Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm worried that the pasta will fall apart, should I boil it at just under a boil if possible? Should I use an egg to bind the dough or will it be sticky enough on its own? I think I'm over thinking it all, this looks pretty easy to be honest (famous last words)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

(famous last words)
they certainly are. have fun with your flour soup if you omit the egg

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wine yes, mint not so much. Though parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme would all be fine.

Thanks. I love mint sauce with roast lamb, but wasn't entirely sure about it in stew.

As for other herbs, what do I do with them: chopped finely, put in whole (to remove later) or use a little spice basket thingie?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I just tried my hand at making beef stock and I find it very flavorless. I used:

5 lbs roasted cut marrow bones
2 large carrots
1 huge white onion
3 celery stalks
2 bay leafs
20ish peppercorns
tablespoon of thyme
water to cover the mix

Typical simmer for 6 hours with the cover on.

Yield: a little less than 4 litres of stock.

I guess I'll need to reduce to get the flavor I'm looking for but that seems like a lot of work for 3 liters of stock. Did I not use enough bones or aromatics?

Finally, what happens if you leave stock simmering for a long time, like 16 hours? It was midnight last night when it was finished and I was tempted to just leave it simmering and go to bed instead of dealing with the filtering and cooling at that hour.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Canuckistan posted:

I just tried my hand at making beef stock and I find it very flavorless. I used:

5 lbs roasted cut marrow bones
2 large carrots
1 huge white onion
3 celery stalks
2 bay leafs
20ish peppercorns
tablespoon of thyme
water to cover the mix

Typical simmer for 6 hours with the cover on.

Yield: a little less than 4 litres of stock.

I guess I'll need to reduce to get the flavor I'm looking for but that seems like a lot of work for 3 liters of stock. Did I not use enough bones or aromatics?

Finally, what happens if you leave stock simmering for a long time, like 16 hours? It was midnight last night when it was finished and I was tempted to just leave it simmering and go to bed instead of dealing with the filtering and cooling at that hour.

Some stock king or queen will come in here and correct me, but I don't see any salt in your ingredient list, shouldn't there be some?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Some stock king or queen will come in here and correct me, but I don't see any salt in your ingredient list, shouldn't there be some?

You can leave your stock under/un-salted and ready to be adjusted later depending on the use of the stock as well as personal taste. Personally, I also don't salt mine anymore than may have been used on the chicken in the first place.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

It's better to make your stock salt free, so you can salt whatever you're using it in to taste. Don't think of stock as a finished dish, but as an ingredient you will use in other dishes.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
And therefore, it will taste like nothing until you salt it. Then it will taste glorious.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Hmm.. I should try warming up a few tablespoons worth and salting it before reducing it more. Thanks for the replies.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I accidentally let our supply of gallon ziploc bags run out, so when I brought home a rotisserie chicken and my husband pulled all the meat off, he decided to throw the bones away :(

I realize that I already have a couple of chicken carcasses in the freezer, and about a gallon of homemade chicken stock frozen in tubs, but I still felt sad about the waste.

Does anybody here do homemade consommes? I've always wanted to try it, but it looks difficult and time-consuming.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

Hmm.. I should try warming up a few tablespoons worth and salting it before reducing it more. Thanks for the replies.

That's exactly what I do when I make it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

thefoozl posted:

Thanks. I love mint sauce with roast lamb, but wasn't entirely sure about it in stew.

As for other herbs, what do I do with them: chopped finely, put in whole (to remove later) or use a little spice basket thingie?

The sage can be chopped or torn and stewed with everything else. Rosemary and time would be put in whole for stewing to be removed later, along with bay leaves. Parsley should be chopped fine and served on top of the stew, but with plenty of it so not just a garnish to make it look pretty.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MasterFugu posted:

they certainly are. have fun with your flour soup if you omit the egg

Just a quick trip report, they turned out really well. I didn't have one fall apart in the water. It took a lot longer to get down a rhythm making them than I thought, really wish I had a partner next to me helping. I think next time I'll spend a few hours making tons of them and freezing them, will they be good like that? Also thinking of putting a little pancetta or some other meat inside them

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
I'm making fudge and my recipe calls for 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips but I have much better quality semisweet chocolate in bar form (Scharffen Berger). Does it matter? Should I just go ahead and use chips? If I were to use the bars (9.7oz each) how much would translate to the amount of chips I need?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Angstronaut posted:

I'm making fudge and my recipe calls for 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips but I have much better quality semisweet chocolate in bar form (Scharffen Berger). Does it matter? Should I just go ahead and use chips? If I were to use the bars (9.7oz each) how much would translate to the amount of chips I need?

