Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

They appear to be a variant of Miracle Blades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-YXgFv2IN4

Chef Tony is a piece of poo poo who sells poo poo products and doesn't return money when his poo poo falls apart. The Amazon reviews about his other products are a litany of tears and gnashing of teeth.

In other words, they're selling these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Qzz8R_J1c&t=75s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

My wooden cooking spoon is chipping apart. I would get a stainless replacement but I use it a lot with my nonstick skillet to break apart meat. Is there a better option than just buying cheap replacements at Target?

no way.

I bought my newest wooden spoons at a dollar store for a 3 pack, small medium and large. I think that was about 5 years ago now. I use them still basically every time I cook.

buy the cheapest, dumbest wooden spoons you can find, and never look back.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mindphlux posted:

buy the cheapest, dumbest wooden spoons you can find, and never look back.
This. Do not buy fancy wooden spoons.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Time to get my Christmas cooking-addict shopping done. What hand mixer, stick blender, and electric grill/griddle would you guys suggest? ~$50 each but that's a loose limit.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

This. Do not buy fancy wooden spoons.

I disagree. Wooden spoons generally last a long time and even decent ones don't cost very much. If I'm going to use a spoon for 2 years, I'm going to spend an extra 2 dollars and get a nicer spoon that feels good in my hand, provides some grip, and is shaped in a way that lets me scoop poo poo out of the corner of pots and pans. I hate working with those pencil-thin spoons that feel like they're made out of balsa. For the better quality, I'll pay the $.005 premium for each meal I cook.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm in the UK. My brother has not bought us a wedding present after 3.5 years (my fault, not his). I want a Kitchen Aid mixer. Any issue with just buying the KA Artisan?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Time to get my Christmas cooking-addict shopping done. What hand mixer, stick blender, and electric grill/griddle would you guys suggest? ~$50 each but that's a loose limit.

I love the cuisinart stick blender. Amazon has it at fifty, but I just saw it (though I think sans whisk and minichop attachments) at sur la table for 30 and I got it from costco with those for 30. I don't really see the point of the variable speed some sticks have -- I'm not putting it in anything I don't intend to obliterate.

Hand mixer, I'd just buy whatever was cheapest but not obviously trash. I've never seen any job for a hand mixer that the worst hand mixer couldn't handle.

For grill/griddle, the real question is if you want the ability to press things.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

therattle posted:

I'm in the UK. My brother has not bought us a wedding present after 3.5 years (my fault, not his). I want a Kitchen Aid mixer. Any issue with just buying the KA Artisan?

I bought the standard Artisan with wedding gift cards and it works great. However, after using it for 1.5 years, I wish I would have went with something bigger. The size is great in that it fits under my cupboards nicely, even when tilted up. The standard 5 quart bowl is a little small, though. For example, making a double batch of cookies can get pretty crowded in the bowl. As a references, I would say that a general sugar cookie recipe would be less than ideal if you had more than 4 or 5 cups of flour. We made a shitload of cookies over the past week, and one batch was 6 cups flour and 2 cups sugar. If I would have put any more in, it probably would have started sucking batter up into the gears and stuff. Also, something a little bigger would make it easier to add ingredients while the mixer is working and not end up getting stuff all over the head.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Hey guys, I just picked up a package of six Pure Komachi 2 knives for $29 at Costco in Norfolk, VA which was a stupidly good deal. It came with a chef's knife, a santoku, a citrus knife, a tomato knife, a bread knife, and a paring knife.

If you've got a Costco around, go check it out!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Test Pattern posted:

I love the cuisinart stick blender. Amazon has it at fifty, but I just saw it (though I think sans whisk and minichop attachments) at sur la table for 30 and I got it from costco with those for 30. I don't really see the point of the variable speed some sticks have -- I'm not putting it in anything I don't intend to obliterate.

Hand mixer, I'd just buy whatever was cheapest but not obviously trash. I've never seen any job for a hand mixer that the worst hand mixer couldn't handle.

For grill/griddle, the real question is if you want the ability to press things.

