Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone having problems with mpd pads and keyboards (plugged in at the same time)? Sometimes one or both stop functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Is there a way to set different midi ranges to different channels? For example, if I play a low note on my midi controller it might be panned left, but a high note it's panned right?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 8, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does anyone have any experience making psytrance with Live? If so would you be open for a bit of talking on AIM/PMs?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Here's a .adg file for fast NY Compression. Fiddle with it!

http://mdubbs.com/misc/poor%20ny%20excuse.adg

When I use NI Razor in live, if it's playing and I hit space to pause Live, sometime Razor keeps on making noise... has anyone witnessed this before? It's frustrating the hell outta me.

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2011

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone using the novation sl mkii keys with ableton? thinking about getting the 49 key one, and am hesitant because reviews on different sites say vastly different things about the adequateness of the automap thing.

my last keyboard had no automap and basically was next to impossible to map sliders to anything easily. I want everything to just work - like I want to load up ableton, click a knob, twiddle the knob I want to correspond to it, and it's done.

preferably everything on the keyboard would also default to something too, so I don't have to start from scratch. Is a MPK just gonna be inherently better at this?

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Would anybody be interested in my Ableton Live 7 Suite Download license? I'd be willing to let it go for $275.

Looking at my user account, it would be $149 to upgrade to Live 8 Suite download. This would make the total $424 for the Live 8 Suite compared to $524 from ableton.com with the current holiday special.

It should also come with "Drum Machines" samples for the Drum Rack.

Edit: SOLD

crimedog fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 28, 2011

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

mindphlux posted:

anyone using the novation sl mkii keys with ableton? thinking about getting the 49 key one, and am hesitant because reviews on different sites say vastly different things about the adequateness of the automap thing.

Latest version of Automap 4.1 works like a charm for me (Win 7 64bit), comes with sensible pre-made mappings for Live devices (and for a ton of VSTs and other apps).

So long as you have a relatively competent PC and have the latest versions of everything, you should be fine.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Goose Halo posted:

Would anybody be interested in my Ableton Live 7 Suite Download license? I'd be willing to let it go for $275.

Looking at my user account, it would be $149 to upgrade to Live 8 Suite download. This would make the total $424 for the Live 8 Suite compared to $524 from ableton.com with the current holiday special.

It should also come with "Drum Machines" samples for the Drum Rack.

Email: goose.halo at gmail

Just better hope that live 8 suite upgrade includes a free upgrade to 9 when they show it next month.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
For those of you with Kontakt do you know how to configure a parameter from the script editor? I.e. I want to make an automation with portamento using a Kontakt instrument but portamento is only found as a script for that instrument (not completely sure how this all works, still fairly new to Komplete). I can configure parameters from the script editor but apparently only from the instrument window - not one of the factory presets.

Any ideas?

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
e: never mind. Problem solved.

workinonit fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 15, 2011

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

mindphlux posted:

my last keyboard had no automap and basically was next to impossible to map sliders to anything easily. I want everything to just work - like I want to load up ableton, click a knob, twiddle the knob I want to correspond to it, and it's done.

preferably everything on the keyboard would also default to something too, so I don't have to start from scratch. Is a MPK just gonna be inherently better at this?

For the most part Automap is fine - quite powerful, doesn't get in the way. My anecdotal experience is that it does not play well with others; we've had a hell of a time using an APC40 alongside it(frequent lockups/crashes). Also it kept losing the mappings file I saved for my partner's configuration, so I'd have to remap on occasion. These are all recent developments, and our setup is kind of weird, so YMMV.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
My automap user presets vanished completely on my performance PC two weeks ago. I can't install new ones, or open the ones I have (I don't even get a file dialog box when I click 'open').

I uninstalled and installed a half-dozen versions. They're all busted. It is so frustrating.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

RivensBitch posted:

Just better hope that live 8 suite upgrade includes a free upgrade to 9 when they show it next month.

Sure, but there's always that worry every time ableton has a holiday deal.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Goose Halo posted:

Sure, but there's always that worry every time ableton has a holiday deal.

Its been 2 years since 8 came out, max 6 is out, and NAMM is next month. I'd be REALLY surprised if 9 isn't announced.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Yeah, it was a shame I was a few months out of a free upgrade to 8, but I had no complaints just using 7. Anyway, it's not too important.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Twiin posted:

My automap user presets vanished completely on my performance PC two weeks ago. I can't install new ones, or open the ones I have (I don't even get a file dialog box when I click 'open').

I uninstalled and installed a half-dozen versions. They're all busted. It is so frustrating.

hmm, this sort of thing makes me hesitant to go with a SL MKii over a mpk49.

with the mpk49, the 'mapping' functionality is built into the keyboard / ableton, right? no having to run an external automap application?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
This is sort of tangential to the current automapping discussion, but I've been using a really lovely old MIDI keyboard for way too long now. I pretty much just want something basic, with a minimum of 49 keys, although more octaves certainly wouldn't hurt. It would be great if I could easily use it to control vsts running in Ableton, and I'd like to have the option to use a sustain pedal. What's the least money I can get away with spending on this, and what should I be looking at?

Alternately, convince me I should be spending more and getting something nicer. I have a NI Maschine controller that I use extensively, but that's my only other piece of MIDI gear.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

mindphlux posted:

with the mpk49, the 'mapping' functionality is built into the keyboard / ableton, right? no having to run an external automap application?

From my experience with the MPK49 and Ableton, yes. The last plugin/instrument you select with the mouse will have a blue hand icon over it and the rotary knobs will be automatically mapped. The faders are automapped to the mixing faders.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

mindphlux posted:

hmm, this sort of thing makes me hesitant to go with a SL MKii over a mpk49.

