Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I've only really played From the New World, but it felt like it was trying to hard and I hated how just about everything was a minigame or a gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Frank is amazing and don't you forget it.:colbert:

Anyways, it'd take a great amount of research for a Persona game to take place in America and honestly? I don't think that's their cup of tea. I'm curious as to where the series will go and look forward to Persona 5, but I am confident that they will create a solid setting for the game regardless of where it's actually located. Whatever mythology theme is cool in my book too, since the SMT series and spin-offs really like to expand on them in a unique way.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm current running a Persona RPG over instant messanger with some friends that's set in an American charter school and the main characters all have Personae based on native american mythology, so there's ground to be covered there in a proper game. I appreciate that Atlus has the professional integrity to not set a game here unless they knew they could do the setting justice, but part of me wants to see what it would be like if they just did it anyway and instead of having the game being an honest take on American culture it was a skewed vision of America through Japanese eyes where everyone carries a gun and black people are literal superheroes.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TurnipFritter posted:

I've only really played From the New World, but it felt like it was trying to hard and I hated how just about everything was a minigame or a gimmick.

Well the game's battle system is based off a glorified golf swing meter, but in From the New World the gameplay is basically perfect. In fact, I don't think I've played an RPG with as amazing gameplay as FTNW.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first Shadow Hearts handled it's setting pretty well though. Good use of both the time frame and setting. Plus like a fourth of the game took place in China?

Haven't played the second and the third was pretty much intentionally ridiculous.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

I absolutely adored the original Shadow Hearts (it's one of, if not my favorite game to this day), and was very disappointed in SH2 (though it did net me a copy of the original of my own, which is great.) As a result, I never played anything beyond the second.

I had the same experience. I loved Shadow Hearts, and played about halfway through SH2, and went away somewhat disappointed. It seems like the series progressed From Koudelka -> SH1 -> SH2, it got less serious, and more into wacky humor. I think if I'd played the series now, I better know how to approach it, but SH2 was disappointing at the time because SH1 was a a blend of serious and wacky, while SH2 had a major plot points somewhat like "ride Roger Bacon's fission jet across the world to escape from the Russian revolution with Princess Anastasia."

I accidentally read spoilers for the events of the True Ending of Shadow Hearts 2 and :stare:, I highly recommend looking it up if you don't know it, because it's one of the biggest mindfucks in gaming.

EDIT: But count me in as one of those that thinks that Koudelka was a masterful handling of a Western setting and plot, and Shadow Hearts 1 was an excellent balance and blend of both Eastern and Western.

Oh wait, was this not the Shadow Hearts thread? Well, I started playing Persona 2 Innocent Sin last night, and I'm really loving the 90's slang speak that's been put into the English script! Also, the game is very different than I expected...most of the description makes it seem pretty dark, but the game has started off more lighthearted and anime than I expected. I'm going to guess that means it'll start off lighthearted with an underlying darkness that will come to a head later.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Alteisen posted:

Also only one game was set in the west, that being Shadow Hearts From the new world(the 3rd one), the first 2 where set in the UK, Russia and around Japan and had characters from those countries as well as references to them, Shadow Hearts 2 in particular is very Russia centric down to one of your antagonists and one of your party members.

Ah, "The West" refers to pretty much everything west of, say, Poland. Not just the US, but also the UK, France, and Italy, which make up probably half of the European locales in the Shadow Hearts series.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Strange Matter posted:

I'm current running a Persona RPG over instant messanger with some friends that's set in an American charter school and the main characters all have Personae based on native american mythology, so there's ground to be covered there in a proper game. I appreciate that Atlus has the professional integrity to not set a game here unless they knew they could do the setting justice, but part of me wants to see what it would be like if they just did it anyway and instead of having the game being an honest take on American culture it was a skewed vision of America through Japanese eyes where everyone carries a gun and black people are literal superheroes.

Hopefully their take on American culture would be a little more aware than the use of Native American culture in Soul Hackers, in which the game's demonic compendium is largely derived from Native American myths yet the only Native American character is literally named "Redman".

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well the game's battle system is based off a glorified golf swing meter, but in From the New World the gameplay is basically perfect. In fact, I don't think I've played an RPG with as amazing gameplay as FTNW.

