Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Hobnob posted:

Get out of here, Nebulon-B! No one likes your style.

For the person who wanted the Toy Story Green Army Men set: If you're in the US, check Target for their current Christmas polybag sets. Mine has a bunch of $4 ones that are just the jeep and one minifigure, which may be an acceptable substitute.

Thanks for the tip, I had to search forever, but finally found one. They had at least 300 of the starwars bags, and a couple dozen of random other ones, I found it hidden on the very back of a peg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

The_Doctor posted:

EDIT: In other news:

I picked up 2 bags at random and got the exact same 2 as you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just picked up another 5 bags at random and got:

2 x Minotaurs
1 x lady astronaut
1 x The Shadow
1 x leprachaun

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

beato posted:

I picked up 2 bags at random and got the exact same 2 as you.

Lucky, I picked up one and got the greasy mechanic :(

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The_Doctor posted:

2 x Minotaurs
1 x lady astronaut
1 x The Shadow
1 x leprachaun

Goddamn I can't wait for Lego Minotaurs. I wish we were getting a Greek Hero based theme. Between the minotaur, Spartan, and gladiator figures, and the cool Greek architecture in the Atlantis lines, they're basically halfway there!

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

My brother and I had an impressive collection of Lego that was eventually gifted to a younger friend when I was about 13, since I felt I was too old for them and hadn't touched them for over a year. However, now we've got to amass a new collection for my nephew.

We used to have these four street plates that we used for our creations - do they still have something like that? I remember I always wanted some kind of work-table when I was younger, and I've seen the tiny things they have for kids today, but I imagining something grander.

I remember my dad used to have a height and angle adjustable drafting table, which meant it could also flip, and all I can picture is a height adjustable (for as he grows up) 60 inch flippable workspace. Maybe covered in street plates, or perhaps customizable so you can remove the street plates and replace it with green "grass" plates or something else appropriate for the stage. I never had sea/pirate sets, so I don't know how a kid would want to play with these. I imagine one wouldn't want to stick a boat to the table, but prefer it to float in the "water" so it can be pushed around. I don't remember Lego floating very well, so maybe having a concealable basin for water isn't a good idea.

I think you get the idea. Does something similar to this already exist? If not, no big deal, I have plenty of time to design this thing, since he won't be playing with them for a while. Whats the earliest age a child should transition to the smaller pieces? I'll have a few years at least to start buying sets. I can't believe some of these things still cost $100-$200.

Drighton fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 23, 2011

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

The_Doctor posted:

2 x Minotaurs
1 x lady astronaut
1 x The Shadow
1 x leprachaun

Where are you guys getting the Series 6 minifigs?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

illcendiary posted:

Where are you guys getting the Series 6 minifigs?

The UK, specifically WHSmiths shops.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

The_Doctor posted:

The UK, specifically WHSmiths shops.

We had an excellent touch-up of a floor-stack in Tescos yesterday - got 13 differnet ones then got annoyed with Xmas shoppers.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Fooley posted:

This makes me think of something. What's the oldest set anyone has they never took apart? And I mean built once and left. I've had one of those Technic Pit Droids on my shelf for the longest time. Probably because the rubber bands broke, and I don't have much Technic besides it to use for MOCs.

I have pretty much the entire first-gen and some of the Chamber of Secrets Harry Potter collections set up in my closet at my parents' house to make a badass Hogwarts. Since first assembling all of that, I've graduated high school, gone to and graduated from college in a different city, and entirely moved out on my own in a different state, but I am keeping my LEGOs at my parents' place for storage. When I was moving everything out after staying for the summer earlier this year my mom specifically asked if I was going to keep Hogwarts together :3:

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Drighton posted:

My brother and I had an impressive collection of Lego that was eventually gifted to a younger friend when I was about 13, since I felt I was too old for them and hadn't touched them for over a year. However, now we've got to amass a new collection for my nephew.

We used to have these four street plates that we used for our creations - do they still have something like that? I remember I always wanted some kind of work-table when I was younger, and I've seen the tiny things they have for kids today, but I imagining something grander.

I remember my dad used to have a height and angle adjustable drafting table, which meant it could also flip, and all I can picture is a height adjustable (for as he grows up) 60 inch flippable workspace. Maybe covered in street plates, or perhaps customizable so you can remove the street plates and replace it with green "grass" plates or something else appropriate for the stage. I never had sea/pirate sets, so I don't know how a kid would want to play with these. I imagine one wouldn't want to stick a boat to the table, but prefer it to float in the "water" so it can be pushed around. I don't remember Lego floating very well, so maybe having a concealable basin for water isn't a good idea.

