Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEE HEE
Nov 4, 2009
skeng 2011
take it killa p and flowdan are no longer buds :(

http://soundcloud.com/killapmc-music/skeng-the-bug-ft-killa-p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Tactical Grace posted:

Can't remember who reccomended Käärkäsi but thanks. I just bought his recently released Hypno EP, its pretty solid.

Awesome, glad you like it. Also you are supporting a really fantastic group of dudes by buying it. ´They showed me an absurd amount of hospitality when I played a few gigs in Estonia.

And keep an eye out for my next release, it will be on the same label "Lejal Globe" ;)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Eyo what's that new JME single called? I heard it on Spyro's show today but didn't catch the track title. I think the Generals are on it too. Quality stuff

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Eyo what's that new JME single called? I heard it on Spyro's show today but didn't catch the track title. I think the Generals are on it too. Quality stuff

Is that 96 Fuckries you're talking about? Out in January apparently.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yes! Thank you. I'm so glad JME is back MCing.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Nah Like just released an EP of lush bass goodness on the young french label Soukouch Ethnik and now they have put together a great mix for Le Polygone Podcast. The podcast airs on some french college radio station and is a collaboration between the labels B.YRSLF division, Full Fridge, Get Flavor, and Soukouch Ethnik. Between these crews and Club Cheval I expect a lot of interesting bass music to come out of France in 2012.

Mix:
http://soundcloud.com/le-polygone-floodcast/le-polygone-floodcast-11-nah

EP:
http://soukouch-ethnik.com/2011/12/se007-nah-like-get-closer-ep/

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Dopo posted:

Nah Like just released an EP of lush bass goodness on the young french label Soukouch Ethnik and now they have put together a great mix for Le Polygone Podcast. The podcast airs on some french college radio station and is a collaboration between the labels B.YRSLF division, Full Fridge, Get Flavor, and Soukouch Ethnik. Between these crews and Club Cheval I expect a lot of interesting bass music to come out of France in 2012.

Mix:
http://soundcloud.com/le-polygone-floodcast/le-polygone-floodcast-11-nah

EP:
http://soukouch-ethnik.com/2011/12/se007-nah-like-get-closer-ep/

Nah Like did a remix of one of my tracks, it's going to be released on my EP being released on Soukouch Ethnik early next year

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Number Two Stunna posted:

Nah Like did a remix of one of my tracks, it's going to be released on my EP being released on Soukouch Ethnik early next year

Nice! Do you have a soundcloud or twitter?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Dopo posted:

Nice! Do you have a soundcloud or twitter?

http://soundcloud.com/glottis5

I have a twitter but it's mostly bad puns and me complaining about stuff

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

TEE HEE posted:

skeng 2011
take it killa p and flowdan are no longer buds :(

http://soundcloud.com/killapmc-music/skeng-the-bug-ft-killa-p

This is forever the grimiest track. Really wish it took off and we had a bunch of MC's on it.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Excellent. I thought his recentish Twitter Freestyle was dope too.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Mike_V posted:

Cool man, be sure to let us know how Tiesto and Benny Benassi are :)

My friends want to go see them but I'd rather stay in the Bass Hall to see Diplo, Excision and Flux.

Merry Christmas everyone, be safe the next few days.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Number Two Stunna posted:

Awwww poo poo yeah. Grats dude :)

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

My friends want to go see them but I'd rather stay in the Bass Hall to see Diplo, Excision and Flux.

Merry Christmas everyone, be safe the next few days.

Same to you & the rest of you lot.

(Ok, ok, no more British slang out of me.)

I've got about four hours of cooking ahead of me today, mixes to keep things moving in the kitchen, but I also treated myself to a plug-in and got CamelPhat while it's still on sale. Off work all next week, will see if I get anything good going in the studio with all the free time.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Ghetts just dropped his new Christmas mixtape! Haven't given it a listen yet, but it's free.

http://ghetts.bandcamp.com/

[edit] well it seemed to be free at first, and the banner says free as well but it appears to cost five GBP.

