Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

JumboJetDreams posted:

Of course this dies the day I get paid. Does anyone know of any good deals on the Epic Touch right now?

Keep waiting a while, it'll likely come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

It's always worth a shot I guess. It's not that I don't love sprint, it's that I recently lost my job and the wife just had back surgery, so uh yeah, no money for me for a while!

Fyi don't apologize to anyone about not loving a cell phone carrier. And you can put your account on hold for $8 a line.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi don't apologize to anyone about not loving a cell phone carrier. And you can put your account on hold for $8 a line.

Should I do this for my EPRP account? I'm having financial troubles in college and may need to drop my phone to pay for classes.

Are there some type of student discount or something like that or should I have them put my account on hold for a month or so?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Does putting your account on hold extend your contract? It seems like an ETF alternative.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Should I do this for my EPRP account? I'm having financial troubles in college and may need to drop my phone to pay for classes.

Are there some type of student discount or something like that or should I have them put my account on hold for a month or so?

Student discount is 10% but not eligible on EPRP since you already have a discount basically.

And yes put it on hold. $8 a month and a non working cell phone is way better than having the account rack up bills and potentially ruin your credit if you don't pay them. No contract extension for going on hold (its technically called seasonal standby), but time on seasonal standby does not go against your contract. So if you have 12 months left in contract and place it on hold for 3 months, when you turn it on you still have 12 months. You can use seasonal standby for up to 6 months at a time.

For military people standby is completely free and there are no limitsnon how long, just fyi.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Student discount is 10% but not eligible on EPRP since you already have a discount basically.

And yes put it on hold. $8 a month and a non working cell phone is way better than having the account rack up bills and potentially ruin your credit if you don't pay them. No contract extension for going on hold (its technically called seasonal standby), but time on seasonal standby does not go against your contract. So if you have 12 months left in contract and place it on hold for 3 months, when you turn it on you still have 12 months. You can use seasonal standby for up to 6 months at a time.

For military people standby is completely free and there are no limitsnon how long, just fyi.

What exactly does the hold do? Will I basically pay $8 / mo to keep my account in Sprint's system and then when I remove the hold do I just pay my regular fee at the start of the next bill cycle?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Someone asked a few days ago about wanting to upgrade their $30 SERO to the $40 SERO plan and everyone recommended the LG Marquee and HTC Arrive. I want to do the same thing but just had a few questions.

Im leaning towards the Arrive but right now I have a HTC Touch Pro 2 which is pretty terrible. The main problem is its slow as hell, just getting to my text messages takes 15 seconds on average and it will generally freeze up quite often. I dont quite keep up to date with new phones but is the Arrive anything like this or are phones a lot snappier these days?

Also, how is the WP7 marketplace? I don't know what version of windows my TP2 has but the marketplace is pretty bare and terrible.

edit: Would anyone sway me towards the Marquee? I wouldnt mind android, but the reviews indicate a low battery life.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Cage posted:

Im leaning towards the Arrive but right now I have a HTC Touch Pro 2 which is pretty terrible. The main problem is its slow as hell, just getting to my text messages takes 15 seconds on average and it will generally freeze up quite often. I dont quite keep up to date with new phones but is the Arrive anything like this or are phones a lot snappier these days?
That's mostly Windows Mobile's fault. I run some hacked ghetto Android on my Touch Pro2 and the text messaging experience is literally twice as fast.

Combine that with modern phones nowadays having processors at least 2-3x more powerful and you'll see that you will barely ever encounter such interface lag.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 25, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Windows Phone 7 is a totally different operating system than Windows Mobile 6.5. it's actually programmed well and works! It's been smooth and bug free for me. I like it so far.
If you do pick one up, I recommend installing the Zune software and connecting the phone to the computer right away. That way you can install the "Mango" 7.5 update which brings a lot of improvements.
That being said, I still picked up insurance this time, as having so many hardware problems with an HTC Titan and Touch Pro, I still don't know if I trust stuff not to break(in the hardware sense).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

What exactly does the hold do? Will I basically pay $8 / mo to keep my account in Sprint's system and then when I remove the hold do I just pay my regular fee at the start of the next bill cycle?

