Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Combofiend is just that good to make Chris G bench a new character. Still, he relies on Hawkeye more than Firebrand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

40 OZ posted:

Uh i think some of this chris g firebrand criticism is losing perspective.

Wasn't chris g getting like top 3-4 in every single tournament he entered, while playing firebrand? If firebrand can get you that kind of results, then what is problem

No, he would play Firebrand until he got far enough that the character just didn't work any more and switch in Wesker. Or not do that and lose

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Since Ultimate has been out, Chris G has always switched to Wesker towards the end of tournaments if he wasn't bodying players.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Firebrand is good but I don't think he should be paired up with Ryu and Hawkeye, they don't really do much for helping him start his bullshit mixup and reset game and Firebrands assists are all kind of rear end so putting him on anchor isn't the best idea, even though a loaded Firebrand in XF3 is devastating.

Also another thing to think about is how Samaria Edge gives Ryu so much damage to his combos it's hilarious.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Has anybody ever managed to put Ryu's Denjin Mode to good use yet? Literally every time people have used it on streams they just kind of hop around for a bit and it goes to waste.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

AXE COP posted:

Has anybody ever managed to put Ryu's Denjin Mode to good use yet? Literally every time people have used it on streams they just kind of hop around for a bit and it goes to waste.

I made a gimmick team in H&H with 3 Ryus and the card that increases the duration of power up hypers. It was okay.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

AXE COP posted:

I saw Chris G or RayRay do the mission 10 hurricane kick loop once, and another time to use the hurricane kick super to hit someone near the top of the screen.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
I was up to 4th on the PSN leaderboards for H&H as of yesterday. I haven't played since I was using in order, ryu, mandarain, fin fang foom, with ghost rider, sentinel and hulk as my team. Jump S all day. Who needs supers? I stopped with a 217-71 record.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zexerous posted:

I was up to 4th on the PSN leaderboards for H&H as of yesterday. I haven't played since I was using in order, ryu, mandarain, fin fang foom, with ghost rider, sentinel and hulk as my team. Jump S all day. Who needs supers? I stopped with a 217-71 record.

Message me next time you're on.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Chris G looked like he had a lot of trouble finishing his plate with Firebrand. Getting assists that would help Firebrand extend combos or go for resets could help a lot. Lots of other top tier characters need/are really helped by select assists and select team builds so... yeah Firebrand seems pretty good. Also, Chris G is godlike.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Firebrand is good but I don't think he should be paired up with Ryu and Hawkeye, they don't really do much for helping him start his bullshit mixup and reset game and Firebrands assists are all kind of rear end so putting him on anchor isn't the best idea, even though a loaded Firebrand in XF3 is devastating.

Also another thing to think about is how Samaria Edge gives Ryu so much damage to his combos it's hilarious.

Firebrand's Demon Missle Swoop assist is really good, and Chris G never uses it when he has the chance. It's another way to add pressure if you got a guy like Wesker or Frank fighting (which is what I'm toying around with, placing Firebrand as my BnB anchor). Firebrand could help Ryu and Hawkeye with the swoop (definitely Hawkeye if Hawk's going to be spamming arrows during X-factor).

The problem I'm seeing with guys who use him is Firbrand's being treated a like a rush down guy, and his aerial tools aren't being used. I think he's more of a "I'm just going to annoying the bejesus out of you by poking and adding pressure until you mess up" like you would be fighting him in the GnG games. Of course, if you have the opportunity to slap someone on the ground go for it, but someone like Spencer or Wesker who can slap you stupid hard might make you want to think about other options.

Eh, just my two cents on Firebrand.

v v v
Combofiend and Viscant are the only two guys who really bothered to explore Marvel, and not just exploit the original "top tier" characters from MvC2 (well, at least Combofiend with Spencer).

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 23, 2011

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Is there any doubt that Combofiend is the best player in Ultimate right now? Chris G is good, so is Fanatiq, Noel, and Wong, but Combofiend seems like he's just levels above everyone.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Zexerous posted:

And then I beat you 10-5 today. :P

Ghost Rider Jumping S is just a bit annoying, but I'm starting to find holes in it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
edit: ^^^^^^^^^ what he said

So I am definitely getting better - I haven't been kicked from 9th Lord back to Fighter, at least - but I still get stuck getting beat up by dumb things.

I play Hulk(Gamma Wave)/Chun(Legs)/Doom(Beam). I get beat up a lot by stupidly cheap things, as Hulk mostly. For instance, Ghost Rider's jH (or is it jS? The jumping downward chain) over and over - it's like fighting a Dalshim that can do a long combo afterwards. It comes out faster than my Hulk or Doom can react/beam. Chun Li can jump over it and dash a few times generally, but if they're good with assists I'm stuck. I have a similar problem against Nova - his air-to-ground fire missile spam is faster than my beam characters so I'm stuck inching forward and put into a bad situation.

Any advice?

