Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

big duck equals goose posted:

I'm just going to be blunt, what is the most cheap way to win H&H mode?

Ryu, Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom.

Enjoy having infinite xfc the whole match. Can't do supers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
gently loving caress these socalers!!!

stop running away schemdrik what does it MEAN?!?!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
poo poo, I thought it was South Carolina all this time, My life is a lie

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

stay depressed posted:

I'm willing to make a new OP because this one is pretty SoCal.

It's actually pretty NorCal. Get it right.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Actually, I think it's pretty MidWes... :smith:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

PalmTreeFun posted:

Actually, I think it's pretty MidWes... :smith:

...ker?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Brosnan posted:

Arthur is still just on the level of "good if you have xfactor and they don't," which is true of basically everyone in the game.

I wish Capcom would just hand off the patch "direction" to someone else. I feel that with changes, a lot of characters would be much more interesting/viable, but you just can't trust CAPtain COMmando to do it right [tron bonne 2011-2011]

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Guilty posted:

...ker?

If the Midwest scene even existed as much as Wesker I'd be happy, much less be as good as him.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Zexerous posted:

Ryu, Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom.

Enjoy having infinite xfc the whole match. Can't do supers though.

Local guys have been soft banning Fin Fang Foom because it turns into Fin Fang Foom decks and counter Fin Fang Foom decks.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is it me or did Tron drop off the face of the earth?

I fought every member of the cast (including MODOK) but no sign of Tron or Hsein-Ko.

If anyone has a UMVC3 Tron video please post.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
The only reason to pick Tron other than sincerely liking the character disappeared in Ultimate. Strangely enough I almost never see Sentinel players online any more, and when I do they're almost always Hulk/Nemesis/Sentinel and playing how you'd probably expect.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The assist nerf was all she needed, there was no need for the other nerfs. I miss her. :(

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I... lost REALLY badly in H&H yesterday. I lost to a guy using - Main Servbot card. Mephesto & Unlimited XFactor.

He just.. stood there and I couldn't win :(

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
If anyone is interested in some non-H&H Xbox Live games, I'll be on for a bit, LurchQDelacroix
I'm a stupid newbie running Bum's Haggar/Hulk/Chris team

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
dimitri/gene/gene with something like zero/nova/sentinel is hilarious

snapbacks are free, steal over a bar in meter, and make you invisible with two characters that have gigantic limbs that can't miss. You can swap one of the genes for leon to get an attack boost if you wanna be serious and not just troll people

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Andrew_1985 posted:

I... lost REALLY badly in H&H yesterday. I lost to a guy using - Main Servbot card. Mephesto & Unlimited XFactor.

He just.. stood there and I couldn't win :(

You have to throw/command throw him. He didn't have a health regen card, you could have won. Also, Haggar is a pretty strong counter pick. I have been running a similar build and it's hilarious to watch people be totally unable to attack you. The best is when they figure out that they need to throw you, but they figure it out towards the end of the round when there's not time to kill enough of your team so you can just let them hit you but they still lose.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there any way to fight on HnH mode with your friends or do you just have to hope for a random pairing?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

darealkooky posted:

dimitri/gene/gene with something like zero/nova/sentinel is hilarious

snapbacks are free, steal over a bar in meter, and make you invisible with two characters that have gigantic limbs that can't miss. You can swap one of the genes for leon to get an attack boost if you wanna be serious and not just troll people
You should put Ghost rider in there somewhere his snapback is the best!

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Is it me or did Tron drop off the face of the earth?

I fought every member of the cast (including MODOK) but no sign of Tron or Hsein-Ko.

If anyone has a UMVC3 Tron video please post.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/24/shes-still-got-it-a-umvc3-tron-bonne-combo-videoguide/

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

I wish Capcom would just hand off the patch "direction" to someone else. I feel that with changes, a lot of characters would be much more interesting/viable, but you just can't trust CAPtain COMmando to do it right [tron bonne 2011-2011]

I would say Arthur is good when in X factor and even still pretty good when the opponent is in X factor as well. He mostly sucks because he is so drat slow and in X factor he goes a reasonable enough speed to be able to fight, not to mention the full screen super fast lock down.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Arthur's a really fun anchor with level 3 xfactor and gold armor. Massive waves of chip.

lance lance lance lance muda muda

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Ocatamai posted:

Arthur's a really fun anchor with level 3 xfactor and gold armor. Massive waves of chip.

lance lance lance lance muda muda

Arthur is on my team for the 20 seconds of terror. Gold armor is 20 seconds X factor level 3 is 20 seconds, AND WITH THEIR POWERS COMBINED I WELCOME ALL TO CHIP TOWN.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Gold Armor Scatter Crossbow is great, too. I was fighting a guy online tonight and the bolts kept looping behind his back and interrupting his attack. Actually, regular crossbow isn't bad either if you do it in the air at a distance.

