Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

PRADA SLUT posted:

What should I use to download YouTube videos in Lion?

The ClickToFlash extension gives you a right-click option to download video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Viktor posted:

One sidenote, found out and spent the day swapping my superdrive back in to install bootcamp. Kinda crappy the MBP EFI/bios has no support for USB or portable CD/DVD Windows installs. It will only work off of the internal superdrive without some serious vm trickery.

So no word on how to fix this reply issue? Its really annoying signing into gmail to handle all of it in-browser.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Viktor posted:

Yep even the late 2011 MBP has zero support for USB install, it's pretty bonkers.
Bizarro. I had to use my external BD drive to install Windows on my older mini cause my internal optical drive was messed up, it even worked for a Linux Live repair disc (needed that to secure erase the SSD). Does it seem to be the case with all MBPs or is it maybe something with your drive that causes it to not support booting?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Apple officially supports USB Windows install only on the MacBook Air and Mac Mini.

I don't understand it either.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

PRADA SLUT posted:

https://www.keepvid.com

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Stare-Out posted:

I'll keep that one in mind, thanks. But in the meantime I'm not all that confident about messing with the speakers too much. I guess I slightly overplayed the issue, but that said if the audio options get extended somehow or an app becomes available for the purpose, I'm getting it in an instant.

You could use Audio Hijack Pro for this, but it would be a bit of a pain because you'd have to keep it running all the time.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Occasionally I'll see corruption like this at the bottom of a window:

It usually goes away if I scroll up or down or switch windows and then back. Any ideas as to what's causing it?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've got an older Mac Mini that runs headless as a media server. I've been using LogMeIn to manage it from my PC and my iPad, and it works fine but it's pretty slow. I was hoping to use Splashtop since I've heard it's much faster, but after getting it all setup I find out that Splashtop currently doesn't support headless and fails to connect unless you've got a monitor hooked up. Is there anyway to 'trick' the mini into thinking a monitor is actually connected? Or is there a better alternative remote-desktop app that's fast and multiplatform?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Uh, VNC. It's built into OS X (it's what Screen Sharing uses when you turn it on in System Preferences > Sharing), and it's open source so there's a client for practically any device or computer. It'll be decently fast when connected over a local network, but it will suck if you try to connect to it from a remote network.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well the performance kind of blows with the built in server for anything other than Screen Sharing, so it'll probably about as fast/slow as LogMeIn and other stuff. But yeah it's the most cross platform thing you'll have by far.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
#1 tip for using VNC: make the desktop background a solid color.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
My MacBook Air won't reconnect automatically to the wifi at my parent's place. My brother's MacBook pro and my Mom's HP Windows Vista Laptop will reconnect fine. My MBA will connect if I go to the drop down, but if I close it and reopen it, it has no internet until I do the drop down. I only rarely have this problem on any other routes, and never this consistently.

The MBA is running 10.7.2. The router is running DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) micro, with WPA2 Personal TKIP encryption.

Any ideas?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Pretty sure WPA2 only does AES encryption. Anyway, try adjusting the router from trying to downgrade connections. If it's set to 802.11b/g/n, try setting it to N only and see what works and what doesn't. If not N, try G then B. Any other feature that has some auto downgrade thing, adjust that to not do anything automatically as well. While I haven't had this problem with Mac hardware, this did resolve similar issues on a network with multiple Windows laptops.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

modig posted:

Any ideas?

Do you have bluetooth on?

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

JDownloader (https://www.jdownloader.org) works like a charm, and you can choose if you want MP4, WEBM, or FLV. SD or HD.

It is an excellent multipurpose cross-platform website file downloading tool. Can be used for all sorts of download sites.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Yet another option for YouTube, if you like the command line, is 'youtube-dl', easily installable via Homebrew.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm having trouble with f.lux on snow leopard (early '11 MBP). Previewing works, and after previewing the temperature will usually stay adjusted temporarily, but after a few minutes (recently its been more like seconds) it goes back to default temp. Any ideas?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
SpeakIng of screen sharing, does anyone have a good/easy solution to sharing the screen of a remote Mac behind a router? My friend wants to be able to log into his dad's iMac and do whatever maintenance needs to be done (software updates, etc.) without having to bother his dad about it (so iChat is out). We could of course set up port forwarding on the router, but there's still the issue of knowing his dad's current ip address. It would be nice if there were some simple, back-to-my-Mac-style way of doing it that would handle that poo poo automatically.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

SpeakIng of screen sharing, does anyone have a good/easy solution to sharing the screen of a remote Mac behind a router? My friend wants to be able to log into his dad's iMac and do whatever maintenance needs to be done (software updates, etc.) without having to bother his dad about it (so iChat is out). We could of course set up port forwarding on the router, but there's still the issue of knowing his dad's current ip address. It would be nice if there were some simple, back-to-my-Mac-style way of doing it that would handle that poo poo automatically.

I use LogmeIn for this. It's free to use on the website, and there's now a free iOS app for it so you can control the machines from your iPhone or iPad.

I should mention that logmein handles the NAT traversal business automatically so you don't have to do any port forwarding or anything.

Also, if you port forward SSH to his mac, you can ssh in and do software updates and it won't even bother him ;)

sudo softwareupdate -a -i -v

Of course, for some updates you'll have to reboot. Which he might notice. ;)

echobucket fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 24, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Sigma posted:

Do you have bluetooth on?