Also, aside from the above reason, characters I hate fighting:
* Virgil
* Dante
* Frank
* Zero

Mostly because their combos last forever, even through blockstrings, meaning that can eat up a huge chunk of your X-Factor time once you trigger it.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

YeehawMcKickass posted:

And then I beat you 10-5 today. :P

Ghost Rider Jumping S is just a bit annoying, but I'm starting to find holes in it.

because x23 has loving retard limbs. Oh hey, lookie that, I missed a full screen neck slice, I'd better smash on L and beat god drat near any attempt at a punish from half a screen away.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Zexerous posted:

because x23 has loving retard limbs. Oh hey, lookie that, I missed a full screen neck slice, I'd better smash on L and beat god drat near any attempt at a punish from half a screen away.

Hey, I like to be able to mash buttons and keep in your face with her. Better than at the start of vanilla where I was talon diving all over the place and not actually attacking.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Eldred posted:

Oh come on, did you watch that video? The second Chris G swapped him out for Wesker he started taking just about every game. Keep in mind this is, you know, arguably the best player in the country who's been stubbornly trying for a month but still can't make the screeching gently caress work against good players.

The Phoenix argument really doesn't apply here because that character took zero setup beyond building meter. Here you're talking about building an entire team around a character who does 300k in an optimal combo and gets blown up after even a single mistake.

No poo poo Chris does better when he plays Ryu and Hawkeye with Wesker instead of Firebrand. The entire point of my post was to point out that there is really good tech for Firebrand that neither Ryu or Hawkeye help him set up. On the other hand Wesker works with those 2 just fine and thanks to Wesker being old and Firebrand being new Chris has a lot more experience with him as well.

Claiming Firebrand only does 300k in an optimal combo is retarded, as is acting like having 850k health is unworkable when there are fantastic characters with lower health and bigger hitboxes.

EDIT: Just watch this video if you have any doubts he's a good character. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qAtybtQjE He can literally loop snapbacks into unblockables until the entire opposing team is dead.

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 23, 2011

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I know I've bitched and moaned here before about the learning curve online, but I'm finally (probably temporarily) a 9th Lord and am seriously appreciating going from being the scourge of Amateurs to playing white-knuckle bouts with Rangers and higher ranks. Reaching that sweet spot in a fighter feels great :)

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

Skychrono posted:

edit: ^^^^^^^^^ what he said

So I am definitely getting better - I haven't been kicked from 9th Lord back to Fighter, at least - but I still get stuck getting beat up by dumb things.

I play Hulk(Gamma Wave)/Chun(Legs)/Doom(Beam). I get beat up a lot by stupidly cheap things, as Hulk mostly. For instance, Ghost Rider's jH (or is it jS? The jumping downward chain) over and over - it's like fighting a Dalshim that can do a long combo afterwards. It comes out faster than my Hulk or Doom can react/beam. Chun Li can jump over it and dash a few times generally, but if they're good with assists I'm stuck. I have a similar problem against Nova - his air-to-ground fire missile spam is faster than my beam characters so I'm stuck inching forward and put into a bad situation.

Any advice?

Also, aside from the above reason, characters I hate fighting:
* Virgil
* Dante
* Frank
* Zero

Mostly because their combos last forever, even through blockstrings, meaning that can eat up a huge chunk of your X-Factor time once you trigger it.

Against ghost rider, use chun's wavedash to get under all his jump attacks. Ghost rider's main weakspot is below him and behind him if you can teleport. Doom can try to sj finger lasers and force Ghost rider to meet him in the air. In which case, if you land first you probably can get under his j.S. Ghost rider is a hard counter to hulk, I'd just tag him out somehow. Any hulk experts, please chime in, I have no idea what he's supposed to do here or any zoning matchup.

General strategies:
Vergil - most vergils do LMHSHSHSetc., pushblock the M or H and punish the whiff. Also whenever you see an assist being called, a teleport is probably close behind.
Dante - know what his moves cancel into what so you know what's safe and what's not. He has a lot of startup on his moves so keep on him. Beware of a teleport that's always behind and his box jump.
Frank - his slide and launcher is safe, if you can pushblock his slide, watch for a whiffed S. He is not that remarkable until lvl3 or 4, so if you can avoid his slide, he doesn't have much else.
Zero - I learned this from tapebot: Use all your meters, XF, whatever to kill him. Nobody knows how to fight zero

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Skychrono posted:

Against both Ghost Rider's j.S and Nova's javelin spam you can just jump forward (or super jump forward) and block. Eventually you will get in there but once you do you need to make it count, you'll probably have eaten some chip on the way in. Ghost Rider is a terrible matchup for Hulk. Even if you jump block through all the chains Ghost Rider can throw out a Heartless Spire and backdash away from you with his insanely fast backdash. Unless GR screws up and lets you in you need to back him into the corner so he can't run, zone him from the air, or get behind him.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I've been learning some stuff with Deadpool and learning the timing on his harder combos and I was on the verge of taking back everything bad I ever said about him. Now that Maximillian put this video out I think I am ready to take back everything bad I ever said about Deadpool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-GliCycjK0