Yeah, FTNW's gameplay is pretty good. It could probably be in the running for greatest RPG ever if the characters weren't awful. SH1 has the best story of the bunch and SH2 is probably the best of the bunch because of how it's a good medium between the story of SH1 and the gameplay of SH3.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So I finally got around to beating Strange Journey, and I have to say, gently caress that final boss. Half my party (MC and one of my demons) deal the vast majority of their damage using gun spells, and there wasn't a single loving turn (despite the boss's supposed resistance swapping every turn) that I actually got to use a gun skill, since the boss never swapped out of her resistance sets that reflect gun. I think the vast majority of the damage I dealt was based in my Huang Long casting Megidolaon every turn. :argh:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I lost interest in beating the final boss the legit way and just found a bunch of high level codes and used those. Honestly if you can get to the end of a game with no problems and then the last boss destroys you and you have to grind a ton it's pretty lame.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Radish posted:

I lost interest in beating the final boss the legit way and just found a bunch of high level codes and used those. Honestly if you can get to the end of a game with no problems and then the last boss destroys you and you have to grind a ton it's pretty lame.

Yeah, I think I wound up grinding something like 15-20 levels between reaching the boss and killing her and I still had a fair bit of trouble even discounting the resistance bullshit (which isn't to say I intentionally ground that hard, part of it just happened between me deciding to grind up a few levels, then doing the entire game's worth of side quests and doing a little last-minute grinding for demon sources and cash to Mitama fuse.)

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The real gimmick to that boss is the dumbest thing possible and I hate it. In both forms, most of its attacks are hit-all and elemental. If your demons all reflect the four main elements it will kill itself in spectacularly short order. :sigh:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

UselessLurker posted:

The real gimmick to that boss is the dumbest thing possible and I hate it. In both forms, most of its attacks are hit-all and elemental. If your demons all reflect the four main elements it will kill itself in spectacularly short order. :sigh:

Even better: Reflect is completely broken in SJ and is based on the difference between levels between the attacker and defender. So it's possible to just use a super low level demon with some reflect skills and kill the final boss in 1 hit. :I

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That boss can also one shot your MC if it feels like it, no warning and there's no way to defend against it just, WELP GAME OVER, HAHAHA.

Typical "challenge" from Atlus games.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well, Strange Journey is just filled with awful bosses, bad balance, and bad game mechanics in general. So a retarded final boss was pretty much just par for the course.

It's been nothing but downhill since Nocturne. :/

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Both Shadow Hearts and Koudelka were pretty cool rpgs. The series is now dead and buried though.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Honest Thief posted:

Both Shadow Hearts and Koudelka were pretty cool rpgs. The series is now dead and buried though.

After Persona 2 there wasn't another game in the series for eight years. Who knows, maybe in half a decade they'll make Shadow Hearts 4, and then immediately churn out a near-identical game a year or two later.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Justice posted:

After Persona 2 there wasn't another game in the series for eight years. Who knows, maybe in half a decade they'll make Shadow Hearts 4, and then immediately churn out a near-identical game a year or two later.

That depends if another dev wants to handle it, because the original developers for the Shadow Hearts series went out of business.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Black Stones posted:

That depends if another dev wants to handle it, because the original developers for the Shadow Hearts series went out of business.

Which is a shame as Nautilus was made up from all the people that left Square before it went to poo poo, not enough androgynous pretty boys in their games are guess, the humor was probably a no-no to.

"A protagonist that's perfectly content with his life? THIS WILL NOT STAND"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Alteisen posted:

Which is a shame as Nautilus was made up from all the people that left Square before it went to poo poo, not enough androgynous pretty boys in their games are guess, the humor was probably a no-no to.

"A protagonist that's perfectly content with his life? THIS WILL NOT STAND"

Apparently a bunch of employees went on to form FeelPlus which went on to make Lost Odyssey, which you could somewhat tell by the ring system battle system it had, but they really didn't make anything good afterwards.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Black Stones posted:

Apparently a bunch of employees went on to form FeelPlus which went on to make Lost Odyssey, which you could somewhat tell by the ring system battle system it had, but they really didn't make anything good afterwards.

That explains why I loved that game so much.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The Black Stones posted:

Here's hoping it gets a reboot in the future, but I'm not really waiting with bated breath. I feel like FTNW was the best time to end it, since it perfected the gameplay and there wasn't a ton more you could do with it.

Perhaps someone else will come along with a modern RPG series of the same depth and scope of that one. Persona is close, but doesn't quite hit the mark.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Turns out I have the first two Shadow Hearts games. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! (Still gotta find the last one.)

