Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have never had that issue with Activator, is it a problem in 5.0+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strokemouth
Aug 10, 2004
.malapropist.

Feenix posted:

It's Activator, which is an integral part of SB Settings and many other JB things.

Thanks, but I don't have Activator installed. Aside from the normal bits that come with the jailbreak/Cydia, I've got BiteSMS, Five Icon Dock, and semitether. That's it.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
Cruised around the thread a bit and I didn't see much regarding this, I apologize if I missed something.

I have an iPhone 4 that I decided to update to 5.0.1 and jailbreak, since I'm okay with a tethered one. I still have the 01.59.00 baseband and preserved it with Snowbreeze. The jailbreak works fine; the only issue I have is that my signal bars were showing 1 bar all the time (now it shows 0 bars). I have found out that this is just a graphical glitch and my service/signal seems to be fine, but it'd be nice to know what my signal quality is really like. Since ultrasn0w hasn't been updated to 5.0.1 yet, am I out of options for fixing this?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Javid posted:

I have never had that issue with Activator, is it a problem in 5.0+?

No, it was a problem prior. It would take 2 or more home button presses a lot of times when my phone was jailbroken to register a press. (A lot of people report this.)

I believed the common theory/knowledge was that it was Activator... but even if not, I'm pretty positive it was something in the Jailbreak, because as bad as it was, when I unjailbroke my phone and restored it to default, it worked 100% of the time.

Then of course, there are legit home button mechanical issues. Those are rare but they do happen. My wife's 4's home button physically stopped working at all.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've restored to several older untethered jailbreaks on iPod touch 4. Each time when I start up the Cydia icon is white. I looked up online and it says just use the "Just boot" option and Cydia will start working. I do that and then I can open Cydia install something, like SBSettings for example, and then my iPod crashes and I need to restore. If I do the semitether on 5.0 or 5.0.1 I get get the white icon first, then I get Cydia working, and then almost every time I use the home button while the screen is black it freezes. Any suggestions on what to do here?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Does anyone else have a problem with biteSMS repeatedly showing an unread message when there isn't one? Rebooting several times or deleting the specific message in question usually works.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with biteSMS repeatedly showing an unread message when there isn't one? Rebooting several times or deleting the specific message in question usually works.

This seems to be fixed on the latest LockInfo, for me anyhow, are you updated?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

adm posted:

Yes, but I'm also running iOS 4.3.3 if that makes any difference.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

adm posted:

Chiming in to say the latest update has fixed this rather annoying bug.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Alright, going to un-Jailbreak a 3G it is on 4.2.1. Should I restore to 4.2.1 or iOs 5

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

The Downfall posted:

Alright, going to un-Jailbreak a 3G it is on 4.2.1. Should I restore to 4.2.1 or iOs 5

I'm pretty sure 4.2.1 is the latest you can update to on a 3G.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

m0isty posted:

I'm pretty sure 4.2.1 is the latest you can update to on a 3G.

Oh alright, nevermind then! Thank you

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Perhaps the good people in this thread can answer my question: Is there a b&w classic Mac OS skin for the iPad?

I don't really see any reason to jailbreak my iPad, but if there was one like this I might consider it because I get a strange boner for ye olde macs of yore.

Google does nothing for me or I'm stupid. Or both.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
So from the sounds of it we will have a un-tethered jailbreak for ipad 2 and 4s any day now... http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/2011/12/no-more-cache-troubles.html

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Anyone seen a jailbroken iphone with no App Store icon? I'm not sure how my friend was able to get it in this state, but in iTunes on her computer the apps options are greyed out and unclickable too. Everything else appears to work fine, it's a 4 on iOS 4.1.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Crime on a Dime posted:

Anyone seen a jailbroken iphone with no App Store icon? I'm not sure how my friend was able to get it in this state, but in iTunes on her computer the apps options are greyed out and unclickable too. Everything else appears to work fine, it's a 4 on iOS 4.1.

There are lots of Cydia apps that can hide icons willfully. Did she accidentally hit a slider in the sbsettings "hide icons" menu?

Edit: nm, it's early and I think you mean something weirder, like it doesn't even exist on the phone.

glompix fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 20, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Since apparently the 4S jailbreak is almost here, has anyone had to transfer purchases from one device to another before with Cydia?

I've spent at least a hundred bucks on apps on Cydia on my 3GS. From what I remember, most stuff purchased through Cydia just requires you to log into an account, and it downloads the apps then (no DRM).
I remember maybe some apps like BiteSMS and iBlacklist having their own separate licensing system.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I've never had a problem transferring stuff from Cydia for the most part. Most only require the Amazon/Gmail account you bought it with and its smooth. Providing you have the same phone number, biteSMS is smooth as well. iBlacklist is a pain and can be hit or miss. They try to get you to buy another license because its only '1 per device', plus English is not their first language and response times are slow.

