Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's been vaguely hinted at for a while now on SAR. I don't really get how it's supposed to take NEX lenses and Alpha natively given the different register distances, unless it comes bundled with that adapter or something.

I'm certainly interested, but given how far off it likely is, I'd buy a Fuji/NEX-7 and use that for the better part of a year, and then sell it and buy the full-frame offering if it looked compelling/affordable. I think it'd be huge if they were able to keep it under $2000.

A full frame NEX body will never come out. Each full frame prime lens will start at 500+. Fuji is the only Japanese company that's Boutique enough to start a more expensive premium system. If they are not using a larger sensor format, then nobody else is going to make and sell a system that cost you 2 grand for the body and a kit lens. These xxxrumors websites are full of poo poo. Most of them are just recycling fake rumors from xitek.

I was really hoping for a 1.3X sensor from Fuji but it looks like they are staying with APS.

OK after Fuji there is really two guys that can make a premium FF system. Leica and Zeiss. Let's face it, even if these guys make it I doubt I will be able to afford it. When the Contax G2 system was available, the lens price was very comparable with the manual Zeiss lens prices of today.

Although I think there is certainly a market for FF mirrorless camera. Zeiss need to secure a long term FF sensor contract to make one.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

A full frame NEX body will never come out. Each full frame prime lens will start at 500+. Fuji is the only Japanese company that's Boutique enough to start a more expensive premium system. If they are not using a larger sensor format, then nobody else is going to make and sell a system that cost you 2 grand for the body and a kit lens. These xxxrumors websites are full of poo poo. Most of them are just recycling fake rumors from xitek.

I was really hoping for a 1.3X sensor from Fuji but it looks like they are staying with APS.

OK after Fuji there is really two guys that can make a premium FF system. Leica and Zeiss. Let's face it, even if these guys make it I doubt I will be able to afford it. When the Contax G2 system was available, the lens price was very comparable with the manual Zeiss lens prices of today.

Although I think there is certainly a market for FF mirrorless camera. Zeiss need to secure a long term FF sensor contract to make one.

Actually, SAR was pretty accurate about the NEX-7. You're right in that it's not going to be a straight-up NEX camera (SAR says as much), but I think the chances that something like what they're predicting is going to come out are pretty good. Sony isn't in to boutique stuff like Fuji, but they're definitely willing to make pretty radical leaps in design. There's a pretty big pent-up demand for a full-frame mirrorless camera that's not a Leica M9, I could see Sony being the ones to finally come out with one.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think the big thing is that you can't fit a full frame sensor in the E-mount. It's just not big enough because it was designed purely with an APS-C sensor in mind. If they made a full frame NEX, it would need an entirely new mount system which would be absurd. It's not like EOS where you can put EF-S and EF lenses on the same mount because EF was built from the ground up as a full frame mount.

I don't think they need to make a full frame NEX because the image quality is good enough with their current sensors. What they need to do is start working on the lenses so that people can get the focal lengths they want. That will go a long way towards lowering the demand for full frame. The lenses for APS-C coverage are already disproportionately large and heavy compared to the body. It would be even worse if they had to cover full frame.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Well Leica's mirrorless FF is already the M9 so that just leaves Zeiss, which said in an interview they don't ever intend to make cameras again. I think the current Zeiss Ikon is the only camera that they'll "make". I'd love to see a digital FF version of the Zeiss Ikon but I doubt it will ever happen. They seem to be firmly entrenched in making lenses and I think even their focus on lens is slowly shifting over to cine lenses.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I suspect we will see a mirrorless full-frame from Sony, though it would be an A-mount (or this bizarre hybrid mount idea). The biggest criticism of SLT technology is light loss due to the mirror, and the mirror is there to provide phase detection autofocus. Here is a link to Sony's patents for on-sensor PDAF, which would eliminate the SLT mirror. It's the realistic next step for Sony.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bob Socko posted:

I suspect we will see a mirrorless full-frame from Sony, though it would be an A-mount (or this bizarre hybrid mount idea). The biggest criticism of SLT technology is light loss due to the mirror, and the mirror is there to provide phase detection autofocus. Here is a link to Sony's patents for on-sensor PDAF, which would eliminate the SLT mirror. It's the realistic next step for Sony.

The problem with a mirrorless A-mount camera is that you'd have a skinny camera body with a big spacer where the lens mount is because it would have to maintain the flange focal distance. Basically, it would be a NEX with a built-in LA-EA2, which again introduces similar issues as the SLT because it uses the same pellicle mirror technology for AF because the current NEX contrast-detection AF is painful compared to regular DSLR AF. Whether we'll see on-sensor phase AF for real at the FF scale is another matter.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Socko posted:

Once the GXR PK mount module come out, which Ricoh have said they will make, you will realize how bad an idea that is. Most of the body will be taken up by the empty adapter tube.

alkanphel posted:

Well Leica's mirrorless FF is already the M9 so that just leaves Zeiss, which said in an interview they don't ever intend to make cameras again. I think the current Zeiss Ikon is the only camera that they'll "make". I'd love to see a digital FF version of the Zeiss Ikon but I doubt it will ever happen. They seem to be firmly entrenched in making lenses and I think even their focus on lens is slowly shifting over to cine lenses.