The hand mixer will have to be as close to a stand mixer in capability as possible, its for someone without the room for a stand.

As for the griddle how much would having the ability to press cost/make it less capable in other areas?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

I bought the standard Artisan with wedding gift cards and it works great. However, after using it for 1.5 years, I wish I would have went with something bigger. The size is great in that it fits under my cupboards nicely, even when tilted up. The standard 5 quart bowl is a little small, though. For example, making a double batch of cookies can get pretty crowded in the bowl. As a references, I would say that a general sugar cookie recipe would be less than ideal if you had more than 4 or 5 cups of flour. We made a shitload of cookies over the past week, and one batch was 6 cups flour and 2 cups sugar. If I would have put any more in, it probably would have started sucking batter up into the gears and stuff. Also, something a little bigger would make it easier to add ingredients while the mixer is working and not end up getting stuff all over the head.
Thank you very much. Does the Artisan come with a larger optional bowl or is it limited in capacity?

Any suggestions for a larger model?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

therattle posted:

Thank you very much. Does the Artisan come with a larger optional bowl or is it limited in capacity?

Any suggestions for a larger model?

I nearly ordered the Professional Model recently, but it seems like people either loved it or complained that the motor would burn out. In the end, I didn't think we'd need a larger mixer anyway, so I ordered the Artisan, since it's the same mixer that my mother users.

That being said, Cooks Illustrated seems to really like the pro model:

quote:

KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixer
2009 update: Still a true kitchen workhorse, this cookware standard is strong enough for the thickest cookie batter and the tackiest bread dough. Newer models feature a "spiral" dough hook, which is more efficient at kneading than the previous "C-shape" dough hook, bringing this model back on par with the Cuisinart and negating the single gripe we had with the mixer when we last reviewed it in 2008. Please note: the new hook does not work on older models that feature a "C-shape" dough hook because of its vertical kneading motion, which puts a strain on the motor of older models designed to work with the horizontal motion of the C-shape hook.

Edit:

Here is their summary of the Artisan:

quote:

KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer
Kneading caused audible strain on the motor, as did adding heavy dry ingredients (oats) to cookie dough. Creamed and whipped like a pro—an economical choice for infrequent breadmakers. Narrow bowl mouth hindered tidy addition of dry ingredients.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 20, 2011

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aniki posted:

I nearly ordered the Professional Model recently, but it seems like people either loved it or complained that the motor would burn out. In the end, I didn't think we'd need a larger mixer anyway, so I ordered the Artisan, since it's the same mixer that my mother users.

That being said, Cooks Illustrated seems to really like the pro model:

Edit:

Here is their summary of the Artisan:

Thanks, that's extremely helpful. I do enjoy baking bread, so that is very pertinent.

Gah! All I can find in the UK is the Artisan range, and then the K5 and K50, both of which have the 5-quart/4.8L bowl. The Pro line doesn't seem to be available here. The K5 seems to be the UK heavy-duty mixer, and also comes in a pleasing red. Why wouldn't anyone buy that instead of the Artisan?

Ah! Google-fu says that the K5 in the UK is the Pro 500 Series in the US
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KSM500PSER/

I don't think I'll need the bigger bowl, as that already handles 4.5 loaves. Seems like a better buy than the Artisan - I think I'll go for that. Thanks again for the advice.

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 20, 2011

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The hand mixer will have to be as close to a stand mixer in capability as possible, its for someone without the room for a stand.

This is sadly sort of wrongheaded -- a hand mixer really only beat/whips and sort of mixes. It'll cream butter/sugar, make whipped cream and egg whites, beat eggs, mix liquids and really that's about it. Maybe very thing batters, like you could do with a whisk. I had a proctor-silex that did all those just fine, but I don't have room for a stand mixer either, and there's a lot of stuff I just could not do.

As for the griddle how much would having the ability to press cost/make it less capable in other areas?

