Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why did Jeff Hardy get fired in 2003? I heard he went into business for himself in some ladder match or something, but I think I just read that off a dirtsheet or something back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Drugs. Lots of drugs.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
So I was watching the new King of the Ring dvd, which is completely awesome by the way, and hosted by Booker T in his king persona. But one thing that really stuck out to me as the first match (Bret Hart vs Bam Bam Bigelow, King of the Ring 1993) started to play.

Bobby Heenan, JR, and Macho Man behind the announce desk.
Greatest announce team or what? Man they were on fire. How long did this 3 man pairing last on air?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember Jeff blowing spots lef right and centre before he got fired, which is alo why he got booed in ROH, he tried to do his rail walk and fell on his rear end. I also remember he was Raven's last match in WWE, and even people who hate Raven's work were like "Man, Raven tried to hold that match together, but it sucked because of Jeff blowing spots." And it totally did.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember Jeff blowing spots lef right and centre before he got fired, which is alo why he got booed in ROH, he tried to do his rail walk and fell on his rear end. I also remember he was Raven's last match in WWE, and even people who hate Raven's work were like "Man, Raven tried to hold that match together, but it sucked because of Jeff blowing spots." And it totally did.

Wasn't there a match at some point during this Hardy era that Rico was calling him out for loving up spots during the match so loudly that the mics picked up on it? Like he was going for a swanton and facing the wrong direction and then just kept going up and down the ropes and never did anything?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I don't know about that but I do know Rico was on the top rope at Survivor Series 2002 and had to yell "COME ON JEFF, GOD DAMNIT!!!" because he was supposed to be knocked off the turnbuckle.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ivg4gfB8YU

Rico yells at Jeff who was probably drugged out of his mind.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

budreck posted:

Ahahahah yes. That's what it was.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

budreck posted:

:stare: That was not on my DVD

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Rarity posted:

:stare: That was not on my DVD

it was edited out of dvd release

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I remember a Jeff Hardy vs D'Lo Brown match on Heat where Jeff somehow managed to botch a roll-up.

Fake Edit: Found it. It was a sunset flip. Skip to 3:50.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jeff Hardy in 2011 had a match against Tetsuya Naito in the Tokyo Dome in which he proceeded to botch within a minute (and then have a p. bad match).

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

That was a really sad time for Raven in general - he was working his rear end off (i.e. bumping and not being lazy) and even changed his look around to show Vince what kind of shape he'd gotten into, and they just fired him anyway because he couldn't make the right political connections.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

I remember Jeff blowing spots lef right and centre before he got fired, which is alo why he got booed in ROH, he tried to do his rail walk and fell on his rear end.
He was getting booed during his entrance, and I remember the commentators even remarking on that but attributing it to a line in his book where he'd said that he'd lost his passion for the business.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

HulkaMatt posted:

Jeff Hardy in 2011 had a match against Tetsuya Naito in the Tokyo Dome in which he proceeded to botch within a minute (and then have a p. bad match).

He also didn't put Naito over at the press conference (while bitching he wanted to face Liger) and, stupidest of all, he burned his own rear end filming a stunt for the Hardy Show jumping over an open flame a couple of days before flying to Japan.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 25, 2011

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think it was 03 as he was on his way out, but HBK and Jeff Hardy tagged against Jericho and Christian for a summer which was really fun even though Jeff blew most of his spots. Also they did a handcuff spot every week it seemed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CombineThresher posted:

That was a really sad time for Raven in general - he was working his rear end off (i.e. bumping and not being lazy) and even changed his look around to show Vince what kind of shape he'd gotten into, and they just fired him anyway because he couldn't make the right political connections.

I've always wondered how many people called Raven "Scotty" or "Johnny" in the WWE locker room.

Kind of like how Cornette calls Mick "Cactus" because he met him in WCW...

