Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Don't the slits mean it loses more moisture?

Not really, no, as long as you don't overcook it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cool, thanks!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Get a probe thermometer in there if you want to be sure!

telugu murasu
Jan 14, 2008
this is not tamil you pervert
I found a tin of goose fat in a cupboard. How do I use this to make delicious potatoes?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

telugu murasu posted:

I found a tin of goose fat in a cupboard. How do I use this to make delicious potatoes?

Take potato, apply fat, roast.

edit: Since you had to ask, peel them first and (for best results) par-boil them before roasting.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 24, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vlex posted:

Take potato, apply fat, roast.

edit: Since you had to ask, peel them first and (for best results) par-boil them before roasting.

As well as roughing up the outsides a bit by bashing em around in a large bowl. This gets em really extra crispy.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Casu Marzu posted:

As well as roughing up the outsides a bit by bashing em around in a large bowl. This gets em really extra crispy.

Today, mine did this of their own accord. Not the bashing, the fluffing. The variety was Kers Pink, it's quite floury.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I made my pumpkin and chocolate chip cookies with the demara sugar and they turned out very cakelike and awesome. Thank you guys!

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Would it be dangerous to fry pancetta and make up a stuffing mixture tonight with raw eggs, refrigerate, then bake it tomorrow?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

LittleBob posted:

Would it be dangerous to fry pancetta and make up a stuffing mixture tonight with raw eggs, refrigerate, then bake it tomorrow?

It's fine, just make sure to cool it down before mixing it with the eggs/etc.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm making a pasta dish, and supplying a loaf of braided challa bread for our Christmas dinner.
I just want an opinion, of whether all of these ingredients together are okay, or overkill, and to skip one or two.

Pasta type:

(dry) Squid ink spaghetti

Add ons:

Olive oil
Sun dried tomatoes
Capers (brined)
Prosciutto
Parmigiano Reggiano
Anchovies (in E.V.O.O.)

I dunno:

Black Pepper

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 24, 2011

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

I'm making a pasta dish, and supplying a loaf of braided challa bread for our Christmas dinner.
I just want an opinion, of whether all of these ingredients together are okay, or overkill, and to skip one or two.

Pasta type:

(dry) Squid ink spaghetti

Add ons:

Olive oil
Sun dried tomatoes
Capers (brined)
Prosciutto
Parmigiano Reggiano
Anchovies (in E.V.O.O.)

I dunno:

Black Pepper

I'd probably drop the anchovies just because not everyone likes them, and some people hate them vehemently. If you know the crowd would like them, that's fine I guess. Other reason I'd drop the anchovies, though, is that I feel like this whole dish might be a little too salty? The actual flavor of the dish might get a little lost in there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, I was worried about the saltiness too.

My family doesn't mind them, but looking at it, everything else is salt-preserved too (except the tomatoes). Thanks.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 24, 2011

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, I was worried about the saltiness too.

My family doesn't mind them, but looking at it, everything else is salt-preserved too (except the tomatoes). Thanks.

Everything else on that list looks delicious, anchovies is the one controversial bit that people might not like. Just figure that even if the room is okay with them, its still the least appetizing bit to remove to bring the saltiness down.

Time for my own question. I'm short on oven time and have been cycling loaves of bread since 9am. Cheesecake is going to be the last thing in. Recipe (from here) calls for 12m at 500F, followed by 2 hours without opening the door at 200F. If I leave for my afternoon family thing and just set me oven to turn off after the 2 hours and let it sit for 2-3 hours in the off oven will I be okay? Figure I run a slight risk of overcooking it, but could set the timer for like 110 minutes instead of 120 to compensate. Will stop in to throw it in the fridge overnight before going to the evening family thing.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I bought a giant beef brisket. I was thinking about making the famous pulled pork recipe from the slow cooker thread, but using my brisket instead of the pork shoulder. Good idea? Do I need to change anything about that recipe? Does anyone have a better brisket slow cooker recipe they could share?

ohemgee
Jun 24, 2006

drink to bones that turn to dust
is this a good recipe for hot buttered rum?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/drink/views/Hot-Buttered-Rum-233820

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I'm surprised not to see a raw milk thread here. There's so much you can do with it that you can't do with pasteurised milk, like making fresh butter, cream cheese, and whey. Is raw milk an acceptable topic of discussion on this forum?

