Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cosmicjim posted:

HOARDING IS A DISEASE. DON'T JUDGE ME. Seriously, though. I can't pass up a bargain.

But it's not a bargain if you don't actually need whatever the thing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I posted this in the beatles thread, but didn't get any responses, so thought maybe you guys would have more of a clue about these. I just got them from my local record guy, I can't find anything out about that particular version of the Beatles in Hamburg and the Renaissance Minstrels is just a bootleg made in the 70's of some demos/unfinished versions of songs for Let It Be, the vinyl for it in the picture is actually a royal blue, but the picture doesn't really show it.

Anyone have any more info on these?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

screaden posted:

Anyone have any more info on these?

All I can tell you about the Hamburg disc is that it is made in Australia, as Summit was an Australian distributor, in this case of a Karussell record. Karussell and Summit were legit labels, so I think that it is more of a localised version than a flat out boot. What is the content, early recordings, a concert?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

All I can tell you about the Hamburg disc is that it is made in Australia, as Summit was an Australian distributor, in this case of a Karussell record. Karussell and Summit were legit labels, so I think that it is more of a localised version than a flat out boot. What is the content, early recordings, a concert?

It's a live recording, though I haven't actually listened yet. Cat No. is SRA 250-550, track listing is:

Side one:
1. Ain't She Sweet
2. Cry For A Shadow
3. Let's Dance
4. My Bonnie
5. If You Love Me, Baby
6. What'd I Say

Side Two
1. Sweet Georgia Brown
2, The Saints
3. Ruby Baby
4. Why
5. Nobody's Child
6. All My Love - Ya Ya

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MokBa posted:

I just can't believe anyone can have so many turntables all stacked on top of each other like that! There's not a single shop in my state that even has that many for sale.

I learned the hard way that not all record players are stackable. Or, more precisely, not all dust covers. :(

On a tangentially related note, does anyone have a spare set of dust cover hinges and/or hinge brackets for a Philips 777? The cover itself is original and in surprisingly good nick but some fool has taken the hinges out - I have no idea why since there's absolutely no possibility of it having been used for DJing. I actually have another, piece-of-poo poo Philips that I could scavenge for the twisty metal bits that go in the holes but the loving brackets are different.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
RECORDS!

Got Bear In Heaven - Beast Rest Forth Mouth on red vinyl because it's a fantastic album.
Also got my hands a clear vinyl copy of Starfucker - Reptilian by sheer luck from Discogs. Cheap too! Terrific album.

Finally bought Gareth Liddiard - Strange Tourist who is my favorite artist so it's about time I got the vinyl release seeing as it's been out for over a year. Incredibly moving acoustic songs.
Totally related to that is The Drones - A Thousand Mistakes which is his band. This is a live compilation album that somehow chooses to include neither Jezebel nor The City, my two favorite songs :argh:

Managed to get Electric Six - Heartbeats And Brainwaves, a tour only vinyl release of their latest album. Had to pay 50 bucks for it seeing as there's no way I'd get it any other way. Worth every penny though. Love this album.
Also got The Ivory Coast - Clouds. Why? It had a couple of good songs and was/is a whopping $3.60 on Polyvinyl records. It's pretty good, actually. Definitely 4 bucks good.

One of my favorite albums of this year, Blessed Feathers - From The Mouths Of The Middle Class, came on limited to 500 copies white vinyl with a poster and the album on cd. Rockin'. Unlike the music which is beautiful and sweet.
Last but not least, Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica. Stunning album, but I'm pissed off that I got the second pressing on black vinyl (which I didn't know existed) instead of the limited white vinyl edition.
I'm a sucker for coloured vinyl V :) V

Now what's keeping my NMH boxset!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone know if the Disc 2 of the In Rainbows Special Edikon was ever put on Vinyl? I'd love to have songs like MK2, Last Flowers, Down is the New Up and Bangers and Mash on Vinyl. Some of my favorite Radiohead songs.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

WASDF posted:

Anyone know if the Disc 2 of the In Rainbows Special Edikon was ever put on Vinyl? I'd love to have songs like MK2, Last Flowers, Down is the New Up and Bangers and Mash on Vinyl. Some of my favorite Radiohead songs.