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Johnny Polo was the second greatest color man in the history of the business!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZYRGMen_PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koas0mOsmzE

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

Bocc Kob posted:

Johnny Polo was the second greatest color man in the history of the business!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZYRGMen_PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koas0mOsmzE

I loving lost it at "Underweartaker"

drat man this man was entertaining behind the desk.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

I've always wondered how many people called Raven "Scotty" or "Johnny" in the WWE locker room.

Kind of like how Cornette calls Mick "Cactus" because he met him in WCW...

"Scotty" is pretty common among ECW guys. I imagine guys like Sandman call him "Johnny Polo" when they're giving him poo poo.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CombineThresher posted:

He changed his look because Vince preferred tights and he wanted to make him happy.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

He changed his look because Vince preferred tights and he wanted to make him happy.

True! But I think he also specifically wanted to show off his legs, hence the trunks.

To quote Tommy Dreamer, it's not gay - it's pro wrestling.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'm positive I remember Miz saying he switched to trunks because Vince wanted to see his legs too...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bocc Kob posted:

I'm positive I remember Miz saying he switched to trunks because Vince wanted to see his legs too...

There is a joke in there about the length of hemlines in times of economical crisis, but I can't quite put it into words.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

Bocc Kob posted:

Same thing with Jericho too. Vince has a fetish for fresh strong quad meat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

PoO3 posted:

quote:

To quote Tommy Dreamer, it's not gay - it's pro wrestling.

the Tommy Dreamer episode of Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast was pretty awesome, gotta say.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

Yeah, I think this was the RAW where he was the Calgary Kid. He was in trunks backstage and Vince walked by, stopped, turned back to him and said something like "with legs like that, you shouldn't be wearing full-length pants in the ring." Obviously I don't remember the actual quote.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tzirean posted:

Yeah, I think this was the RAW where he was the Calgary Kid. He was in trunks backstage and Vince walked by, stopped, turned back to him and said something like "with legs like that, you shouldn't be wearing full-length pants in the ring." Obviously I don't remember the actual quote.

Obviously Vince don't think much of Cena's gams.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

PoO3 posted:

Oh, dear GOD, why would you put that image in my head. :gonk:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Edwardian posted:

Oh, dear GOD, why would you put that image in my head. :gonk:

We're talking about a man who wrote himself into a storyline wherein grown men had to kiss his bare rear end live on television. Not only that, but he shined his rear end with a shoe buffer. Him being a leg man is one of the tamer aspects of Vince's pathology.

John XIII
Dec 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I will always think highly of Vince for allowing his sweet daughter Stephanie to go out there and get humilated every week.

Hawt!

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

CombineThresher posted:

We're talking about a man who wrote himself into a storyline wherein grown men had to kiss his bare rear end live on television. Not only that, but he shined his rear end with a shoe buffer. Him being a leg man is one of the tamer aspects of Vince's pathology.

True. Didn't he also want to write himself into the storyline as Steph's Babydaddy?

Somewhere, forensic psychiatrists would have a field day with Vince.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Thank you for this.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

It wasn't a shoe buffer, it was a handheld buffer like for cars.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It wasn't a shoe buffer, it was a handheld buffer like for cars.

The fact of the matter is this man had his rear end buffed and that in and of itself is creepy.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
With the WWE network coming online, they will want to fill as much airtime as possible so I imagine there will be shows devoted exclusively to their video library of the other promotions they have rights to. I'd order it for an ECW show, even better if they put it on week-ends at some crazy time.

My question is, with the floodgate of all this material, how are the preformers featured on the matches compensated, if at all?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

KildarX posted:

The fact of the matter is this man had his rear end buffed and that in and of itself is creepy.

I wish that was the gimmick Burchill tried to emulate.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

My question is, with the floodgate of all this material, how are the preformers featured on the matches compensated, if at all?

I'd assume they aren't since WWE owns the tape library.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It is a very small number of people that actually gets paid of WWE airs stuff with them.

Jesse Ventura is one of the few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KildarX posted:

Pretty sure a .gif of it was BigRed0247's avatar for quite some time, too, with the text of "Assume the party position!"