Does anyone know what Arthur's b.H looping sword thing is for?

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
Merry Christmas and happy Chanukah/ kool kwanzah to all the marvel goons. I am 28 and I woke up early. It's like I am 7 again and I never quite understand it. Also for some reason this is more important to me than fighting games.

Anyway, have a great holiday everyone. Here's to making everyone else salty in the new year xx

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.
Finally got this game yesterday, and christ, Frank West is a fun character. Best of all, he works perfectly with one of my favorite vanilla characters, Viewtiful Joe.

Joe's great because his multi-hit Mach Speed hyper ends in a launcher, so ground chain > Mach Speed > Triple-jump air combo > Air-Joe > exchange means an instant level 4 for Frank as soon as he enters the fight, and at the cost of only one meter!

Too bad I haven't touched vanilla MVC3 since Skyrim came out and now I'm so goddamn rusty at this game...

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Anyone have thoughts on a good third for GhostRider/Doom?
I have pretty low input skills, it's my biggest weakness, but I'm actually able to do those 2's basic combos with a good deal of reliability(screw up doom's a lot if I'm not in the corner though), and I actually like using them too. I've been messing around with a few people but no one's really clicking. I figure I have time to passably learn a new third and surprise my friends the next time we meet up for some fights.
I like to use GhostRider on point, with Doom acting mainly as an assist barrage, using plasma beam, but I'm still pretty open to swapping some stuff around.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sentinel would be good, drones assist can support them both pretty well.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Groghammer posted:

Pre-emptive anti-air, it's pretty much his only move that goes above his head.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

LibbyM posted:

Anyone have thoughts on a good third for GhostRider/Doom?

GR/Dorm/Doom is a pretty good team. Dark Hole assist is very easy to extend GR combos with, plus Dorm benefits a lot from either plasma beam or hidden missiles and he has high damage DHC options. He also has the capability to play more keepaway if it was working for you with GR, or change it up and get in peoples faces which is nice.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Seizure Robot posted:

No poo poo Chris does better when he plays Ryu and Hawkeye with Wesker instead of Firebrand. The entire point of my post was to point out that there is really good tech for Firebrand that neither Ryu or Hawkeye help him set up. On the other hand Wesker works with those 2 just fine and thanks to Wesker being old and Firebrand being new Chris has a lot more experience with him as well.

Claiming Firebrand only does 300k in an optimal combo is retarded, as is acting like having 850k health is unworkable when there are fantastic characters with lower health and bigger hitboxes.

EDIT: Just watch this video if you have any doubts he's a good character. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qAtybtQjE He can literally loop snapbacks into unblockables until the entire opposing team is dead.

Hurk bleurgh my pet character can't be awful, watch this exploit video someone made in practice mode

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Eldred posted:

Hurk bleurgh my pet character can't be awful, watch this exploit video someone made in practice mode

Hurk bleurgh Firebrand is definitely awful because he has low combo damage and my hero Chris G loses with him sometimes against pro players while using a team that doesn't come close to unlocking his full potential.

Don't pay any attention to the fact that he has great mixups, movement options, unblockable setups and resets combined with almost undoubtedly the most broken thing in this game right now in the form of a potential full team touch of death, if Chris G can't win grand finals or beat Combofiend with him on his Ryu/Hawkeye team no one can make him work on any team.

Also, exploit video :lol:

Disease
Oct 6, 2011

Groghammer posted:

Press b+H, wait until it almost comes back to you and jump / super jump at your opponent. If you timed the jump correctly the flying thing will hit them, you can be holding back to block in the air the entire time this is happening. You can also use it with j.S for a double air attack.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Seizure Robot posted:

Hurk bleurgh Firebrand is definitely awful because he has low combo damage and my hero Chris G loses with him sometimes against pro players while using a team that doesn't come close to unlocking his full potential.

