Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Event photography is more about the coverage than the actual photography. People care more that there are pictures of them rather than good pictures of the event.

Exactly. They want to see any and all shots of them goofing off with friends at parties, any possible shot of their kid at a sporting event, etc. We nitpick the poo poo out of the technical aspects of the photos but most little Johnny's parents could care less that the DOF isn't quite what you wanted or something, so long as they see little Jonny in there.

It's not a good/bad thing one way or the other, it's just the nature of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
What's wrong with overshooting? Memory cards are cheap. I never really thought about it, but paragon8 is right. Event photography is more about coverage than it is about perfection. I feel that overshooting everything and everyone at least twice or more times with get me a decent amount of keepers. It does make post and culling pretty tedious, I must admit.

On the other hand, what can he expect for free? I would be offended if someone asked for all of my shots from an event as well. You know, what about making a dummy flickr account? I have one for my family and friends photos that is separate from my main account.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

stizu posted:

What's wrong with overshooting? Memory cards are cheap. I never really thought about it, but paragon8 is right. Event photography is more about coverage than it is about perfection. I feel that overshooting everything and everyone at least twice or more times with get me a decent amount of keepers. It does make post and culling pretty tedious, I must admit.

On the other hand, what can he expect for free? I would be offended if someone asked for all of my shots from an event as well. You know, what about making a dummy flickr account? I have one for my family and friends photos that is separate from my main account.

The dummy account sounds like a good idea, but then I would have to export everything as lower size JPEG, and my computer just couldn't handle converting that many pictures, it would take forever :(

About the overshooting. I have no problem taking a lot of extra pictures. A break away in the hockey games is a good example, the D7000 absolutely dominates that, I can easily get 10-15 pictures if someone breaks away. The problem I have is uploading every single one of those pictures. People are not meant to see every picture taken during a sports game, that is why I go through and pick out the pictures I think are worth saving.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

In principle there seems to be almost no reason not to overshoot for most applications, but in practice you can end up with a huge effort in post in actually making selects.

Turning 1000 shots into 10 takes a much longer time than 200-300 into 10. You end up getting stuck in very similar pictures and it's tough to choose between however there's a chance you'll miss a great shot if you're not overshooting when you already have a good picture. You might have missed some things and your killer shot is slightly out of focus etc.

It's a tough balance that you really need to figure out yourself and what you feel confident with.

Events are good to overshoot for sure though, you just slap on a cool filter and upload to a big gallery and everyone's a happy duck

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I overshoot like mad, a habit gained by spending a lot of time at car races.

Fortunately Lightroom makes it as painless as possible, X and 1,2,3,4,5 are my favorite buttons in that program.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, better to have too much than not enough

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I overshoot as well if I can, then the first thing I do in LR is go through every photo and delete the ones that are blurry/out of focus/what the hell was I thinking.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HookShot posted:

I overshoot as well if I can, then the first thing I do in LR is go through every photo and delete the ones that are blurry/out of focus/what the hell was I thinking.

If you can place a value on your sanity for culling images photo mechanic is a nice purchase. It renders images super fast so culling is a breeze.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, better to have too much than not enough

Downside: The pesky client who notices how much you took, and asks where the rest are, even after pained efforts to explain to them they did not fit your standards of quality to give to the client.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QPZIL posted:

HoP: "*exasperated sigh*, just send me everything you took, I'll see what I can salvage."
Me: ":aaa: Uh, no?"

Send him 100 photos of you mashing your shutter open in bulb mode while wildly swinging it around for 20 seconds, then another 100 at 1/4000 f/22 pointed at the floor and see how many he can salvage. Here 'ya go, smart guy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

William T. Hornaday posted:

It mostly comes down to the fact that no one there (except me, apparently) understands photographic copyright, and I come across looking like a neurotic rear end in a top hat when I try to explain it to people and ask that they respect it.

Almost every single photo I've taken at work was off the clock, on my lunch, or on my breaks. I'm nice enough to let my immediate coworkers use them for presentations, projects, etc. and occasionally I'll allow them to be used for official company stuff like press releases, graphics, or on the website, on the condition that I provide explicit permission for the specific use and that I'm credited as the photographer. Those requests have apparently rubbed at least one higher-up the wrong way in the past. And just recently a photo of mine was 'authorized' by someone above me to be used in a official company publication and I didn't find out about it until I saw a copy of the finished product in the gift shop. I reiterated my conditions for the use of my photos to the person responsible and it was met with hostility.

I'm seriously considering just not ever sharing my photos with anyone at work again because it always seems to erupt into a giant clusterfuck like this, but doing that will undoubtedly also piss people off. And honestly, the thing that bothers me the most about all this is that it's completely taken the enjoyment out of taking photos there.