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
My mother makes homemade polish sausage twice a year and just made a batch only she had to make a substitute of ground marjoram instead of leaf, which seemed to make the sausage a bit blander than normal. My question is if there is a way to get more marjoram flavor into the sausage during the normal boiling preparation - my thought was what if I put marjoram leaves into the boiling water would that help and if so how much? Or are there other ideas I could try?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dry marjoram seems very faint to me compared to other herbs

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Killing Loaf posted:

I'm surprised not to see a raw milk thread here. There's so much you can do with it that you can't do with pasteurised milk, like making fresh butter, cream cheese, and whey. Is raw milk an acceptable topic of discussion on this forum?

Yes!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Killing Loaf posted:

Of course NosmoKing will come by with "food safety" and "scare us" with "facts" and "figures" about how raw milk can very occasionally do horrible things like kill you or destroy your organs or something.

I dunno, there's an element of risk involved with raw milk, but you definitely can do cool stuff with it as you mention. I've considered it but the money required around here to get any is ridiculous so I haven't bothered.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Beef stock guy, I didnt see any tomato paste in your recipe -- usually you should add some tomato paste to your veggies and cook it til its rust colored, and deglaze with some red wine.

Also you may want to blanch your beef bones in a splash of boiling water to remove some of the grossnasties of beef bones.

And you can and should totally let beef stock simmer for 12+ hours. 6 is barely enough for chicken.

/king

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I bought some oxtails to eat tomorrow, can someone point me towards a nice recipe?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've decided to try my hand at hasselback potatoes tomorrow. Aside from garlic and olive oil, and some fresh parmigiano, what herbs should I add? I'm thinking fresh rosemary as there's a bush right outside but does anything else go well/perfectly with them?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Killing Loaf posted:

Make one and we can have a pool about how long it takes for it to become a debate about Ron Paul!

edit: forgot I had a question.

I am making a duck tomorrow and the recipe calls for currant jelly. I don't have any, and I don't know what the flavor profile is really. I have some strawberry preserves, apples, maple syrup, all kinds of spices, apples? I don't think I have raisins... Wait, I think I have some raisin bran.

Should I pick some raisins out of the raisin bran, mash em up and cook em down with water or something?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 25, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Midniter posted:

I've decided to try my hand at hasselback potatoes tomorrow. Aside from garlic and olive oil, and some fresh parmigiano, what herbs should I add? I'm thinking fresh rosemary as there's a bush right outside but does anything else go well/perfectly with them?

I saw a blog post a while back where they made chili oil by heating some dried chilis in neutral oil for a bit along with some garlic and then brushed that on the potato. Looked pretty rad.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Very Strange Things posted:

Make one and we can have a pool about how long it takes for it to become a debate about Ron Paul!

edit: forgot I had a question.

I am making a duck tomorrow and the recipe calls for currant jelly. I don't have any, and I don't know what the flavor profile is really. I have some strawberry preserves, apples, maple syrup, all kinds of spices, apples? I don't think I have raisins... Wait, I think I have some raisin bran.

Should I pick some raisins out of the raisin bran, mash em up and cook em down with water or something?

Apple is probably the best of your choices there. I'll often make a pear and green peppercorn sauce to go with duck, and have occasionally had to add apple to make it stretch further, so I'd be fairly relaxed about it working.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Help. What kind of wine does one use for cooking a leg of lamb or while eating some. I realize vague but that's all I got.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Don't the slits mean it loses more moisture?