Decline fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 25, 2011

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Grimeforum just posted Lemon Sessions 2, this one is definitely free!

http://www.grimeforum.com/headline/lemon-sessions-2

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Maguro posted:

Awwww poo poo yeah. Grats dude :)

Thanks man, I'm really proud of it. :)

I got the mastered versions as well as the cover art recently, they're very well done. I'm really excited for it to drop.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Tinchy Stryder released a free EP yesterday: http://soundcloud.com/takeover/sets/tinchy-stryder-the-wish-list/

It's not outstanding but a lot of the tracks have interesting production, in my opinion. Also, I liked Ghetts verses, but then again I'm apparently in the minority of people who like Ghetts.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Tinchy Stryder released a free EP yesterday: http://soundcloud.com/takeover/sets/tinchy-stryder-the-wish-list/

It's not outstanding but a lot of the tracks have interesting production, in my opinion. Also, I liked Ghetts verses, but then again I'm apparently in the minority of people who like Ghetts.

People who don't like Ghetts are people you probably shouldn't be speaking to anyway.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Oh, has anyone heard rumors of who will do the next Rinse mix? I'd like to see Gabe Heatwave get a shot, but he never seems to play at the big Rinse events so I odn't know if he's tight with management or not. Vectra is my second choice, but I don't think they'd do another grime mix right after E+S. MA1 is my realistic choice, I guess.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I swear I heard on a recent show who it was going to be but I can't remember for the life of me. My brain says Boy Better Know but I doubt it.

TEE HEE
Nov 4, 2009

Mike_V posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss66h2UZNiY goes hard, reckon hes gonna be winning people over again this coming year

TEE HEE fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 25, 2011

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
More free Christmas grime! http://kingpmoney.bandcamp.com/album/oh-geezus-its-christmas-again

Teddy Music released a new EP but its' 5 quid for 4 tracks...yikes. Check it out here: http://teddymusic.bandcamp.com/

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
I'm not a grime dude, but the latest Mishka mix by Darq E Freaker is pretty bangin.

http://soundcloud.com/bloglin/keep-watch-vol-xxxi-darq-e

Anyone know what the track is with the Kill Bill sample over it? (Starts at about 24:00)

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
So i listened to the new Skrillex EP, cause i figure you should probably listen before slating it at every opportunity. Overdone subject i know but i hear people say he's actually a good producer for some reason. The midrange tracks sound like stuff done 3 years ago simply. Tons of stuff sounds like presets and melodies made by just drawing a random line in FL Studio, there's chopped up vocals and other elements seemingly just for the sake of it and i still don't get the point of these high pitched random synths placed around. It's not just generically bad like say Excision it's a different level of crap.

I can understand the popularity in some places though when it must seem so different and new to a lot of people. So to make a point of this, how long do people think the hype of this midrange stuff can last in the US considering it's not changing at all?

And to add something less lame um the Two Inch Punch EP on PMR Records is cheesy but kinda cool (boomkat says it's electro-step r&b apparently), and the Killawatt 12" on Black Box is great.. the b-side is very jungly and nice.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

So i listened to the new Skrillex EP, cause i figure you should probably listen before slating it at every opportunity. Overdone subject i know but i hear people say he's actually a good producer for some reason. The midrange tracks sound like stuff done 3 years ago simply. Tons of stuff sounds like presets and melodies made by just drawing a random line in FL Studio, there's chopped up vocals and other elements seemingly just for the sake of it and i still don't get the point of these high pitched random synths placed around. It's not just generically bad like say Excision it's a different level of crap.

I can understand the popularity in some places though when it must seem so different and new to a lot of people. So to make a point of this, how long do people think the hype of this midrange stuff can last in the US considering it's not changing at all?

And to add something less lame um the Two Inch Punch EP on PMR Records is cheesy but kinda cool (boomkat says it's electro-step r&b apparently), and the Killawatt 12" on Black Box is great.. the b-side is very jungly and nice.

