Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Hmmm, mysterious :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So, what's the current state of music production apps on the IOS? Looking into getting an ipad 2 and the music stuff is the main draw, because I like the idea of putting tracks together on a giant touchscreen. Is memory an issue? Stuff likw FLStudio eats up a fair amount of RAM on the PC, especially if you've got loads of extra synths loaded, so I guess I'm asking how ambitious can you be on something like an Ipad? Any ipad owners in this thread, do you regularly find yourself running into the limitations of the device when trying to produce on an ipad?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I'm quite surprised how well my iPad 1 handles all the music apps so far, so an iPad 2 should run pretty smooth. I guess it depends on what exactly you want to do, but most of the popular music apps should be pretty stable and performant.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I'm not a Mac Evangelist by any stretch of the imagination and I can say honestly that I've only had my iPad 2 slow up because I was doing too much crap once or twice. Of course, in most situations you can also only run a single program at a time, so that is probably why.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I've owned both iPads and unless budget is an issue, get an iPad 2. You'll be glad to have the increased RAM and CPU juice.

That said, few iOS music apps are super RAM hungry. Some people still run into BeatMaker 2 crashing due to memory issues, but most people find NanoStudio to be a better app anyway, and it's never crashed on me in all of the hours I've spent messing with it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

:siren: Aaaaand NanoStudio is finally universal: http://appshopper.com/music/nanostudio

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FLX posted:

:siren: Aaaaand NanoStudio is finally universal: http://appshopper.com/music/nanostudio

The best christmas present.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

LEMUR IS OUT

$50 bucks and out now.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/12/07/jazzmutant-lemur-reborn-as-an-ipad-app-first-look/

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I can't get over how fuckin good NanoStudio is on iPad. All it really needs is time-stretching/pitch-shifting, loop points and multisampled instruments in Eden.

Having time-stretching in Sample Lab is really useful, and the way they implemented it makes it dead simple to get perfectly timed loops. If NS got something like this, I'd never use another music app.

Anyone working with a lot of sampled material should do themselves a favor and get the $9.99 "pro pack" in Hokusai. It's the best WAV editor by far for iOS.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

I can't get over how fuckin good NanoStudio is on iPad. All it really needs is time-stretching/pitch-shifting, loop points and multisampled instruments in Eden.

Having time-stretching in Sample Lab is really useful, and the way they implemented it makes it dead simple to get perfectly timed loops. If NS got something like this, I'd never use another music app.

Anyone working with a lot of sampled material should do themselves a favor and get the $9.99 "pro pack" in Hokusai. It's the best WAV editor by far for iOS.

Seconding that! The Mail App can also send audio files to Hokusai, by the way. I've arranged some loops in studio.HD in the past couple of days and it has been great to get sounds from Apps that don't support AudioCopy, like the DM-1 drum machine.

That's great! Can't wait for some reviews ... and maybe a sale :D

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FLX posted:

I messed around a bit with Beatmaker 1 (and 2) a bit on my phone, and now I have an iPad 2.

I am not a pro at all, and didn't get THAT far with Beatmaker 1 (or 2) but I can't ever seem to NOT buy music making apps.

Is NanoStudio better than Beatmaker 2? I can't help but want it... (And I guess when I say 'better' I mean 'more capable' and perhaps 'more user friendly for a novice'?)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I've got both and the only thing BM2 does better than NS is beat chopping and multisampled instruments. If that's not a big deal for you, just about everything else is better in NS — the workflow, the actual synth, effects, file management, Sonoma AudioCopy/Paste, etc.

The NS user community is also far more helpful/friendly than BM2's, if that matters.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

magiccarpet posted:

LEMUR IS OUT

$50 bucks and out now.

That's sweet. I keep hoping for somebody to drop something like M or Galaxy+ on iOS, with lemur I could just homebrew it. Shitton of work though. :effort:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I just got nano studio, the thing is super intuitive and easy to use. Is there a way to add your own samples? And am I restricted to only using drum kits instead of individual drum samples loaded up pad by pad?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

I just got nano studio, the thing is super intuitive and easy to use. Is there a way to add your own samples? And am I restricted to only using drum kits instead of individual drum samples loaded up pad by pad?

You can bring in your own samples. And you can build your own drum kits. I build my drum kits on the Mac version because I find it easier to import the samples on my desktop, and then transfer the bank with NanoSync.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Ok I just figured out how to use NanoSync to get samples onto my phone. So incredibly easy to do, takes like a minute to set up. God drat this was an awesome purchase. Gonna load this phone up with a ton of vengeance samples.

Edit: Still playing around with it, I can't recommend this app enough. It's the first time I've actually been inspired to use an app to make serious music with, instead of just fiddling around with some knobs and making goofy sounds.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 9, 2011

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I actually found NanStudio to be less intuitive and easy to use than other, similar programs I have used. If you're using a Mac for your normal computer, though, we're probably used to different things. I wouldn't say it's a bad app, though. It seems like it could be used to good effect, especially once I get the update downloaded.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

For all you kids with hardsynths out there... 4 channel step sequencer for iPad to control them all. Way, way cool.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/12/10/phaedra-ipad-4-channel-midi-step-sequencer/

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I can now report on the iRig with some actual experience.