Some Japanese company can still buy Zeiss and start making FF mirrorless system. Or they can license out the Contax name again like Kyrocea did. I hope whoever do that also license out the in-sensor AF technology from Nikon, it will make AF alot faster. Now I wonder who share the same finance group with Nikon. Nikon belongs to the Mitsubishi Keiretsu, Sony and Fujifilm belongs to another (Mitshi), I don't know Kyrcera or Cosina belongs to which Keiretsu. Hard to google this poo poo.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 25, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Some Japanese company can still buy Zeiss and start making FF mirrorless system. Or they can license out the Contax name again like Kyrocea did. I hope whoever do that also license out the in-sensor AF technology from Nikon, it will make AF alot faster. Now I wonder who share the same finance group with Nikon. Nikon belongs to the Mitsubishi Keiretsu, Sony and Fujifilm belongs to another (Mitshi), I don't know Kyrcera or Cosina belongs to which Keiretsu. Hard to google this poo poo.
Well I don't really see a point of a Japanese company buying Zeiss to make mirrorless FF since Zeiss doesn't have any technology for sensors. They could however enter a partnership with Zeiss to make AF lenses like what Zeiss did with Sony. It would be nice to see one of them license the Contax brand from Zeiss since Kyocera relinquished it and then revive the Contax range again as mirrorless (FF) cameras.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Man, this kit lens is killing me. For so long I've shot with nothing but fast primes and f/2.8 zooms so ending up at f/5.6 on the long end is pain. Can't wait to get the Pentax-to-NEX adapter in the mail.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
A thoroughly vanilla Canon FD 50/1.8 SC and a Fotodiox adapter has turned my NEX 5n into a light eating magical bokeh machine! They should pack this combo into every NEX kit they sell. So much fun for so little expense...

Glasses by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm also getting an M39 to Nex adapter so I'll be able to use my Russian rangefinder lenses. Can't wait to use my Jupiter-8 50mm f/2.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

krackmonkey posted:

Glasses by Trip Sixes, on Flickr
Jesus Christ.

What kind of MF focus assist does the nex5n have on it?

ease fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 27, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ease posted:

Jesus Christ.

What kind of MF focus assist does the nex5n have on it?
Magnified focus peaking. It magnifies the image then highlights the edges that are in focus. Also you can set the focus mode not just to manual but to DMF which autofocuses then lets you adjust the focus manually.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Does it let you watch focus peaking while recording video?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yes it shows focus peaking while recording video but it doesn't appear to magnify the image (unless I am missing a setting somewhere). Also it appears that DMF is a stills only mode.

EDIT: Also, while focus peaking is great, I started shooting many decades ago on an all manual Nikon FM and I miss the hell out of the split prism with microprism collar focusing screens (Mikon K screen),

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 27, 2011

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

I pretty much never use the magnification assist except in rare circumstances, it magnifies every slight hand movement as well, so it defeats the purpose in determining how good your focus is. That translates to disaster in my overcaffeinated hands :) On a tripod, I can see it being indispensable.

I'm still shocked at how good the focus peaking mode on the NEX 5n is and how quick and easy it is to find focus and really nail it as long as you've got a slightly contrasty subject for it to read from. How have other manufacturers besides Ricoh not jumped on this bandwagon?

I almost never use anything but that Canon lens on my NEX now, it's too fun and I love what it does and how involved it gets me back in the process.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One thing I've noticed with high ISO photos on the NEX 5N is that the character of the noise is totally different from my Canon DSLRs. On the Canons, the noise tends to be way more patterny whereas the noise on the 5N is more random, like film grain. It's a good thing because the noise doesn't stand out as much.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

HPL posted:

One thing I've noticed with high ISO photos on the NEX 5N is that the character of the noise is totally different from my Canon DSLRs. On the Canons, the noise tends to be way more patterny whereas the noise on the 5N is more random, like film grain. It's a good thing because the noise doesn't stand out as much.
I tend to ADD grain to most of my stuff in post, usually via silver efex or color efex, but there is a nice quality to the way the 5n does noise, you are correct there.