Won't make it much less capable -- the Cuisinart grill barely has a gap when folded down into all-griddle mode, but it will cost almost twice as much (but also fold smaller for storage). But I love pressed sandwiches, so I'd consider that worth it. Mileage varies.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr Executive posted:

I disagree. Wooden spoons generally last a long time and even decent ones don't cost very much. If I'm going to use a spoon for 2 years, I'm going to spend an extra 2 dollars and get a nicer spoon that feels good in my hand, provides some grip, and is shaped in a way that lets me scoop poo poo out of the corner of pots and pans. I hate working with those pencil-thin spoons that feel like they're made out of balsa. For the better quality, I'll pay the $.005 premium for each meal I cook.

I disagree right back atcha. All my 'nicer' wooden spoons have rounded edges and poo poo, and if they're larger to "fit in my hand" better they're usually horrible at getting into corners of pots and pans. The thinner cheap wirey balsa wood ones not only are better at getting into corners and lighter/more nimble for delicate tasks like flipping fish but I also don't feel bad about putting them into a dishwasher. not that I feel bad about putting nice wooden spoons in dishwashers...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thats right bitches, i flip fish with a wooden spoon. what of it. :colbert:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy lovely wooden spoons by the pound and abuse the poo poo out of them.

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

therattle posted:

You would have to be crazy to buy a KitchenAid in the UK when you can get Kenwood chefs and their attachments at the price you have them there. They are a better machine and if anything does go wrong with it your repair costs are going to be much lower than KitchenAids just because of their prevalence among nanas where you live.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fredus posted:

You would have to be crazy to buy a KitchenAid in the UK when you can get Kenwood chefs and their attachments at the price you have them there. They are a better machine and if anything does go wrong with it your repair costs are going to be much lower than KitchenAids just because of their prevalence among nanas where you live.

My wife is crazy. She prefers the way the KitchenAid looks. She also prefers the way the Artisan looks to the K50, although the K50 is more powerful and about the same price. Guess what we're getting? (Honestly, I am sure that after having had nothing we'll be delighted with the Artisan, otherwise I would have put my foot down).

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Chemmy posted:

I buy lovely wooden spoons by the pound and abuse the poo poo out of them.

I use silicone/metal spatulas for pretty much everything. They last 5+ years, cost 2 bucks, and scrape the poo poo out of any pot/corner. I don't get the whole wooden spoon thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any stand-based (like, it has to sit on a stand to boil, but then you can lift it off to pour without worrying about cables) electric kettle that doesn't absolutely suck, and won't melt in six months?

I've owned three in the past two years, and each one has slowly deformed in one way or another. I relegated one to the office at work where I can keep an eye on it because the switch is basically melted and won't shut off automatically. The one I use at home, the power button melted for some reason and the lid won't close properly anymore, in addition to half the metal starting to show evidence of rust or some other type of corrosion.

I drink what is probably an unhealthy amount of tea so my kettles work a lot. I'm hoping to buy one that lasts more than six months before showing some sort of flaw this time. I remain hopeful :ohdear:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a £7 tesco one that is used almost daily, and it's just as sturdy and as the day I got it, which was a year and a half ago. No melty bits or anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. It looks like maybe I've just been extremely unlucky then, or maybe that the kettles I'm buying are just too fancy. I took a look tesco's site and their cheap ones look really basic with very little flash or "moving parts". Maybe this time I'll try to go cheap. Hopefully I can find something like that on this side of the commonwealth :3:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have been reading this thread and enjoying all the recommendations. I just wanted to add that estate sales are great for kitchen finds. Go to the ones in the wealthy part of town. The fiance and I found the following:

French 4mm copper pot: $18
French 2.5mm copper pot: $20
Kitchen Aid mixer with pour shield and 3 mixing attachements: $40

Happy hunting!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have been reading this thread and enjoying all the recommendations. I just wanted to add that estate sales are great for kitchen finds. Go to the ones in the wealthy part of town. The fiance and I found the following:

Happy hunting!

God. drat. I want a kitchenaid mixer.. and hunt estate sales often.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers arenĂ¢Â€Â™t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!

Martytoof posted:

Is there any stand-based (like, it has to sit on a stand to boil, but then you can lift it off to pour without worrying about cables) electric kettle that doesn't absolutely suck, and won't melt in six months?

