Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Is there a way to turn off the notification LED for, say, Gmail during specific hours? More than a couple times I've woken up to a bright green light and been unable to fall asleep until I clear the notification. Droid X CM7. I looked through CM7's LED settings and couldn't find anything useful.

I suppose I could use Tasker to turn off auto-sync but I'd like a more specific solution if there's one out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sunblood posted:

Is there a way to turn off the notification LED for, say, Gmail during specific hours? More than a couple times I've woken up to a bright green light and been unable to fall asleep until I clear the notification. Droid X CM7. I looked through CM7's LED settings and couldn't find anything useful.

I suppose I could use Tasker to turn off auto-sync but I'd like a more specific solution if there's one out there.

Look for Quiet Hours somewhere in CM settings. I forget where it's at though and don't have CM handy to verify. Interface maybe?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
CM Settings > Sound > Quiet Hours
there is a dim led..

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Video or audio? For audio, PowerAMP is popular, although apparently the interface is worse than AIDS or something? For video, MoboPlayer seems popular.

PowerAMP used to have the ugliest interface. Since the 2.0 update, it's definitely the best looking music player (UberMusic is pretty nice looking, too). It's also the only player on the market with both equalizer and crossfade support as far as I know.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, GetJar is having a big holiday sale (that I haven't seen mentioned). It's 95% games, but there are some good ones. A handful of things worth picking up, especially for free.

http://mktg.getjar.com/getjargoldcatalogue.html

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

XIII posted:

So, GetJar is having a big holiday sale (that I haven't seen mentioned). It's 95% games, but there are some good ones. A handful of things worth picking up, especially for free.

Thanks. I picked up a few.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sunblood posted:

I ended up just flipping my phone upside down. Maybe its better now but quiet hours never worked quite right for my dx.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Question for anyone who might know, is either DroidTropes ever getting updated so that searching works right, or is there a decent alternative? poo poo is like crack, but I hate looking at it through the browser because I either have to make all spoilers visible by default, or I have to mess with the selection box constantly, which is :effort:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Are there any apps out there where I can lock the orientation on my phone for widescreen? I am making a video of me boiling my poop in some pee and all I have is the orientation lock feature on CM7 and I don't want my video to be in portrait mode. Thanks.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does the Android Market have regional pricing? I think Flick Golf is $0.99 but it says $1.08 to me.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

gmq posted:

Does the Android Market have regional pricing? I think Flick Golf is $0.99 but it says $1.08 to me.

Sounds like exchange rate. Or tax. Or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Sounds like exchange rate. Or tax. Or something.

Yeah, the Market adjusts for exchange rate, according to where the app maker lives.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm trying to get some control over the LED notification light on my Galaxy Nexus. I tried light flow but it doesn't seem to be working, any suggestions?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Codiusprime posted:

I'm trying to get some control over the LED notification light on my Galaxy Nexus. I tried light flow but it doesn't seem to be working, any suggestions?

Are you saying it's not working because it doesn't light up when you do "Test Notification"? If so, try it again only this time put the screen to sleep immediately after you do the test. It takes a second or two for the app to straighten itself out and do whatever sound, vibration, and light you chose.

If that's not it, then I don't know what to tell you. It works like a champ on mine. I actually ended up buying the full app.

telperion
Oct 17, 2011
Looking for recommendations for a good, lightweight notes app. My main requirements are:
1. Ability to write simple notes and make checklists (like task lists)
2. Must be accessible on both PC and android device (autosyncing)

Thanks in advance.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I used Light Flow on my EVO 4G and it worked great, but it seems to be lacking on my Epic 4G Touch (SGS2). I can set the color (red or blue, dammit Samsung), but the option to change whether it flashes or stays solid is greyed out so I only get solid light. There's really no reason for me to use it if all I can do is set which of two colors my apps use.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

telperion posted:

Looking for recommendations for a good, lightweight notes app. My main requirements are:
1. Ability to write simple notes and make checklists (like task lists)
2. Must be accessible on both PC and android device (autosyncing)

Thanks in advance.

You can give any.do a shot. It's a checklist app that can sync to google tasks

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Are there any good news feed widgets out there? Preferably ones that can be skinned

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ManMythLegend posted:

Are you saying it's not working because it doesn't light up when you do "Test Notification"? If so, try it again only this time put the screen to sleep immediately after you do the test. It takes a second or two for the app to straighten itself out and do whatever sound, vibration, and light you chose.

If that's not it, then I don't know what to tell you. It works like a champ on mine. I actually ended up buying the full app.

Yea, not really sure what happened the first time as it's working great now.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

gmq posted:

Well sort of. The Android market supports setting different prices in different currencies. It however defaults to using the author's local currency and using exchange rates. There are also taxes etc which vary by country that it may also charge (ie VAT).

For more information, I refer you to the developer references.

https://support.google.com/androidmarket/developer/bin/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1169947

https://support.google.com/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138412&topic=15867&ctx=topic

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Thornes posted:

You can give any.do a shot. It's a checklist app that can sync to google tasks
Any.Do doesn't work with your keyboard's word suggestions, it uses its own. This made me stop using the app, personally. I suppose the suggestions aren't bad, but they're all English. Also, that's kind of what I bought Swiftkey for.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Hopefully there's an easy explanation to this question:

My goal is to set my alarm to play a random mp3 that I have on my phone. I generally use Alarm Clock Xtreme, and the option to do what I want is in there with the ability to set the alarm tone as a random song from a playlist. But when I made a playlist with all my music in it, and set the alarm clock app to play a random song from that playlist, it defaults to some generic alarm tone.

