Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also, the army showing up is basically instant death with their M16s.

Unfortunately due to the camera and gunplay in this port, so is anyone showing up with a shotgun...

I just did the Pump-Action Pimp mission by running him down with a car. Shame that's not going to work on later missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Too bad Rockstar didn't test this with ICS and it doesn't work on the GNex, the flagship android device at the moment.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm replaying GTA4 and it's much, much better than I (and most people) remember. The car handling isn't bad, the cars that handle like poo poo are supposed to, stuff like the Comet and Coquette are nice and sporty. There is plenty to do, Brucie and Stevie's car thefts, the races, Jacob's delivery missions and the police computer have kept me entertained.

I know what everyone mentions first is 'HAY CAHZIN, LETS GO BOWLING!' but I've been rang once by Roman and once by Jacob and I'm onto the second island, even when rarely using sleep mode.

The missions aren't boring me yet and the combat is much better than the PS2 games, though not as fun as Saints Row.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Yeah I've been playing Saints Row the Third and I actually prefer the car handling in GTAIV. However, Saints' character movement is much more fluid wheras Niko feels pretty clunky and sluggish at times, also SR appears to generally keeps up a higher framerate, but I'd expect V to have tweaked its engine a bit....

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm going to have to take back not minding being asked to bowl/play pool/look at titties. After 30 hours it's tedious as gently caress and I've started just saying no (apart from drinking because that's awesome), which is a shame because I do actually enjoy listening to the characters talk about how things are going. I think a better approach would be to have the characters want to do something fun to play and not have to maintain it until the end of time. For example, Jacob could have ridden shotgun with you on the drug deliveries and Brucie on the races. You get to interact with the characters and get a decent mission out of it and when you've done them all, you get a reward, 100% friendship which won't drop and the option to call them up again is you really enjoyed it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So they announce GTAV and then...nothing. What the gently caress.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Rockstar are cock-teases.

I image we'll get another trailer after Max Payne 3 ships?....

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm surprised they haven't done a full reveal in Game Informer at this point.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I was replaying GTA 4 this past week and in the car with Packie "1979" came on the radio and he said "Play this at my funeral Niko, I dont care what ma says". I dont remember them ever reacting to the radio and thought that was neat

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

the_american_dream posted:

I was replaying GTA 4 this past week and in the car with Packie "1979" came on the radio and he said "Play this at my funeral Niko, I dont care what ma says". I dont remember them ever reacting to the radio and thought that was neat

Yeah, I think every character you can ride with has a "favorite song" that they'll comment on if it plays while you're riding with them.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
drat didnt know that. I know people made a huge deal about Saints Row characters commenting and singing along, I figured GTA had nothing like that

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

drat didnt know that. I know people made a huge deal about Saints Row characters commenting and singing along, I figured GTA had nothing like that

I remember back in San Andreas I was loving around and went AFC (away from controller) and when I came back CJ was rapping some lines from Nuttin but a G Thang.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I use GTA4 as a benchmarking tool, since no matter how beastly your computer is, it's still gonna run GTA4 like poo poo. :v:

I do like the car handling and damage modeling of GTA4 and hope they will keep it in GTAV. Maybe tighten up the controls though, the best word to describe GTA4 is "sluggish."

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 25, 2011

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

I use GTA4 as a benchmarking tool, since no matter how beastly your computer is, it's still gonna run GTA4 like poo poo. :v:

Everything on full except shadows on high (it looks no different. at all.) and detail distance on 90 to keep it from using all my vRAM and I rarely drop below 40FPS, never below 30 and it usually hovers around 60 :smug:

i5 2500k@4GHz, HD5870 and 8GB DDR3 if you were wondering, which of course you weren't.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Starhawk64 posted:

Maybe tighten up the controls though, the best word to describe GTA4 is "sluggish."

They need to tighten up the graphics on level three.

Also it's christmas, and what I really want are some high res screenshots of GTAV.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Himuro posted:

So they announce GTAV and then...nothing. What the gently caress.

Was new info about the game supposed to be coming out today or something?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I know people made a huge deal about Saints Row characters commenting and singing along,

That was the single worst moment of saints row three. I hate sublime.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GAY RETARD posted:

But if your character had the zombie voice, it was loving phenomenal listening to a version of What I've Got done entirely in groans and screams.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GAY RETARD posted:

That isn't the thing people made a big deal about that he was talking about. In Saints Row 2 if you listened to a song enough times, your character would sing along with it whenever it came on. I hadn't heard about it before I played the game, so the first time my girl started singing along with Tears For Fears was amazing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Corzaa posted:

I remember back in San Andreas I was loving around and went AFC (away from controller) and when I came back CJ was rapping some lines from Nuttin but a G Thang.

