Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And that's when the earth was buried under miles of self replicating printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
For a few years, ABS became the new currency.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

KaLogain posted:

I imagine he means it prints out all of the parts that you can then assemble into one.

I thought this was obvious. Learned something about goons today.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syntaxrigger posted:

I thought this was obvious. Learned something about goons today.
That they possess reading comprehension skills and interpret sentences according to how they're written? I knew what you meant, I was posing a conceptual brainstorm.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Jesus, you guys can expect a few new faces in the community; that guy on Kickstarter with the Printrbot was trying to raise $25,000 and at the moment has $448,000(!) with 6 days to go. 750+ people bought a version of the full kit, he's made his own new 3D Printer demographic. It's sort of frightening when that happens to a Kickstarter project. It's probably going to take years to get all the kits shipped.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Splizwarf posted:

Jesus, you guys can expect a few new faces in the community; that guy on Kickstarter with the Printrbot was trying to raise $25,000 and at the moment has $448,000(!) with 6 days to go. 750+ people bought a version of the full kit, he's made his own new 3D Printer demographic. It's sort of frightening when that happens to a Kickstarter project. It's probably going to take years to get all the kits shipped.

I was super excited at first because I thought you were referring to Junior Veloso's kit. Now I'm sad.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
If Veloso ever does release his kit, and its not hideously expensive. I was waiting for ages for him to release it, but I've all but given up. Probably going to build a Prusa now.

I'm kind of vaguely annoyed yet happy about the printrbot. It's awesome that more people are getting into 3d printing, but its crazy expensive and not going to be as good as a prusa which is roughly equivalent in cost, so it kind of feels like a ripoff.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am one of the people supporting printrbot on kickstarter who has been interested in 3d printing for ages but never jumped in. The price point, userbase, and readiness of the kit just pushed me over the edge to put money down. I don't mind waiting for it to come (and keeping up with the guy's posts I really doubt it will take months and months to get everything out), which seems to be a big potential hang up for some in this thread.

I understand the argument some of you are making about just spending that time saving during the months you are waiting to drop it on a better printer, but for me and a couple friends who are also getting one of these that isn't what we want. We want something at a better price point that has a lot of the front work done and we can tinker with some, and then down the line build something better if we need it. It might be more expensive in the long run, but for just getting into 3d printing it is perfect for us.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
But what I dont get is that its comparably the same price as a RepRap Prusa? IE 500 vs 400-600? and you dont have to wait, and you'll have a better printer in the end. It just strikes me as bizarre.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

devians posted:

But what I dont get is that its comparably the same price as a RepRap Prusa? IE 500 vs 400-600? and you dont have to wait, and you'll have a better printer in the end. It just strikes me as bizarre.

The Kickstarter project is selling on accessibility. The guy behind it is advertising something that's basically plug and play, and the Prusa is not so... packaged. I think that what the Printrbot compares to in terms of enticing new users is the Makerbot units, which are a lot more expensive. Specs be damned, from an outside interested perspective they're the same thing: a nicely-packaged 3-D printer that looks cool and works.

tl;dr: Linux/PC/Mac Cola Wars is why.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

devians posted:

How they spend their money is their problem. Just be glad that home 3d printing is becoming much more popular!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Splizwarf posted:

The Kickstarter project is selling on accessibility. The guy behind it is advertising something that's basically plug and play, and the Prusa is not so... packaged. I think that what the Printrbot compares to in terms of enticing new users is the Makerbot units, which are a lot more expensive. Specs be damned, from an outside interested perspective they're the same thing: a nicely-packaged 3-D printer that looks cool and works.

tl;dr: Linux/PC/Mac Cola Wars is why.

This is pretty much it for me. While it is something I have always wanted to do, the kickstarter, whether true in the end or not, has succeeded in giving the perception of providing an easy way to jump into 3D printing and at a good price point.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Haven't seen this mentioned yet in the thread, but if you guys haven't already seen it, check out the MendelMax.

