Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Well, I was talking more about the interior/other crap on the inside; the exterior on the 757 was brand spanking new in the new United/Continental paint scheme with the Continental globe on the back (the interior, not so much)...but I'm sure your (former) steed is more than a little beat up on the interior as well.

Fun fact: The first two E-3As (71-1407 & 71-1408) were built with airliner fuselages, complete with windows down the sides. Obviously that wouldn't do, so a panel was fitted into the sides to cover where the windows used to be. I can't find a picture that shows it, but you can clearly see it if you run across these jets at an airshow or something. The other E-3s were purpose-built with windowless fuselages.

1407 is my favorite E-3. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Fun fact: The first two E-3As (71-1407 & 71-1408) were built with airliner fuselages, complete with windows down the sides. Obviously that wouldn't do, so a panel was fitted into the sides to cover where the windows used to be. I can't find a picture that shows it, but you can clearly see it if you run across these jets at an airshow or something. The other E-3s were purpose-built with windowless fuselages.

1407 is my favorite E-3. :)

Mine's 0007. She was the jet I had while deployed. Solid as a rock.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

737 extreme drifting action http://www.vgtv.no/#id=37621

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 24, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I love it when dudes start talking about specific tail numbers...the best is when you get a bunch of fighter crew chiefs (bonus points if they all have southern accents) splooshing over some ancient Guard jets here for an exercise and reminiscing about how they worked on all of them once upon a time at Eglin or some drat place and which ones are sweet tails and which ones suck.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

iyaayas01 posted:

I love it when dudes start talking about specific tail numbers...the best is when you get a bunch of fighter crew chiefs (bonus points if they all have southern accents) splooshing over some ancient Guard jets here for an exercise and reminiscing about how they worked on all of them once upon a time at Eglin or some drat place and which ones are sweet tails and which ones suck.

Well you have to realize that they spend more time with those jets with their families sometimes so you get to know the nuances of each airframe. I can still remember what jets had what problems on the line at Kadena. Balls-12 electrical system, 5105 ECS, 8548's #2 hydro system liked to leak... It's one of those idiosyncrasies of crew chiefs.

Oh and 4043 was/is the best F-15D in the fleet :colbert:

It was also the one whose nose strut snapped in half when the pilot took a turn too fast while taxiing. I'll have to dig out the pictures I have from that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

Jets have personalities and some are righteous shitheads.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Well I was being mostly serious when I said I love it...I roll my eyes a little bit just because a sentimental crew chief moment like that is usually followed by a rant about how crew chiefs should run the entire AF, but all those points are completely valid and I really wasn't trying to be too sarcastic.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh and 4043 was/is the best F-15D in the fleet :colbert:

I'll have to ask the F-15 crew chief I work with for the tail number of the -D model he was the DCC on way back when down at Eglin, supposed that was the best -D in the fleet.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It was also the one whose nose strut snapped in half when the pilot took a turn too fast while taxiing. I'll have to dig out the pictures I have from that.

Haha, I wish I'd taken pictures of the Kadena jet that was sitting alert up here over the summer and had one of the main struts collapse on him as he was taxiing out...fully loaded with fuel and live missiles/ammo. IIRC the tank that was mounted on that side ruptured, and last time I checked that jet was still sitting on jacks in a hangar. Whoopsies. Never did hear what caused the mishap.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Well I was being mostly serious when I said I love it...I roll my eyes a little bit just because a sentimental crew chief moment like that is usually followed by a rant about how crew chiefs should run the entire AF, but all those points are completely valid and I really wasn't trying to be too sarcastic.

I'll have to ask the F-15 crew chief I work with for the tail number of the -D model he was the DCC on way back when down at Eglin, supposed that was the best -D in the fleet.

Haha, I wish I'd taken pictures of the Kadena jet that was sitting alert up here over the summer and had one of the main struts collapse on him as he was taxiing out...fully loaded with fuel and live missiles/ammo. IIRC the tank that was mounted on that side ruptured, and last time I checked that jet was still sitting on jacks in a hangar. Whoopsies. Never did hear what caused the mishap.

I bet I know what happened...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HeyEng posted:

Jets have personalities and some are righteous shitheads.

83-0009. Last US E-3 off the line, biggest steaming pile of poo poo. I really believe that jet will be involved in a fatality before the E-3 goes to the boneyard.
Some of its escapades: 7 generators fail over Bagdad (the other doesn't kick offline like it should've), which led to a month of maintenance pulling out their hair and swapping almost the entire electrical system to no avail before AFCENT kicked that shitheap back to the States...electrical arcing in the flight deck causing a high speed abort that fused the brakes and shut down the Langley flight line for hours until equipment could be trucked in from NAS Norfolk...the emergency slide blew away in the loving wind...the usual engine shutdowns and whatnot, naturally.

