Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

axleblaze posted:

Next Food Network Star predates Top Chef. Also Iron Chef is one of their more popular shows, not to mention being on it makes you synonymous with being on e of the best chefs in the country, so getting on that is not really the same as being handed some random 10am cooking show.

For the original Iron Chef maybe, being on Iron Chef America makes you more synonymous to being one of the overexposed faces on the Food Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I think Melissa D'Arabian still has a show, she won a couple of seasons ago. I see Aarti in some promo every once and awhile. And the sandwich king - I think he went to sandwich heaven. I don't even remember his show playing (although he was pretty likeable, I just am not a fan of sandwiches).

I like that sandwich guy. I think we will see him in something else, probably another travelogue show because he has a very likeable personality. I also like Aarti. I think she could sustain a show if it wasn't airing at the crack of dawn on Saturday/Sunday. It doesn't make sense to me because they repeat the same shows all drat day over and over yet bury the winners of the contest to one lovely airtime. Couple of the other non-winning contestants have popped up on the cooking channel, like Kelsey and some other dude I can't name with United Tastes of American.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

raditts posted:

For the original Iron Chef maybe, being on Iron Chef America makes you more synonymous to being one of the overexposed faces on the Food Network.

I find it interesting that Alton feels that the winners of Next Iron Chef should have to requalify every year. Judging by his tweets this year, it seems that his preferred choice for winner never seems to get picked.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Winning Next Iron Chef just means you get to watch as challengers pick Bobby Flay or Cat Cora and not you.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Why not just have Symon, Garcia, Forgione and Zakarian out there as your only choices and say that the others were busy with other things.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

Why not just have Symon, Garcia, Forgione and Zakarian out there as your only choices and say that the others were busy with other things.

Because then you're removing Morimoto, and he's the only real Iron Chef they have. :mad:

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Please tell me you made this up. You made this up.

Nope. It was like a really lovely version of Rescue 911 (remember this show?), but instead of William Shatner doing narration, it was each person telling their own story.

First one was about a woman who overdosed on "horshradish" (she was incapable of saying it correctly). Second story was about a guy who ate peanut butter tainted with salmonella. Last story was about a guy who swallowed a bee and was allergic to bees.

Now you might be thinking, "What does that last one have to do with food?" Well, the bee went down the straw of his soda. So... FOOD ATTACKS!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Symon already gets picked alot. It's less than Flay (who by far gets picked the most) but right now he's a strong second. I can't complain about this though because Symon is my favorite of the bunch and pretty much the most fun to watch.

I don't care if the other two ever get picked again though. Garces is less creative than Flay and he seems like he trying to fulfill the role of Iron Chef rather than actually being one, while Forgione just isn't that fun to watch. I will easily take Forgione over Garces though. The Garces truffle battle might have been the worst episode that ICA has ever had.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

axleblaze posted:

Next Food Network Star predates Top Chef. Also Iron Chef is one of their more popular shows, not to mention being on it makes you synonymous with being on e of the best chefs in the country, so getting on that is not really the same as being handed some random 10am cooking show.

Are you sure about that? I don't think so.

edit: I was wrong! First season of NFNS ran 2005, first Top Chef was 2006.
Now, of course, I remember reading an interview with someone like Alton Brown where he mentioned that and was a bit smug about it, too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jamesman posted:

Because then you're removing Morimoto, and he's the only real Iron Chef they have. :mad:

Nope. It was like a really lovely version of Rescue 911 (remember this show?), but instead of William Shatner doing narration, it was each person telling their own story.

First one was about a woman who overdosed on "horshradish" (she was incapable of saying it correctly). Second story was about a guy who ate peanut butter tainted with salmonella. Last story was about a guy who swallowed a bee and was allergic to bees.

Now you might be thinking, "What does that last one have to do with food?" Well, the bee went down the straw of his soda. So... FOOD ATTACKS!

I really want to watch this because it sounds so stupid.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Glitterbomber posted:

I really want to watch this because it sounds so stupid.

They're replaying it at 11:30 EST tonight.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

quote:

Bobby Flay :words:

I used to always think that he came off as kind of douchey in a good chunk of his early shows. I made the mistake of eating at his restaurant when I went to Vegas years back. I found his food to be generally bland, which surprised the poo poo out of me because he had a few good recipes back in the day. His show where he had other people on, can't remember the name of it for the life of me, was pretty good and seemed to show some personality in him but he seemed like a double dog douche in half of the throwdown episodes I watched.