It's a variation on Reprap Prusa Mendel using Aluminum extrusions for a fuckload of rigidity, less finicky build process, and looking cool as poo poo. No more fiddling with precise tightness of opposing nuts on a threaded rod to align things.

More pics from the designer in this album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111347501166295022626/MendelMax

Parts sets available for purchase from lulzbot.com

I wish I would have built one of these instead of my prusa, but the project was not published until after I had started. I will probably still build one, or convert my current printer to one, not quite sure yet. Kinda waiting for a bit more cash at the moment.

I already printed one piece on my prusa to test out if my axes were flipped (they were :downs:)

STL files available on thingiverse.

The original parts were designed in non free Alibre CAD software, so there is a github project where the cad files are currently being ported to the free and open source FreeCAD software, which is scriptable with Python. The idea is that eventually you can specify what printer dimensions you want, and the scripts will scale the part designs for you. The parts on github is very new and I don't think 100% tested yet. If printing your own parts, I'd recommend using the thingiverse models unless you want to be a beta tester for the new part designs.

I don't have any relation to anyone selling this stuff or the designer, except for talking to them in IRC, wishing I had one, and offering to help convert some scad files then failing to deliver on that v:v:v

Oh, by the way, there is a #mendelmax specific IRC channel on freenode, the designer's nick is "maxbots".

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 12, 2011

Peter Ugsly
Apr 5, 2006

WAIT A MINUTE, SOMETHING'S WRONG
HE'S THE MAN FROM THE PAST
HE'S HERE TO DO US A FAVOR
A LITTLE HUMAN SACRIFICE
IT'S JUST SUPPLY & DEMAND

peepsalot posted:

Haven't seen this mentioned yet in the thread, but if you guys haven't already seen it, check out the MendelMax.

It's a variation on Reprap Prusa Mendel using Aluminum extrusions for a fuckload of rigidity, less finicky build process, and looking cool as poo poo. No more fiddling with precise tightness of opposing nuts on a threaded rod to align things.

More pics from the designer in this album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111347501166295022626/MendelMax

Parts sets available for purchase from lulzbot.com

I wish I would have built one of these instead of my prusa, but the project was not published until after I had started. I will probably still build one, or convert my current printer to one, not quite sure yet. Kinda waiting for a bit more cash at the moment.

I already printed one piece on my prusa to test out if my axes were flipped (they were :downs:)

STL files available on thingiverse.

The original parts were designed in non free Alibre CAD software, so there is a github project where the cad files are currently being ported to the free and open source FreeCAD software, which is scriptable with Python. The idea is that eventually you can specify what printer dimensions you want, and the scripts will scale the part designs for you. The parts on github is very new and I don't think 100% tested yet. If printing your own parts, I'd recommend using the thingiverse models unless you want to be a beta tester for the new part designs.

I don't have any relation to anyone selling this stuff or the designer, except for talking to them in IRC, wishing I had one, and offering to help convert some scad files then failing to deliver on that v:v:v

Oh, by the way, there is a #mendelmax specific IRC channel on freenode, the designer's nick is "maxbots".

My roommate, Sparr, has committed a complete redesign of this printer. His MendelMax puts the rest of the printers we have here to absolute shame. He's having problems with it printing too fast and the layers not being solid enough before the next one is lain down. Awesome problem to have. Also, I've started ripping smooth rods from printers and scanners now, since he's built a bunch of scripts to procedurally generate the parts I figure hell... it should work!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Peter Ugsly posted:

My roommate, Sparr, has committed a complete redesign of this printer. His MendelMax puts the rest of the printers we have here to absolute shame. He's having problems with it printing too fast and the layers not being solid enough before the next one is lain down. Awesome problem to have. Also, I've started ripping smooth rods from printers and scanners now, since he's built a bunch of scripts to procedurally generate the parts I figure hell... it should work!

Heh, small world. Yeah I talk to sparr on IRC a lot, is he a goon too? He did a ton(all) of work on converting the models to freecad; kinda what I was talking about when I said I offered to help, then failed to deliver, because he basically did it all before I had a chance.