I've had this Bodun Bistro since october, and it seems to be doing ok. http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-34-Ounce-Cordless-Electric/dp/B0041OMAW2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top .

I only use it once a day, but it's everyday. Don't store it on the base, and you'll be fine. That's admittedly annoying, as it doubles the footprint, but pouring from a vessel without a cord attached is nice.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Happy hunting!

Goddamn. Great find.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. It looks like maybe I've just been extremely unlucky then, or maybe that the kettles I'm buying are just too fancy. I took a look tesco's site and their cheap ones look really basic with very little flash or "moving parts". Maybe this time I'll try to go cheap. Hopefully I can find something like that on this side of the commonwealth :3:
Wife has had a Russell Hobbs for at least 6 years. Still perfect working order.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Martytoof posted:

I've owned three in the past two years, and each one has slowly deformed in one way or another.

I'm a bit intrigued by your post. Do you keep the water boiling (or close to) all day long? Perhaps you should just fill up a thermos bottle instead?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

I'm a bit intrigued by your post. Do you keep the water boiling (or close to) all day long? Perhaps you should just fill up a thermos bottle instead?

I probably boil water four or five times a day. A thermos bottle might actually be more practical because my problem is that I boil a large quantity of water, make a cup, and by the time I'm ready for the next one the water is lukewarm at best and there's nothing I hate more than waiting for my tea to steep.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I've owned three in the past two years, and each one has slowly deformed in one way or another. I relegated one to the office at work where I can keep an eye on it because the switch is basically melted and won't shut off automatically. The one I use at home, the power button melted for some reason and the lid won't close properly anymore, in addition to half the metal starting to show evidence of rust or some other type of corrosion.

I drink what is probably an unhealthy amount of tea so my kettles work a lot. I'm hoping to buy one that lasts more than six months before showing some sort of flaw this time. I remain hopeful :ohdear:

I know it's not a stand-based, but my family has had a zojirushi water boiler for ~15 years and it's still going strong. So maybe consider that option?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

.Z. posted:

I know it's not a stand-based, but my family has had a zojirushi water boiler for ~15 years and it's still going strong. So maybe consider that option?

This looks interesting, what is it specifically? Just a heater/dispenser? I'm not hung up on stand-based, just something i'd prefer because it makes pouring easier without having to unplug a power cord. If this is a dispenser that would also solve the pouring problem just as well as a stand would.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'm assuming it's one of those Asian water boilers. You fill up the tank inside the water boiler and it heats up the water and keeps it at a certain temperature for dispensing at anytime. It's very convenient since you always have boiling water at the press of a button.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Zettace posted:

I'm assuming it's one of those Asian water boilers. You fill up the tank inside the water boiler and it heats up the water and keeps it at a certain temperature for dispensing at anytime. It's very convenient since you always have boiling water at the press of a button.

Another nice thing about them is you can set the temperature you want the water to be.

Zojirushi always makes good products so I would recommend getting their water boiler.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Martytoof posted:

This looks interesting, what is it specifically? Just a heater/dispenser? I'm not hung up on stand-based, just something i'd prefer because it makes pouring easier without having to unplug a power cord. If this is a dispenser that would also solve the pouring problem just as well as a stand would.
Yeah, it's basically just a water jug with a heater and dispenser built in. You set the temperature you want (from a number of presets), and it heats the water to that temperature and holds it there indefinitely. When you want hot water, you put a cup (or whatever) under the spout, punch an unlock button and then a dispense button and it dispenses the water. The two button thing is so you can't accidentally start it pumping hot water onto your counter by bumping it.

They're designed pretty much precisely for always having hot water ready at exactly the right temperature for making tea. The different presets are at the different common steeping temperatures for different kinds of tea, plus boiling.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I was going to suggest that too. I think they are also known as urns. Like this:
http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Swan-Catering-Tea-Urn-c-164.html
You probably don't need a catering-grade one.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pigasus posted:

Another nice thing about them is you can set the temperature you want the water to be.