I hope the jailbreak works with 5.0.1. My iPad2 has been updated via TU but I forgot to grab 5.0 on my 4S. :doh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

With the GV Exetensions you'll need to email the dev/support with your old phone IMEI(?) and the new device so he can transfer the license. I just plan to buy them again because gently caress if those apps haven't saved me hundreds of dollars by now but not having to get an unlimited texting plan.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a jailbreak app that tells me the time via vibration? I want to be able to reach in my pocket, flip the lock back and forth and have it "chime" the closest hour and quarter hour with vibrations, battery be damned.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bonzaisushi posted:

So from the sounds of it we will have a un-tethered jailbreak for ipad 2 and 4s any day now... http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/2011/12/no-more-cache-troubles.html
:sigh: oh those comments :( . I tossed him a €10 donation -- I just want MyWi back v:shobon:v

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a jailbreak app that tells me the time via vibration? I want to be able to reach in my pocket, flip the lock back and forth and have it "chime" the closest hour and quarter hour with vibrations, battery be damned.
Are you an international spy, super-villain, or just stuck in a lot of supid pointless meetings that go on seemingly forever in a room without a clock and looking at the time on your phone is verboten? But seriously, that's not a terrible idea, though probably with limited appeal.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

randyest posted:

stuck in a lot of supid pointless meetings that go on seemingly forever in a room without a clock and looking at the time on your phone is verboten? But seriously, that's not a terrible idea, though probably with limited appeal.

That and perfectly nice coworkers who can turn a 10 second question about our tax ID into a half hour conversation about their senile aunt with an eating disorder.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Aphasian posted:

That and perfectly nice coworkers who can turn a 10 second question about our tax ID into a half hour conversation about their senile aunt with an eating disorder.
Sorry man, I did some googling for you and I couldn't find anything. Can't you put your phone on the table in front of you and occasionally, surreptitiously turn on the screen for a sec? Hang a clock in the room? Or, of all things I thought I'd never say: wear a watch?

Failing that, I guess you could set alarms to vibrate every 15 minutes and count the vibrations? It would give you something to focus on to pass the time v:shobon:v

But I have to say the real solution is to get one of those apps that calculates how much it costs when x people making $y/hour are in a room doing nothing useful for z minutes and show the result to your boss. Estimate $y for co-workers as necessary. I did that once and showed my VP that we just spent ~$3000 (net, ~$6k gross company payroll expense) for 12 people to talk about a bunch of nothing for 2 hours. We now have strict agendas, time limits, and "effective meeting strategies." Not perfect, but better.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've heard that they sell these things called 'watches' that you put on your arm that you can look at to tell the time when you can't access a phone. Can't say I've tried one because that sounds like some crazy poo poo but you might want to look into it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

^^^That's like a wrist phone that doesn't make calls, right? Like a musicless ipod touch?

I have a few nice watches, but all of our conference rooms are of the arrangement that it is impossible to do much of anything without being in full view. I also wear a sweaters in the winter because I am a lazy slob who doesn't want to iron his shirts, and pushing up my sleeve to check my watch makes me feel melodramatic.

I used to just put my phone on the table to "check my schedule" every now and again, but it's not a blackberry so I'm obviously not checking work email or calendar. And my jerkass friends like to mms me inappropriate pictures.

Mostly, once I had the idea I really think it would be cool, especially for in the cinema/theater/weddings/funerals.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 21, 2011

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I have a quick question: I have an unlocked 4 and I travel internationally so it's crucial that I be able to swap out sim cards. After a year and a half, my iPhones getting laggy and stuff, it's still on OS 4.0. I never cared about updating, but now I can't even update to the latest version of the Awful app because it requires 4.3.

In my position, would you keep it as is to ensure the precious baseband unlock, or is there an easy way to update it to at least 4.3?

Edit: I guess what I actually want is a way to restore it without changing anything. I really just want to clear out the bugginess and lag. I didn't realise how bad it was until I used a friends iphone 4 on 4.3 and it was lightning fast with app switching and scrolling. I often have Safari freeze for half a minute at a time, with it also crashing to desktop half the time when that happens.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 21, 2011

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
So are any of those Siri clones any good? I'm mainly interested in it for dictating emails and text messages.

Also is 5.0.1 slower than 5.0? Me and a buddy both just recently jailbroke and his iPhone is a lot slower than mine. I was running 5.0 and just told the latest version of redsn0w to jailbreak. No restoring or anything.

He updated to 5.0.1 and jailbroke the fresh install and then restored his backup.

My phone is actually faster than pre-jailbreak which was a nice surprised. Infinity blade 2 is smooth as butter now.