This is going to be trickier. They're not just using a product you own (saving money), they're stealing a product you own and selling it (making profit). I suggest you follow up on this, ask for compensation, and don't make your shots available anymore if they're going to be dicks about it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You need to for-serious stop sharing your pictures with your employer.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
A lot of this crap seems to come down to the fact that there are a half-dozen volunteer photographers who periodically just hand over CDs of their photos to the curator in each department, and don't seem to give a poo poo about their copyright or whether anyone respects it. Somehow I've been lumped in with these morons (apparently for no other reason than I own a camera) and everyone assumes that I've also simply given the company free reign to use my stuff however they see fit. To be clear, I was credited for the works in question, but I can't see how that really changes anything.

I've already removed any evidence of my photos from work; even cleared all evidence of them out of my personal account on the network. I'm planning on meeting with the director of HR in the next week or so, as well as the heads of any departments that played a role along the way in allowing this to happen. I'm very hesitant to ask for compensation (because I don't know the first thing about it and that's a little bit further down the bridge-burning rabbit hole than I'm willing to go), but I'm definitely going to make it incredibly clear to everyone that this is potentially lawsuit territory that they've incompetently stumbled into.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A lot of this crap seems to come down to the fact that there are a half-dozen volunteer photographers who periodically just hand over CDs of their photos to the curator in each department, and don't seem to give a poo poo about their copyright or whether anyone respects it. Somehow I've been lumped in with these morons (apparently for no other reason than I own a camera) and everyone assumes that I've also simply given the company free reign to use my stuff however they see fit. To be clear, I was credited for the works in question, but I can't see how that really changes anything.

I've already removed any evidence of my photos from work; even cleared all evidence of them out of my personal account on the network. I'm planning on meeting with the director of HR in the next week or so, as well as the heads of any departments that played a role along the way in allowing this to happen. I'm very hesitant to ask for compensation (because I don't know the first thing about it and that's a little bit further down the bridge-burning rabbit hole than I'm willing to go), but I'm definitely going to make it incredibly clear to everyone that this is potentially lawsuit territory that they've incompetently stumbled into.

90% of people don't value photography unfortunately. If your hobby was baking it'd be like them expecting you to cater company events instead of a paid cater after you bring in a cake or two for a birthday.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

evil_bunnY posted:

You need to for-serious stop sharing your pictures with your employer.
Don't do this.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Having walked around with point and shoots, DSLRs, film SLRs, and a TLR while taking pictures in public, I've found that the more eccentric your camera looks, the nicer people are to you (with my new TLR, a little old lady smiled and told me "ooh, I hope you're getting some good pictures!" :3:) By extension, if I walked around with a view camera mounted to a steadicam rig, I would be the most popular and well liked person in the world.

Yeah, you are basically immune to photo-phobia if you've got something weird on you, my Speed Graphic is awesome for that. This winter break, maybe I'll get the new back swapped on to my Graflex SLR :toot:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Don't do this.

Once the dust has settled on this, I'm still planning on sharing photos with my coworkers because I've got no beef with them on this issue. But hell if I'm going to let any of my photos leave the office without attaching some sort of form to each and every one of them specifically stating what use permissions I have granted.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
My job role has nothing to do with photography at work, but part of is that I'm sort of expected/assumed to take photos at parties/whatevers.

I had my company buy an "office" camera, a rebel with a kit lens and a 430ex II, that is always on site ready to be used. I scheduled a 30 minute meeting and instructed 2-3 other technically minded "photographers" how to use a DSLR, at least on auto or no-flash auto, and they even picked up Av mode! So I can take pics or hand it off to a few people and they can take some "awesome photos!" and everyones happy, even me.

That way, I don't feel bad at all taking pics at company functions. Sometimes I might bring my 5d2 and L lenses for whatever reason, but then it's just for fun. And nobody bothers me about all the extra pics that I don't post.

Here's the phrase I use when someone asks me where the rest of the pics are: "Yeah, those didn't come out. Taking pictures with these cameras is pretty hard. You see the big name guys just blazing away at a million frames a second? that's because most don't come out!" And if it comes to them demanding to see something, I show them a totally over exposed blurry shot of the floor or something that I happened to take.

On a happier note, here's what my amazing girlfriend (goon korov) got me for our Anniversary / Christmas:

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 24, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Don't do this.

One of my favorite types of advice is advice that has no argument backing it up. So you don't agree with what evil_bunny said, can you provide some sort of explanation so that the rest of us non mind readers know what's happening?

The other thing getting to me lately is how the dorkroom talks about how rebels should be fine to start photography with, even a small business, but everyone also seems to blast rebels like they're total pieces of poo poo not worth a second thought in terms of professional photography.

I seem really frustrated tonight.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Your camera selection really depends on three things: how much depth-of-field you want, how big you want to print, and how good an autofocus system you need. If you need full-frame depth of field, nothing but a 5d* or 1ds* will do (or a $20 EOS film camera and a $120 scanner, don't discount this for low-end bang-for-the-buck). If you need a big print, more modern is better because you get more megapickels. If you need better autofocus, more modern is better but so is a prosumer/pro camera instead of digital. If you just want something to develop your composition with and you will only be outputting JPGs or small prints, a Rebel will do fine.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 24, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dunkman posted:

Here's the phrase I use when someone asks me where the rest of the pics are: "Yeah, those didn't come out. Taking pictures with these cameras is pretty hard. You see the big name guys just blazing away at a million frames a second? that's because most don't come out!" And if it comes to them demanding to see something, I show them a totally over exposed blurry shot of the floor or something that I happened to take.