Once he started singing along to Rod Stewart and then caught himself and stopped and said "aww what the hell?! "

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Corzaa posted:

Didn't he do this even if you weren't listening to it on the in-game radio? Because I barely ever listened to the hip-hop station back when I used to play San Andreas, and I'm pretty sure he would sing a line or two from it if you were away from the controller, no matter where you were.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can someone tell me the download size of GTA3 on the Android Market?

I know it's like a 18mb initial download, how much is after?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

err posted:

On iOS, it's ~500mb. Not sure if it's the same amount on Android, but I'm not sure why it would be different.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't he do this even if you weren't listening to it on the in-game radio? Because I barely ever listened to the hip-hop station back when I used to play San Andreas, and I'm pretty sure he would sing a line or two from it if you were away from the controller, no matter where you were.

Is that the "move your body move your body" one? Because yeah, that was one of his idle animations.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

err posted:

Its 430 MB total

bort
Mar 13, 2003

"Warm it up, Chris! Warm it up, CJ!"

edit: nothing!

bort fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 26, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

err posted:

586mb. If you have the multi touch bug, lock the screen then unlock it. Also, make sure you are on wifi when you first run it. It downloads lots of stuff.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 25, 2011

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I posted about this earlier in the thread, but now it's taken much more of a playable shape.

First you can hit up the website here http://gtaivsa.com/

Or just watch the video of someone loving around in it with the most recent BETA here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pws91Dyuo

If they release a version of the game that actually lets you play through the story as well (gently caress it I'll settle for low res cutscenes) then I'll be all over it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone else notice that all the rare cars show up a lot in the area around the start of GTAIII in the phone version? I've already delivered the bus, trashmaster and the flatbed to the garage. All I need is a Mr. Whoopee and all the hard to find cars are taken care of.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The GTA franchise is on sale on Steam today, so I got nostalgic and nabbed GTA3 PC. I would appreciate, are there any good mods to be suggested for it? Particularly ones that would improve its looks on a modern, widescreen computer?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I just bought the entire Steam collection. And I'm not even sure any of my computers can run the games (Maybe my stationary can run the GTA3 era games...)

But they are nice to have, even if I have the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions already:unsmith:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

My recommendation, having 100%ed the PC version in 2011, is to install the MotionInJoy driver and to use a PS3 controller. This link has instructions on button setup.

The Steam version upconverts to high resolution, but you have to make sure you do that before you start a game. Any mod that reskinned it would screw it up for me. That would be like reskinning my hometown.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
That GTA IV: San Andreas, would it still be possible to mod the cars stats? I always halfed the accel of the slow cars, and doubled the accel of the fast cars, and removed the 120mph limiter cos that poo poo sucked.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure I would never play those GTA games again, but that deal is so ridiculous I'm thinking about getting it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
edit: misread

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
GTAIV SA just goes to show how terrible the GTAIII era's worlds were. III era games seem to work well, and IV era games seem to work well, but when you combine their worst aspects together, you get hilarity. Mostly the boat physics of IV era cars and the terrible world geometry of III era games. Basically you have hard edges all over the place, you try to drive around a corner and the car literally bounces off the road. It's pretty fun to try to drive the cars. By far the best is the monster truck because of its giant suspension and it uses IV suspension values so the wheels stay on the ground by the body is sideways half the time. If you take off hard enough, it starts doing a wheelie, but not really because the suspension is so mushy that the front wheels stay on the ground.

The cars don't seem to accelerate that fast though. They are all really slow, and I can't get into the GT, whatever that cars GTA name is. I got in once, but never again. CJ Niko just runs into the car until I pick a different one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Would you mean the Sabre GT?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No, whatever one looks like a Ford GT.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

No, whatever one looks like a Ford GT.

I think that's the Bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone else notice that all the rare cars show up a lot in the area around the start of GTAIII in the phone version? I've already delivered the bus, trashmaster and the flatbed to the garage. All I need is a Mr. Whoopee and all the hard to find cars are taken care of.
Did you happen to be doing a side mission? I know the game tends to spawn the rare cars while you're in a Taxi/Ambulance or they'll be the car that's on fire in the Firefighter missions. Nevermind, just had a Mr Whoopie spawn out of nowhere (by the train station in St. Marks)

bort fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 2, 2012

• Locked thread