Without Automap, the SL MKII mapping is the same as any other midi controller.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I've not been able to get Camel Crusher to show up in Live, reinstalled several times and rescanned about a million times to no avail! Google reveals nothing but someone who got it to work by scanning their whole HD - anything else I could try?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Twiin posted:

Without Automap, the SL MKII mapping is the same as any other midi controller.

just out of technical curiosity, how does akai stuff bypass an 'external software' requirement? I've been trying to figure that out from a midi/programming/etc perspective, and haven't come up with anything...

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I've not been able to get Camel Crusher to show up in Live, reinstalled several times and rescanned about a million times to no avail! Google reveals nothing but someone who got it to work by scanning their whole HD - anything else I could try?

No clue, but you might want to ask on the Camel support forum on KVR. Also be sure to mention what OS you're running, which version of the plugin you're trying to install, etc.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Do you mean show up as it doesn't show up in your plugins or you click on it and the GUI won't open?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

mindphlux posted:

just out of technical curiosity, how does akai stuff bypass an 'external software' requirement? I've been trying to figure that out from a midi/programming/etc perspective, and haven't come up with anything...

I'm pretty sure they just include an .ini file with Ableton.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

h_double posted:

No clue, but you might want to ask on the Camel support forum on KVR. Also be sure to mention what OS you're running, which version of the plugin you're trying to install, etc.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Thoogsby posted:

Do you mean show up as it doesn't show up in your plugins or you click on it and the GUI won't open?

It doesn't show up when I scan for plugins. I've tried installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

edit: after months it worked after an another install attempt?! :psyduck:

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 19, 2011

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Twiin posted:

I'm pretty sure they just include an .ini file with Ableton.

Basically. There are Python scripts called MIDI Remote Scripts that describe how the controllers work. They are bundled with Live, and they are what populates the controller preferences dropdown menu.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If I've been working up a bunch of parts and clips in session view, is there an easy way just to drag whole scenes over into arrangement view for production purposes?

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

If I've been working up a bunch of parts and clips in session view, is there an easy way just to drag whole scenes over into arrangement view for production purposes?

Yep, pretty sure you can literally just drag the scene over. Grab the scene (under master or you can select the whole thing or bits you want), press tab and stick it in.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Somehow I was expecting something more complicated than that.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Somehow I was expecting something more complicated than that.

Welcome to Ableton!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Do digital pianos like this one play nice with Ableton / work well for synths? I had been considering midi keyboard controllers like the Akai MPK49 or Maudio Keystation 61 but being able to play without a computer and having fully weighted keys seems like a big plus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-cdp-120-88-weighted-key-digital-piano

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Do digital pianos like this one play nice with Ableton / work well for synths? I had been considering midi keyboard controllers like the Akai MPK49 or Maudio Keystation 61 but being able to play without a computer and having fully weighted keys seems like a big plus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-cdp-120-88-weighted-key-digital-piano

Yes, it has USB MIDI and should work like any other MIDI controller as far as Live is concerned.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Decide whether or not you actually want weighted keys though. If you're trying to learn piano it's great to have but if you're just using it to play back synth sounds then it actually might not be what you're after. A lot of hardware synthesizers don't have weighted keys and sometimes they can be more difficult to program if you're not a piano player.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I've completely baffled myself here:

Compare the midi data in the top and the bottom. It's the same data, but the top window says it fills a whole bar, whereas the window below says it fills half a bar. :confused:

edit: oh I figured it out. The midi data's in 7/4 but the session is in 7/8. Doh!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just started using Serato's Itch, and I have to say that I love the beat grid. Ableton should add a 'tap to add warp marker while playing sample' feature. It'd make things so much easier.

Pale Sickly Trevor
Sep 28, 2001

I just started using Serato's Itch, and I have to say that I love the beat grid. Ableton should add a 'tap to add warp marker while playing sample' feature. It'd make things so much easier.

Can't you tap tempo while recording a sample in? Then it adds warp markers where you tap. Or does this work differently?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious, but how do I delete the waveform from a clip in Arrangement View while still retaining its effect automation?

I've got a vocal with a delay effect automatically applied on certain phrases at the end of each bar. I want to re-record the vocal, but the vocal isn't going to change in words/melody/time/tempo, and therefore my delay on/off automation shouldn't need to change. But whenever I try to delete just the audio though it also wipes out my automation.

I could always make a copy of the track then re-apply the automation but there has to be a more elegant way, right?

Also, he's been mentioned several times on these forums but Tom Cosm makes the best video tutorials for Ableton I've ever seen, and he just put another one up on his site (http://cosm.co.nz/) for those of you who are fans of the first series.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

FWIW I don't know anything about Serato, Itch, or if this is even relevant to your comment, but I just saw on Ableton's website that Itch support is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Mandals posted:

I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious, but how do I delete the waveform from a clip in Arrangement View while still retaining its effect automation?

I've got a vocal with a delay effect automatically applied on certain phrases at the end of each bar. I want to re-record the vocal, but the vocal isn't going to change in words/melody/time/tempo, and therefore my delay on/off automation shouldn't need to change. But whenever I try to delete just the audio though it also wipes out my automation.

I could always make a copy of the track then re-apply the automation but there has to be a more elegant way, right?

Use the lock envelopes button, it lets you move or delete the clips without affecting the automations. It's a small rectangular button with a lock icon on it and you can find it in top right hand corner of the arrangement view, next to the beat time ruler and scrub area.