Generally speaking I don't think most people get most of their pictures to turn out. If you're a pro, you just shoot more and your skills give you a slightly higher 'hit' rate, and that yields more keepers.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 24, 2011

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Paul MaudDib posted:

Generally speaking I don't think most people get most of their pictures to turn out. If you're a pro, you just shoot more and your skills give you a slightly higher 'hit' rate.

Oh yeah, it's total b.s. They don't understand that I might take 6 pictures in 3 seconds of the same couple, but in 4 of those pictures, the wife's eyes are closed/half closed and the husband looks drunk. So I only show the good 1 or 2. But they don't' get that part, they *think* they want all 6

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

It mostly comes down to the fact that no one there (except me, apparently) understands photographic copyright, and I come across looking like a neurotic rear end in a top hat when I try to explain it to people and ask that they respect it.

I got invited to a gallery opening a couple of weekends ago and found out that an acquaintance of mine used about a dozen of my photos as business cards. The entire night people were complimenting his photography, but he is a painter and illustrator.

The photos he used weren't even the repro shots I did of his work, they were random pictures sort of collaged together. It was loving surreal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Basically, a shitload of his business has been based upon your publications. Sue your friend's rear end for actual and punitive damages.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

One of my favorite types of advice is advice that has no argument backing it up. So you don't agree with what evil_bunny said, can you provide some sort of explanation so that the rest of us non mind readers know what's happening?

The other thing getting to me lately is how the dorkroom talks about how rebels should be fine to start photography with, even a small business, but everyone also seems to blast rebels like they're total pieces of poo poo not worth a second thought in terms of professional photography.

Both those things are true. If you're good enough, you will be able to make photos from rebels look fantastic (note: I started on a rebel). If you're good enough, you will also hate how much the rebel series limits your work, so you will move on quickly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CarrotFlowers posted:

Simple. Stop listening to all the other forums.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

nonanone posted:

Both those things are true. If you're good enough, you will be able to make photos from rebels look fantastic (note: I started on a rebel). If you're good enough, you will also hate how much the rebel series limits your work, so you will move on quickly.

I am a beginner photographer , could you elaborate on the limitation? I have not reached them but I am wondering what they are?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I had to count to ten and close my reddit tab because of a lovely photography thread.

This place is a haven but still has lovely elements but just glancing outside you can see how terrible the rest of the internet is for photography.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Niagalack posted:

I am a beginner photographer , could you elaborate on the limitation? I have not reached them but I am wondering what they are?

It depends on the person really. But for me, low-light & ergonomics were 2 big factors. Also crop body in general.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
For the ergonomics you can buy a battery grip. The body of my T2i is in plastic, I wish it was sturdier. My lens feel more heavier than the body which feels awkward. I wish I had a full frame sensor but the cost is ...

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
ERRBODY GET THIS EXTENSION! You can ignore timgs now, and saves browsing time.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nonjdcjchghhkdoolnlbekcfllmednbl

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Suicide Watch posted:

ERRBODY GET THIS EXTENSION! You can ignore timgs now, and saves browsing time.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nonjdcjchghhkdoolnlbekcfllmednbl

Done!!!!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

nonanone posted:

I 100% agree and know this so i'm not too sure what I was talking about last night. Note to self: Do not post after Christmas party...

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you need full-frame depth of field, nothing but a 5d* or 1ds* will do (or a $20 EOS film camera and a $120 scanner, don't discount this for low-end bang-for-the-buck).

Just skip small format entirely and get a Bronica ETRS outfit for $300 on keh.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
My mother in law gave me a 50/1.8 for christmas. She called it my "big present" :shobon:

Tell you what though, after carry the 5D2 + Grip + Sigma 50/1.4 + a flash all day, the 50/1.8 is really welcome. Such a great gift!

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elite Taco posted:

My mother in law gave me a 50/1.8 for christmas. She called it my "big present" :shobon:

Tell you what though, after carry the 5D2 + Grip + Sigma 50/1.4 + a flash all day, the 50/1.8 is really welcome. Such a great gift!

Lucky you, my grandma still hands me a 20 and tells me not to spend it all in one place :3:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
:) Yeah, but grandmas win like, 1000-2000 DAAAAAWWWW points pretty easily. :3

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elite Taco posted:

I love that the most expensive camera canon/nikon makes topped with a cheap 50 is a perfectly good combo.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I love that the most expensive camera canon/nikon makes topped with a cheap 50 is a perfectly good combo.

It's surprisingly good, mine is dead on @ 1.8 and super sharp by 2/2.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evil_bunnY posted:

For Nikon DX cameras, the 35mm is the same. It is great on the cheapest DX bodies, and it is great on the expensive DX bodies. Kudos to Nikon for finally updating the 50mm to work on the cheaper bodies, they should have done that a long time ago.