Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
poo poo to the no. I meant set up about 90 users with RSA keyfobs which are literally all numbers. I was an idiot and thought that my thin client wouldn't recognize my sweet Filco keypad; I was wrong but still managed to type 6-12 numeric strings with maybe 1/90 error rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Phone posted:

poo poo to the no. I meant set up about 90 users with RSA keyfobs which are literally all numbers. I was an idiot and thought that my thin client wouldn't recognize my sweet Filco keypad; I was wrong but still managed to type 6-12 numeric strings with maybe 1/90 error rate.

Hahaha I totally misread that. How sweet would that be? I have the same opinion of blank keys though. You'll never miss keys after a few years of hitting them 14 hours a day.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

glompix posted:

Hahaha I totally misread that. How sweet would that be? I have the same opinion of blank keys though. You'll never miss keys after a few years of hitting them 14 hours a day.

I did too. Every single user who sees my keyboard at work now thinks I'm some kind of typing idiot savant. I love it twice as much.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What are black switches like? I gather that they're the same as the others except no tactile or audible response? Is there still a difference between them and rubber dome?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just got a black keyboard at work. The keys require slightly more force to push down than the browns. It doesn't feel anything like a rubber dome keyboard.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

What are black switches like? I gather that they're the same as the others except no tactile or audible response? Is there still a difference between them and rubber dome?

Just got myself a black keyboard at work. Don't get a 6gv2 because it's all sorts of loving stupid (giant enter key, misplaced pipe/backslash, no left meta4 key). The switches are excellent though, nothing at all like a rubber dome -- my fingers practically sighed when I started using this.

Of note, I am a particularly violent typist, so the linear switches fit my bottom-out style of typing well. I did just put a set of o-rings on the keys to dampen the blow a bit -- not entirely sure if I liked them better before or after the dampener installation.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

I did just put a set of o-rings on the keys to dampen the blow a bit -- not entirely sure if I liked them better before or after the dampener installation.

I felt the same way after putting o-rings on my rosewill with brown switches. I ended up removing them from the letter keys but leaving them on everything else. I noticed that they helped the most on the number row, backspace, enter and some of the other large keys - pretty much anything you're going to give a good *thwack* when typing fast benefits. I'd like to find something that doesn't decrease travel as much as the black 50A o-rings did and try that under the letters to see if it's more to my taste.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Wow I ordered these keys from WASD on Tuesday and they arrived today, even with all this Christmas mayhem going on.

Could it BE anymore snazzy?

hint: no

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

o muerte posted:

Yup - here's the part # from my order:

2418T114 Soft Buna-N O-Ring, AS568A Dash Number 008, packs of 125

Those are 10 bux/package (plus shipping) versus <2 per. Which is why I got the a70's. Seems good enough on my bw. Then again if I order a mx red/brown from wasd, I think I might get the oring mod form them, even though I have 250+ a70 o-rings atm.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Just placed an order for a Das Ultimate S, and boy, am I excited! :neckbeard:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So I had a Razer Lycosa, and I liked it I guess. And then tonight I spilled a bunch of whiskey on it and it's pretty dead.

The keys had worn down so much so that you couldn't tell what was what. I don't really care about the backlighting too much, and I didn't use the macro options much or anything, but I did like the feel of the keyboard, responsiveness and stuff. Would the Arctosa be acceptable as a replacement? It looks like a more basic version of the same thing, and I didn't use any of the fancier options on the Lycosa anyway, so...

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

So I'm thinking might want to get a nice keyboard since the $5 special I have now irritates me in a myriad of ways. I was looking at the differences between switch types and both reds and browns jumped out at me as possible options but I'm having trouble deciding between the two. Does anyone know of any major stores around the Boston area that may have mechanical switch demos? This feels like the kind of thing I really should test before I make a decision.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So I had a Razer Lycosa, and I liked it I guess. And then tonight I spilled a bunch of whiskey on it and it's pretty dead.