Don't pay any attention to the fact that he has great mixups, movement options, unblockable setups and resets combined with almost undoubtedly the most broken thing in this game right now in the form of a potential full team touch of death, if Chris G can't win grand finals or beat Combofiend with him on his Ryu/Hawkeye team no one can make him work on any team.

Also, exploit video :lol:

Would you really call that anything but an exploit? Do you think, if Phoenix Wright's invincible assist got patched out, that the unblockable on that charge move won't get removed when this catches on?

It's an exploit, the character's bad, enough essays

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Eldred posted:

Would you really call that anything but an exploit? Do you think, if Phoenix Wright's invincible assist got patched out, that the unblockable on that charge move won't get removed when this catches on?

It's not an exploit, there were 3 other unblockable moves in the previous game and none of them even got even the slightest change in the transition to Ultimate. This isn't some crazy new idea they're trying (like purposefully putting in an assist that is absolutely 100% invincible the entire way through), it's not going to get patched out. That set-up requires the corner and Morrigan (who's generally not considered a good character at all) and works best with Skrull also helping (who's not considered all that great, and is pretty uncommon). It's not that crazy.

edit: And let's not forget that Sentinel, who's a pretty common and good character, can escape for only 1 meter.

Dr Slouch fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 26, 2011

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Slouch posted:

It's not an exploit, there were 3 other unblockable moves in the previous game and none of them even got even the slightest change in the transition to Ultimate. This isn't some crazy new idea they're trying (like purposefully putting in an assist that is absolutely 100% invincible the entire way through), it's not going to get patched out. That set-up requires the corner and Morrigan (who's generally not considered a good character at all) and works best with Skrull also helping (who's not considered all that great, and is pretty uncommon). It's not that crazy.

edit: And let's not forget that Sentinel, who's a pretty common and good character, can escape for only 1 meter.

I'm not familiar enough with the other unblockables to comment but I'm assuming they can't lead into a one-touch kill on an entire team, especially on a character who has a braindead drag to the corner and is balanced by low damage output. Capcom's a business more than anything else and if this catches on I think they'll bow to pressure and change it, plus if you don't feel any guilt over winning like that you are a tool regardless of what his highness Sirlin says.

To be honest I was mostly messing with whatshisface for being smug theorycrafting fighting game nerd #3289327 but I don't want to kill this thread so I'll drop it

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Eldred posted:

This is pretty dumb, and very wrong. Firebrand is a really scary character, and not because of his unblockable set up. He has some of the fastest L/R mixups in the entire game, especially now that Magneto's dashes are a little slower. He can nearly instantly go from the air, to behind you on the ground for a low. Try playing good players and blocking that, then report back!

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

If you read the video comments, someone setup an H&H team to exploit that loop and Capcom did specifically nerf that Firebrand move in that mode (made it so you don't spin out if you get hit with it in the air, you just fall), but it would be much more abusable if you didn't have to charge it and have a specific assist to hit incoming characters with it.

It's probably on their radar but I don't think tournaments would ban it because a one-touch would basically be 2 minutes straight of perfect execution after picking what's considered a low-tier team. I don't think Capcom will patch it on their own because probably no one will ever get one-touched by it online (as opposed to the thousands of casual players who probably got demolished by invincible Wright assists online). It takes the guy a minute to kill 1 low life character and the way he was snapping he wouldn't have been able to loop the third character because the other 2 would be dead (although maybe he can X-factor lvl 1 when the last character comes in and kill him with the 1 meter he has, don't know Firebrand that well).

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

SVU Fan posted:

This is pretty dumb, and very wrong. Firebrand is a really scary character, and not because of his unblockable set up. He has some of the fastest L/R mixups in the entire game, especially now that Magneto's dashes are a little slower. He can nearly instantly go from the air, to behind you on the ground for a low. Try playing good players and blocking that, then report back!

I am sorry but I must of missed it but can you post this unblockable set up please?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

SVU Fan posted:

Jesus christ, it was a flippant joke because the guy's been posting three paragraphs of condescension in response to everything he disagrees with. Enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Eldred posted:

Jesus christ, it was a flippant joke because the guy's been posting three paragraphs of condescension in response to everything he disagrees with. Enough

I was detailing why Firebrand isn't a terrible character in response to you claiming he is over and over with no reasoning behind it other than "low damage" and "but Chris G..." but ok dude.

If you're done trolling I can totally be done pointing out the total inaccuracy of all of your posts and it will definitely be for the better.

• Locked thread