Do you have a scale? You need to do it by weight.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you have a scale? You need to do it by weight.

Hmmm, good idea. I don't have a scale but this site http://www.foodsubs.com/Chocvan.html (most of the way down) says 1 cup chips = 6oz. The bag claims to be 10z and measures to be slightly less than 2 cups, so the 6oz thing seems to work pretty well.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I just had my first attempt at making nut brittle fail. I was not expecting it to bubble up so much as it boiled, and so the largest saucepan I had was not big enough to hold the volume required to get it hot enough (I think).

Anyway, now I have a gooey slab of lightly tanned sugar and nuts cooling in my kitchen. It's tasty, but it is not brittle. Is there something I can roll this into, i.e. another recipe, rather than just tossing it and chalking one up to learning?

e: pistachios, before anyone has to ask.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Trip report! I asked this thread about soup instructions a while back and finally made it yesterday/today.

The stock went well, I think. Cornish hen bones and a ham bone, a lot of water, some celery, bay leaf, onion, garlic, and carrots. Simmered for about six hours, skimming crud off the top occasionally, though there wasn't much to skim. I'm guessing it could have used another couple hours, and possibly a few degrees warmer, but that's hindsight. It was midnight by the time I was taking it off the heat, and I wanted to sleep.

I chilled it fairly quickly and stuck it in the fridge for what ended up yesterday and today (it got cool enough with a couple of cold water baths that it didn't cook the fridge contents) and we took it out for soup tonight.

Brought the stock to a boil, then added about two pounds of chopped up chicken chunks. Cooked those for a while then added some more celery, carrots, and onion, as well as a couple of tomatoes and (at my gf's mom's suggestion) some basil. After another while of cooking, when the tomatoes were falling apart, we cooked some egg noodles to add. When those were done and added, we decided to eat.

Delicious! At least pretty drat good for a first attempt at soup. I could have done a few things differently. A little longer cooking the stock, maybe reducing it since it wasn't very gelled from being in the fridge. The chicken could have been cut into smaller chunks and maybe flavored somehow, it was a bit bland to eat in large chunks. Definitely something I'll make again when the stars align and I have ingredients for it.

As a bonus, I got to prep it all with the knife this very thread recommended to me! Sharp as a dream compared to the assorted crap knives I've been using.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, so about this crown roast I'm planning to do... I looked up a bunch of recipes and it seems half of them say to just pop it in the oven and others say to do a marinade/rub/whatever. Anyone wanna recommend one way or the other?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Good meat doesn't deserve a marinade. Do you have good meat?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Even salted my stock doesn't taste good. I decided to reduce it by 2/3 since it didn't gel at all when in the fridge and it has more flavour now but it's not a good flavour. Kind of bitter and not much beef at all.

I didn't burn the bones when I browned them. I just don't know were the flavour went. The stock did boil for a few minutes at the start and it never generated much foam while simmering.

Any suggestions?

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
Did you caramelize before drowning in water? How did you brown the marrow bones? Did you include some trimmings? If you oven roasted the bones did you remember to deglaze the pan and add that to the pot?

The bitter suggests there was some burning that happened, but that wouldn't leave the stock flat.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I browned the bones for 60 minutes at 400 w/convection in a dark pan. I did deglaze however there was a lot of fat and not much crispy stuff to deglaze.

I cooked the veggies for about 15 minutes in the stock pot before adding the water. The onions were starting to brown when I stopped. The veggies didn't burn as far as I know.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

An hour roast seems a bit long, but if you were flipping and watching for char then it may not be the culprit of the bitter. From the sound you did everything expected to get a proper stock. For a more beefier flavor your options come down to including trimmings or stew meats that have been slightly roasted with the bones (add them to the pan near the end so they just get browned not cooked), and simmer it longer. For beef I always go at least 8 hours, just to get everything sucked out that can be.

As far as I know stock can be simmered up to 24 hours without issue, you just run the risk of reducing too much if you didn't start with a cauldron pot. I've never done beef in that kind of volume though, only chicken. Just keep in mind the longer beef cooks the less flavor in the meat itself, so if you intend on using the meat after you don't want to simmer to the point of mushy veg.