The keys had worn down so much so that you couldn't tell what was what. I don't really care about the backlighting too much, and I didn't use the macro options much or anything, but I did like the feel of the keyboard, responsiveness and stuff. Would the Arctosa be acceptable as a replacement? It looks like a more basic version of the same thing, and I didn't use any of the fancier options on the Lycosa anyway, so...

I have an Arctosa. As far as I know, it's identical to the Lycosa except for the backlighting. Should feel exactly the same.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
So I have a Model M from 1990 with an inoperative - numpad key. Any idea on where I could go to buy parts for this thing?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
No idea on parts although it's certainly possible that they might exist.
What I did was desolder the Caps key and replace the broken switch (Space in my case) with it.

kremlins
May 9, 2009

Skyssx posted:

So I have a Model M from 1990 with an inoperative - numpad key. Any idea on where I could go to buy parts for this thing?

Check here: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Just got a Das Model S Professional Keyboard with cherry MX blues.
I love it. I love it so much. It's so loving loud. I'm in love.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I wound up with two Logitech K360 wireless keyboards due to Christmas. I really like the convenience of the things, and they have pretty astonishing range (The signal went from the living room to the receiver 20 feet away, through a wall) ... but after typing on a noisy Model M for years, the flat laptop sized keys are almost alien to me. They aren't even scissor switches, but somewhat stiff rubber domes.

Still, for twenty bucks, it's nice to have something I can tote around and plug into the PC for a quieter setup or the PS3 for keyboard input.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I game and I write. I write more than I game. I don't need any macros or backlighting or anything, just reliability. The MX518 of keyboards, if you will. Any ideas?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Filco / Leopold

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Fry's is having a one day sale on K60s for $79. I picked one up on a whim and its the first mechanical keyboard I've used outside of the Cherry point of sale keyboards we use at work. So far I like it though the clackity noise is kind of crazy. I like that is has good, well thought out media keys as I know those are usually missing from mechanical keyboards.

It is also a really odd looking keyboard. It literally is just a hunk of metal with keyboard keys sticking out. It is more odd than bad and it's way better than most 'gamer' pc accessories.

Also as far as gamer features go, the windows key lock is actually pretty useful. I use a lot of windows key shortcuts so disabling it is a pain in the rear end but having a temporary lock button is great. Also way better than moving the key considering I'm used to punching it from that location.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 27, 2011

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

UnfurledSails posted:

I game and I write. I write more than I game. I don't need any macros or backlighting or anything, just reliability. The MX518 of keyboards, if you will. Any ideas?

Do you want or need a numpad? USB or PS/2? Noise sensitive?

If you're mostly just typing and don't care about noise, then grab a unicomp space saver. Nothing beats buckling spring for typing. Plus, they are quite inexpensive. Only downside is that it's only 2KRO, and loud.

Rosewill makes a bunch of boards with all kinds of cherry switches, but I would recommend the mx blue for you.

I would definitely go with a costar stabilizer board (like a filco, rosewill, or a WASD)over a cherry stabilizer board (like a leopold or a poker). Cherry stabilizers are terrible. You will just be typing along happily, and every time you use a key with a stabilizer, mush.
Type type type mush type type mush type mush.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
So I got a das Keyboard with Blues over the holidays, and really enjoy it, but the clicky noise is bugging my girlfriend and I can live without so I'm looking at swapping for a different switch type. I can't decide between Browns and Reds. I enjoy the light keys so I will probably rule out Blacks. Is there any difference between the Reds and Browns other than the 'bump' of the Browns? The data in every FAQ for them looks drat near identical otherwise. If not I'm kind of leaning towards those to keep some of the feel of the Blues. I've heard Reds are great for certain types of games but am having a hard time finding what kinds and why one might want them over Browns (aside from I assume they are 'smoother').

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Got my Das Ultimate S today, and god, I'm in love. This keyboard is literally perfect for me, I can't find anything wrong with it.