Paying $8 a month to keep your account on hold so you don't have to cancel, let the bill run up, fall behind, etc. And yes, you just go back to your regular plan.

Cage posted:

Someone asked a few days ago about wanting to upgrade their $30 SERO to the $40 SERO plan and everyone recommended the LG Marquee and HTC Arrive. I want to do the same thing but just had a few questions.

Also, how is the WP7 marketplace? I don't know what version of windows my TP2 has but the marketplace is pretty bare and terrible.

edit: Would anyone sway me towards the Marquee? I wouldnt mind android, but the reviews indicate a low battery life.

I use the arrive and like it. Fast, snappy phone. Windows phone 7 marketplace isn't as good as android, but its getting there and all the essentials are there. I would say try one in store, but no one carriers the arrive in store anymore because of poor sales.

Marquee is pretty good, if you want android get that, but if you don't have a preference the arrive is possibly better.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 25, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Does anyone know if Sprint Airaves will let phones with Sprint MVNOs connect to them? I'm thinking about getting my mom to sign up with Republic Wireless ($19 a month of unlimited everything is ridiculous) and I'm curious if the Airave would allow the phone to connect or not.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

td4guy posted:

Combine that with modern phones nowadays having processors at least 2-3x more powerful and you'll see that you will barely ever encounter such interface lag.

CharlesM posted:

Windows Phone 7 is a totally different operating system than Windows Mobile 6.5. it's actually programmed well and works! It's been smooth and bug free for me. I like it so far.

Duckman2008 posted:

I use the arrive and like it. Fast, snappy phone. Windows phone 7 marketplace isn't as good as android, but its getting there and all the essentials are there. I would say try one in store, but no one carriers the arrive in store anymore because of poor sales.

Thanks dudes, Ill probably be picking up an arrive shortly. One more question though, if I jump from $30 SERO to $40 Premium SERO is it possible to downgrade to $30 in the future if I choose or will I be locked at $40 forever?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Does anyone know if Sprint Airaves will let phones with Sprint MVNOs connect to them? I'm thinking about getting my mom to sign up with Republic Wireless ($19 a month of unlimited everything is ridiculous) and I'm curious if the Airave would allow the phone to connect or not.

No, the airrave won't even work with boost phones. Sprint only.

And I believe you can only go back to $30 SERO if you get a dumbphone, windows mobile is grandfathered only if you currently have it. Honestly, I can't see people being willing to go back when you get way more value with the arrive.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

No, the airrave won't even work with boost phones. Sprint only.

Well Boost wouldn't work because it's iDEN, but I guess a real test would be Virgin Mobile. Oh well though, it's not a big deal since Republic's whole gimmick is that their phones are set up to prefer WiFi calling like T-Mobile's UMA. Since she can just use WiFi like that, Airave connectivity isn't necessary. Although my research appears to be for naught since their "beta" is currently closed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Well Boost wouldn't work because it's iDEN, but I guess a real test would be Virgin Mobile. Oh well though, it's not a big deal since Republic's whole gimmick is that their phones are set up to prefer WiFi calling like T-Mobile's UMA. Since she can just use WiFi like that, Airave connectivity isn't necessary. Although my research appears to be for naught since their "beta" is currently closed.

Some Boost phones are iDEN, but most now are CDMA, just fyi.

And on a non-Sprint related note, you suck for getting rid of your awesome BSG avatar!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Some Boost phones are iDEN, but most now are CDMA, just fyi.

And on a non-Sprint related note, you suck for getting rid of your awesome BSG avatar!

Eh, shows what I know. I thought it was still CDMA = Virgin, iDEN = Boost.

What are you saying? You how misguided my priorities are, so I thought my kid would make a better avatar than Colonel Tigh.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
A quick question for anyone who's dealt with Asurion - I broke the screen on my second Evo 3D, and I've got the replacement from them. I was a bit surprised when they sent me a whole new phone, accessories included. What do I stuff in the return envelope? Just the phone, or the SD card and battery too? What about the charger?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Octavian posted:

A quick question for anyone who's dealt with Asurion - I broke the screen on my second Evo 3D, and I've got the replacement from them. I was a bit surprised when they sent me a whole new phone, accessories included. What do I stuff in the return envelope? Just the phone, or the SD card and battery too? What about the charger?