I break a lot of rules in post, I add vignette, noise, and grain where other people would be slavishly trying to eradicate and perfect their images. I like things to be a little dirty, a little imperfect. I should probably do some stuff that is ultra clean, so I know how to get that look when it's needed, but I always gravitate towards making things a little intentionally sloppy.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

HPL posted:

I don't think there's much of a size advantage any more. The Pen E-PM1 body is roughly the same size as the NEX 5N body. With kit zoom lenses, the NEX 5N is actually smaller because the Pen kit lens is stupidly long when in actual use. When you see photos of the Pen line of cameras, the kit lens looks small because they took the photo with the lens in the retracted, non-functional position.

But when does the size during use matter? You aren't going to store a camera while a zoom lens is extended.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cacator posted:

But when does the size during use matter? You aren't going to store a camera while a zoom lens is extended.

It does matter if you want to snap a shots without the street object notice. That's why I use rangefinder lens.

Also, the new Tamron 18-200 for NEX is smaller than the Sony one. Somebody need to do a size comparo between this lens, the Panasonic 15-150, and whatever the 10X lens is for Nikon 1.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Shot a couple of concerts with my 5N tonight. Not a bad experience. I ended up using manual focus most of the time because running manual with focus peaking proved to be faster than waiting for the AF. Manual focusing was also nice because the live view makes it so that things are bright even if they're dark in real life as opposed to an optical viewfinder where it can be really hard to focus because of the darkness.

One thing I really, really like about the NEX 5N is the fast shutter. It's easier to catch things like flying hair and jumps because you don't have to anticipate as much due to the nearly non-existent shutter lag.

What I missed most was a back focus button. If Sony is listening out there, please please please make it so the play button can be used as an AF-start button and the video record button used as the play button.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Okay, if anyone wants to see how the 5N does in low light with the kit lens, here you go. The lighting at the second show was not as good as the first one. Both sets were shot at ISO 1600 and up, the second one with a fair bit of 6400 work.

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts2011/SplitTRACTCupla-December-27/20783853_xn5zvD

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts2011/The-BelushisBMNSTRBroken/20783972_55PVW4

The photos were processed with DxO Optics 7.1 and finished off with Photoshop Elements.

Overall, I'm impressed with the 5N. As mentioned before, a huge part of the quality of its low light photos come from the appearance of the noise. It blends in better because it's smoother and more uniform as opposed to a jarring pattern that stands out like a sore thumb. 3200 is definitely a comfortable speed and 6400 is okay for web resolution, though I wouldn't want to use it that often unless I was shooting in black and white. I was able to pull a reasonable amount of detail from the shadows in post. Not a huge amount, but more than I used to be able to with my 40D without things getting messy.

Metering was pretty good and I ended up with very few totally blown-out highlights that couldn't be recovered.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 28, 2011

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HPL , how do you compare the workflow of gong through Adobe lightroom and the tools your using now?. Each one has the easiest batch processing procesure if you want to go through RAW and noice reduction?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

HPL , how do you compare the workflow of gong through Adobe lightroom and the tools your using now?. Each one has the easiest batch processing procesure if you want to go through RAW and noice reduction?

I never used Lightroom for anything more than file organization like picking selects and meta tags and all that, so I can't speak to the actual processing abilities of Lightroom.

DxO is a fantastic raw processor, but it is very weak for going through photos and organizing them. What it does well is make it so that you spend a minimal amount of time tweaking sliders plus it has excellent noise reduction. It also excels at lens corrections, perspective correction and other such things and integrates seamlessly with DxO FilmPack. So basically DxO is great as long as you have a way of getting files to it and then a way of giving the files a last bit of spit and polish after DxO. What I usually do is adjust all the corrections for the files, start the batch process in DxO and then go to bed or something while it's doing that and then when I come back, I have my nice TIFF files all ready for last touches before publishing.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Need to make a gear decision. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Vs Sony NEX C3
I have a nikon D300 and need something smaller for street photography and better iso. I'm drawn to the touch focusing and miniature mode of the GF3 (I've used the tx20) but the NEX's sensor. I don't really need a viewfinder as I'll be holding it at a lower level. Halp.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Why the C3 over the 5N? The 5N is a lovely camera, and it has the touch focusing feature you like.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Medusula posted:

Need to make a gear decision. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Vs Sony NEX C3
I have a nikon D300 and need something smaller for street photography and better iso. I'm drawn to the touch focusing and miniature mode of the GF3 (I've used the tx20) but the NEX's sensor. I don't really need a viewfinder as I'll be holding it at a lower level. Halp.

GF2 is better and cheaper than GF3. Picking between GF2 and C3 depends on your lens budget and focal length pteference.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
@ Bob Socko Does it? *googles* ah bugger. Problem is money, I set myself a £400 budget, the C3 is £389 and the GF3 is £299. 5n is over £500 and was hit by the flooding so it's 1-3 month wait unless I go hong kong.