People think he's a good producer because all they ever hear is no-names on Soundcloud and Youtube. So in that context sure he's good. But that's like saying Brechin City are a football powerhouse because they regularly challenge for the title, but in reality it's actually the second division title and you're still in loving Brechin. Better than some sure, but certainly not top level, which is weird as you'd think being on one of the biggest Indie labels(and now on a major) and probably spending a decent amount of time in professional studios with real engineers before he decided to pick up an iMac would've taught him something. Honestly vocalists, totally useless. No wonder I used to play bass guitar.

It's also worth pointing out that America is also a bastion of Psychedelic Trance, a genre long since wiped out in the rest of the civilised world by the late 90s. Wiping out Smallpox was an easier task then putting that six feet under. But like I've said before you can't really blame it on America as your Flux Pavillion, Doctor P, Borgore, that whole Circus Records thing etc is from here in the UK so bad taste runs everywhere.

Speaking of less lame I broke down and had to spend some cash on that recent Drexciya reissue. Sometimes I don't mind constant re-packaging and re-issuing. Of course I just realised that is Volume 1 so dammit there goes another 15 quid on the next re-issue.

And I'm sad to say another good release is getting relegated to digital only, in this case an EP by Nightwave which is coming out on Fortified Digital. Formally known as 8Bitch this girl from Slovenia makes you rue the day you ever cursed those Eastern European immigrants. And apparently now based here in Glasgow, so no jokes about comparing the g-town to 30 years out of date former Eastern Bloc hellholes please. Hopefully this'll see the light of day on wax but I sadly doubt it. It's the real problem of digital, they just rarely seem to make the impact they should. Heard plenty of good stuff out on digi-only that I rarely if ever hear(and that includes some goon-made stuff!), all just totally fallen down the cracks, never to be picked out of that second hand value bin.

All I wanted for Christmas was for pressing plants to slash prices 50%. And a unicorn. And money. Lots of money. Ah well next year maybe.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Yeah a lot of bad UK artists to begin with doing it as well, but even with Circus record poo poo i feel like.. they have some idea what they are doing even if it's awful. It's all kinda strange, as if people took Andy C - Body Rock, made 1000 direct copies of it and had guys selling out arena's based on it; and people actually eating it up thinking it's incredible.

The Nightwave EP on unknown to the unknown is pretty good too. Good she wasn't held back by the sexist dance music scene. If you want some cheap records redeye has a shitload of 2011 stuff cut 50%.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity

Molotov Yogurt posted:

I'm not a grime dude, but the latest Mishka mix by Darq E Freaker is pretty bangin.

http://soundcloud.com/bloglin/keep-watch-vol-xxxi-darq-e

Anyone know what the track is with the Kill Bill sample over it? (Starts at about 24:00)

LOVIN this, thanks. I hope this instrumental grime thing butterz's spearheading lasts.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

Yeah a lot of bad UK artists to begin with doing it as well, but even with Circus record poo poo i feel like.. they have some idea what they are doing even if it's awful. It's all kinda strange, as if people took Andy C - Body Rock, made 1000 direct copies of it and had guys selling out arena's based on it; and people actually eating it up thinking it's incredible.

The Nightwave EP on unknown to the unknown is pretty good too. Good she wasn't held back by the sexist dance music scene. If you want some cheap records redeye has a shitload of 2011 stuff cut 50%.

I'm ashamed to admit I read that as "she wasn't held back by the sexiest dance music scene". I wonder would would be the sexiest dance music scene, hmm... If anyone knows some bizarre Swedish House music that is only listened to by gorgeous Swedish beach volleyball players and part-time models in a hot, steamy sauna, please let me know.

Skrillex and all that, well let's be honest do you really think he had heard much if any dance music before someone sent him that 16Bit or Cookie Monsta Youtube link and he picked up that iMac? I'd wager no. So the guy knows gently caress all, but luckily for Warners he was also head of a massive several hundred thousand unit selling band, with a fanbase of dyed hair too many tattooed girls and the guys who'll pay the tenner for the printed Gildan band t-shirt and follow said girls around. All ready to follow him into his new musical venture. Sadly they know gently caress all about dance music and probably were slagging it off 12 months ago (they don't even play their own instruments!). They don't know what seperates the good from the bad. Luckily for them the music shares more with Metalcore than anything else so they don't need to bother developing some taste.