Always just the phone... keep the battery, SD card, and charger.

Oxford comma, bitches.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Alright, with the introduction of the iPhone on Sprint, I'm thinking I might finally step out of the stone age, and upgrade all the way to the $40 SERO Premium plan. What are my best options for phones?

The OP seems to indicate that anything that's not 4G or the iPhone should work on the $40 plan, which leads me to believe that the Optimus and Hero are my best options. Is there a 3G Evo?

I assume my $150 upgrade credit from Sprint will be useless, but I've noticed that the Sprint website offers a certified pre-owned Heros for $80 without the need for a contract extension. Am I better off trying to find something used with a clean ESN, and just calling that number in the OP to get it hooked up? I've got a pretty decent gift card balance with Amazon; do they have good deals on phones without plans?

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 26, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's no 3G Evo, the current consensus on the best 3G phones are the LG Marquee (Android) and the HTC Arrive (Windows Phone 7). LG Optimus is also decent but a bit older now. Don't bother getting a Hero nowadays, anything newer will serve your purposes less painfully.

Why do you think your $150 upgrade is no good?

And yes, $50 SERO is for the 4G phones and the iPhones.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Huh, Im pretty dumb and didnt realize that in order to use the arrive I'd have to not only jump from $30 SERO to $40 premium SERO but also pay the additional $10 smartphone fee. For some reason I thought they were the same fee. So basically the only thing the $40 premium SERO does for you is to put a checkbox on your account that says "Account is now eligible for $10 smartphone fee", correct?

My TP2 still sucks rear end I don't know what to do now.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Only 4G phones require the $10 data fee in addition to $40 SERO Premium.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That doesn't sound right to me. I'm using a Blackberry Bold 9650 on $40 SERO and not paying any extra fee for it. I don't see why you'd have to.

Edit: what GC said.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I called the SERO/EPRP number in the OP, the girl on the phone confirmed that I would be paying $50 for my phone plan if I wanted the arrive. Call back I guess?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yes, or try upgrading online - it should indicate the necessary plan change at some point during the process.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I went to a Sprint store with my recently unrooted EVO to have the phone unlocked (I guess the phone number and username cleared from the "Phone Identity" menu) before sending it away, but the employee was unable to do it.

He kept asking me if I'd ever rooted the phone and told me that the "Sprint master unlock codes" were not working on the phone.

Is there any thing I can do about this? Is this total bullshit?

[edit] I may have used an app to access the phone's MSL at some point... have I hosed myself over with this?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 26, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The only thing I can think to suggest is re-rooting it and downloading MSL Reader from the market to get the codes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Leathal posted:

The only thing I can think to suggest is re-rooting it and downloading MSL Reader from the market to get the codes.

Rooted, got MSL reader... now I have a 6 digit code. How can I use this to fix it?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

goku chewbacca posted:

Only 4G phones require the $10 data fee in addition to $40 SERO Premium.

Except the iPhone, that requires $50 SERO even though it's 3G.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Cage posted:

I called the SERO/EPRP number in the OP, the girl on the phone confirmed that I would be paying $50 for my phone plan if I wanted the arrive. Call back I guess?

This is a recent change, but yes - they're trying to get everyone with a smartphone (4G or not) on the $50 plan. However, smartphones released before a certain date are supposed to still be eligible for $40 SERO-P. Check sprintusers for more details.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Wow, that's crazy. I hadn't heard anything about that. Do you have a link to the relevant SprintUsers thread(s)?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

td4guy posted:

Wow, that's crazy. I hadn't heard anything about that. Do you have a link to the relevant SprintUsers thread(s)?