Also, strange coincidence, both of our hotends popped in half on the same day just a few days ago.

As for printing layers too fast, depends on the size of the object. Happens even with relatively slow print speeds, on a tiny enough object. A fan on the x carriage, point to the work piece helps a bit with that. I got a 40mm fan(~6-7cfm) from Fry's and bent some aluminum sheeting and drilled holes in it to mount it. You can see the fan, but not much view of the mounting plate from the pic above.

There's some talk of adding fan speed control to slicers based on layer size. I think that would be the ideal solution, but not sure if most current hardware/firmware can even do fan speed regulating like that.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 14, 2011

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I am loving silver ABS.

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Instant asshole: Just add beer

techknight posted:

I am loving silver ABS.

That looks awesome. Roughly how long did it take to print that, and do you really have to watch it the whole time? I would print trophies for *everything* if I had one I think.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

YardGlass posted:

That looks awesome. Roughly how long did it take to print that, and do you really have to watch it the whole time? I would print trophies for *everything* if I had one I think.

It actually was only about an hour an forty mins, I just watched a recent Wednesday Night Fights while it printed.

In general you don't have to sit and stare while something prints, assuming you have a spool of filament that doesn't need tending to, but I think of it way: do I want to go on a long walk while a balsa wood box is melting plastic at 220 degrees in my living room?

So.. Trips across the street to the convenience store, no biggie. But I'm not going to leave for the day while something is printing. I've had a 7+ hour print (one of the human torso statues, wide and tall the whole way up) die 30 mins from completion because a stray cable caught on something while I wasn't paying attention. :(

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

techknight posted:

It actually was only about an hour an forty mins, I just watched a recent Wednesday Night Fights while it printed.

In general you don't have to sit and stare while something prints, assuming you have a spool of filament that doesn't need tending to, but I think of it way: do I want to go on a long walk while a balsa wood box is melting plastic at 220 degrees in my living room?

So.. Trips across the street to the convenience store, no biggie. But I'm not going to leave for the day while something is printing. I've had a 7+ hour print (one of the human torso statues, wide and tall the whole way up) die 30 mins from completion because a stray cable caught on something while I wasn't paying attention. :(

Is Wednesday night fights a Street Fighter thing? Can't really tell from the link as nothing plays for me.

Thanks for the info. How do you tell when something like a cable snags without looking? Does it make a different noise? I love the idea of it, but it kinda sounds like a gigantic pain in the arse.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
An update for the chocolate printer.... a film!

https://vimeo.com/33775105

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

YardGlass posted:

Is Wednesday night fights a Street Fighter thing? Can't really tell from the link as nothing plays for me.

Thanks for the info. How do you tell when something like a cable snags without looking? Does it make a different noise? I love the idea of it, but it kinda sounds like a gigantic pain in the arse.

Yeah, weekly streamed SF/MvC3 tourney. You basically just get to know the sound of your printer. The snag was due to a bit of wood broken when I installed a power supply where the switch didn't line up with the holes, and the extra long cables I added when installing the z-axis extender.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, it's been printing for two weeks, and I haven't gotten a clean print yet.

Close, but not quite there. I burned out a trace on the motherboard, then replaced it with a fuse holder and some wire. Then I burned out ANOTHER trace, because while the three mosfets are capable of dumping 10A each, the ground trace was only good for 10A. So, 8A in the extruder, 9A (continuous) in the heat bed, eventually leads to smoke. First at the motherboard, then (after solder bridges and some more #14s), in my power supply.

So, I've got solder and automotive fuses, and homebrew parallel redneck wiring, and this thing BURNS. I figure I can source 50A continuous at 12V now, which is probably more than this 480W power supply can give me for more than a few minutes.

Now all I need is some 5V NEMA-17 steppers, since these 24V ones just can't give enough torque to get my feedrates above 10mm/sec.