Not if it's cut before it cooks. It's when you cut warm protein strands that they release/leak out their precious and delicious juices.

lamb: depends a bit on the other flavors involved, but I'd go with a fairly big red, more on the leather/smoke end of the spectrum than the fruit/berries end. I'm a whore for Zinfandel so I like it with just about everything though.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Help. What kind of wine does one use for cooking a leg of lamb or while eating some. I realize vague but that's all I got.
I'd use an italian white like vermantino for drinkning, and some in a gravy with rosemary, roasted garlic & lemon zest after roasting the lamb.
A lighter red would do well too though, rioja etc.
TBH lamb is pretty forgiving, stay away from super oaky whites or very high tannin reds and you'll be set

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

branedotorg posted:

I'd use an italian white like vermantino for drinkning, and some in a gravy with rosemary, roasted garlic & lemon zest after roasting the lamb.
A lighter red would do well too though, rioja etc.
TBH lamb is pretty forgiving, stay away from super oaky whites or very high tannin reds and you'll be set

I have a Chardonnay and a Pinot Noir and I bought the Noir before you responded. Will I be well enough off or should I try and get some Vermantino?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Welp it's Christmas time. My turn to cook comes on Monday. My wife's family is coming down and I'm cooking for the pile of them.

What I have right now is a monster fresh ham around 17 plus pounds. Do you guys feel it's worth it to brine the thing? Or will it be fine how it is? Will a brine used for less than 24 hours make a dent in such a monster hunk of meat? Also, as I trust the supplier where I got the ham, is it all the way necessary to cook the meat to the suggested 160 degrees? Where's the best sweet spot? There's such a small window with pork between succulent and dry as a bone.

Any suggestions would be great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The company I work for had a bunch of white truffles they couldn't sell that I got for insanely cheap. I put them in pasta and eggs and there are still so many now what

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Welp it's Christmas time. My turn to cook comes on Monday. My wife's family is coming down and I'm cooking for the pile of them.

What I have right now is a monster fresh ham around 17 plus pounds. Do you guys feel it's worth it to brine the thing? Or will it be fine how it is? Will a brine used for less than 24 hours make a dent in such a monster hunk of meat? Also, as I trust the supplier where I got the ham, is it all the way necessary to cook the meat to the suggested 160 degrees? Where's the best sweet spot? There's such a small window with pork between succulent and dry as a bone.

Any suggestions would be great.

It's a ham - it is brined by it's very nature. Unless you mean it's the rear having of a pig, completely uncured, in which case no, don't bother, as pork roast needs no brining.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I want to learn about gin. Could the gin thread be reopened: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386196

If not is it OK for me to start a new one?

thanks

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's a ham - it is brined by it's very nature. Unless you mean it's the rear having of a pig, completely uncured, in which case no, don't bother, as pork roast needs no brining.

Yeah it's uncured. Just a big ole hunk of pig with some lovely skin on the cap. I'll stop overthinking it and cook the bad boy tomorrow.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
It's a holiday emergency: I stuck a meat thermometer in my turkey, and when I tried to pull it out, the tip of the stupid thing broke off, and the liquid leaked out! Is my turkey unsafe to eat? The liquid in the thermometer was red, not silver.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I didn't know any meat thermometers actually used any liquid in them and weren't metal stemmed. Are you sure it was a meat thermometer?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
It was metal-stemmed. The metal part broke off from the glass part, and the redish liquid inside leaked out into the turkey. (It also had the ideal internal temperatures of various meats marked on it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

It's a holiday emergency: I stuck a meat thermometer in my turkey, and when I tried to pull it out, the tip of the stupid thing broke off, and the liquid leaked out! Is my turkey unsafe to eat? The liquid in the thermometer was red, not silver.

It's an alcohol thermometer, but different kinds of alcohol are used for different temperature ranges. I'd err on the side of throwing out the section that it got spilled on.