Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bubble-T posted:

With all the magic and technology in fighting game universes you'd think they could invent some sort of sports bra.

This reminds of when SNK was the best company ever in the mid-nineties and put out dozens of short comics making fun of themselves and their characters. The best one was this one where Mai is complaining about how her costume is causing her massive back pain and giving her stretch marks before 40. So she goes back to using her FF3/Real Bout costume and there's all these reasons for why it's better like the better support and whatever. Then the last panel is a bunch of pervy looking guys looking this outfit on a drafting table going "Hrmm...breaks continuity...shows too much leg unrealistic...decreases flexibility..." and literally every excuse that exists. Eerily prophetic of female fighting game character design today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Gamest Mook posted:

aaaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDxHUWKQahw

42 hit combo is "meaningful" lol

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Here's Painwheel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vLAKcyIChw

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

iPodschun posted:

Here's Painwheel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vLAKcyIChw

Oh my god its super Blanka!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceBees posted:

Oh my god its super Blanka!

If you mean the ball roll it's actually more like Sonic.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Skullgirls looks fantastic. It's just disappointing that there's so much shameless pandering in there, because it really does look fun.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Fiction posted:

Skullgirls looks fantastic. It really does look fun.

This is a good post that in no way stupidly trips an argument we had three pages ago.

Can't wait for this game.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Happy holidays, FGT :toot:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

scuz posted:

Jingle bells, Rufus smells, Wesker had a gun. :toot:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

scuz posted:

What a homophobe.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Merry KoFsmas to all, and to all a good fight. Make sure to leave some Chocolate Chipp cookies out for ol' St. 'Nick Wright.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
T'was the night before Noel and all across the sea
Not a normal was active, not even 2D

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
More Skullgirls videos. Dacidbro (Painwheel) vs. Mike Z (Cerebella): http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/24/friday-night-skullgirls-dacidbro-painwheel-vs-mike-z-cerebella/

Valentine combos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoTe9HyMGRg

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They really need better voice actors. :(

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

flatluigi posted:

They really need better voice actors. :(

Says you. :colbert:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Valentine has Dio Brando knives :swoon:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
give every character a dio reference, you're already set with peacock! Last character had better have the no respect walk.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Saxophone guy needs a big ol' glass of wine/blood.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's possible I'm misunderstanding something about the loop stopping system, but the combo videos that have been posted for Skullgirls so far all seem to have some loops in them that go unbroken. I'm assuming that they wouldn't demo combos that the system is designed to discourage or prevent, so what am I missing?

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

The Rokstar posted:

T'was the night before Noel and all across the sea
Not a normal was active, not even 2D

The nails were placed through the stage with care
In hopes that Bang would dash through the air

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

UberChair posted:

The nails were placed through the stage with care
In hopes that Bang would dash through the air
"There's room for all," said the jolly Ono.
And everyone came, and some you may know;
Mayors with lariats, complete with mustaches,
Q-Bees with stingers and instant air-dashes.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

scuz posted:

"There's room for all," said the jolly Ono.
And everyone came, and some you may know;
Mayors with lariats, complete with mustaches,
Q-Bees with stingers and instant air-dashes.

Fei Long with his rekkas, and Yun with his lunges,
Even Jin Saotome with Blodia Punches.
Came fighters and fightettes of all shapes and sizes,
and Jean lit up the hearth with a "DARK PHOENIX RISES"!

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

chumbler posted:

It's possible I'm misunderstanding something about the loop stopping system, but the combo videos that have been posted for Skullgirls so far all seem to have some loops in them that go unbroken. I'm assuming that they wouldn't demo combos that the system is designed to discourage or prevent, so what am I missing?

I'm assuming that the system doesn't count something as a loop if there are slight variations in the moves used.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
On the twelfth day of Fightmas, my Ono-san gave to me...
12 Comeback mechanics
11 Ultra combos
10 Input shortcuts
9 S-Kills lying
8 R.Mika outfits
7 Option selects
6 Vortex characters
5 Golden Gems
4 Shoto clones
3 Dive Kicks
2 Paid updates
And a Blanka in a twitpic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

Fei Long with his rekkas, and Yun with his lunges,
Even Jin Saotome with Blodia Punches.
Came fighters and fightettes of all shapes and sizes,
and Jean lit up the hearth with a "DARK PHOENIX RISES"!

But all were not happy on this Noel Eve.
From his fortress in Thailand one man wished to leave.
Restless in his bed slept the lonely M. Bison,
Dreaming the death of a frustrating American.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 25, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What's the difference between vortex and rushdown characters? I know how they play differently but I'm having trouble explaining the distinction to a friend.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brannock posted:

What's the difference between vortex and rushdown characters? I know how they play differently but I'm having trouble explaining the distinction to a friend.

Rushdown: Presses offensive advantages. Generally very oriented on gaining aggressive momentum and sticking with it.

Vortex: A subset of said characters that puts you into a knockdown situation where the enemy has an extremely low chance of guessing right to escape the followups, which all feed back into the same low-chance of escape mixup. Hence, once you enter the vortex, you don't escape.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

chumbler posted:

Here's the rules as I understand them:
-Whatever you do on the ground at the start of a combo is ignored by the loop detection.
-After you launch, loop detection kicks in and start taking note of what moves you use in each section of a combo. I think a section counts as something like jumping after a launch to landing, or landing to jumping again but I'm fuzzy on that so ask jmcrofts.
-If a section starts with a move you've already used anywhere in the combo, it triggers loop detection and they can burst.

