Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

as if it wasn't already stupid-looking enough already to wear anime-paraphernalia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

So, another retarded FSN noob question. I haven't seen it specifically mentioned, but I'm guessing the grail actually grants two wishes? One for the servant and one for the master? What happens if there is a direct conflict or contradiction?

Its not actually something you use to wish as much as something that have enough power to accomplish what you need. Saying more would be spoilers, but I'll say that the whole nature of this ritual is wrapped in conspiracies.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AnacondaHL posted:

as if it wasn't already stupid-looking enough already to wear anime-paraphernalia

At least it's better than those retarded button up shirts with DBZ characters plastered all over them.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
Personally I can't wait for the videos displaying groups of Assassins running around harassing people.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of Assassin, rarely you can stump on a good fanart of him. Much less a decent one. Truly the least popular class by far in the whole franchise, not counting Avenger of course.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1324737780

Last episode of season one is up.

EDIT: Well drat, that was a fantastic way to go out.

"I shall give you the greatest 'cool' you have ever seen!"

Caster is the best.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 24, 2011

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-6151.html

The full version of episode 11 will air January 2nd.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's a cliffhanger Christmas.

Ah well, better than what happened last year with Panty Stocking.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007
Apparently, tomorrow is also Arcueid Brunestud's birthday...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Welp, time to seal myself in a cryogenic pod until April 2012.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I hope they're using the time to the next season to make awesome animation. The next few episodes better be beyond epic.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Holy poo poo that last scene with Saber dashing across the river to attack Not-Quite-Cthulhu was loving gorgeous. I'm perfectly fine waiting until April if they produce more animation like that.

Also, is it bad that Ryunosuke's rant about God being a writer that loves his villainous characters as much as his heroes kind of made a lot of sense to me?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3 months of waiting noooooooooooooo

Ended exactly at the cliffhanger I was afraid it would. At least we can count on the first episode of next season to basically be the greatest thing ever.

Saber being all "Water? Heh." was a great little touch that they never mentioned in Stay/Night.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 24, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
God drat this loving show. Can't wait for april.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Bakanogami posted:

3 months of waiting noooooooooooooo

Ended exactly at the cliffhanger I was afraid it would. At least we can count on the first episode of next season to basically be the greatest thing ever.

Saber being all "Water? Heh." was a great little touch that they never mentioned in Stay/Night.

Rider is best Santa.

This episode was great, I was expecting the last episode to be a lot more anticlimactic. Liked the continued character development for Waver and Rider (arguably the real main characters) and also for Caster and Ryuunosuke.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Caster and Uryuu's VAs are having way too much fun with this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DerLeo posted:

Caster and Uryuu's VAs are having way too much fun with this.
They deserve some kind of award. Best use of random English, maybe.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is exactly the sort of thing that will probably be explained, but near the end I kept wondering why they don't just focus on finding Casters worthless rear end Master, since he's not even a mage or anything I would assume he'd be much easier to take out

Regardless, this has been a whole lot more entertaining than I thought it was going to be, definitely looking forward to season two.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a kitten posted:

This is exactly the sort of thing that will probably be explained, but near the end I kept wondering why they don't just focus on finding Casters worthless rear end Master, since he's not even a mage or anything I would assume he'd be much easier to take out

Lancer and Rider would rather fight head on. Tokiomi's plan is to wait and let the other Servants tire Caster out while Archer doesn't really care too much. Kotomine is still devoted to supporting Tokiomi from the shadows, it wouldn't be any good if he revealed that he was still working with Tokiomi if he were to hunt down Caster's Master on his own. Saber is the type to fight Caster directly and Kritsugu cares more about dispatching Lancer at the moment. Kariya only cares about killing Tokiomi and Berserker is Berserker.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Redcrimson posted:

Holy poo poo that last scene with Saber dashing across the river to attack Not-Quite-Cthulhu was loving gorgeous. I'm perfectly fine waiting until April if they produce more animation like that.

Also, is it bad that Ryunosuke's rant about God being a writer that loves his villainous characters as much as his heroes kind of made a lot of sense to me?

Considering the God of the original Torah... Yeah.

Not-Quite-Cthulhu blew me away, I was HOPING that they would step up the Lovecraftian stuff a bit but they just went for the goal there.

Factor_VIII posted:

This, I've seen a couple of episodes in between Tsukihime routes and I don't see anything atrocious about it yet, I dug the way Arcueid sorta glared with a predator's eyes at Shiki at their 'second' meeting.