WuChou posted:

So I got a das Keyboard with Blues over the holidays, and really enjoy it, but the clicky noise is bugging my girlfriend.

MY GIRLFRIEND can deal with it. :colbert:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the world of mechanical keyboards, but I've never used one so I don't really know what I like. I mostly game and do a bit of typing, and the Cherry Brown seems like the way to go for that use. The Rosewill RK-9000BR looks good, but I also like the idea of having custom colored keys. Is there a good place to buy just keys? Will any key fit into any keyboard, provided the switch types match up? I'd be willing to try dying my own if I got a cheap set of keys.

Is there somewhere I can try these things out? Neither Office Depot or Best Buy stock mechanical keyboards, at least near me.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

WASD Keyboards now has full keycap sets as well as individual ones, and has a multitude of customization options including the font and alignment of the text and the type of engraving/etching process.

Keycaps for Cherry switches are mostly interchangeable across brands, except for a few cases where the spacebar and other bigger keys might not fit. Check first, but to my knowledge these should work just fine for a Rosewill.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
What's a good laptop-style keyboard with very little lift (is that the word?) and reasonable price?.

And perhaps it's time to update the op?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

404notfound posted:

WASD Keyboards now has full keycap sets as well as individual ones, and has a multitude of customization options including the font and alignment of the text and the type of engraving/etching process.

Keycaps for Cherry switches are mostly interchangeable across brands, except for a few cases where the spacebar and other bigger keys might not fit. Check first, but to my knowledge these should work just fine for a Rosewill.
I'm a bit concerned about the key marking with WASD. How much can you feel the laser etched keys? I want a smooth surface and don't really like the idea of being able to feel every line of my giant novelty sized W key.

Also, how do their custom order PDFs work? Is it just for layout/font? Do you upload your thing and then use the web customizer to finish the colors?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

What's a good laptop-style keyboard with very little lift (is that the word?) and reasonable price?.

Do you mean travel (the distance the key depresses)? Lift is more usually the extra height you get with the little fold-out legs at the back of the keyboard.

Apple's keyboards are some of the best laptop-style keyboards; I also like the Lenovo USB Thinkpad keyboard, but that's just me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Logitech Illuminated perhaps? I have one and it's pretty swank, though I think I'll be getting that Corsair mechanical shortly.

It's even in the OP.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Hey Dogen, I just got the K60 for Christmas from a friend of mine. It finally shipped to him yesterday, so I'll give impressions later this week.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Wow I ordered these keys from WASD on Tuesday and they arrived today, even with all this Christmas mayhem going on.

Could it BE anymore snazzy?

hint: no

Beautiful. How is the WASD? What switches are you using?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm a bit concerned about the key marking with WASD. How much can you feel the laser etched keys? I want a smooth surface and don't really like the idea of being able to feel every line of my giant novelty sized W key.

You can easily feel the laser engraved keys, but the laser etched keys should be totally smooth.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't know why I'm posting this, because I already know the answer (no way), but there's no wireless mechanical keyboards, are there?

And for the bonus round: any mechanical keyboards with a Mac keyboard layout (ctrl/alt/cmd)?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Anal Tributary posted:

I don't know why I'm posting this, because I already know the answer (no way), but there's no wireless mechanical keyboards, are there?

What.

quote:

And for the bonus round: any mechanical keyboards with a Mac keyboard layout (ctrl/alt/cmd)?

Up.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What.

Up.

Now combine the two :smug:

Seriously though, thanks for the links. Honestly thought neither existed.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

One Swell Foop posted:

Apple's keyboards are some of the best laptop-style keyboards; I also like the Lenovo USB Thinkpad keyboard, but that's just me.

Dogen posted:

Logitech Illuminated perhaps?

Thanks for the responses! It'll be one of those then.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So SWTOR has actually made me want for a new keyboard after about 8 or so years with an old Logitech board that's now defunct, but the closest facsimile of the current offerings is this, but wired and not as fugly looking, but still membrane based.