So they approach it like they do their favourite band. Let's mosh about and be dickheads and think we know poo poo and download that cracked copy of Massive and look I'm a DJ! Honestly I'd never, ever bother with Skrillex at all if it wasn't for the legions of his fans who've downloaded that pirated copy of Fruity Loops and put their very first song they ever wrote up on some forum and proclaimed it a masterpiece and anyone who doesn't like it is a hater and where is your song if you're so good huh? At least he's doing it, man! Sadly producing needs some talent and skill which not everyone has but everyone is convinced they have. Unlike a band where chances are people like that would just pick up the bass or rhythm guitar and leave the actual songwriting to the one - maybe two if they're lucky - talented member of the band who can actually write a tune. Producing leaves it all up to you. At least Sid Vicious had a leather jacket and the decency to kill himself.

The thing about the old punk cliche that anyone can be in a band misses out on one thing. Generally people in the band had heard a lot of similar music that made them want to be in it, so they already had at least a small knowledge pool of the scene and the sounds in it(and probably even more in what came before, John Lydon's famous love of Jethro loving Tull). These folks in general just don't seem to care about the scene bar one or two particular acts (or even worse, they actually listen to random no-hope UKF Youtubers) and they don't seem to bothered to actually dig down and see what else there is. If it's not placed right in front of them they can't be bothered. They're quite happy eating the same couple of items off the McDonald's crap menu, but they act like they're the ones who give out the Michelin stars. And man is it heartbreaking at times. As far as I'm concerned digging deep and finding out as much as you can on your own is a sign of love. Realising what's good and what's not good, that's simply listening to enough stuff and figuring it out for yourself.

If he was anyone else he'd still be loving about trying to promote himself on the UKF forums and trying to sell copies via Beatport if he's lucky because no-one would buy a 12 inch of it, and he'd be too scared to spend a grand to print up the single anyway. Because like you said on a production level (and even a songwriting level) a lot of the Circus lot etc are far superior. And they sell a lot of records too, but not 170,000 with a major label pushing at their backs trying to get them in the door. Nero excluded. Is it any wonder Val Kilmer didn't put down vocals for him when he worked with The Doors. No wonder he's my favourite Door.

And hey at least Bodyrock was well produced and had a bit of attitude to it.

Volvagia posted:

LOVIN this, thanks. I hope this instrumental grime thing butterz's spearheading lasts.

Instrumental grime has always been about. Actually I think in the past it was much better than what Butterz pushes, which isn't half bad itself. I'll take my Dump Valve records to my grave.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
There are two more volumes of the drexciya retrospective ^_^

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

mr box posted:

There are two more volumes of the drexciya retrospective ^_^

Two more? Sigh that's all I need. There goes another £30. Come on new job applications, you had better be successful, papa needs some brand new records.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

I mentioned the drum'n'bass mix was coming over in the dnb thread, but here's the dubstep mix. A group of my friends run a weekly webcast / podcast series called Expansion Broadcast, which features drum'n'bass, dubstep and what has been labeled on our blog (and in DC in general) "future bass", which is what the U.K. just calls bass music. The past few years we've done an end of year series with top fives from all of our resident DJs and hosts, and a few of our good friends, but this year the boss wanted to just do a showcase for each segment of our music programming. The usuals sent their top fives, and then a DJ was tasked with compiling those in to a quick mix.

So here is the EXBC 2011 dubstep favorites, compiled from myself, Refugee, Whizeguy, Hootie B and IllEffect, and then mixed by me.