But hell man, APRIL of all times? Argh. I have to wait for the goddamn Hobbit AND Fate/Zero? Hell man.

Now it seems to be Assassin really doesn't get a lot of love, whenever I think of Assasin at this point I pretty much think Assassins Creed, would be nice if we had a solo Assassin dude who was as bad rear end.

However on the other hand we finally seem to have a vaguely threatening caster so thats good news, think we might eventually get a light novel/anime original earlier Grail Wars or maybe hopefully later ones?

Avenger sounds to me like a vaguely D&D Prestige class, if you were to have two others what would they be? Crusader sounds like a no contest name, maybe Sorcerer? I'm tempted to see what progress has been made on making a Type-Moon rpg system.

Now my family ie my sister and my brother like Gargoyles and my brother likes Full Metal Alchemist (albeit only in English) and aren't anime fans, would Fate/Zero be a good effort to introduce them a bit into Anime?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Probably not. It's a bit too heavy in places.

Though if any of them are mythology nerds and fine with playing somewhat fast and loose with said mythology it'd be worth a shot.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's arguable that killing Caster's master wouldn't do anything to stop Caster anyways. Not like the guy is a magus, so Caster's getting all his juice by devouring people's souls probably.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

It's arguable that killing Caster's master wouldn't do anything to stop Caster anyways. Not like the guy is a magus, so Caster's getting all his juice by devouring people's souls probably.

There's also a cut line from the novel about how Caster here isn't strictly summoning psuedo-Cthulhu and getting him to do his bidding. He's just opening the gate without any of the normal restrictions and letting the big guy through to do what he will. Which is to eat the town. So they potentially need to not only kill Ryuunosuke/Caster, but beat Cthulhu himself.

There's also the issue that nobody outside of Rin's actually met Ryuunosuke at this point, so none of the servants would even know who they're looking for.

I hate to get people's hopes up since we've got four months to go, but the second half is going to be off the chain. All of my favorite fight scenes from the books are crammed in there, and they'll have all that time to work on it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Raenir Salazar posted:

This, I've seen a couple of episodes in between Tsukihime routes and I don't see anything atrocious about it yet, I dug the way Arcueid sorta glared with a predator's eyes at Shiki at their 'second' meeting.

The problem people have with it is that it turns out it's actually not possible to fit in Nasu's endless mental dialogue and epitomes while at the same time having an enjoyable show. So a lot of stuff goes unexplained. Like Nanaya mode.

It's the same reason the F/SN anime is so decried and why Shirou is so constantly portrayed as both a misogynist and completely retarded. Without a look into his thoughts we have no way of knowing that the reason he doesn't want girls to fight is because he doesn't want anyone to get hurt while he's still capable of battling, or that a good chunk of the time he knows he's being an idiot but presses on anyways because that's what a hero does.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakanogami posted:

There's also a cut line from the novel about how Caster here isn't strictly summoning psuedo-Cthulhu and getting him to do his bidding. He's just opening the gate without any of the normal restrictions and letting the big guy through to do what he will. Which is to eat the town. So they potentially need to not only kill Ryuunosuke/Caster, but beat Cthulhu himself.

There's also the issue that nobody outside of Rin's actually met Ryuunosuke at this point, so none of the servants would even know who they're looking for.

I hate to get people's hopes up since we've got four months to go, but the second half is going to be off the chain. All of my favorite fight scenes from the books are crammed in there, and they'll have all that time to work on it.

Based from "The Elder Evils" (which actually sort of stats this sort of encounter) D&D source book I imagine they're fighting an aspect of Cthulhu since the 'stars aren't right' yet for it to be the sleeper of ryleh himself. is the term we are probably looking for.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Based from "The Elder Evils" (which actually sort of stats this sort of encounter) D&D source book I imagine they're fighting an aspect of Cthulhu since the 'stars aren't right' yet for it to be the sleeper of ryleh himself. is the term we are probably looking for.

Here's the exact description they give, if you're curious:

The dirty lump of meat had already swelled to the size of a sphere. No, maybe this is the real form of the diabolic underworld. All the familiars Caster had employed until today had to be but the bits and pieces of this; small fries which would not exceed this.

“That is......”

A grotesque shadow rising with darkness as its background. At that disgusting and yet overwhelming majesty, Saber held her breath.