It does what it says and I have had no serious or minor problems with it. I have not attempted to use the built-in headphone jack because I have heard nothing but bad things about it. The sound isn't perfect but it's great for portability and cheap demo recording if you're not able to do that on an actual computer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheNinjaD posted:

I can now report on the iRig with some actual experience.

It does what it says and I have had no serious or minor problems with it. I have not attempted to use the built-in headphone jack ...
So how do you hear what you're playing, or other tracks? Last I messed with it, when the iRig was plugged in the device speakers didn't work, and neither would bluetooth headphones.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So how do you hear what you're playing, or other tracks? Last I messed with it, when the iRig was plugged in the device speakers didn't work, and neither would bluetooth headphones.

...by using the headphone jack on the iRig with headphones or using it as a line-out to some speakers?. The jack on iOS devices can take an input and send output at the same time.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

...by using the headphone jack on the iRig with headphones or using it as a line-out to some speakers?. The jack on iOS devices can take an input and send output at the same time.

The headphone jack which he said he has not used? I think TheNinjaD is just using the iRig as an input device to record himself playing live so he doesn't need to monitor the sound coming out of the iOS device, neatly sidestepping around the feedback issues caused by the in and out lines being in such close proximity.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just picked up the Apogee Jam based on recommendations in this thread, and its pretty awesome, thanks goons! So far I've been using it with Guitar Prodigy as the "amp" to play it on my iPhone. I was thinking of picking up TabToolkit, does it also have some kind of built-in amp so that I'll be able to hear the guitar with just this app running, or would I have to have something else going in the background?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah there's no amp sim in tabtoolkit, it just shows tabs. Buy garageband for $5 and use the amp sims in it, then switch apps to tabtoolkit and strum away.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

RandomCheese posted:

The headphone jack which he said he has not used? I think TheNinjaD is just using the iRig as an input device to record himself playing live so he doesn't need to monitor the sound coming out of the iOS device, neatly sidestepping around the feedback issues caused by the in and out lines being in such close proximity.
Exactly this. You can still set up to monitor what you're playing, using a few cheap cables that you can even buy at you local Walmart.

When recording the guitar, we just played the background beat on my computer in a loop while recording on the iPad.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Guitar Pro just went to 99 cents.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Animoog for iPhone is out, introductory pricing of 99¢. Requires iPhone 4 or 4S, or iPod touch 4th gen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haunted sleep posted:

Animoog for iPhone is out, introductory pricing of 99¢. Requires iPhone 4 or 4S, or iPod touch 4th gen.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. :fap:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Another price drop, TabToolkit just went to $4.99

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Grain Science is now available. It's a granular synthesizer from Wooji Juice, the guys who made Hokusai. I played with it for a bit just now and it's pretty awesome. You can get some weird, spooky noises out of this thing. Definitely worth the $9.99 price tag.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finally got an iPad (months ago) and finally got around to wanting to record music on it. I've been over this thread several times and picked up a few things.

But this thread is more focused on electronic music, less on live instruments and vocals (but that didn't stop me from digging on iMaschine, Nanostudio etc).

Has anybody checked out Music Studio? It looks great, $14.99 and appears to be perfect for audio recording as well as programming the music.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/music-studio/id328608539?amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bmt=8&mt=8

Thoughts?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Garage Band might also have what you want.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Music Studio doesn't seem like a bad app, it's just that NanoStudio has a great workflow and feature set, while looking nicer than Music Studio.

There's also Meteor, Multitrack DAW and StudioTrack to look at.

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Animoog by itself is fun. Today I discovered that Animoog with an external midi keyboard is far, far better. You can wire the pitch bend, modulation wheel and velocity into any of fifteen different parameters in the sound setup, from filter frequency to LFO or path rate. Now if I can just stop making weird noises long enough to write some music.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haunted sleep posted:

Music Studio doesn't seem like a bad app, it's just that NanoStudio has a great workflow and feature set, while looking nicer than Music Studio.

There's also Meteor, Multitrack DAW and StudioTrack to look at.
I think Music Studio became FruityLoops anyway (but left the original app), which makes things a little confusing.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I think Music Studio became FruityLoops anyway (but left the original app), which makes things a little confusing.

As far as I know, the guy who made Music Studio was contracted to make FL Studio Mobile, and he basically took Music Studio's code, made the features and UI more FL-like, and that was that.

NanoStudio is by no means perfect but it makes every other iOS sequencer feel like a toy by comparison.

I'd have a more favorable opinion of BeatMaker 2 if it was more stable, had better effects and didn't come saddled with 400MB of absolutely mediocre samples.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

haunted sleep posted:

As far as I know, the guy who made Music Studio was contracted to make FL Studio Mobile, and he basically took Music Studio's code, made the features and UI more FL-like, and that was that.
Typically this happens because the contracting company is paying for a white label of existing software and not because the original developer is lazy or whatever. There was almost certainly a group at Fruity Loops who decided the direction of this project and for whatever reason-- money, probably-- that white labelling Music Studio was the way to go.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

If any of you guys are on the fence about Grain Science, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_q4lTzFbs

Well worth the $9.99. I'm liking this far more than Sunrizer.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 30, 2011

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I don't see any video, but maybe it's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

jakewastaken posted:

I don't see any video, but maybe it's just me.

Sorry about that, either the forums' embedding is hosed, or I didn't do it right. Edited the post to just link to the YouTube page.

• Locked thread