EXBC Podcast 386: Best Dubstep Tunes of 2011
link: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/386/

Jay 5ive & Kromestar – "Hands In The Air"
Johnny Osbourne – "Fally Ranking (V.I.V.E.K. Remix)"
Akkachar – "Around Driouch"
Icicle – "Redemption (ft Robert Owens)"
Pinch & Roska – "Paranormal Activity"
Teeth – "CNT"
King Midas Sound – "Tears (Kiki Hitomi Revoice)"
Girl Unit – "Wut"
Distal & Mayhem – "Frozen Barnacles"
Ruckspin – "Shikra"
Objekt – "Tinderbox"
Tunnidge – "Ghost Dance"
Seven & Elvee – "Crime Doesn’t Pay"
D1 – "Bleeps to Broadway"
Pampidoo – "Synthesizer Voice (Goth-Trad Remix)"
Goth-Trad – "Sublimation"

-----
And here's the future bass / UK bass mix, compiled from myself, IllEffect, Refugee and Hyun, and mixed by Refugee:

EXBC Podcast 385: Best Future Bass Tunes of 2011
link: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/385/

EVM 128 - "Groove Content"
Echo Park - "Fiber Optic (Jon Convex’s Love Transmission Remix)"
Martyn - "Masks"
Harddrive - "Deep Inside (Pearson Sound Remix)"
Julio Bashmore - "Battle For Middle You"
Blawan - "Getting Me Down"
Girl Unit - "Wut (Claude Von Stroke’s Undressed Remix)"
George Fitzgerald - "Reset"
Sepalcure - "Me"
Mosca - "Bax"
LV feat. Joshua Idehen - "Primary Colours (Extended Remix)"
Unknown - "Sicko Cell"
Instra:Mental - "When I Dip"
Ramadanman Vs. SX - "Woo Glut"
Addison Groove - "This Is It"
Breton - "RDI (Girl Unit Remix)"
Teeth - "Shawty"
Ratcliffe - "Mindset"
Machinedrum - "Fantastix"
Africa HiTech - "Out In The Streets"
Leviticus - "The Burial (Phillip D. Kick Footwork Re-Edit)"

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

All I wanted for Christmas was for pressing plants to slash prices 50%. And a unicorn. And money. Lots of money. Ah well next year maybe.

Well, in Frankfurt, the local record store was having a 50% off everything sale today. It was wonderful.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

a milk crime posted:

Well, in Frankfurt, the local record store was having a 50% off everything sale today. It was wonderful.

Related: http://lockerz.com/s/163035237

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
28gbb it seemed like in the past you were always ready to chalk up skrillex & co to the other side of the coin no need for slagging it off as long as we stay focused on what's good, they do just as much as us by bringing people in to the scene as others do in keeping it moving forward. Then I read your very impassioned post about militancy in the scene and bringing them down forcefully by championing real contributors, and now here you go and completely tear in to them, has this been a change of heart over it or what?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JimmyJazz posted:

28gbb it seemed like in the past you were always ready to chalk up skrillex & co to the other side of the coin no need for slagging it off as long as we stay focused on what's good, they do just as much as us by bringing people in to the scene as others do in keeping it moving forward. Then I read your very impassioned post about militancy in the scene and bringing them down forcefully by championing real contributors, and now here you go and completely tear in to them, has this been a change of heart over it or what?

Probably spending too much time reading the House forum.

No really, it's just the same as it's ever been really. More or less. I've always been willing to put up with the producers (even if I don't like what they're doing) and admit that of course they are part of the scene, which they are, there's no real point saying they do 'Brostep' and we do Dubstep or whatever(though that's more to do with my feeble attempts at stopping things dividing up, sub-genre-ing up, the death knell of any scene). They do their thing, it's part of this whole thing and that's cool. Of course I've also long since made my dislike of them known as well. I like a few, I can put up with some of them and really can't stand others. And I've also long since made it known my distaste at people who I don't think have really contributed their fare share to the scene getting as much success as they get, but hey it's not like there's some worthiness meter.

And that percentage of fans they bring in though, well I've always tore into them. I don't like them (as a collective not on an individual scale), I don't think they bring anything positive to the table and I think it's generally bad vibes all round. To me it's like, why would you want them around? Pure Sunday drivers. Yes, yes cries of elitism etc boo hoo mea culpa, but I'm getting too old to put up with bullshit like I used to. Some look up and explore sure, but as time goes on it seems the general fans just seem locked in that same groove without moving on.

I made a comment on the House board recently about adding that whole #t=55s to Youtube videos to hit the drop, the fact it works for 95% of all songs on say UKF is a very sad state of affairs. The fact so many people go so wild over something so safe and production lined is just depressing. Still, I've tore into goths since I was a wee dick anyway so there is no change there. I've always been a a grumpy, complaining oval office in general so also again no change there.