No, it wasn't.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Were singles ever made for In Rainbows other than digitally? Cause I think some of those songs were on those singles.

Nevermind! Found out that they were all released on 7" singles

Nevermind, again! Those songs were only on the CD version of the singles :(

WASDF fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 24, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Only got my NMH boxset on the 22nd, so I'm sure those who don't have them are getting them soon. Speaking of which, I usually hate picture discs, but the Holland, 1945/Engine 7inch is really cool looking.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Could you take some pictures? I haven't seen any shots of anything from that box set yet and I'm very excited to see it.

I got myself a turn table yesterday. Thought I should start doing this whole "vinyls" thing.

It's a Thorens TD 165 from 1979. The speakers are nothing fancy, I just picked them up cause I needed some speakers. For my first purchases, I got:

Battles - Gloss Drop
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

and I was visiting my friends in Arizona where I used to live and found some of my mom's old records too.

Soundgarden - Screaming Life EP (first pressing!)
Soundgarden - Loud Love EP
Soundgarden - Flower EP
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - Some Have to Dance Some Have to Kill EP
The Cure - Fascination Street

WASDF fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 24, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I can probably post some tomorrow, but to be honest the website probably did a better job than I ever could. I can take a picture of the b-side if you want to see that.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Ah, I thought it would've came in some fancy box.

How long do you think it will be on sale for? I really want to get one, but I don't have any money, nor will I for quite some time :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

Could you take some pictures? I haven't seen any shots of anything from that box set yet and I'm very excited to see it.

I got myself a turn table yesterday. Thought I should start doing this whole "vinyls" thing.

It's a Thorens TD 165 from 1979. The speakers are nothing fancy, I just picked them up cause I needed some speakers. For my first purchases, I got:

Battles - Gloss Drop
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

and I was visiting my friends in Arizona where I used to live and found some of my mom's old records too.

Soundgarden - Flower EP

Don't stack albums like that.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Any Fruit Bats fans should be happy to know that Echolocation is getting a limited repress. You can order it from Jealous Butcher Records. http://www.jealousbutcher.com/catalog/jbcatframes.html

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

WASDF posted:

Soundgarden - Flower EP

I'm in love with your mom....

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Don't stack albums like that.

'kay - I'm gonna find something to hold them in soon.

JBRONSON
Dec 25, 2011
my gf is currently in the usa and has been shopping at amoeba records. its not fair, your records are so much cheaper then Australia haha

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

WASDF posted:

How long do you think it will be on sale for? I really want to get one, but I don't have any money, nor will I for quite some time :(

It DOES come in a box, actually. Not very fancy, just a normal record box kinda thing. Also I think they're gonna be on sale for awhile, nowhere does it say they're limited. Maybe they're printing them as they get more orders, idk.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

JBRONSON posted:

my gf is currently in the usa and has been shopping at amoeba records. its not fair, your records are so much cheaper then Australia haha

Which Amoeba store?

JBRONSON
Dec 25, 2011

Floodixor posted:

Which Amoeba store?
she was at the Hollywood one the otherday.
picked up some girls, margrudergrind, burzum, chealsea wolfe.

its about $28 for a new lp. and $35 for doubles in Australia. pretty poo poo

JBRONSON fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 25, 2011

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JBRONSON posted:

Does amoeba have a section for used vinyl? I've only been there for used CD's

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

krnhotwings posted:

Does amoeba have a section for used vinyl? I've only been there for used CD's
I went to the Berkeley one a year back and they had a vinyl section, but I don't know if any of the other stores do. I assume they do.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

JBRONSON posted:

Where the hell are you finding prices like those? All my locals have new release LPs for roughly $39-$59 depending who it's from.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Cover of the box:

Fancy side:

Sticker on the back:

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Amoeba in Hollywood is a great place to get lots of old house and trance records for 50 cents