PS - I think I found a good incoming mixup with Deadpool + lockdown assist. Assist, TK bolo so it hits the instant they appear on screen, Quick Work. If the bolo hit you combo out of Quick Work. If the bolo didn't hit either let the quick work rock under cover of the lockdown assist or cancel it with a teleport (which can cross up) and come out of teleport with overhead or a quick c.L.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I switched over from the 360 version of the game to the PS3 since I'm sick of paying for Live, and I've noticed a few things, and I wonder if anybody else's experience has been the same. Notably, I've never gotten hatemail or ragequits on Live, but I've gotten both on PSN. Weirdly, my connection has been a lot more consistent on PSN than on Live, too.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

Heath posted:

I switched over from the 360 version of the game to the PS3 since I'm sick of paying for Live, and I've noticed a few things, and I wonder if anybody else's experience has been the same. Notably, I've never gotten hatemail or ragequits on Live, but I've gotten both on PSN. Weirdly, my connection has been a lot more consistent on PSN than on Live, too.

The stereotype of PSN players being more mature is off because I ran into people who screamed/cursed at me during Little Big Planet games (I wanted to slap everyone I played the PS3 version of Harmony of Despair with, and this from grinding a character for 65 hours with people on Live). Say what you want about Live (it's denizens aren't any better than PSN's), but you're an idiot to think PSN's this "awesome, SoCal gaming community" nerds make it to be. Connection-wise PSN seems meh, but then I live in a redneck area.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Schmendrick posted:

...PSN's this "awesome, SoCal gaming community" nerds make it to be.

What is it that you think SoCal means?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Schmendrick posted:

All the SoCal manchildren Pros will exploit the "best" character anyway.

Schmendrick posted:

(I'm guessing they still had tourneys with him, telling anyone who wasn't a cool, SoCal kid with a PS3 didn't have a PS3 to piss off)

Schmendrick posted:

GRRRLZ AND COMINT ABOUT GRRLZ IN MY SOCAL FIGHTING GAEMZ

Schmendrick posted:

for 5-10 minutes it was just about some guys having a SoCal circle jerk or how they stroll around uncanny valley SoCal and getting high/doing nothing afterwards while a match was going on

Schmendrick posted:

Of course if you want to put a picture of your favorite anime girl or Juri in a bikini like some SoCal loser nerds, you're on your own.

:psyboom:

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

Schmendrick posted:

The stereotype of PSN players being more mature is off because I ran into people who screamed/cursed at me during Little Big Planet games (I wanted to slap everyone I played the PS3 version of Harmony of Despair with, and this from grinding a character for 65 hours with people on Live). Say what you want about Live (it's denizens aren't any better than PSN's), but you're an idiot to think PSN's this "awesome, SoCal gaming community" nerds make it to be. Connection-wise PSN seems meh, but then I live in a redneck area.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
He's either going for a very bad burn on the Southern California community for a while now, or he doesn't really understand the term.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In his defense, East Coast Beast Coast

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
For real though, what did you think that word meant Schmendrick? And how exactly were you trying to use it? Because it's obvious that in your world, SoCal is something really distasteful but there aren't even any common threads in how you use it besides that...

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm just going to be blunt, what is the most cheap way to win H&H mode?

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

"" posted:

Going nuts over SoCal rips

I...wasn't even serious with half of the comments.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Schmendrick posted:

Only half?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Schmendrick posted:

I'm still interested in what you think 'SoCal' meant...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is all very interesting but... wait, no it isn't very interesting at all!

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

Countblanc posted:

This is all very interesting but... wait, no it isn't very interesting at all!

I agree. Anyway, I still think Firebrand's aerial game has to be used a little more if he's going to be used in a fight. Frank and Strider seem good for pressure, but I haven't tried Wesker's non-otg assists (might as well have Wesker for the heck of it).

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Schmendrick posted:

DANCE MY SOCAL PUPPETS

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Schmendrick posted:

SoCal is literally Southern California. It's not related to video games aside from the fact that it's where a major fighting game community is.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is there a better SoCal list of the cards than the one flatluigi posted: http://www.capcom-unity.com/marvelvscapcom/go/thread/view/102977/28773325/Heroes__Heralds_Ability_Card_list

There's one at SRK that breaks them into categories based on what they do but requires clicking "Toggle Spoiler" 20 times in order to text search it.

If there isn't a good list is there some site that will let me host a spreadsheet? I will make one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dren posted:

Is there a better SoCal list of the cards than the one flatluigi posted: http://www.capcom-unity.com/marvelvscapcom/go/thread/view/102977/28773325/Heroes__Heralds_Ability_Card_list

There's one at SRK that breaks them into categories based on what they do but requires clicking "Toggle Spoiler" 20 times in order to text search it.

If there isn't a good list is there some site that will let me host a spreadsheet? I will make one.

Make one anyway. Goon-made things are always the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I'm willing to make a new OP because this one is pretty SoCal.

• Locked thread