VVVVVV For duck go with mashed sweet potatoes. Just like your standard mashed taters - butter, cream, S&P, but add in a dash of nutmeg.

slavedaeva fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 23, 2011

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good sweet potato recipe that's a little more involved and complex than the usual kind made for the holidays? I'm making duck using this recipe suggested a couple pages back http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/duck-a-l-orange
and it seems like the normal sweet potato marshmallow goo wouldn't do it justice as a side. The other things going with the meal are going to be whatever fresh green vegetable I can get from the store (some sort of green bean, pea, asparagus, etc) and dutch oven bread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Good meat doesn't deserve a marinade. Do you have good meat?

Vacuum sealed pork racks from Costco most likely

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
First attempt at making cheesecake and I forgot to butter the springform pan. How hosed am I? My only saving grace might be that it's completely new and "non-stick".

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

slavedaeva posted:

An hour roast seems a bit long, but if you were flipping and watching for char then it may not be the culprit of the bitter. From the sound you did everything expected to get a proper stock.

Good to know. I'll try again sometime soon. Thanks.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Anybody else barbecuing for Christmas? I picked up a pork shoulder today and some crown rolls, and paid my kid five dollars to clean the smoker racks I forgot to wash after my last batch of barbecue.

My mom bought me wood chips as part of my Christmas presents :3:

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

geetee posted:

First attempt at making cheesecake and I forgot to butter the springform pan. How hosed am I? My only saving grace might be that it's completely new and "non-stick".

You should be fine. Even better if you're doing a NY or a berry topped. Worse case the filling will stick a bit as it's shrinking and crack. When you turn off the oven and crack it to let the cake cool take a peak, if you see any spots seriously attached use a metal spatula LIGHTLY around the edge to give it wiggle room. The crust may end up a bit more crumbly than you wanted, but will taste just fine.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

slavedaeva posted:

You should be fine. Even better if you're doing a NY or a berry topped. Worse case the filling will stick a bit as it's shrinking and crack. When you turn off the oven and crack it to let the cake cool take a peak, if you see any spots seriously attached use a metal spatula LIGHTLY around the edge to give it wiggle room. The crust may end up a bit more crumbly than you wanted, but will taste just fine.

Thanks :) I think it will release good enough. The edges aren't perfectly smooth but it looks like I'm free and clear from any cracks. Now I just need to resist cutting into it before Christmas.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Does Demara sugar count as white or brown for recipes? It's just saying it's for baking...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Brown-ish.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
I baked cookies for my partner's family for Christmas, but unfortunately he forgot them when he went up to see them, and by the time I get up there the cookies will be 6 days old. Are they going to go stale/hard in that time? Is it a wash? I had frozen most of them already as I baked them 1-2 weeks ago, so I'm afraid to "refreeze" them again. What's the best way that I can keep them between now and when I can go up? If it matters the cookies in question are chocolate crinkle, ginger molasses, and those brown butter cookies. Also oreo truffles, but I'm less worried about them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

Does Demara sugar count as white or brown for recipes? It's just saying it's for baking...

it should have more flavor than white sugar but won't be as moist as what you usually buy as "brown sugar." you can probably substitute demerara = light brown sugar but I'd add a spoonful of molasses too if your recipe calls for dark brown sugar.

Camembert posted:

I baked cookies ...
the cookies will be as good as they taste: they aren't going to spoil in a dangerous way. wrap them tightly and leave them somewhere cool and dry (not the fridge, freezer is better than fridge), your biggest worry should be staling.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 24, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok, so last question about crown roast... brine? Or unnecessary?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Ok, so last question about crown roast... brine? Or unnecessary?

Yes if pork (not actually necessary but I don't mind doing it), no if lamb.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ugh looks like I'm going to have to anyways. Costco ran out of pork racks and no grocer in my immediate area had any racks so I ended up buying a pre-made crown roast. It has slits to help it bend.

And I was really looking forward to making it from scratch :(

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 24, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Ugh looks like I'm going to have to anyways. Costco ran out of pork racks and no grocer in my immediate area had any racks so I ended up buying a pre-made crown roast. It has slits to help it bend.

Er, why does that mean that you have to brine it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Don't the slits mean it loses more moisture?