It's a big thread in the SERO section in Tips & Tricks, here is the relevant comment on Russ's blog: http://mcguireslaw.com/2011/01/18/sero-premium-and-premium-data/#comment-7054

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
gently caress. I just dropped my evo and it blew apart; after 13 months of ownership the first time I drop the phone it blows apart. I put it back together and it's working fine, however the case in the upper corner near the headphone jacked is hosed and the case won't close completely. I can't really afford to buy a new phone: has anyone had any success wheeling deals out of sprint customer service as far as waving the contract cancellation fee if you're going to sign for a new contract anyway? I'm on the EPRP plan so I'm paying ~$70 a month for unlimited data, I think I may downgrade to a regular old phone that I'm not afraid of dropping. Anyone have any experience?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Valithan posted:

gently caress. I just dropped my evo and it blew apart; after 13 months of ownership the first time I drop the phone it blows apart. I put it back together and it's working fine, however the case in the upper corner near the headphone jacked is hosed and the case won't close completely. I can't really afford to buy a new phone: has anyone had any success wheeling deals out of sprint customer service as far as waving the contract cancellation fee if you're going to sign for a new contract anyway? I'm on the EPRP plan so I'm paying ~$70 a month for unlimited data, I think I may downgrade to a regular old phone that I'm not afraid of dropping. Anyone have any experience?

Not really sure on the answer your specific question, but you can buy a replacement housing for around 40 bucks.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm visiting my folks for the holidays and holy poo poo is Sprint service bad in Evansville, IN! I think I've spent half the time here roaming on Verizon and even with 1x roaming still getting better data speeds than 3G Sprint. Did Sprint just forget this city exists or something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I'm visiting my folks for the holidays and holy poo poo is Sprint service bad in Evansville, IN! I think I've spent half the time here roaming on Verizon and even with 1x roaming still getting better data speeds than 3G Sprint. Did Sprint just forget this city exists or something?

Honestly yes. I have no idea why since evansville is not exactly a no where city, but its a blackhole with sprint for some reason. Sprint literally only offered 1x there until I think 10 months ago, and like you are finding out the upgrades are still pretty pathetic.

Basically, if you live in evansville, don't get sprint.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly yes. I have no idea why since evansville is not exactly a no where city, but its a blackhole with sprint for some reason. Sprint literally only offered 1x there until I think 10 months ago, and like you are finding out the upgrades are still pretty pathetic.

Basically, if you live in evansville, don't get sprint.
I really didn't realize (or even remember) it being THIS bad, but it's pretty bad. If my parents hadn't just upgraded their phones, I might contemplate pushing them to T-Mobile or even Verizon for their own sake, but for now, they're stuck. The ironic part, to me, is that they get fantastic service at their home. Can I call up Sprint and get free Airaves to blanket the rest of the city?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mark Larson posted:

This is a recent change, but yes - they're trying to get everyone with a smartphone (4G or not) on the $50 plan. However, smartphones released before a certain date are supposed to still be eligible for $40 SERO-P. Check sprintusers for more details.
Just in case anyone else was wondering, I emailed E-care about 3G phones and the $10 smartphone fee.

quote:

Good Morning Alex,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Everything Plus Referral Program.

If you upgrade to the Sero Premium plan with the monthly recurring charge of $40.00 and purchase a 3G unit such as the HTC Arrive you would not have to pay the additional $10.00. If purchasing a 4G or iPhone device you would then be required to upgrade to the Sero Premium plan plus the $10 Premium Data Add-on Charge

For further assistance regarding your rate plan please contact Customer Care at 1-888-876-8381.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Joyce Paquette
Everything Plus Team

Great to hear, definitely buying an Arrive today. Which I could get one in store though.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
In Evo3D ICS news, there's a pre alpha build on xda that supposedly has nearly full hardware acceleration. Considering that's supposed to be the hardest part of porting ICS, I'm eagerly watching the thread for camera to be fixed so I can flash it.

Not expecting 3d or Wimax to ever work, but a fully hardware accelerated aosp ICS would be pretty drat spiffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

In Evo3D ICS news, there's a pre alpha build on xda that supposedly has nearly full hardware acceleration. Considering that's supposed to be the hardest part of porting ICS, I'm eagerly watching the thread for camera to be fixed so I can flash it.

Not expecting 3d or Wimax to ever work, but a fully hardware accelerated aosp ICS would be pretty drat spiffy.

If it had working data, I'd consider at least flashing it to poke around, but drat without data it's kind of pointless. Maybe some day I have off I'll play with it on ifi.

*edit*

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1411461

Looks like he's got full acceleration and data now! If it had a working camera it might be worth actually testing out.