Zojirushi always makes good products so I would recommend getting their water boiler.

http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-CD-WBC30-Micom-Boiler-Warmer/dp/B0011528S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324845528&sr=8-1 I have that model for both at home and at work (I drink a lot of tea) cant recommend them enough.

Some have a battery backup so you can still dispense while its while its unplugged.

Plugged it into an energy meter thing and its saving me roughly 3 dollars a month not boiling water each time.

Also an addendum to above. These ones will always boil the water first the cool down to your preset temperature. No idea why.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I'm getting married next year, and everyone keeps asking me where I'm registered. When I answer, "Nowhere," I am met with abject horror, so I want to use our apparently-required registry to build a kitchen.

What is the best combination of basics to start with when building a really nice, versatile kitchen from scratch? I don't want to get a set, but if I were going to choose four super expensive items (> $150), eight medium priced items ($50-$150), and a bunch of little stuff that is Really Nice To Have, what should I put on the registry? I'm not necessarily asking for specific items with links and pictures, but I want an idea of the inventory I should start researching. I already have a really nice food processor and some small cast iron pans, but that's pretty much it.

I love to cook, but most of my cookware has been collected piecemeal over the last ten years, mostly castoffs and items that I have no idea their origin. Any time I got something nice, it would inevitably get ruined by roommates in very short order, so I stopped even bothering with quality. I'm tired of awful, mismatched, lidless, warped, stupid cookware.

Here's my vague idea right now.

Expensive items:
KitchenAid Mixer
A rice cooker
?
?

Medium items:
An 8" Henkel Chef knife to go with my 10"
Another Henkel Knife
A saute pan
A sauce pan
A stock pot
A differently sized saute or sauce pan
?
?

Small items:
A meat thermometer
New cutting boards
Mixing bowls
Various ladles/spoons/whisks/etc
?_1
?_i
?_n

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've got lower cooking demands than you, but I've similarly been putting together a survival kit of kitchen gear over the past year. Here are my novice thoughts:

Valdara posted:

KitchenAid Mixer
Take your pick from the Artisan series.

quote:

A rice cooker
Zojirushi or bust.

quote:

An 8" Henkel Chef knife to go with my 10"

Another Henkel Knife
I don't think that having both 8" and 10" chef's knives is very useful. You might do better to add an 8" bread knife, 3.5-4" paring knife, and boning knife to your collection. I like Wusthof over Henckels in the French category, but that's personal preference. Have you considered Japanese style knives like Global and Shun?

quote:

A saute pan
A sauce pan
A stock pot
A differently sized saute or sauce pan
8" & 10" frying pans, >=8 qt stock pot, 2-3 qt sauce pan. Calphalon or All-Clad, depending on whether you want stainless or nonstick.

quote:

A meat thermometer
Thermapen or bust.

quote:

New cutting boards
Absolutely get end grain.

Other things I've found useful that you haven't explicitly listed are a nice wine key, an elegant set of (Oneida) silverware, quality stainless colander, ice cream scoop, and silicone-tipped locking tongs. Also, if you don't have a Swing-A-Way can opener, get one. It'll make your kitchen life less stressful.

I also have a decent blender, the Ninja N600. It's comparable to my friend's Blendtec and it was only $40 refurbished on Woot (normally $100). It makes amazing smoothies and shitwrecks ice like it's jello.

I picked up a set of Pyrex No-Leak bowls and the leak proofing is AMAZING.

edit: vvv That's probably easier list to maintain.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
The way I see it, if you're registering, you should use it to ask for stuff that you want but might not feel you can justify the cost of yourself. And stuff that will last. Most of the equipment I've inherited from my parents were given to them at their wedding in 1972. It somehow makes the idea of buying (and wishing for) somewhat costly stuff more palatable.

I'll try and think some more, but here's what I'd add, off the top of my head:

Quality immersion blender
A quality cutting board/butcherblock (if you have room for it) a la the boardsmith or John Boos
Enameled cast iron dutch oven a la Le Creuset
a good crepe pan
Good storage vessels - tupperware sets or the like.
A slow cooker?
A tepid puddle rig?

• Locked thread