Also, anyone looking towards Devil Survivor 2? I'm not too crazy about the characters (seriously :wtc:) but as long they got the same gameplay, I'm good.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Even better: Reflect is completely broken in SJ and is based on the difference between levels between the attacker and defender. So it's possible to just use a super low level demon with some reflect skills and kill the final boss in 1 hit. :I

Wow, I'm pretty sure that's some legacy code from Etrian Odyssey showing through. You could pull a similar trick on the ultimate boss from the second game by using low-level Landsknechts with the Counter skill to do five-digit damage.

Alteisen posted:

That boss can also one shot your MC if it feels like it, no warning and there's no way to defend against it just, WELP GAME OVER, HAHAHA.

Typical "challenge" from Atlus games.

That's actually the other end boss that can do that (and its success rate is low enough that it almost certainly won't happen more than once, so just have an auto-revival item equipped like you should anyway.) The normal end boss just uses regular Curse and Expel attacks.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

RadicalR posted:

Also, anyone looking towards Devil Survivor 2? I'm not too crazy about the characters (seriously :wtc:) but as long they got the same gameplay, I'm good.

I've had it ore-ordered ever since I could. I'm also a crazy guy that doesn't mind the character designs. They're not great by any means, but I don't have any big issue with them either.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Thuryl posted:

Wow, I'm pretty sure that's some legacy code from Etrian Odyssey showing through. You could pull a similar trick on the ultimate boss from the second game by using low-level Landsknechts with the Counter skill to do five-digit damage.

That's actually the other end boss that can do that (and its success rate is low enough that it almost certainly won't happen more than once, so just have an auto-revival item equipped like you should anyway.) The normal end boss just uses regular Curse and Expel attacks.

I figured he was referring to that physical(?) attack that hits like 8 times and is random. As random attacks go, occasionally they decide to hit one character every time. Doesn't happen often, thankfully (I only got hosed by that when I first reached her, when I was honestly not prepared to fight her anyways.)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

King of Solomon posted:

So I finally got around to beating Strange Journey, and I have to say, gently caress that final boss. Half my party (MC and one of my demons) deal the vast majority of their damage using gun spells, and there wasn't a single loving turn (despite the boss's supposed resistance swapping every turn) that I actually got to use a gun skill, since the boss never swapped out of her resistance sets that reflect gun. I think the vast majority of the damage I dealt was based in my Huang Long casting Megidolaon every turn. :argh:

Strange Journey took quite a nose-dive for me in the final dungeon (neutral route) simply because of the last couple of bosses. Jimenez was doing 1000+ damage pretty frequently, plus had some almighty attack that wiped everybody. The MC was essentially useless outside of cowering in a defensive stance and chucking healing items out. I pretty much had to luck out by bringing my Doppleganger out of the woodwork and hoping Jimenez lost a brain cell and kept using his ultra powerful physical move on the physical-reflecting Doppleganger. With the final boss, I just caved in and used codes to get a really awesome Alice and Rangda. At that point, there was absolutely no way I was going to grind anymore.

Given how the MC was pretty terrible in my experience in SJ, I felt that unlike Persona 3 and 4 (where the MC is essentially carrying the team), the entire "leader death = Game Over" really doesn't help things.

On an unrelated note, I am in the mood to replay through the Digital Devil Saga games. For some reason, I just liked both of them more than Nocturne (and maybe even P3 and P4).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MechaX posted:

Strange Journey took quite a nose-dive for me in the final dungeon (neutral route) simply because of the last couple of bosses. Jimenez was doing 1000+ damage pretty frequently, plus had some almighty attack that wiped everybody. The MC was essentially useless outside of cowering in a defensive stance and chucking healing items out. I pretty much had to luck out by bringing my Doppleganger out of the woodwork and hoping Jimenez lost a brain cell and kept using his ultra powerful physical move on the physical-reflecting Doppleganger. With the final boss, I just caved in and used codes to get a really awesome Alice and Rangda. At that point, there was absolutely no way I was going to grind anymore.

...Huh. When I fought Jimenez, he just spammed his buff spell. He attacked maybe once the whole fight, and it did hurt, just not all that much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Famitsu has a Persona 4: The Golden update! (Link in English)
    "Simultaneous Attack" allows you to command two characters to act at the same time in battle.
    New story events include a trip to an Inn and a Ski Lodge!
    Characters have all new outfits that can be changed into, apparently are only seen in combat.
    New Wi-Fi/3G feature "Everyone's Voice" which allows you to see what other players did on the day you're currently playing.

vvv Yeah it's the magazine

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 27, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
They're getting this information from the magazine, not the site, right? I can't find it anywhere on the fami P4 page.