Even the champions of the deep seas- whales and giant squids, could not boast of such large size. A nightmare which governs the ocean in the realm that is outside this world. Without a doubt, that aquatic giant fits the name of a “sea demon”.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

Last episode was such a cliffhanger, guess I should read novels now. Although I dislike reading something and knowing well that 90+% of the cast will die there.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

-Troika- posted:

Indeed. However Servants (other than Archers with an A+ rank in Independent Action; i.e. Gil) still need a Master to anchor them to the current time period even if the Master doesn't supply them with mana.

Though even without a Master any servant can remain for a minimum of half an hour which is more than enough time for Cthulhu to exit the river and start eating people. Killing Ryuunosuke wouldn't make Caster disappear fast enough to make a difference.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The fuyuki wiki describes them as follows:

quote:

怪魔 - Kaima
Creatures that aren't Phantasm Beasts nor spiritual bodies, but ones that exist in a dimension with entirely different natural laws. Large, having neither a discernable torso nor appendages; can best be described as a a bundle of countless tentacles. At what appears to be the base part of the countless tentacles is a circular mouth-like opening marked with shark-like blades. Summoned via the power of Prelati's Spellbook using blood and flesh in the material plane to form their bodies.
They are creatures from another dimension that require magical energy to remain in this world because reality itself rejects them. They are pretty Cthulhu mythos-like.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 25, 2011

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
This show :golfclap:

Does anyone know if there's a full version of the song that plays while Caster is being absorbed ? :ohdear:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
That was an nice ep with the cliffhanger making wanting April to come already, at least it will be a good birthday present when it comes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Such a good episode to end the season on... Caster summoning Cthulhu and about to wreck the whole city just to stick it to God; Rider, Saber, and Lancer going out to stop him, Rider going off in Gordius Wheel while Saber runs on water due to the protection of the Lady of the Lake, those F-15s in the preview heading towards the river, etc. It's going to be hell waiting these 4 months...

Ryuunosuke and Caster continue to impress with their voice acting. I never thought that gratuitous English could be so perfectly chilling and funny at the same time.

Also, Rider going to buy that game that's on his shirt was immensely hilarious. I can only imagine what the clerk must have looked like when he went to pay for it. At least Rider has pants now, though I guess he's had pants since the Feast of Kings...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, that was an exciting place to have a cliffhanger.
Hopefully Lancer will kill himself getting rid of squidface, then Saber can get better without having to be all mopey about it.
I liked how Riderfelt the need to go around telling everyone what was going on as if they wouldn't notice the gently caress-off huge monster bursting out of the river.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I need a reality check. I find Rider obnoxious, the serial killers' voices grating, their existence in the story a waste of time, and the setup to this fight cartoonish.

Am I crazy? Depression maybe?

Though I loved the banquet of the kings.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
How many times has Rider stole the show now?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Xy Hapu posted:

I need a reality check. I find Rider obnoxious, the serial killers' voices grating, their existence in the story a waste of time, and the setup to this fight cartoonish.

Yea something is wrong Rider owns and banquet of king was kind of boring. Rider is like the secret servant class: Bro.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xy Hapu posted:

Rider was kind of monodimensional up to Banquet of Kings but it was a pretty neat bit of characterization for him (to say nothing of Saber and Gilgamesh.)

Caster hasn't had that kind of moment just yet, but he serves as a foil to the heroic characters. And I bet something interesting will happen when/if his goals every diverge significantly from his master's.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Avenger sounds to me like a vaguely D&D Prestige class, if you were to have two others what would they be? Crusader sounds like a no contest name, maybe Sorcerer? I'm tempted to see what progress has been made on making a Type-Moon rpg system.

Dareon did a write up on Fate: The Unauthorized Nasuverse RPG in the FATAL and Friends thread in Traditional Games. Check the second post of the thread for links to each update. It's not a very good game, sadly.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Dareon did a write up on Fate: The Unauthorized Nasuverse RPG in the FATAL and Friends thread in Traditional Games. Check the second post of the thread for links to each update. It's not a very good game, sadly.

There's a link to that rpg here...
http://www.heavens-feel.com/fate_nasuverse_rpg.html

Randomzx fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 26, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Bakanogami posted:

Kinda late, but this is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
loving hell, I have to wait until April to have that resolved?

I was like "holy poo poo that ending was badass! I can't wait a whole loving week for the next episode!"

Then I find out I have to wait a minimum of 3 months.

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckingbullshitwhatthefuckisthisshit :bang:

• Locked thread