There are 2 jets I love. The aforementioned 1407, and I feel bad because I can't remember if the other is 0556 or 0558. We had that jet in the desert at the same time as 0009, and it loving flew like a CHAMP. Almost daily, the entire deployment. 0009 went home in its place, and stayed for the rest of our duration and kicked rear end. I don't think we were ever late or home early because of problems on that tail. I'll have to check my logbook at home to see which one it was.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 25, 2011

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

83-0009. Last US E-3 off the line, biggest steaming pile of poo poo. I really believe that jet will be involved in a fatality before the E-3 goes to the boneyard.
Some of its escapades: 7 generators fail over Bagdad (the other doesn't kick offline like it should've), which led to a month of maintenance pulling out their hair and swapping almost the entire electrical system to no avail before AFCENT kicked that shitheap back to the States...electrical arcing in the flight deck causing a high speed abort that fused the brakes and shut down the Langley flight line for hours until equipment could be trucked in from NAS Norfolk...the emergency slide blew away in the loving wind...the usual engine shutdowns and whatnot, naturally.

There are 2 jets I love. The aforementioned 1407, and I feel bad because I can't remember if the other is 0556 or 0558. We had that jet in the desert at the same time as 0009, and it loving flew like a CHAMP. Almost daily, the entire deployment. 0009 went home in its place, and stayed for the rest of our duration and kicked rear end. I don't think we were ever late or home early because of problems on that tail. I'll have to check my logbook at home to see which one it was.

I know the FE from that. Was he an FTU instructor at some point?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Apologies if this is old news, but North Pole traversing-routes have been approved, pending ETOPS-330(?) certification for airlines.

quote:

The first airline to take advantage of the relaxed restrictions is Air New Zealand, which operates across the Pacific. The airline's chief pilot, Captain David Morgan, said: "Less fuel is burned and less carbon dioxide is emitted into the atmosphere. It's also good for customers."

The Boeing 787 is expected soon to be ETOPS-330 certified, with Airbus seeking the same for its big twin jet – coincidentally named the A330.

Not everyone in aviation is happy with the relaxation of restrictions. While it is generally accepted that dual engine failure is extremely unlikely, some safety experts express concern about cabin conditions during a diversion.

Please share more reminiscences about your previous jets though, it's fun to read. Merry Christmas as well fellow aerogoons! :toot:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HeyEng posted:

I know the FE from that. Was he an FTU instructor at some point?

I *think* I know who it was, but I'm not sure. Both of those were a few years back (but that jet is still at the top of everyone's poo poo list, because it hasn't gotten its act together). I wasn't on the crew for either incident, but I was one of the lucky ones who went to Langley to bring it home (a month later), and I put up with its poo poo on several flights in the desert before AFCENT gave up on it (lots of generator failures and other electrical problems, but fortunately nothing as catastrophic as the first incident). I do remember the pilot that had it over Baghdad though. He's at Kadena now.

Edit: For those curious about the generator thing: The E-3 has 8 electrical generators, 2 per engine. The radar needs a certain number of them to be operational to function. Obviously we'd like to have them all, but we can lose a few and still run the radar. If we lose too many, the radar is supposed to shut down to avoid overloading the remaining generators. So when this aircraft lost 7 of the 8, the radar continued to try to draw massive amounts of energy, and fried the remaining generator. All electrical power went out except batteries. The crew got some of the generators back up, fortunately.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 25, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

Please share more reminiscences about your previous jets though, it's fun to read.

Seconding this, because I really do enjoy hearing about it even if I am mentally rolling my eyes a bit at those of you that are crew chiefs. :v:

Sarkazein v2.0
Feb 19, 2001

All aboard the fiery inferno of Death!
Our airline has second hand aircraft purchased from US Airways. I'd really like to talk tail numbers with some of their mechanics to see which airframes were the dogs and which were the gods.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sarkazein v2.0 posted:

Our airline has second hand aircraft purchased from US Airways. I'd really like to talk tail numbers with some of their mechanics to see which airframes were the dogs and which were the gods.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they sold the dogs.

Sarkazein v2.0
Feb 19, 2001

All aboard the fiery inferno of Death!
Actually they retired the entire fleet. Parked them in the desert and we got a bargain.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Seconding this, because I really do enjoy hearing about it even if I am mentally rolling my eyes a bit at those of you that are crew chiefs. :v:

I'll try to remember some of my crew chief stories even thought do think most of them end with "and that's why crew chiefs should run the air force :911:"

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Speaking from the commercial, rather than military side, I'll say you can already tell which aircraft are dogs as soon as they roll off the assembly line. I always thought that with the thousands of components, it would average out that each aircraft would have about the same total number of snags, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Some sail through production flight testing, while others fight you right up to customer delivery.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Understeer posted:

Speaking from the commercial, rather than military side, I'll say you can already tell which aircraft are dogs as soon as they roll off the assembly line. I always thought that with the thousands of components, it would average out that each aircraft would have about the same total number of snags, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Some sail through production flight testing, while others fight you right up to customer delivery.

There's always arguments at the school I instruct at about which birds everyone wants to fly and the ones no one wants to touch. Gives dispatch headaches, and they sent out a cheery christmas email that included the line "Fly planes in the priority that they appear, not by which one is the favorite of you or your students :) "

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
My grandfather Managed, built and flew dc-3's from the first to the last prop driven. He was the biggest influence in my life so much so I decided to do this.