But what I do draw the line at calling something quality when it's really not. And I don't mean some ephemeral songwriting ability, but the actual down to earth technical side. It's not particulary well made music. Some of it's not bad sure, some of it's even good but a lot of it is far from the heights of production like some keep coming out with. Now badly produced music isn't a crime, it happens (plenty of my favourite songs sound like they've been recorded onto a dodgy 4 track Tascam cassette recorder with the faders just zeroed out) but don't for one second believe it's quality. But in general the good learn, progress and become better. But I'm just not hearing much of that progression in a lot of the more jump-up based artists, like infinity2005 said what's out now doesn't sound much better or even different than what came out 3 years ago. A lot of it still sounds like it was banged out five minutes before the start of class and called finished.

The problem is if you call something quality enough times people start to believe it. It's Ikea furniture, sure it may do the job and it may have the weird foreign name but in reality it's badly made tat with no long lasting strength and in comparison to a proper piece of furniture not as cheap as you think. But it stops the real good stuff from taking centre stage. So sometimes you need to just go,"Oi! Hang on a minute lads! There's something not quite right here!". Again if people took the time to actually listen rather than just hearing they could figure it out for themselves, but few are doing it.

The whole they'll come over to our side eventually thing that people talked about a year or two ago is just not happening. And with the release of this Korn album, Nero getting a number 1 album etc and the fever pitch surrounding the whole thing recently it's starting to get a bit unbearable. And of course I also can't stand the fact with each passing month the music I loved and championed when everyone else wrote it off becomes more and more of a joke to people. Even to myself!

And so as it always was, they do their thing so we do our thing over here. And our thing has been really loving good the past year or so. From old heads and new heads alike. I just think it's about time people really start aggressively showing off where the quality is really at. Be proud at what we've done and made. I wouldn't say forcibly bring them down, but start going, "look we're part of this thing as well, but that's nothing compared to what we have, check this". Promote and push what we've made and achieved more than we have done. Eclipse them and reach higher than they can because we've got the skill and the talent to, not because we're the flavour of the week for some 16 year old girl.

I want the people making the good music to be the ones in the positions of power, to be working with the best, pushing the best and helping bring up the rest (and leaving the nest if and when they're spent as a musical force). If you're going to have tastemakers at least make it someone with some great loving taste.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It does seem mostly true people introduced by this sound are not actually moving on at all.. you have people who say they've been listening to dubstep for x amount of years commenting on how much they like this new release. In my experience it's hard to even make an influence by putting it right in front of them with a lot of these people, they just want midrange in this exact formula for some reason. They complain about variation between tracks on the EP itself let alone listen to something wildly different.

While it is funny, it probably doesn't help you have people going around constantly telling everyone to listen to DMZ/Mala (as if that will be appealing or a good suggestion to begin with), and that being the only real dubstep and making everyone super defensive. It's basically a worthless term now which everyone is trying to avoid here anyway, let's all just say UK bass or something and pretend there never was a connection.

And yeah i like Body Rock, it's just definitely not something you want too much of. Also yeah i think the last year has been really great, tons of variety and top quality releases through the whole year.. so it's annoying that it might be getting overlooked by people who would enjoy it too. Even though the scene seems very healthy can't help feeling it could be much bigger with the exposure thats being directed to complete shite instead. Some of my favourite poo poo this year i just bought on a whim when vinyl appeared for sale, like the Julio Bashmore EP; so i dunno how other people would ever come across it.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 27, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

While it is funny, it probably doesn't help you have people going around constantly telling everyone to listen to DMZ/Mala (as if that will be appealing or a good suggestion to begin with), and that being the only real dubstep and making everyone super defensive. It's basically a worthless term now which everyone is trying to avoid here anyway, let's all just say UK bass or something and pretend there never was a connection.

Well I'll still disagree about the Dubstep thing. I think just giving up the name just because of the bad elements isn't the thing to do. And half the stuff in the bass music column I have no hesitation calling it Dubstep, because to me that's the thing that helped to try bring as much as possible under one roof. I think it's doing it a disservice to just jettison it.