If you watch that last Valentine combo where she's doing a lot of jumps in the corner, notice that each jump section starts with a different move until eventually she uses the body bag. I think that Painwheel purple mode combo with four ground bounces works the same way. I might also be real wrong about the combo rules.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Variations of a loop can help prevent it from kicking in, but the infinite prevention system is a simple loop prevention with a ton of exceptions coded into it. I would say a lot of the loops you see in those videos are ones that are hard coded in to be allowed for X number of reps or have properties built in to allow them to loop but not be infinite.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It's possible that Painwheel's level 3 could ignore the loop detection while it's active, but I don't know and I'm pulling this entirely out of my rear end.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

chumbler posted:

But all were not happy on this Noel Eve.
From his fortress in Thailand one man wished to leave.
Restless in his bed slept the lonely M. Bison,
Dreaming the death of a frustrating American.

Better than the rest, the top tiers they came
Players button-checked, and called them by name:
Now Viper! Now Doom! Now Magnus, and Wesker!
On Nova! On Hawkeye! On Vergil and Spencer!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

UberChair posted:

Better than the rest, the top tiers they came
Players button-checked, and called them by name:
Now Viper! Now Doom! Now Magnus, and Wesker!
On Nova! On Hawkeye! On Vergil and Spencer!

Last of all did the bottom tiers show.
Tron, Arthur, Hakan, and Hsien Ko.
All were not ready, said Benimaru.
It was time for the feast, but where was Ryu?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 25, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Loops like the Ms Fortune headbutt loop work because each section (which are separated by the head attack) starts with a different normal. Once you run out of normals you can't continue the loop without triggering an infinite.

The painwheel lv3 air throw loop is the same thing. Every time he starts a new section (which is after each ground bounce), a different air normal is used which lets you avoid doing a true infinite. Again, you can only do a few reps before you run out of normals.

There are almost no character or move-specific exceptions to the IPS, the only "big" exceptions are that the first ground section of a combo is ignored, and you can't trigger an infinite during your first jump. The only character-specific IPS exception I can think of is that Parasoul can trigger an infinite by repeatedly chaining into and out of her headstomp move, even though technically it's only one really long combo section. There are no loops that are hard-coded to be acceptable by the IPS, if you see a loop it's either a. at the beginning of the combo so you get an ignored section or b. each section is started with a different normal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hark! How the orbs
Sweet purple orbs
All seemed to say
Please stay away

Oh, how happy are their sounds
Gayly they spin while Rose says
Soul Spiral all their life away

Merry Christmas from the bottom tier.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Justin Wong uses Iron Fist
Taking SCR with his supple wrists
Noel brown says if is free
but he lost that day, 1-3

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jmcrofts posted:

Loops like the Ms Fortune headbutt loop work because each section (which are separated by the head attack) starts with a different normal. Once you run out of normals you can't continue the loop without triggering an infinite.

The painwheel lv3 air throw loop is the same thing. Every time he starts a new section (which is after each ground bounce), a different air normal is used which lets you avoid doing a true infinite. Again, you can only do a few reps before you run out of normals.

There are almost no character or move-specific exceptions to the IPS, the only "big" exceptions are that the first ground section of a combo is ignored, and you can't trigger an infinite during your first jump. The only character-specific IPS exception I can think of is that Parasoul can trigger an infinite by repeatedly chaining into and out of her headstomp move, even though technically +it's only one really long combo section. There are no loops that are hard-coded to be acceptable by the IPS, if you see a loop it's either a. at the beginning of the combo so you get an ignored section or b. each section is started with a different normal.

I tried to ask Mike about this but either he didn't see the post or ignored it so maybe you can illuminate this: I was told if you start with a jumping move, that counts as a jumpin and is free (and I believe precedes the two free ground sections). Does that section only end when you land? If not I don't see how this combo works...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV4QGR_BTyo&t=12m32s

Hot loving drat, this system has the craziest poo poo. It really does remind me of every FG system in recent memory crammed into one. Too bad it really dropped off the radar.

Oh well, I guess I have my overpriced import copy of BB:CS:EX for entertainment. The more I see of CC, though, the better it looks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Apparently CC's filled with braindead infinites, last I heard. It's too bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Seriously? gently caress my life.

Well, I guess that means they're taking time on the console port to patch that stuff out then. :unsmith:

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

flatluigi posted:

There isn't a single practical infinite in the game? There's only even one known one and I've never seen anyone do it in a real match (presumably because it's super situational).

And yes they're working on a v1.1 patch, which is to make one of the boss characters playable and fix some bugs.

The only thing really questionable about the game is that Exceed Mode is super-duper strong. That is basically to say, once you have max super meters, the other person is gonna die the next time you hit them. This is a little weird when combined with how well some characters can build super meter by wiffing specials.

The unfortunately result of this is that other uses for meter are far less useful, so even though there are tons of systems in place, you don't see a whole lot of them by comparison.

So there's nothing really wrong with it, but it is kind of janky in that regard. It sort of reminds me of Alpha 3, minus the dumb rear end infinites.

The character balance is also very good BTW. There's some obvious best characters, but they haven't seemed to be substantially better than anyone else.

Edit: v1.1 is already out actually, so it seems. :words: about Exceed mode may very well be outdated at this point as well, also seems like they greatly lowered the rate of meter gain in this version, and did some character rebalancing.

Edit2: Yeah they at least nerfed the Overheat time of Exceed mode a fair bit, it's 20 seconds now as opposed to 12. Not sure about damage scaling or all that though.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 26, 2011

• Locked thread