I messed around with it a bit more, and it can definitely play a random song from a particular artist, but I really want it to pull from my entire music collection, so I'm surprised each morning.

Thinking it was a problem with the App, I downloaded a different alarm clock app--Alarm Clock Plus--and tried again, but the same thing seems to happen. First it just did a generic alarm tone, then it wouldn't test right at all.

Anyway, can anybody help me out? Like, if you have either of those apps, can you try getting it to play a random song from a playlist?

I have a Samsung Droid Charge, if it matters.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

XIII posted:

Everything on this site is incredibly slow and a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. I've heard of getjar, but never used them. Are they going to gently caress me over somehow when I DL this stuff?

Edit: ohhh, another appstore. No thanks.

Jewce fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 25, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some of the games were worth getting for free. Too bad a lot of them I had already purchased months ago. Splashtop looked interesting and I grabbed that. Is that the thing that was on sale for 10 cents last week? It is pretty interesting but limited to 1024x768 looks like. Is there a better remote desktop client for android?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a better remote desktop client for android?
Teamviewer

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jewce posted:

Everything on this site is incredibly slow and a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. I've heard of getjar, but never used them. Are they going to gently caress me over somehow when I DL this stuff?

Edit: ohhh, another appstore. No thanks.

Install Getjar, download free apps you want, uninstall Getjar. Unlike how the Amazon appstore works, you don't need the store installed to use the discounted-to-free apps you got.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Speaking of Light Flow, I wonder if there's any issue for leaving the GN LED on solid for long lengths of time. Every other phone I've had would light up solid red (or amber or whatever) while charging, then solid green when fully charged. Light Flow can easily do this, but I'm concerned about damaging the LED since it would stay lit so often. Am I over thinking things too much?

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

Install Getjar, download free apps you want, uninstall Getjar. Unlike how the Amazon appstore works, you don't need the store installed to use the discounted-to-free apps you got.

Oh sweet, that's good to know. Thanks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Some of the games were worth getting for free. Too bad a lot of them I had already purchased months ago. Splashtop looked interesting and I grabbed that. Is that the thing that was on sale for 10 cents last week? It is pretty interesting but limited to 1024x768 looks like. Is there a better remote desktop client for android?

Splashtop HD handles all higher reses and is designed for Honeycomb and up (iirc, it might support gingerbread).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Jewce posted:

Oh sweet, that's good to know. Thanks.

You're better off removing the Getjar app because it runs some service in the background as well, doing god knows what.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I check GetJar's website every so often and if I see anything worth having I'll install their market, DL the app I want, then uninstall their market.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Never mind, you can't update through the regular market, so who cares.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a better app for the camera? I'm on a Droid X2 and the button is so tiny in the corner, depending what I'm trying to photograph I miss it and it takes me forever :( Are there even other apps?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a better app for the camera? I'm on a Droid X2 and the button is so tiny in the corner, depending what I'm trying to photograph I miss it and it takes me forever :( Are there even other apps?

I'm running the camera from MIUI on my X2 and I much prefer it to stock. But, I'm on a custom ROM, so switching cameras was no big deal. I'm sure there are some good alternatives on the market though if you're not rooted

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

XIII posted:

I'm running the camera from MIUI on my X2 and I much prefer it to stock. But, I'm on a custom ROM, so switching cameras was no big deal. I'm sure there are some good alternatives on the market though if you're not rooted

I'm not rooted and not particularly tech-savvy enough to do it, I think :( Thanks though, maybe someone else will have an idea.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW
It's paid, but Camera ZOOM FX has a feature where you can tap anywhere on the screen to simultaneously focus and take the picture, rather than trying to hit a specific button on the corner of the screen. It also has a bunch of filters ranging from goofy to nifty.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shnooks posted:

I'm not rooted and not particularly tech-savvy enough to do it, I think :( Thanks though, maybe someone else will have an idea.

Check out the X2 forums over at XDA. The difference between my X2 stock and on my current ROM (Eclipse 1.3) is ridiculous. Makes it feel like a whole new device. It's an easy, straight forward procedure to root and flash the ROM. If nothing else, I'd say read up a little and see if it's not worth a shot.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

mwells_cubed posted:

It's paid, but Camera ZOOM FX has a feature where you can tap anywhere on the screen to simultaneously focus and take the picture, rather than trying to hit a specific button on the corner of the screen. It also has a bunch of filters ranging from goofy to nifty.

Seconding this. It also will let you take a picture with the volume rocker buttons, and a bunch of swipe shortcuts.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

XIII posted:

Check out the X2 forums over at XDA. The difference between my X2 stock and on my current ROM (Eclipse 1.3) is ridiculous. Makes it feel like a whole new device. It's an easy, straight forward procedure to root and flash the ROM. If nothing else, I'd say read up a little and see if it's not worth a shot.

Alternatively, I was running 1.3 on my phone and it was great...for like a month and a half. Then it became an unusable; piece of poo poo. Took it back to stock and that fixed most of my problems, it actually ran really well.

Then I used my upgrade for a GNex and that fixed all if my problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What's the closest approximation to ios's 'app folders' you can get for android? Everything seems to involve setting up widgets that you then manually add apps to through a list. I'd prefer to just drag and drop. Is this possible?

Edit: never mind, realised that Go Launcher EX does this so I'll just use that.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 26, 2011

• Locked thread