I can't comprehend how or why he got all that play on Iron Chef America though. Was it the fact that he was on the original and people wanted to go against the weaker of the Iron Chef Japan tested competitors? Or did Food Network really just want to push his brand that badly?

It seems like Symon cooking and Alton Brown being :smugdog: is the only reason to watch Iron Chef anymore. I have hope for Zakarian, though, if only because of that Chopped Champions episode he was on where he ended up going head to head with Aaron Sanchez.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
poo poo, I had forgotten about Symon. I really like that dude. The rest of the Next Iron Chef winners seem to have gotten the shaft.

And Morimoto owns. The Ice Battle was the coolest loving thing. He made a smoker out of ICE.

Edit: Has Bobby Flay EVER one a Throwdown? He's such a cock in every episode and all :smug:I'll spice up their lovely recipe!:smug: and then loses everytime it seems. I watch that show just to watch the grin get wiped off his face by whatever awesome person he decided to spend 30 mins. making GBS threads on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Edit: Has Bobby Flay EVER one a Throwdown? He's such a cock in every episode and all :smug:I'll spice up their lovely recipe!:smug: and then loses everytime it seems. I watch that show just to watch the grin get wiped off his face by whatever awesome person he decided to spend 30 mins. making GBS threads on.

He wins quite a bit but it's almost always in places where even he feels he has no right to win (like he won the cheesecake battle).

I find it odd that your impression of Flay on that show is :smug: because he always seems to be trying his hardest to be humble on that show, constantly being self deprecating and constantly praising his opponent. He doesn't always try and spice it up either. I think early on he did that but he quickly realized it was making him lose so then he started going traditional, but when he did that the opponent would be someone who had spiced up an old classic and he would lose. Either way he would never be directly countering what their doing anyways because the whole concept included him usually having no idea exactly how his opponent approached their dish. Also being fair to him, most battles on that show are really close.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!
I always feel bad when he wins. Some old lady will come out and talk about how she's been cooking this dish all of her life. It's an old family recipe. She has literally done nothing her entire life except cook this food. Then Flay gets on, reads a recipe book to learn how to make it, makes it once with chiles, and wins.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Also, some of the throwdowns are odd. Like there was one where the food was "Brown bag apple pie," which only one person in the world was making. Unless this is a thing? I don't know.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

axleblaze posted:

He wins quite a bit but it's almost always in places where even he feels he has no right to win (like he won the cheesecake battle).

I find it odd that your impression of Flay on that show is :smug: because he always seems to be trying his hardest to be humble on that show, constantly being self deprecating and constantly praising his opponent. He doesn't always try and spice it up either.
Agreed - he's also constantly taking insults from his sister. He's decidedly un-douchy on the show.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I Ozma Myself posted:

Are you sure about that? I don't think so.

edit: I was wrong! First season of NFNS ran 2005, first Top Chef was 2006.
Now, of course, I remember reading an interview with someone like Alton Brown where he mentioned that and was a bit smug about it, too.
Yeah, I had to look that up too. I think it's that no one really watched the first season of NFNS and it was only 5 episodes and didn't have a memorable winner.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Agreed - he's also constantly taking insults from his sister. He's decidedly un-douchy on the show.

Who's his sister?

Regarding picking the IRon Chef to battle, do you guys really think they all wait backstage and the challenger actually picks one of them? I seriously doubt that. I think they are pre-selected based on who is available. That's why Flay is always chosen. Flay is local and apparently doesn't do anything for his restaurants so he has time for 50 different shows on the network.

I wish the show would go back to the original format of iron chefs with different cuisine specialties. Keep Morimoto, bring back Batali, get rid of the rest. Then find a french guy and maybe some different cuisine like African or middle eastern or even southern american.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I wish the show would go back to the original format of iron chefs with different cuisine specialties. Keep Morimoto, bring back Batali, get rid of the rest. Then find a french guy and maybe some different cuisine like African or middle eastern or even southern american.

Samuelsson?

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Keep Morimoto, bring back Batali, get rid of the rest. Then find a french guy and maybe some different cuisine like African or middle eastern or even southern american.

I'm definitely in favor of bringing in some different types of cuisines, but I would think doing a taped show five days a week would cut into Batali's time enough that he won't be able to do many ICA episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh, awesome! A Food Network thread! I always feel faintly embarrassed that I can sit and happily watch it for hours. I'll switch it up with some Travel channel for Bourdain, but yeah, if there's a Chopped marathon on, that remote control isn't being touched.

I really don't mind Diners, etc, because the food always looks so loving delicious. Some big-rear end sammich with meats and cheese and gravy, I'm sold.