I totally agree though how strange it is that it's so hard to influence people. I mean look at that mix Subfries just put up. That's a great mix full of incredible tunes. It boggles the mind that people can't listen to it - even just the once - and go, "wow that is loving great. That's got something about it, I'll have some more of that thank you. This other stuff I was listening to before just hasn't got a thing on this."

I mean I heard I Luv U and went, wow loving hell. I heard Red and went, wow loving hell. I heard My History and went, wow loving hell. I heard Midnite Request Line and went, wow loving hell. I heard Emotions and went, wow loving hell. It's not so much that I'm easily influenced. But I hear some quality, or just some small spark of quality and I'm like, I want in on that, that sounds great it should be in my life. It should be in everyone's life. Why waste your time listening to shite, having shite poured on you from people not half as talented as they think they are when you can be pushing back and showing people something great.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Skrillex and all that, well let's be honest do you really think he had heard much if any dance music before someone sent him that 16Bit or Cookie Monsta Youtube link and he picked up that iMac? I'd wager no.
I'm sure you'll be thrilled to learn that in interviews he's specifically talked up a love for the 90's Warp roster. Which makes sense - outside of Big Beat stuff, the rockist mainstream press in the US from the 90's on up through the nascent bloghaus era only really covered IDM when it came to electronic music, largely because it was a curiosity and because of Chris Cunningham's eye-catching music videos. It's certainly how I got into electronic music despite being from the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Musically I think it makes sense too, since Skrillex is more or less what you get when you mix Come to Daddy EP (which is probably RDJ's weakest work, all told) with a bit of Bassnectar and maybe the odd Rusko track. It's funny to me, since I've always thought of Come To Daddy as a typically ham-handed piss take on The Fat of the Land-era Prodigy, and Skrillex seems like the type not to catch the joke. The music sounds like TFotL's bad qualities amplified. The digital scuzz, the monotone colors, and most of all, the inescapable 'tude of it all.

Really there's no end to the comparisons you can make to describe how unpleasant Skrillex's music is.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 27, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

thepopstalinist posted:

I'm sure you'll be thrilled to learn that in interviews he's specifically talked up a love for the 90's Warp roster. Which makes sense - outside of Big Beat stuff, the rockist mainstream press in the US from the 90's on up through the nascent bloghaus era only really covered IDM when it came to electronicm usic, largely because it was a curiosity and because of Chris Cunningham's eye-catching music videos. It's certainly how I got into electronic music despite being from the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Musically I think it makes sense too, since Skrillex is more or less what you get when you mix Come to Daddy EP (which is probably RDJ's weakest work, all told) with a bit of Bassnectar and maybe the odd Rusko track. It's funny to me, since I've always thought of Come To Daddy as a typically ham-handed piss take on The Fat of the Land-era Prodigy, and Skrillex seems like the type not to catch the joke. The music sounds like TFotL's bad qualities amplified. The digital scuzz, the monotone colors, and most of all, the inescapable 'tude of it all.

Really there's no end to the comparisons you can make to describe how unpleasant Skrillex's music is.

So in other words nothing bar Aphex and Squarepusher then. Well in that case I'll still contend he hasn't heard any dance music before he picked up an iMac :iceburn:

This all would never have happened if he'd picked up a copy of Carboot Soul instead of Come To Daddy. A bit like if Charles Manson had found a scratchy old copy of A Hard Day's Night instead of the White album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

thepopstalinist posted:

I'm sure you'll be thrilled to learn that in interviews he's specifically talked up a love for the 90's Warp roster. Which makes sense - outside of Big Beat stuff, the rockist mainstream press in the US from the 90's on up through the nascent bloghaus era only really covered IDM when it came to electronic music, largely because it was a curiosity and because of Chris Cunningham's eye-catching music videos. It's certainly how I got into electronic music despite being from the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

And yet...loving SKRILLEX is the one with FIVE Grammy nominations. Heaven forbid what'll happen to the genre in the states if he WINS any of 'em.

• Locked thread