Also, my bolt hobbing skills sucked. I called around asking machine shops and the like, and they all wanted more than :tenbux:, which is all I thought it was worth. I realized I had a CNC machine capable of stupid fine control, So I lashed a dremel to my frame, and hobbed my own. Much more consistent grip. So consistent, that I was able to pull enough current from the power supply to burn out the grounds (see above).

I love this thing, and I'm not sure I care if I ever get a valid print out of it.

Here's a picture of the dremel. Look at all the wasted ABS below the heat bed, along with zip ties, springs, washers, cleaning products, etc. How can you not love something so tinker-based?

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Post more stuff you've made please. Is anyone using them to make x-mas gifts?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

YardGlass posted:

I made a couple of christmas tree ornaments and another 4X LEGO minifig:

blambert posted:

An update for the chocolate printer.... a film!

https://vimeo.com/33775105

This project is so awesome. I posted about it over on Ponoko just now: http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/12/22/chocolate-3d-printed-advent-calendar/

I'm definitely thinking of setting up a Frostruder to do something similar at Site 3 for next christmas.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Here's a neat thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14204

Laser cut prusa clone. I plan to modify the design so I can cut it on a slightly smaller laser cutter.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

YardGlass posted:

I'm busy printing gift tags and custom bottle openers.

ChrisDKK
Jul 18, 2002

I printed gift tags/labels too, they've been pretty well received so far.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
Haven't had the money to get into the whole open source FDM thing, but there's a chance another guy from my lab (we work with nano 3d printing research), myself, and a third dude might play around with desktop stereolithography next semester. I'm excited.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ChrisDKK posted:

I printed gift tags/labels too, they've been pretty well received so far.

These are very special in the best way, the plain brown packaging sets them off perfectly, plus I bet everyone keeps their nametag afterwards. You make me want a printer even more.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

techknight posted:

I made a couple of christmas tree ornaments and another 4X LEGO minifig:

This project is so awesome. I posted about it over on Ponoko just now: http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/12/22/chocolate-3d-printed-advent-calendar/

I'm definitely thinking of setting up a Frostruder to do something similar at Site 3 for next christmas.

Sorry man I completely forgot to reply to your PM. Blog post is great, thank you, we're gonna release our 'how we did it' in the new year, just been busy with other stuff.

I'm having a cardiac ablation in the new year... gonna get the 3D model of my heart from the surgeon and print my girlfriend a hilariously creepy valentines present.

blambert fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 23, 2011

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

blambert posted:

Sorry man I completely forgot to reply to your PM. Blog post is great, thank you, we're gonna release our 'how we did it' in the new year, just been busy with other stuff.

I'm having a cardiac ablation in the new year... gonna get the 3D model of my heart from the surgeon and print my girlfriend a hilariously creepy valentines present.

Wow, that's awesome/scary! What's a cardiac ablation th..

Mayo Clinic Online posted:

Cardiac ablation is a procedure that can correct heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias). Ablation typically uses catheters — long, flexible tubes inserted through a vein in your groin and threaded to your heart — to correct structural problems in your heart that cause an arrhythmia.

..oughgodowowow

Seriously though that model had better get uploaded to Thingiverse. :)

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Here's a new super-small model from Vienna. It runs almost five grand, but it's apparently got resolution of a twentieth of a millimeter!

Here´s a TED talk regarding this: http://www.ted.com/talks/klaus_stadlmann_the_world_s_smallest_3d_printer.html

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Does anyone have any idea where this guy went?

http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/

I was so excited :( and it seems he's just vanished :iiam:

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone have any idea where this guy went?

http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/

I was so excited :( and it seems he's just vanished :iiam:

I kept checking that for updates every day, and one day I saw a new comment. It was a wall of text, someone was telling him not to sell out to a larger company (I forget the name). A couple of days later the comment was deleted.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Saw the banner and my interest was piqued. I sculpt and sell miniatures (28mm to starships) as a hobby, and lately I've been thinking of ways to improve the detail on my models. One way of course would be to sculpt them in CAD and get them prototyped, but I have zero experience in CAD, and I don't think that would work very well anyway as I am a very tactile person and like to feel the things I am making (I cuddle my starships in bed for inspiration - don't ask)

In any case, I thought it would probably be feasible for me to make a physical master, scan this into a 3D model, and then proceed to add the fine details there. The main question at this point is whether I would be better off sending my stuff to a company for scanning, or attempting to construct my own scanning rig.

