Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Are you barring the 3rd fret there?

Use fingers 1 3 2 4, and 1 2 1 4

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
I think you mean 1324. (And I'd move to 1314 because it's an easier transition, but 1214 might be less of a stretch.)

Not sure what to say about fingers being bunched up, though. Just practice, and make sure you're playing with your fingertips?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Learning the B7 chord got me using my finger tips everywhere. It sounds cool as hell, too.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

CitrusFrog posted:

gently caress, that dmin 6/A is hurting my fingers.

code:
-----------------5---------------|-----------------5---------------
-------------4-------4-----------|-------------3-------3-----------
---------5---------------5-------|---------4---------------4-------
-----4-----------------------4---|-----3-----------------------3---
-0-------------------------------|-0-------------------------------
---------------------------------|---------------------------------

The first one is basically the same fingering as a half diminished with the root on the A string but moved down one. So working down from the lowest note (fattest string) I'd use 1st finger, 3rd finger, 2nd finger, 4th finger on the thinnest string.

The second one is just half a barre? Barre the 3rd fret ones with your 1st finger then mess about with your others to find something that fits, the 4th fret I'd use my 2nd finger and the 5th I'd use my pinky, but I always end up fingering barre chords different to most people cause I'm a special little snowflake and my 3rd finger is wonky sometimes.

[edit] well I missed those other posts somehow opps.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I wasn't barring the 3rd fret, no, but now I'm going to have to give that a try instead and see if it makes the transition a little easier. Thanks for the help guys.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Or you could just slide the first chord down and leave your pinky where it is.

Incidentally if you've never seen that first chord before, move the whole thing down fret by fret playing it once each time for entertainments.

Then play it over and over real fast and move it up fret by fret, because a train's a-comin'

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

baka kaba posted:

Or you could just slide the first chord down and leave your pinky where it is.

Incidentally if you've never seen that first chord before, move the whole thing down fret by fret playing it once each time for entertainments.

Then play it over and over real fast and move it up fret by fret, because a train's a-comin'

That's what my guitar teacher was having me do. This is the first time really that my pinky's been involved in chordage, and it's really making the tip of that finger sore. I know that continued practice will toughen it up and it'll eventually hurt less, but the pain makes it difficult to keep the pinky pressed down.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

As always, Justin Guitar has a video for that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xex90siLkXg

As usual it's just a case of practicing and building up strength, that's a pretty good exercise because it starts easy and you can find out exactly where it starts to get difficult, and build up from there.

The other thing about a good exercise routine is that it helps build up finger independence and technique all across the fretboard. If you just do that chord exercise you've been given you'll probably get pretty good at it, but your pinky won't necessarily be able to handle similar awesomness in other situations. I learned playing from Smashing Pumpkins songbooks and picked up some awesome fast hammer-on/pull-off riffs that didn't translate into being awesome (or even good) at other slur lines. I built up specific muscle memory for a particular thing but not general muscle memory for the broader technique, if that makes sense

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thanks for the link. Justinguitar really is a gift that keeps on giving. I'm definitely going to have to try this exercise out.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I'm trying to learn tapping and now I'm getting shooting pains through the fingers I a tapping with. I'm hitting the stings with the front of my finger, is there a better way to do this?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nope, you've just gotta build up calluses on your fingertips.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
That's the thing though, I have played guitar for five years, and bass for two years before that. I have had blisters on top of blisters on both hands. When I try tapping it FEELS like I'm hitting the string wrong, and but all is should be is hammer ons, and pull offs with your strumming fingers, right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Not that I do it but how's the action on your guitar? I think you want it pretty low so your fingers don't have to drive the string 3 feet onto the fretboard.

Also if you post what you're learning from (if it's on the internet) people might be able to tell why it sucks (or is great!)

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

rivid posted:

I'm trying to learn tapping and now I'm getting shooting pains through the fingers I a tapping with. I'm hitting the stings with the front of my finger, is there a better way to do this?

This sounds more like you're pinching a nerve against the bone on impact. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the "front" of the finger but I would definitely recommend using the pad of your upper knuckle as much as possible, as opposed to the very tip where there isn't as much flesh.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Are you incorporating your right hand into the muting?

Not really, is this the key that I'm missing? I haven't been muting with the right because I never knew that was part of it. My friend who can sweep says he doesn't mute but he's always high and asking him about it is pointless. Should the base of the palm be rolling over the strings as I rake down or just slightly mute everything from the get-go?

Thanks.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

rivid posted:

That's the thing though, I have played guitar for five years, and bass for two years before that. I have had blisters on top of blisters on both hands. When I try tapping it FEELS like I'm hitting the string wrong, and but all is should be is hammer ons, and pull offs with your strumming fingers, right?

But you probably haven't been playing exclusively with hammers/pulls. Any sort of legato technique is higher impact than regular playing and will take some getting used to. Also make sure you aren't tapping too hard.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm looking to get into playing, and after a bit of research I'm trying to decide between an Epiphone SG 400 and a Squier Telecaster Affinity

Is there any difference I should be aware of besides "go try them and see which one you like best"? Like, is one of them better suited for beginners or something?