We are both on iPhone 4 for the record.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

The Aphasian posted:

How about a screensaver showing the time?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

.Ataraxia. posted:

So are any of those Siri clones any good? I'm mainly interested in it for dictating emails and text messages.
No they're all scams that use a 4s credentials that have been shut off or will be soon. If you want good iphone voice integration, get a 4s. If you don't mind a bit of copy&paste hassle and lower-quality recognition, try apps "Dragon Dictation," "Dragon Go," or "Vlingo." They're all decent, but they're not Siri.

Dunno about the rest, my wife's JB'd 4 on 5.0 is plenty fast, and my stock 5.0 4S is blazing. Haven't tried 5.01 or the 5.1 beta.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

glompix posted:

There are lots of Cydia apps that can hide icons willfully. Did she accidentally hit a slider in the sbsettings "hide icons" menu?

Edit: nm, it's early and I think you mean something weirder, like it doesn't even exist on the phone.

Turns out it was even simpler, App Store disabled in restrictions.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So as an early gift, my parents gave me an Iphone 3GS since my mom upgraded to the 4s. All I want to do is use my sim card from T-mobile in this sucker so redsn0w is the way to go?

edit: Holy gently caress, not that any of my questions matter cause no I've tried at least 10 times to get the drat phone into DFU mode using various guys on youtube and google.

editedit: gently caress this garbage. It's easier to just transfer my number and get a new sim card. You win AT&T.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 23, 2011

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Mercedes posted:

So as an early gift, my parents gave me an Iphone 3GS since my mom upgraded to the 4s. All I want to do is use my sim card from T-mobile in this sucker so redsn0w is the way to go?

edit: Holy gently caress, not that any of my questions matter cause no I've tried at least 10 times to get the drat phone into DFU mode using various guys on youtube and google.

editedit: gently caress this garbage. It's easier to just transfer my number and get a new sim card. You win AT&T.

Seriously just be patient. Putting an iPhone in DFU mode is almost trivial once you've done it a couple of times. Just keep trying and be patient and you'll get it.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Mercedes posted:

Did the same thing with my girlfriend's phone. Free iPhone with cheap service loving owns. Loss of GPS sucks, but as long as you can figure out where you are it's alright. Also she has some issues with 3G, but a I hear re-jailbreaking fixes that.

When doing DFU mode, just estimate how long it took you to get started and offset it's instructions by that much time. Dunno what else to say since it's like 2 buttons. :shobon:

glompix fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 23, 2011

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If it's in a case, take it out, even if the case's buttons work they can gently caress up the timing just enough to make it not recognize the command.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Can someone help me out here, I'm not quite sure how to go about this. I'm on a iPhone 4 JB on 4.3.3 and I want to go back to stock 4.3.3 and then re-JB the phone. How the hell do I go about this process? I do have my SHSHs for this version.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hey, can someone point me toward a good step-by-step guide to changing icons on the iPhone 4?

I've got glasklart going as a theme, but not every app has a glasklart icon, and I'd like to go through and make the whole phone consistent.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=glasklart+icon+guide&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Adversary
Jun 9, 2007
Not sick, but not well
I recently received a used iPhone 3GS for Christmas — it's on iOS 3.1.3 , and it's baseband is 05.12.01. I've jailbroken and unlocked it so I can use it with my current phone provider, no problems so far.

However, I'm wondering is there any way to upgrade to iOS 4 or 5 and retain the ability to unlock, as there are a bunch of apps I can't use due to be on iOS 3. Any help would be much appreciated!

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Adversary posted:

I recently received a used iPhone 3GS for Christmas — it's on iOS 3.1.3 , and it's baseband is 05.12.01. I've jailbroken and unlocked it so I can use it with my current phone provider, no problems so far.

However, I'm wondering is there any way to upgrade to iOS 4 or 5 and retain the ability to unlock, as there are a bunch of apps I can't use due to be on iOS 3. Any help would be much appreciated!

When running redsn0w for 5.0(.1?), you can install the iPad baseband, which is unlockable. You lose gps, though. Look it up to make sure that's what you want, since it's irreversible for now.

e: whoops, didn't realize his current baseband was unlockable. :downs:

glompix fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

glompix posted:

When running redsn0w for 5.0(.1?), you can install the iPad baseband, which is unlockable. You lose gps, though. Look it up to make sure that's what you want, since it's irreversible for now.

He is already on a unlockable baseband so he doesn't need to deal with that crap.

First do not do what this person just said to do.

What you will need to do is use any of the jailbreak tools and make sure you check "do not update the baseband" in the options. You will be able to update to a newer iOS and it will remove the baseband update.

I would probably wait a little bit and hold out for a proper iOS 5 jailbreak, but most of the major tools have the option to not update the baseband.

• Locked thread