Bluetooth is off. I'll try g like only wolffenstein said.

edit: g only and switching from TKIP to AES doesn't help. I'm spending way more time trying to solve this than it would actually cost me.

modig fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 24, 2011

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

I just installed Lion on my parents' Mac Mini and I can't find the setting to disable "natural scrolling". Is there something I can set with defaults write?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Kilted Yaksman posted:

I just installed Lion on my parents' Mac Mini and I can't find the setting to disable "natural scrolling". Is there something I can set with defaults write?

Check the Trackpad pane.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kilted Yaksman posted:

Something is going on

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Kilted Yaksman posted:

Is 10.7.2 installed?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Kilted Yaksman posted:

[timg]attachment.php?postid=398921054[/timg]

This almost looks as thought OS X thinks the mouse doesn't do scrolling at all. What kind of mouse is it?

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

Yeah, 10.7.2 is installed, and the mouse is a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. There's also a microsoft mouse prefpane installed but I don't see a scroll direction option there either.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Kilted Yaksman posted:

Yeah, 10.7.2 is installed, and the mouse is a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. There's also a microsoft mouse prefpane installed but I don't see a scroll direction option there either.
Uninstall the IntelliMouse software. Use Spotlight to find the uninstaller.

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

I just uninstalled the IntelliMouse software, and I have the full mouse prefpane back (yes!), but now the back/forward side buttons don't work.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Now that you have the natural scrolling turned off, you may be able to reinstall the software. I don't know if it will turn natural scrolling back on.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Any idea why my 2011 MBP (running Snow Leopard) would choke on writing from a DVD while my old PowerBook (running Leopard) works fine? I got a book for Christmas with a large DVD attached, which I would prefer to access locally. On my MBP, if I just lasso all the folders on the DVD to a folder on my desktop it stops writing after a few seconds and the drive makes a little click-y sound. Trying to create a disk image also fails with "input/output error." Seems to be working fine on the ol' PB. Pretty weird.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The optical drives Apple puts in their computers are garbage. I have trouble playing a bunch of DVDs on my Macs where my PS3 has never met a disc it couldn't play.

My Mad Men season 1 disc 1 warns me about bad sectors and has to skip over a bunch of scenes. Every other player I own plays it fine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's true, but it's still dumb to use optical disks for movies these days. Christmas present? I would call them and express disappointment in their build quality.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

royalejest posted:

Recently, my iMac has started dropping my wifi connection periodically.

It's a 2011 iMac with the most recent version of Lion, and turning airport on and off fixes it, and if I boot up in Windows 7, it works fine, which makes me think it's some kind of software rather than hardware issue.

It's not tied to activity, and I can't figure what triggers it. Tried turning off Bluetooth, reordering my network types to prioritize wifi, forgetting the network, adding a different DNS server, and setting a static IP, but nothing has fixed it yet.

Anyone else run into anything similar and fixed it somehow?

I haven't fixed it yet, but I've had this problem on my iMac (actually 2 of them - the first one I bought within a week, the logic board or power supply poo poo itself so I returned it).

With both of them, WiFi would drop. Could be 30 seconds (repeatedly), 10 minutes or an hour. I went through one round of tech support with Apple Care and have a scheduled appointment for this Friday (the 30th) with the tech support for Airport / etc. (I'll report back if I learn anything)

I went through a few of the power-on options (CMD + OPTION + P + R + power button) with Apple Care already. I also talked to a friend who works the Genius Bar at my local store. They seemed baffled.

It's close enough to the router to run a Cat6 cable so I haven't been stressing about it. But I know it's that machine's issue as my MBP and my roommates Win7 machine aren't affected by this.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

That's true, but it's still dumb to use optical disks for movies these days.
Dumb to burn movies to optical disks. Not so dumb to buy pressed media from the store. Or am I just old fashioned?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cyne posted:

Any idea why my 2011 MBP (running Snow Leopard) would choke on writing from a DVD while my old PowerBook (running Leopard) works fine? I got a book for Christmas with a large DVD attached, which I would prefer to access locally. On my MBP, if I just lasso all the folders on the DVD to a folder on my desktop it stops writing after a few seconds and the drive makes a little click-y sound. Trying to create a disk image also fails with "input/output error." Seems to be working fine on the ol' PB. Pretty weird.
Um, if it's making clicking noises and giving I/O errors I'd say it definitely has a bad optical drive. Get it replaced.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Cyne posted:

You got Applecare, right? Tell me you got Applecare.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why would it matter on his 2011 mbp
p.s. the reason it doesnt work is that it's broken. i recommend making an appointment at an apple store.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smax posted:

You got Applecare, right? Tell me you got Applecare.
If it's a 2011 machine it'll still be under warranty ;)
But yes, get AppleCare. Please.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

fleshweasel posted:

p.s. the reason it doesnt work is that it's broken.

Well that makes sense. :v:

I guess I just wanted to see if it could possibly be a system issue or something before making the trek to the nearest Apple store (actually not that bad, there's one about an hour in either direction, I just don't get out to those parts often).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just came across an unopened, $249.00 "AppleCare Protection Plan" for "Macbook/iBook."

The bottom of the back says "register now to activate." Since it's unopened, does this mean it is definitely unused and I can attempt to resell it?

It's ~4 years old, so I'm not sure if it will still apply to current laptops.

Edit: Next to the bar-code it says "MA519LL/A". It seems like different versions are being sold for different prices. How do I go about finding what I can apply this to?

These are buy-it-now for $100, whereas this is being bid on and is up to $174.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 26, 2011