Cheers.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm looking to get into playing, and after a bit of research I'm trying to decide between an Epiphone SG 400 and a Squier Telecaster Affinity

Is there any difference I should be aware of besides "go try them and see which one you like best"? Like, is one of them better suited for beginners or something?

Cheers.

No such thing as a "beginner" instrument, really. The biggest difference in those two is the sound, and it'll be abundantly obvious if you try them back to back. The SG will have humbucker pickups, which have a "harder", more trebly sound suited to chunky rhythm and playing with distortion. The Telecaster has a really mellow, twangy sound and you hear it all over classic country songs. It sounds great clean. It might get muddy with rhythm playing and overdrive.

If you're not sure what music you want to play, the SG is probably better for diverse playing, while the Tele is a bit more specialized.

Go to a store and try out a Gibson/Epiphone and then try a Telecaster, or ask the clerk to demo them for you. Don't worry if they aren't the exact ones you're looking at; the differences just between the two brands should be enough to help you decide.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
What's the main function of these extra tuning knob things on my Parker? I've seen these on other guitars as well. What it seems to do is locks the string in place, and when I want to change strings I have to loosen it to get the string out.

Besides that, what are they used for exactly? I want to make sure I'm not misusing them/tightening them too much or something.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

the Bunt posted:

What's the main function of these extra tuning knob things on my Parker? I've seen these on other guitars as well. What it seems to do is locks the string in place, and when I want to change strings I have to loosen it to get the string out.

Besides that, what are they used for exactly? I want to make sure I'm not misusing them/tightening them too much or something.

They are so you don't have to wind the string around the peg multiple times to keep it in place. On a regular tuning peg the coiled windings keep it from popping out. You can cut the string to the exact length, reducing the slack that slips over time and causes the guitar to lose tuning faster.

When you change strings next, turn them so the hole is facing the nut and you can thread the string straight through. Pull it taut, tighten the lock all the way, then cut the excess string. You shouldn't need to wind the string around more than once to get it up to pitch. Just make sure the lock is screwed down all the way because you won't have any excess string to put back through the peg if it slips out.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I have a certain question re: playing mechanics:

1.) How vertical should my guitar be relative to my body? Should I only be looking at the fretboard's side, or should I lean my body over slightly so I can see some of it?

2.) How should I be moving to reach frets? If I stretch my fingers I hit the fret at an angle with my finger, which usually results in a weaker note. Should I be pivoting my wrist as well, or should I be physically moving my arm down the fretboard if I can't comfortably reach a certain fret?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Can someone tell me the reason these two Epiphone guitars are so different in price? I'm buying my first electric and don't really know what to look for as far as quality goes.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar, Ebony
$399
ASIN: B0002CZURO
Model number: ENS-EBCH1
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Standard-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/dp/B0002CZURO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1324178700&sr=1-1

Epiphone LP-100 Les Paul Electric Guitar, Ebony
$249
ASIN: B0002CZUU6
Model number: ENB-EBCH1
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-LP-100-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/dp/B0002CZUU6/ref=sr_1_30?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1324178798&sr=1-30

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

Can someone tell me the reason these two Epiphone guitars are so different in price? I'm buying my first electric and don't really know what to look for as far as quality goes.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar, Ebony
$399
ASIN: B0002CZURO
Model number: ENS-EBCH1
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Standard-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/dp/B0002CZURO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1324178700&sr=1-1

Epiphone LP-100 Les Paul Electric Guitar, Ebony
$249
ASIN: B0002CZUU6
Model number: ENB-EBCH1
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-LP-100-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/dp/B0002CZUU6/ref=sr_1_30?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1324178798&sr=1-30
The first one is a set neck(glued in) vs. the bolt on neck of the second one.
Both are perfectly fine construction techniques but if you are looking for the Les Paul sound the set neck one will get you closer to it.

There are probably differences in the wood and pick-ups as well but with a solid color you won't see that and pick-ups are easily upgraded. A neck joint isn't.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone know how to set the action on a single string on an Edge III floating trem?

My sixth first (skinny) string is much lower than the rest of the strings and I can't seem to figure it out.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 22, 2011

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Thumposaurus posted:

The first one is a set neck(glued in) vs. the bolt on neck of the second one.
Both are perfectly fine construction techniques but if you are looking for the Les Paul sound the set neck one will get you closer to it.

There are probably differences in the wood and pick-ups as well but with a solid color you won't see that and pick-ups are easily upgraded. A neck joint isn't.

Thanks, I'd never have known that. Is the bolt worth $150 if I don't know what I'm missing, soundwise? I'm a beginner without any taste or preferences.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Rolo posted:

Anyone know how to set the action on a single string on an Edge III floating trem?

My sixth (skinny) string is much lower than the rest of the strings and I can't seem to figure it out.

Assuming the Edge III isn't radically different from most other floating trems, it's not really easy to set an individual string's action. Your trem might be uneven and your treble stud might be a little higher than your bass stud. Check that.

Oh, and usually, the highest string is referred to as the first string, with the lowest as the sixth. I'm not trying to :spergin: you it's just helpful to know.