JBRONSON
Dec 25, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Where the hell are you finding prices like those? All my locals have new release LPs for roughly $39-$59 depending who it's from.

in Melbourne

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

WASDF posted:

Soundgarden - Flower EP

I'm not even in my thirties yet, but someone's mom owning Soundgarden records makes me feel old.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
BBC Radio 6 are having a All Vinyl day on the 1st January:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16330702

Should be interesting (although I think every day should be Vinyl Day)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Got a record player for christmas! :woop:

Now I just need to find some good vinyl.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Selling my receiver and X-posting this from the Boston thread (would rather not have to ship this that's all):

We upgraded over xmas and so my Onkyo TX-8255 needs a new home. Asking $150. It has a decent built in phono pre amp.

Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120128

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Funny, I would have been interested but I got a TX-8211 yesterday.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Tiny Faye posted:

Selling my receiver and X-posting this from the Boston thread (would rather not have to ship this that's all):

We upgraded over xmas and so my Onkyo TX-8255 needs a new home. Asking $150. It has a decent built in phono pre amp.

Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120128

Since this isn't SAmart, I feel completely justified in busting your balls for that price, for a private sell that wouldn't have ebay fees in our beloved vinyl thread, since it auctions for less shipped on ebay. Merry Christmas;) It is a nice receiver.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

cosmicjim posted:

Since this isn't SAmart, I feel completely justified in busting your balls for that price, for a private sell that wouldn't have ebay fees in our beloved vinyl thread, since it auctions for less shipped on ebay. Merry Christmas;) It is a nice receiver.

It's just the asking price. I'm pretty flexible, especially for folks who are willing to do local pick up.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

WASDF posted:

Soundgarden - Flower EP
Nice first table, and your mom is cool. If she unearths anymore records feel free to arrange her to drop them off at my place :cool:

FYI keeping your table on the same surface as your speakers and on the same flimsy (no offense just TT stands can be super heavy for audiophile types) stand as your receiver can lead to a lot of added noise. It might be enough to get speaker stands and keep them off that entertainment center, but you also might want to get a waist-height turntable stand or mount it on a shelf thats set in studs in the wall above that unit. You can also ignore the unsolicited advice, but if you get a lot of extra hum or a testy tonearm that's prone to skipping, one of the faults might be that.

Welcome to the nerd club.

Went to DC with family, picked up

NME - Unholy Death (OG..)
Television Personalities - They Could Have Been Bigger Than The Beatles (repress)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but if I'm setting up a DJ booth for a party, what's the best way to prevent bass feedback through the turntable? Assume that the subwoofers are close to the turntables and this is not avoidable. I know it's doable because I've seen it done many times before.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The turntable that I have is a dual phono out (red and white). The speakers that I want to hook it up to are computer desktop speakers that have a 1/8" male headphone connector.

I picked up a FtM phono to 1/8" connector and paired it with a FtF 1/8" connector. Is that the best I'm going to be able to do?

I just want to make sure I won't be losing much, if any, fidelity and that it stays in stereo.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

the posted:

The turntable that I have is a dual phono out (red and white). The speakers that I want to hook it up to are computer desktop speakers that have a 1/8" male headphone connector.

I picked up a FtM phono to 1/8" connector and paired it with a FtF 1/8" connector. Is that the best I'm going to be able to do?

I just want to make sure I won't be losing much, if any, fidelity and that it stays in stereo.
Are you trying to plug the speakers directly into the turntable? You need a phono preamp unless you intend to listen very quietly

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Farts Domino posted:

Are you trying to plug the speakers directly into the turntable? You need a phono preamp unless you intend to listen very quietly

Yes, I was. I didn't realize I needed one. Is that the actual name of the type of product I should be looking for? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

the posted:

Yes, I was. I didn't realize I needed one. Is that the actual name of the type of product I should be looking for? Thanks.
Yeah, they're pretty inexpensive, you can check amazon.

A lot of us use receivers because they're built-in. And I'm guessing those speakers are powered and have a volume control, right?