I'm not sure the 'Simultaneous Attack' is actually you commanding two characters in one turn, it's much more likely that it's two characters attacking one enemy at the same time for a kind of Critical Attack. It's a mechanic that was added to Persona 3 Portable, it tended to happen when an enemy was knocked down or shocked or low on health.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Famitsu leaked today and the Persona 4 The Golden content is here and accounted for. Sadly, the jerks who photographed the issue uploaded their content to Pic.to, a Japanese mobile exclusive photo viewing site. So thanks to the magic of me begrudgingly digging out my iPod Touch and saving them and emailing them to myself, here you are!

So here's some expanded stuff:
  • The Ski Lodge event takes place in January, during that December to April time skip I've been told about?
  • That weird 3G/Wi-Fi feature where you can request aid from other players in real time is still around
  • Simultaneous Attacks are where two characters attack as one under 'certain conditions', so Justice was right about that
  • A lot of additional costumes like fur/pea coats, anime cosplay outfits, and martial artist gi
  • New difficulty modes: Safety, Easy, Normal, Hard, and Risky.
  • I might be reading this wrong, but if you get a game over you can ask to Retry. Retry reinserts you back into the game at the entry point of the floor you died on, apparently with stats intact? Works on every difficulty but Risky?
  • "Everyone's Voice" can be activated while navigating the world by tapping the blue cloud, will tell you what other PSN users did on that day. Can help you find neat, secret things!
  • New Persona evolutions: Yosuke and Chie both confirmed to have new advanced evolution

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Takehaya Susanoo amd Haraedo no Ookami? Why make new evolutions for some characters but not others? Unless they made them for all battle characters and have only released those two so far.

The Simultaneous Attack is physical but not elemental, meaning it hits enemies penetrating resistances (or more like it can't be used on enemies who reflect/null Physical to begin with, I think). I played Persona 3 Portable for a couple hundred hours (adding time from both languages together) and only saw Simultaneous Attack three times, so hopefully they make it happen a lot more often in the P4 remake. One time I remember clearly, I had knocked out all enemies except one with an effective elemental attack, and Aigis ran up with the protagonist and executed the finisher together. I have no idea what the exact flags for it are though.

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited
So is there any word yet on who that new girl is supposed to be? Is she a new party member or what?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I finally started Persona 4, and maaaaaan I am not prepared for the Contrarian King at all. Am I supposed to come back to that way later, or just figure out a better strategy to beat it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Justice posted:

Takehaya Susanoo amd Haraedo no Ookami? Why make new evolutions for some characters but not others? Unless they made them for all battle characters and have only released those two so far.

I think that all the battle characters will have a new Persona evolution but Atlus is just portioning out how many of them they're revealing. With the game sitting in a murky "Spring 2012" release date, Atlus probably doesn't want to reveal everything about the game all at once so they can keep the game in the public eye with weekly/timely updates.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Justice posted:

The Simultaneous Attack is physical but not elemental, meaning it hits enemies penetrating resistances (or more like it can't be used on enemies who reflect/null Physical to begin with, I think). I played Persona 3 Portable for a couple hundred hours (adding time from both languages together) and only saw Simultaneous Attack three times, so hopefully they make it happen a lot more often in the P4 remake. One time I remember clearly, I had knocked out all enemies except one with an effective elemental attack, and Aigis ran up with the protagonist and executed the finisher together. I have no idea what the exact flags for it are though.

Only 3 times? When I played P3P, I got simultaneous attacks dozens of times. They were a pretty regular occurrence.

Strange Matter posted:

I finally started Persona 4, and maaaaaan I am not prepared for the Contrarian King at all. Am I supposed to come back to that way later, or just figure out a better strategy to beat it?

Yeah, come back later. It's possible to beat the king at that point, but it's not worth the time and effort until you've done some of the next dungeon already. Contrarian King will END you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Strange Matter posted:

You can do it later. It's not story-related so feel free to come back to it at a higher level.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Nessa posted:

Only 3 times? When I played P3P, I got simultaneous attacks dozens of times. They were a pretty regular occurrence.

Do you happen to remember anything the instances had in common? I hadn't seen it reported in any previews and I could never find anything about it on the japanese wiki either, so when I first saw it I was really surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It just happens when you knock an enemy down, it's the same as the special attacks the characters had in Persona 4 like Chie kicking enemies into the sky, only it just does critical damage.