I have a love/hate thing with Alex G. I hate that she seems needlessly picky about things a lot of the time on Chopped, but I love her because of the pity
I feel that she never learnt how to smile. She tries, bless her, but her mouth's just not up to the task. She's clearly read about smiling in books, and occasionally she'll give it a try, but the poor dear. Also, I want someone to produce a shock photo of her eating in a Golden Corral or Ponderosa Steakhouse.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

TV Zombie posted:

Samuelsson?

I like the guy but his style feels much more global, harder to nail down. The reason I like the idea of region-specific iron chefs is the idea of giving them a secret ingredient not normally found in their style. That's part of why I love Morimoto. He cooks Japanese techniques and ingredients but throws that odd twist into it, whether its the secret ingredient or something he learned/ate in his travels. I would watch this guy on a 24 hour webcam feed into his kitchen.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

axleblaze posted:

A quick wiki search indicates that he's only won about 25% of the episodes. Most are cake/desert or sweet items. It's sort of silly.

quote:

Iron Chef

I vaguely remember watching a special on the original Iron Chef in that they'd have the chefs wait it out and see who got picked each week. I think they taped like 4 or 5 episodes at a time to reduce cost as well. I also recall there being an episode where the Iron Chefs actually fought it out off screen to have a shot at one of the dudes that Kaga brought in from overseas. I could be mistaken on the last part of that though.

Frankly, I don't see the problem with them getting all the chefs together and making them wait. Most, if not all, are local. I think Michael Symon being one of the only ones without a NYC eatery.

I'm torn on whether I'd want to see Batali back in Kitchen Stadium, though. He's funny as hell, cooks up some drat good looking food, and brings out the raging italian national in me, but I think I'd rather see him get an hour long show ala Emril Live and enjoy the chaos that would ensue.

I also feel the need to thank the thread for the Tony Bourdain stuff. I always meant to watch No Reservations but never got around to DVRing the poo poo out of it. You guys gave me the impetus to watch an episode and now I need to see it all.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!
That Marc Summers show did a behind-the-scenes on Iron Chef. It sort of ruined the show for me. And Zakarian winning completely turned me off.

The chefs are told of three possible ingredients so they can get a shopping list in for their pantries well ahead of time. Then when the chefs walk in and see the pantry, they know which of the three possible ingredients is going to be the secret ingredient.

Then they have the hour long battle to make the five dishes for the judges. But only one set. After the clock hits zero, they get 45 minutes to make the other three sets of dishes for the judges.

Alton Brown is constantly being fed information on what the ingredients are, what applications they could have, what they'll probably use that dish for, ... One of the people who feeds him his information is the older female chef that helps Bobby Flay in Throwdown.

And they do one in the morning, then the production crew comes in to clean up and get ready for the second, afternoon show. Pretty sure it's just two a day.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

So it seems Wednesdays, Food Network is doing some sort of pilot burn-off or something. Last week was a show they didn't promote, and it was just the one episode, and now tonight was a different show, also completely out of nowhere.

This one was "Food Attacks," which is people droning on and on and on as they recount times that foods made them sick while re-enactments take place.

I caught a replay of it. It wasn't horrifically bad, but it wasn't really interesting either.

It was just...horribly mediocre.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Timo posted:

That Marc Summers show did a behind-the-scenes on Iron Chef. It sort of ruined the show for me. And Zakarian winning completely turned me off.

The chefs are told of three possible ingredients so they can get a shopping list in for their pantries well ahead of time. Then when the chefs walk in and see the pantry, they know which of the three possible ingredients is going to be the secret ingredient.

Then they have the hour long battle to make the five dishes for the judges. But only one set. After the clock hits zero, they get 45 minutes to make the other three sets of dishes for the judges.

Alton Brown is constantly being fed information on what the ingredients are, what applications they could have, what they'll probably use that dish for, ... One of the people who feeds him his information is the older female chef that helps Bobby Flay in Throwdown.

And they do one in the morning, then the production crew comes in to clean up and get ready for the second, afternoon show. Pretty sure it's just two a day.

This is nothing new as the Japanese version went pretty much by the same format (after the first bunch of shows) of giving the chefs 5 different themes and then 'surprising' them with one of them on the reveal. Filming multiple battles on the same day was commonplace as well. As for the bonus time I believe there was some concession given for the chefs due to the length of time for tasting (mostly if not always for the IC due to going second obv) so they could present their dishes in the proper way instead of after sitting for 30 minutes getting cold/warm.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Chen Kenichi posted:

As for the bonus time I believe there was some concession given for the chefs due to the length of time for tasting (mostly if not always for the IC due to going second obv) so they could present their dishes in the proper way instead of after sitting for 30 minutes getting cold/warm.