I think you get the idea. Does something similar to this already exist? If not, no big deal, I have plenty of time to design this thing, since he won't be playing with them for a while. Whats the earliest age a child should transition to the smaller pieces? I'll have a few years at least to start buying sets. I can't believe some of these things still cost $100-$200.

Base plates are insane now too. I remember my dad buying me a set of curved, straight, t-junction and crossstreet plates for like $20.

Still have em :smug:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah I wanted to get a blue baseplate. $33 for a single one at my local BigW. I'm pretty sure it was a mis-price or something because the green ones were around $15 (which is still outrageous)

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Drighton posted:

My Lego store sells road plates. We have two different types, one straight plate and one curved plate, and the other is a straight plate and an intersection plate.

I'm on my phone and don't know how to quote two different people, but to the guy above me, Lego stores sell blue and green baseplates for 4.99, bigger grey ones for 14.99, and the road packs for 14.99 as well.

And at least what I was told is that we sell sets at the Lego set prices, so the prices should be even across the board, give and take different countries and the exchange rate.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Fooley posted:

This makes me think of something. What's the oldest set anyone has they never took apart? And I mean built once and left. I've had one of those Technic Pit Droids on my shelf for the longest time. Probably because the rubber bands broke, and I don't have much Technic besides it to use for MOCs.

I got this Darth Maul Infiltrator when Star Wars: A Phantom Menace came out my sophmore year of highschool. I was talking to my mother about the stuff I still have at their house after I moved out 3 years ago and she said she never wanted me to take it apart because it reminded her of my childhood. Thanks mom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Awww, that's sweet. But you're stuck with a model from a terrible movie! What a dilemma!

Doguts
Jan 13, 2005

Makes my shadow grow.
I've been kind of lacking the imagination/inspiration to build anything of my own. But I was wondering if there are any websites where people have put up instructions to build cool things they have built out of specific sets?
Like something built out of the Star Wars ARC-170 Starfighter pieces for example?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'm a bit stumped. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to construct my mom a life-sized roller skate (with a Chuck Taylor boot). It turns out these wheel hubs are the perfect size to be the shoelace grommets.

However, I can't think of a good way to get them to attach. I want to actually be able to pass a shoelace through them and I want them flush (well, roughly) with the red tiles that'll be covering the shoe. They're not sized to trap between spaced-out plates. They fit quite tightly with studs, and 1x1 bricks with hollow studs on the sides would allow a pass-through, but it cuts the usable diameter in half. Same goes for technic pins. It has to be a pretty narrow solution, since there are only about 3 studs of space between the centers of the grommets.

Any ideas?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Could you maybe take some pictures of what you've got so far? It's a little hard to imagine.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Could you maybe take some pictures of what you've got so far? It's a little hard to imagine.

Well, I don't have anything of the lacing area because I was about to get started on that when I ran into this glitch. All I have of the shoe right now is the sole and the back part right up to where the laces would start.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just built the Dino chopper vs t-rex set. The bird is really well built, and I've always liked the Sikorsky Skycrane look. The T-rex has studs on the top which opens up a ton of possibilities for howdah's and dino-riders-esque things. I also just put together the forest police chooper (the Chinook), and it's really neat too. Again, pretty solidly put together, and I'm really glad I got two choppers that aren't single rotor/standard design as they're apt to produce.

I want to pick up the fire plane with the pontoons, and I would also probably stab someone for a UCS Little Bird model.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Another 5 S6 minifigs, and somehow I got another 2 minotaurs. Are these guys high quantity per box? Also got a genie, a doctor and a spanish lady.. dancer thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The_Doctor posted:

Another 5 S6 minifigs, and somehow I got another 2 minotaurs. Are these guys high quantity per box? Also got a genie, a doctor and a spanish lady.. dancer thing.

I hope so because I literally want a hundred minotaurs

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Here is my tiny Christmas tree.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My mom just gave me 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack for Christmas :3:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Round at my folks now to pick up my old Lego (and also Christmas). Here's my haul - and I'm fairly sure there's another crate somewhere since I'm missing a few base plates and other bits and pieces:

1 crate and 1 massive carrier bag FULL of Lego.

A LOT of rail track. There's even more mixed in with the the rest of the lego.

Airport Shuttle monorail track...