Analytic Engine posted:

Thanks, I'd never have known that. Is the bolt worth $150 if I don't know what I'm missing, soundwise? I'm a beginner without any taste or preferences.
You probably wouldn't be missing anything, but chances are the Standard is noticeably higher quality than the LP-100.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Assuming the Edge III isn't radically different from most other floating trems, it's not really easy to set an individual string's action. Your trem might be uneven and your treble stud might be a little higher than your bass stud. Check that.

Oh, and usually, the highest string is referred to as the first string, with the lowest as the sixth. I'm not trying to :spergin: you it's just helpful to know.
:argh::spergin::argh:

Nah, I appreciate corrections as I'm obviously still a bit rusty.

Are the studs you're talking about the two bolts that anchor the trem? The one nearest the ground when held (I'm assuming the treble stud) does seem to be a tiny amount lower than the other one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah, those'd be the studs. The knife edges on the baseplate of the trem pivot on them. So if they're uneven, that'd explain your problem.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cool deal, I'll fiddle and see if I can fix it, thanks for the help.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ok what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

baka kaba posted:

I hope you mean that in a negative way.

e: nevermind it got way better

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Would I regret a HSS Strat in favor of an SSS strat, assuming I wanted my guitar to sound like a strat? I do really like the strat sound and I want it, and I quite like megadeth/sabbath style sounds and it seems I can't get that from single coils, but if I can only get a bastard version via the bridge humbucker rather than the 'real deal' I'd prefer to know now, rather than later.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know how the stock fender HBs are but if they are 4 conductor wired you can have a coil split installed on the bridge.

Svrdfsk
Mar 1, 2010
I stopped playing a couple of months ago and just recently started playing again. I never really got past the amateur stage where I could play relatively simple songs and scales, mostly because I suck at practicing. Now I want to get good, so i'm wondering what are some key things I should be practicing?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Hey goons, just spent the better part of the evening going through this thread and have gotten a lot of good ideas and links to check out, many thanks.

Now, to the (probably not so) unique e/n part of my post...I first got into guitar 20 years or so ago in college, stuck with it for about a year, and have picked it up for six months or so probably five or so time since. I'd say I'm basically at the really low level of intermediate...I can pretty much play any chord (barre, open, different voicings, etc) and have memorized and slavishly practiced standard scales at various points, but I've got a horrible ear and don't think of myself as much of a natural musician. So basically I end up loving around with tabs, learning some cool intros and chord progressions, and falling into a rut where I just strum some poo poo then do a really boring riff that's some part of a scale in one position and with no real rhythm.

poo poo I'd really like to get better in:
a - playing by ear
b - moving around the fretboard (because this looks really cool)...basically since i know some scales up and down the neck I kind of can do this in a really bland and boring way but I don't know, it just doesn't seem to work for me
c - developing some sense of rhythm despite a paralyzing fear of metronomes
d - in general developing some set of habits that has me push my comfort zone to avoid the ruts that inevitably lead to me getting bored and stopping playing

Things I'm considering:
a - Just picking songs I like and keeping on trying to get to where I can figure them out, and eventually play along...I'm just scared I'll be so terrible at it that I'll quit out of frustration
b - digging through the justin and creative guitar sites for lessons that are applicable to where I'm at
c - buying a guitar pro subscription and playing along with those songs...I've actually got a couple of iPhone apps (tab toolkit and guitar pro that are geared towards this but I'm having trouble finding free tabs that are in the formats they use...also once I realized I could plug into my laptop and rock out there with guitar band I'm finding I like that better than using the phone anyway)
d - forcing myself to practice scales or riffs with a metronome but god I really don't want to do this at all
e - maybe trying to find an instructor in my area (Tampa) but google searching isn't turning up anyone that really gets me excited

Any advice you guys could provide would be very appreciated.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It is good to fear the metronome, fear it. But also love it, accept it. Become subservient to metronome. Metronomes will do a lot to push you further, it's best to get started using them as early as possible. Definitely go through those guitar sites you mentioned, and if you are interested in real person-to-person lessons at all, look harder for someone you think can work for you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

baka kaba posted:

Wow the way he makes bends with the tuners is really cool.

After looking more at some JustinGuitar, I think I've been holding my fretting hand completely wrong since I've started playing. I don't really keep the pad of my thumb on the back of the neck until I switch to certain chords, otherwise my neck is sitting where my thumb meets my hand and my fingers sort of wrap around.

Guess this is bad and I need to start over?

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Rolo posted:

Hendrix would disagree, I think.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I got my yamaha fg700 and I'm pretty happy with it. I was wondering what should one do upon buying a new guitar? I'm going to change the strings, but does it need to be setup? I think I have a free setup with the guitar... How does that work? Do I just say : I want my setup! or am I supposed to ask for some specific things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Lots of people hold it like this. Sometimes you will hold it like that anyways to mute with your thumb. I think the consensus was teachers will almost always teach you to put the thumb pad on the back of the neck as it is "proper". But playing guitar is pretty much an open book for everything.