officer PAT they make you range officer and give you duties that arnt retarded. PAT for NCM was like babysitting till we got on course.

MA-Horus posted:

I took a Motorcycle Mechanic course on the east coast and my instructor was from Owen Sound, my first words out of my mouth was The Harb and he shuttered. gently caress Meaford, I have a friend posted there now who I was on DP1 with and he loves it. I guess he is in stores or something.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 24, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fraser CDN posted:

I hear on officer PAT they make you range officer and give you duties that arnt retarded. PAT for NCM was like babysitting till we got on course.

Yeah, I've been on PAT for two years now.

I've run three or four PWT 2 ranges for the school, done a bit of painting, tactical decision exercises, a whole lot of PT on my own time, section commander on some course workup training (:rolleyes:), admin o for one of the companies in the school, and now I'm the PAT platoon admin o. PAT Platoon has also been renamed to Officer Preparation Platoon, which is SO gay.

Typically, PAT Pl here involves showing up at 0730, 1000, and 1400 to check in for duties. Usually there are no duties and it's just PT on your own time and pers admin. People go back to the shacks and do whatever they want. In two years we've never had an inspection and as long as you just make your timings in the correct dress most of the time, you'll be fine. It's boring and depressing to just sit around on army welfare, but it's not torture.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Two years? Holy gently caress I couldn't make it that long. What's your trade? What are your shacks like?

PAT was depressing as balls for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Two years? Holy gently caress I couldn't make it that long. What's your trade? What are your shacks like?

PAT was depressing as balls for me.

I'm a broken untrained infantry officer. I live offbase now which is a huge improvement, but I lived in the F-Lines for a year with stints in H1. H1 isn't so bad, 4 to a room, communal bathroom and laundry.

The F-lines are nice, specifically F18 which is where I lived. Individual bedrooms, private bathrooms, pod laundry and common areas with HDTVs, fridges and microwaves. It's very nice. F3 and F4 are significantly worse. They rape you for R&Q though. I was paying nearly 750 a month before I moved out.

I'm still waiting on a BPSO appointment so I might be on PAT for more than a year before I get any training again. It's best not to think about it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Happy new year guys, enjoy your levees.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Wheee. I know I did.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I sometimes torture myself by reading army.ca, but it's worth it when you see a post like this:

quote:

Hey guys, recently I've been thinking about how I want to do something more worthwhile and less "routine" with my life and I've been considering enlisting in the CF as infantry. The thing is, I have multiple health issues, but none that are extremely developped.

1) I have asthma that is virtually in-existent when treated and very small symptoms un-treated that still allow me to do anything i want.
2) I have crohn's/ulcerative colitis which is an intestinal disease that is equally treated (but is far less threatening if untreated) that won't really show major symptoms until I'm much older unless I have a relapse which really wouldn't affect my performance in any category very much.
3) I have a degenerative liver disease (don't know the english name) that is, once again, completely treated and that doesn't affect me presently; only when I'll be older (~40 y.o.) if it isn't treated.

What I'm worried about is if I'll be rejected due to these 3 in the recruitment process. Like I said, chances of them actually affecting me during training/combat/whatever else are relatively slim.

I also enjoy reading the posts by high school superstars outlining their life stories, asking if they're special enough to get in to RMC. Lets me feel all superior.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
All our Canadian buddies left us at this establishment in southern Afghanistan and they took Tim Hortons with them.

gently caress Canada.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

compressioncut posted:

I sometimes torture myself by reading army.ca, but it's worth it when you see a post like this:

I used to frequent those forums a fair bit, but eventually I left because it wasn't worth my time to keep reading about the misdeeds and pure hatred of every single Muslim in the world and the insane libertarians. If that site was only recruiting info and no politics it would be a lot better/easier to find the funny.

compressioncut posted:

I also enjoy reading the posts by high school superstars outlining their life stories, asking if they're special enough to get in to RMC. Lets me feel all superior.

I enjoy that as well because I was accepted into ROTP as a 23 year old high school dropout who applied 2 months after the deadline. I used to just say that and not add anything else.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Packard Goose posted:

All our Canadian buddies left us at this establishment in southern Afghanistan and they took Tim Hortons with them.

gently caress Canada.

Hey, but we left our rink, enjoy that.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

MagicCube posted:

I enjoy that as well because I was accepted into ROTP as a 23 year old high school dropout who applied 2 months after the deadline. I used to just say that and not add anything else.

The best officers are CFTR, anyway :coal:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Lassitude posted:

The best officers are CFTR, anyway :coal:

I don't doubt that at all, but I can't complain about my entry plan because I've done gently caress-all since August and am getting paid (the benefits of Civi-U ROTP).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MagicCube posted:

I don't doubt that at all, but I can't complain about my entry plan because I've done gently caress-all since August and am getting paid (the benefits of Civi-U ROTP).

The university part of ROTP is absolutely the best, especially if you fail or break and hate your job and are then trapped in the forces for 3 - ∞ years. I'm sure that won't happen to you though! :)

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

tuyop posted:

The university part of ROTP is absolutely the best, especially if you fail or break and hate your job and are then trapped in the forces for 3 - ∞ years. I'm sure that won't happen to you though! :)

Luckily, my compulsory service is only 3 years since only 16 months are subsidized. But I'm going infantry officer, and I have read about what's happened to you, so I guess I'll just try and avoid injuries. (If possible)

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

All the money in the world couldn't convince me to CFR and give the army another 7 years unless I could just be a dirty reservist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

All the money in the world couldn't convince me to CFR and give the army another 7 years unless I could just be a dirty reservist.

I'm the same way, except replace reservist with officer.

I would never rejoin as enlisted again. Ever. Or as a clerk. The amount of bullshit you deal with is simply incomprehensible.