Later on, my grandfather worked on the x-3, was a consultant on the thor missile, and his final project was the planning stages for the DC-10.

his influence has been the guiding force for just about everything in my life.

(RIP Liberty Belle)

the saddest thing is that i have never flown in a dc-3. Ive been on a constant lookout for years about dc-3 flights in or around los angeles.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 27, 2011

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

LobsterboyX posted:

My grandfather Managed, built and flew dc-3's from the first to the last prop driven. He was the biggest influence in my life so much so I decided to do this.

Later on, my grandfather worked on the x-3, was a consultant on the thor missile, and his final project was the planning stages for the DC-10.

his influence has been the guiding force for just about everything in my life.

(RIP Liberty Belle)

the saddest thing is that i have never flown in a dc-3. Ive been on a constant lookout for years about dc-3 flights in or around los angeles.

From what I've been told the one we have left at Skydive Elsinore is going to the Planes of Fame in Chino. Not sure what the timeline is on that however. She needs a lot of work. If one flies in for a boogie or something I'll drop you a PM. You can sign up for an observer flight (usually).

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Id love that. Do you know about the one that planes of fame already has?

IIRC, it was a c-47 that was turned in to a 3 after the war and put in to service as an airliner.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
I don't. I still haven't made it to Chino to check out that facility. They have another field in Virginia that I went to last year. Mind was blown.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
I thought this made enough of an impression to share:

http://youtu.be/rJu2njFgSN8

:gizz:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godholio posted:

F-4s could get off a ramp deck? :monocle:

Perhaps you should look into who invented the steam catapult and angled flight deck.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dr JonboyG posted:

Perhaps you should look into who invented the steam catapult and angled flight deck.

That has nothing to do with what I said? I was surprised that the heavy- and ungainly-as gently caress F-4 could get up. Nothing to do with who was operating it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Not quite on topic, but if you enjoyed that amazing R/C plane you will enjoy this, and I had to share.

Hand-built 12cc V12

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dr JonboyG posted:

As well as the optical landing system! :eng101:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Incredibly informative video on missile guidance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1ktRjeOuI

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Boomerjinks posted:

Incredibly informative video on missile guidance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1ktRjeOuI
That was fantastic.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not quite on topic, but if you enjoyed that amazing R/C plane you will enjoy this, and I had to share.

Hand-built 12cc V12
That is a work of art.

Here is one that actually runs under its own power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VI5x2hZNJs

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
If we're discussing model engines it would be a sin to not mention Per Gillbrand. He's the guy behind Saab's original turbo engine and since he retired he has built many (I'd guess 20+) replicas of famous engines. Some are driven with air and some can be run with fuel.

Weyron W16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-DijdisWkAE#t=136s

Merlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jJCQFqlaCVQ#t=327s

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Flew on this guy from DEN to SEA today:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dr. Klas posted:

If we're discussing model engines it would be a sin to not mention Per Gillbrand. He's the guy behind Saab's original turbo engine and since he retired he has built many (I'd guess 20+) replicas of famous engines. Some are driven with air and some can be run with fuel.

Weyron W16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-DijdisWkAE#t=136s

Merlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jJCQFqlaCVQ#t=327s

Nice. Damnit, *this* is what she should have been building in shop class.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
11 pages (full of photos) of a crew in Germany restoring. . .

Spitfires, Mustangs, Yaks, FW-190, BF-109, Corsair, and a few others.
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=104523

Assuming this hasn't been posted already, click the poo poo out of that link to see photos of awesome WWII aircraft, some replicas, and pictures of areas of the aircraft you will not see anywhere else.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

iyaayas01 posted:

This is so much better looking than the current ugly United + Continental livery.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Blistex posted:

11 pages (full of photos) of a crew in Germany restoring. . .

Spitfires, Mustangs, Yaks, FW-190, BF-109, Corsair, and a few others.
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=104523

Assuming this hasn't been posted already, click the poo poo out of that link to see photos of awesome WWII aircraft, some replicas, and pictures of areas of the aircraft you will not see anywhere else.

Holy poo poo that collection (and the work they are doing) is jaw-dropping!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

That is a slick as gently caress livery.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SwimNurd posted:

This is so much better looking than the current ugly United + Continental livery.

Yeah, I agree...I don't really hate the new livery (although the all caps UNITED doesn't really fit) but that friendship livery is pretty slick. Personally I always liked the battleship grey.

HeyEng posted:

That is a slick as gently caress livery.

I was sitting directly in front of it when I saw it pull up and went :raise:, so I went around to the side and figured it was some sort of throwback scheme. They had a little plaque near the boarding door that explained the history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godholio posted:

That has nothing to do with what I said? I was surprised that the heavy- and ungainly-as gently caress F-4 could get up. Nothing to do with who was operating it.

Apologies if I got the wrong impression. These should make up for it:

USS Lexington by Dr JonboyG, on Flickr