I've read about the DavidScanner in the OP, and that doesn't seem particularly suited for the type of work I am looking for (poor resolution). However browsing around I've seen some scanning rigs which have been built with DSLR cameras (Specifically the PicoScanner, which looks like a DSLR + gorilla grip + light attachment: Link), and as an owner of an Canon EOS550, I was wondering if there are any instructions on replicating that. To further clarify, I also have no programming or electronic experience, so some kind of software solution with plug and play parts is probably the most feasible option for me if it exists.

I am keen to learn CAD, but not so much so electronics and programming, so if a jury-rigged 3D-scanner is going to involve soldering PCBs and writing code it's out.

On a related note, are there any hobby-priced wax printers? From what I've seen, 3D printing the type of stuff I'm planning to do will almost certainly require a wax printer (Ninja Magic does it for miniatures) as the Shapeways stuff is truly horrid.

A sample of the stuff I do: http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z the IVth posted:

Saw the banner and my interest was piqued. I sculpt and sell miniatures (28mm to starships) as a hobby, and lately I've been thinking of ways to improve the detail on my models. One way of course would be to sculpt them in CAD and get them prototyped, but I have zero experience in CAD, and I don't think that would work very well anyway as I am a very tactile person and like to feel the things I am making (I cuddle my starships in bed for inspiration - don't ask)

In any case, I thought it would probably be feasible for me to make a physical master, scan this into a 3D model, and then proceed to add the fine details there. The main question at this point is whether I would be better off sending my stuff to a company for scanning, or attempting to construct my own scanning rig.

I've read about the DavidScanner in the OP, and that doesn't seem particularly suited for the type of work I am looking for (poor resolution). However browsing around I've seen some scanning rigs which have been built with DSLR cameras (Specifically the PicoScanner, which looks like a DSLR + gorilla grip + light attachment: Link), and as an owner of an Canon EOS550, I was wondering if there are any instructions on replicating that. To further clarify, I also have no programming or electronic experience, so some kind of software solution with plug and play parts is probably the most feasible option for me if it exists.

I am keen to learn CAD, but not so much so electronics and programming, so if a jury-rigged 3D-scanner is going to involve soldering PCBs and writing code it's out.

On a related note, are there any hobby-priced wax printers? From what I've seen, 3D printing the type of stuff I'm planning to do will almost certainly require a wax printer (Ninja Magic does it for miniatures) as the Shapeways stuff is truly horrid.

A sample of the stuff I do: http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com

autodesk have an app that turns a series of photos into a 3d model, its free at the moment and can output files that other 3d modelling software can use.

http://www.123dapp.com/catch

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

There's only so much that you're going to get out of a hobbyist solution, so if you need fine detail and accuracy you might want to send your stuff out.

Other hobbyist scanning projects:
Fabscan - http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/12/19/fabscan-open-source-3d-scanner/
Spinscan - http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/08/18/spinscan-the-3d-printed-3d-scanner/

Have you considered modeling from scratch on the computer? There are sculpture-like modeling tools that you might find natural to use, like Sculptris: http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

tunah posted:

I kept checking that for updates every day, and one day I saw a new comment. It was a wall of text, someone was telling him not to sell out to a larger company (I forget the name). A couple of days later the comment was deleted.

Yea this is what I was mostly afraid of...i'm pretty sure at this point someone bought him out.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I hope it's a good 3D scanner or a giant-size MakerBot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So uh, apparently my (relatively local) alma mater just got a Z-printer Ultra for teaching a 3-D printing class because a friend told the Dean it was a good idea. What do I do now?

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 5, 2012