I started computing on an old IBM XT, and I remember how sweet the keyboard on that thing was... then again, I'm pretty tempted by stuff like the SteelSeries Merc, simply because of my newfound MMO addiction, but at the same time I don't think I really want to go full bore on a weirdo keyboard when I still use it for everyday stuff and need the standard layout... I can adjust my gaming to suit.

2 questions:

1- I skimmed the thread but didn't see much commentary outside the OP and this post, but how do people feel, hands on wise, about linear vs tactile mechanical keyboards? I know the theorycraft is that Cherry Black is more "gamer friendly" but how hard are they, really, to press? Is it some ridiculous poo poo where you have to mash the keys all the way down for them to respond, whereas the tactile's I've used are all very light, albeit noisy. Just wanted a gauge, because I've never actually used one.

2- Been having a hard time tracking down linear mechanicals other than the insanely expensive Deck ones... right now I'm in the air over these three:

Rosewill Cherry Blue Mechanical

Rosewill Cherry Red Mechanical

Razer BlackWidow

The Cherry Red seems like basically what I'm going for... light response, but still linear keys, and not crazy loud so it would piss off MY GIRLFRIEND when I use it, nor will it be noisy as gently caress when I'm on skype calls or using a headset to play TF2 and such. Thing is, it's also the most expensive of the three. The blue is only really on the list here because of the $20 GC promo. As for the quality of Rosewill, that's something I dunno about, in terms of keyboard. I've only just recently got my first taste of their products with my current desktop case (the Challenger) and a 2.5" HDD enclosure, and both of them are really drat solid and quite nice, but neither of them is really much in terms of electronics, they're just housings.

The BlackWidow was recommended to me by several other SWTOR goons who all swear by it... I have a few other Razer products that are pretty good, my Razer mouse is nice, but yeah... I don't get the whole EXXXTREME GAMRRRR thing... feels like any other optical mouse, really. (it's a Diamondback 3G) The only perks to this one are really the price and the fact that it has extra programmable buttons... it's also loud as poo poo, if these same goons' audio streams are any indication, and yeah... that's it.

Looking for something ideally under $120ish... I don't care about backlighting, but get the feeling I would probably prefer linear mechanical keys... any thoughts on these options, or other suggestions?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 29, 2011

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
I dunno if anyone posted regarding deck keyboards yet, but I was -seriously- disappointed with mine when I got it to the point where I used it for 3 days then promptly returned it, if their forums are still up I still have a halfass review I slapped up there of it-

Oh hey it is!

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=680

I ended up sending it back for a refund.

Essentially, build quality was cheapy, the plastic feels 'hollow' and the number key row is lower than the rest of the rows resulting in the most :psyduck: experience to hit any number keys in a game or a work hotkey ever.

I can't recommend them, but now I'm in a position where I'm curious about mechanical keyboards again and wondering what would be a good one since I've only just now gotten over my bitter taste and fear of them because of my poor experience with Deck.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Got a bunch of money for the holidays and was thinking of buying a new keyboard. I've been eying an HHKB or Realforce keyboards for a while but I'm a bit worried I'll end up blowing 300+ bucks on a keyboard I don't prefer over my filco with cherry browns. I really want to try out something louder than what I have right now, and I'm not really interested in owning another color cherry, so can anyone recommend me a good ALPS keyboard? Alternatively, talk me into buying a topre keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know what the mechanism on these Dell keyboards is?

I just found five of these in unused condition still in the box in our campus e-waste recycling centre waiting to be hauled away. I think this is seriously my second favourite keyboard ever, after the Apple keyboard. I can code better on the Apple keyboard, but I brought this Dell one home because it's better for FPS games.

I don't know if it's some sort of special mechanism or what, but typing on this bad boy is a PLEASURE.

e: One of the keyboards is Canada-French. What a bizarre loving layout :q:

• Locked thread