I want to put together and sell high value sets like the monorail, and then sell the remaining lego in bulk. What's the consensus on sorting out a massive collection like this? Just go through splitting the bricks into various piles?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Pretty much, I wish I could find stuff like that at my parents house. We only had a white tub filled with 600 or so bricks until I was an adult and in canada that I could afford sets.

Some older sets while you think they might have a high value actually don't even when complete :( newer sets like UCS/old batman/Modular housing are worth more than anything else

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
i want the Super Star Destroyer. so so so bad

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

i want the Super Star Destroyer. so so so bad

This is at the top of my splurge list as soon as my student loan is paid off late January.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
My mom got me the Lego Idea book and the lego ambulance for Christmas. :3:

The Lego Idea book is actually a really interesting read; I'd recommend it for everyone. It's a good starters guide to think outside the box.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Daedleh posted:

I want to put together and sell high value sets like the monorail, and then sell the remaining lego in bulk. What's the consensus on sorting out a massive collection like this? Just go through splitting the bricks into various piles?

If it's all in lose bricks, you my friend are hosed. I've been trying to sort out a collection around the same size as yours for the last 3 years on and off, and have hardly made a dent.
The $$$ per hour sorting that you will make if you're planning on doing it only to sell them off will not be worth it at all.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Jut posted:

If it's all in lose bricks, you my friend are hosed.

It took me a hour and a half to sort 1400 technic pieces. Thats about one big set. It was a half full shoebox. God forbid if I had a box and 3 bags. Still jealous of having that many bricks :(

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Got my two sons lego dino sets for christmas... I know my back is going to be sore from building lego all day... I hope I get a massage chair!

They are super excited about them, my oldest spends a lot of time looking through the lego catalog, where he declares he wants everything except the new police station. He really wants ninjago and the dinos, hopefully he won't be disappointed not to get ninjago.

He liked Ninjago before he saw the cartoon, now that he has seen it, they run around the house practicing ninjago and constantly want me to tell him that garmadon is about to attack

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Merchant of Death posted:

Pretty much, I wish I could find stuff like that at my parents house. We only had a white tub filled with 600 or so bricks until I was an adult and in canada that I could afford sets.

Surprisingly my legos were the one things to survive mostly intact. I had a lot of classic space, blacktron 2, space police, M-tron, and a few technics (including the technic control center). Some parts are missing but the only notable ones are a single monorail track one of the ramps unfortunately (#6690), some of the mtron magnets, and gears. Sorting is completely out of the question. 4 year olds are tornados waiting to explode on any order you try to impose on them.

My other toys didn't fare so well. After requesting the legos for my son she took the opportunity to ship all my other old toys. I received a box full of random GI.Joe legs, parts from vehicles, etc. Seriously who saves a single GI Joe Leg?!. It was like someone literally tortured my childhood.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
All we had was the bucket of lego, and 3 my little pony toys. I still have minty and bluebelle. I can't remember what happened to cotton candy :( I think she was lost when I moved to canada.

I know there is a fire brigade for me under the tree, only 12 more hours or so then its mine!

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME:

Shoutout to my mom aka world's coolest mom.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Woot! I got the millennium falcon set tonight! The thing looks like it's going to be a beast.

Unfortunately the sticker sheet is all wrinkled and smashed, and the stickers might be ruined. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Frozen-Solid posted:

Woot! I got the millennium falcon set tonight! The thing looks like it's going to be a beast.

Unfortunately the sticker sheet is all wrinkled and smashed, and the stickers might be ruined. :(

It's a sign from God.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Merchant of Death posted:

All we had was the bucket of lego, and 3 my little pony toys. I still have minty and bluebelle. I can't remember what happened to cotton candy :( I think she was lost when I moved to canada.

I know there is a fire brigade for me under the tree, only 12 more hours or so then its mine!

Best part about being in SE Asia for Xmas. we're 12 hours ahead of EST. The rest of my family was just cracking the first bottle of tequila and we're already up eating breakfast.

With the exception of a few pieces (that gave me trouble too) my 4 year old son got the Space Center #3368 built all by himself. so proud.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I got the Lego idea book for Christmas as well. It does have some pretty good building techniques, and there are about 10 AFOL 'profiles' with some pretty good pics. Lots of details of SNOT building as well which surprised me. I still had the feeling that it wasn't quite 'official' but I guess it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
Welp, got my first set in 20 years thanks to this thread bringing back memories. Thanks to Santa for my Creator Lighthouse! Looks awesome.