I think it's different for the US and Japanese versions. The Japanese version seemed to have multiple plates done at the same time while the US version seems to be "get one plate done, make more later." Maybe it changed somewhere along the line and I don't remember though.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Yeah, the Japanese Iron Chef forced the chefs to make all their dishes in the time allotted, although they did get extra time for plating. The US version only makes the chefs make one plate's worth of each dish, then finish the rest after the battle proper.

The US version also increased the amount of planning time between the revelation of the theme ingredient and the start of cooking from 5 minutes to 15 and randomized the tasting order (challenger always went first in the Japanese version).

Overall, I like the Japanese format more, since the point is supposed to be that it's an incredibly difficult hour of cooking against an opponent with a serious homefield advantage, and if you win you're pretty much a badass. Having the odds stacked against the challenger is part of the show.

El Wombato fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 24, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I know who people like Guy are and why you should hate them. What's Zakarian's deal? I'm finally watching a Chopped ep with him as judge.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iastudent posted:

I know who people like Guy are and why you should hate them. What's Zakarian's deal? I'm finally watching a Chopped ep with him as judge.

Zakarian is declaring bankruptcy in order to get around paying his workers overtime.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Toffile posted:

Zakarian is declaring bankruptcy in order to get around paying his workers overtime.

Ahh, now it becomes more clear.

He also bad-mouthed frosted flakes. :mad:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

El Wombato posted:

Yeah, the Japanese Iron Chef forced the chefs to make all their dishes in the time allotted, although they did get extra time for plating. The US version only makes the chefs make one plate's worth of each dish, then finish the rest after the battle proper.

The US version also increased the amount of planning time between the revelation of the theme ingredient and the start of cooking from 5 minutes to 15 and randomized the tasting order (challenger always went first in the Japanese version).

Overall, I like the Japanese format more, since the point is supposed to be that it's an incredibly difficult hour of cooking against an opponent with a serious homefield advantage, and if you win you're pretty much a badass. Having the odds stacked against the challenger is part of the show.

And the only small comfort is the ingredient is in favor of them. I still remember battle yogurt, it was like the challenger could go into "I am going to curbstomp you in style" but instead decided to play around with the ingredient and observe Chen on working in a scenario similar to Chopped.

That said, I would kill to see someone who is focused completely on traditional Japanese Cuisine, no fusion, no fancy new techniques. Just good old fashioned traditional imperial Japanese cuisine.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 28, 2011

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

gyrobot posted:

That said, I would kill to see someone who is focused completely on traditional Japanese Cuisine, no fusion, no fancy new techniques. Just good old fashioned traditional imperial Japanese cuisine.

That'd be great, but remember, the judges are judging on an American palate, which calls for bolder and more present flavors and less attention to things like texture and balance.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

ashpanash posted:

That'd be great, but remember, the judges are judging on an American palate, which calls for bolder and more present flavors and less attention to things like texture and balance.

Well they will find a way to impress, but I don't think Ohta would risk one of their own members being made a clown in new york. It will be rather hollow in terms of victory.

Also I dislike the new food travel shows at Food Network, why did they stop making shows about rich chefs going to exotic locales to eat expensive high class food and schmoozing the chef who owns the place. At least the Canadian Food Network shows still have some sense of dignity in terms of food. Seriously a food travel show about food carts? I want some fine dining damnit

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Anyone remember the name of the cooking show that Discovery channel showed every afternoon around 3 or 4pm? It had a southern sounding lady narrating.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ashpanash posted:

And for everything to be made into in ice cream. Don't forget that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

gyrobot posted:

Also I dislike the new food travel shows at Food Network, why did they stop making shows about rich chefs going to exotic locales to eat expensive high class food and schmoozing the chef who owns the place.

When did they start doing that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

raditts posted:

When did they start doing that?

When Bourdain started doing it?

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone remember the name of the cooking show that Discovery channel showed every afternoon around 3 or 4pm? It had a southern sounding lady narrating.

Was it Great Chefs? I absolutely loved that show. Just one chef, doing one dish. I'm not surprised it didn't last, but it was great while it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

When Bourdain started doing it?

Bourdain is no doubt rich, but he doesn't give off the "rich chef" vibe and he seems to prefer obscure hole-in-the-wall joints to "expensive high-class food." And if that was when Food Network started doing it with him, it certainly ended with him too; I sure don't remember it ever being a trend.

• Locked thread