Edit: I looked into the GF2 and it's the same price as a new GF3 at the moment without a few features. Picking gear is hard, I may have to go annoy the good people of jessops but our one is poo poo and may not have everything in stock.

Medusula fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 29, 2011

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Medusula posted:

@ Bob Socko Does it? *googles* ah bugger. Problem is money, I set myself a £400 budget, the C3 is £389 and the GF3 is £299. 5n is over £500 and was hit by the flooding so it's 1-3 month wait unless I go hong kong.

Edit: I looked into the GF2 and it's the same price as a new GF3 at the moment without a few features. Picking gear is hard, I may have to go annoy the good people of jessops but our one is poo poo and may not have everything in stock.
The NEX C3 has the miniature mode you like as well as touch focus, although none of your listed options handle touch focus anywhere near as nicely nor as quickly as the Olympus E-P3 (probably out of your budget, however)- I found the touch controls on my NEX 5n to be more nuisance than benefit and quickly disabled them in the menus and will likely never re-enable them unless a FW update adds improvements in the future.

The C3 has the added bonus of articulated screen, which will work well with your planned shoot from the hip approach, and the focus peaking using adapted MF glass is just about as good as it gets. I've got a Canon 50/1.8 on my 5n and don't plan on removing it unless I find a cheap fast 24mm somewhere. The C3 is also going to have an edge in low-light performance and deliver slightly less noise than any of the M 4/3 options, but noise can be handled by Lightroom, etc... and shouldn't be much of a discouragement from the format if that's what you're leaning towards. I'd say right now, the Sony wins if you don't need a variety of E-Mount lenses (since the pickings are slim and will be until later into the year, but should be less of a nitpick around this time next year) and plan on adapting any MF lenses to your new toy. If you're looking for a variety of affordable (and pretty fantastic) AF lenses, then the M 4/3 system is the way to go.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 29, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you're going to be shooting from the hip a lot, the touch screen is good to have because you can access controls by using the touch screen more comfortably than by using the buttons.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Ok I debated and made lists and whatnot - the offers I found for both cameras run out on the 31st. In the end I went for the Panasonic GF3 with kit lens for £300 (new, jessops are doing a cashback deal, amazon have it for £340). Partly because I really want that touch screen and Pinpoint AF for when I shove my nikon lenses on it and make it a telescope, and partly because I will look at that NEX C3 every day and will know it's not the 5N with the features I really want.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Medusula posted:

Ok I debated and made lists and whatnot - the offers I found for both cameras run out on the 31st. In the end I went for the Panasonic GF3 with kit lens for £300 (new, jessops are doing a cashback deal, amazon have it for £340). Partly because I really want that touch screen and Pinpoint AF for when I shove my nikon lenses on it and make it a telescope, and partly because I will look at that NEX C3 every day and will know it's not the 5N with the features I really want.
I think you did fine, now go out there and have fun with it. Hopefully you're not like me where you'll just be haunted by that 5n until you finally break down and get it, otherwise it's just that old chestnut about buying right or buying twice. Just remember that the best camera is the one that's with you.

And for the love of god, you have no excuse to not get the Panasonic 20/1.7, it's a FANTASTIC piece of glass.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Unfortunately I'm in a holding pattern till the new fujufilm system camera hits so no new lenses for me until we find out just how good it is :( if it's rubbish then I may sell all the gear and go sony NEX 7 in a year or so when they UK prices go (on my granny's pricing scale) from "Good God! That's extortionate" to "ooh that's a bit steep are you sure?"

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't think that post could possibly be any more English.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
I had a yard of Jaffa cakes on my knee while typing it...

(co-op food hall are selling them for £2.50)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

krackmonkey posted:

And for the love of god, you have no excuse to not get the Panasonic 20/1.7, it's a FANTASTIC piece of glass.
The Olympus 45mm f1.8 is also a must have.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm working on a NEX flash to hot shoe adapter of a sort. Kind of kludgy but different from what people have put together so far. Same principle, different look. Just ordered the parts so it'll be a while.

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking
Hey guys, I just got a NEX 5k with the 18-55mm lens. I'm looking around for a couple of good in expensive lenses. I know that this means no auto focus.

I've seen the Canon FD 50/1.8 SC for about $50 and I love the Idea of a 50mm lens. But do you guys have any other recommendations?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Amazon has a batch of refurbs or returned Nex5ns for sale right now, prices starting at 527.01.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005IHAIMA/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerf Herder posted:

Hey guys, I just got a NEX 5k with the 18-55mm lens. I'm looking around for a couple of good in expensive lenses. I know that this means no auto focus.

I've seen the Canon FD 50/1.8 SC for about $50 and I love the Idea of a 50mm lens. But do you guys have any other recommendations?

I made a post about MF lenses in the Sony thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19

Scroll to the bottom.