Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

Flipperwaldt posted:

Anything that would be able to do such a thing under Windows will need a driver presenting itself to the system as a virtual audio device. I believe there is some native support for rerouting like this on macs, which is why it's easier to find software that does this for that platform.

Virtual Audio Cable can do this in Windows, but it's a bit of a mindfuck to set up, because you'll have to use input devices as output devices and vice versa. Also it costs $30.

Thanks a lot - I did try VAC a while before I downloaded PrettyMay but yeah, mindfuck galore so I gave up pretty quickly. I'll make sure to give it another go. Cheers for the explanation my good man!

Salty Whiskey fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What is the preferred torrent client for Windows these days? I just installed the latest version of uTorrent and it has an app store and tries to install a loving browser toolbar. DO NOT WANT!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Salty Whiskey posted:

Thanks a lot - I did try VAC a while before I downloaded PrettyMay but yeah, mindfuck galore so I gave up pretty quickly. I'll make sure to give it another go. Cheers for the explanation my good man!

The way it works for me:

In Skype:
"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" as the microphone.
Speakers as whatever it was before.

Then start up the included Audio Repeater and set
Wave In: Microsoft Sound Mapper
Wave Out: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)
and click start.

Apparently the Microsoft Sound Mapper stream includes the built in microphone in my laptop. Couldn't possibly say if this would work with other soundcards, external microphones etc.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

fletcher posted:

What is the preferred torrent client for Windows these days? I just installed the latest version of uTorrent and it has an app store and tries to install a loving browser toolbar. DO NOT WANT!

uTorrent is still great. Don't install the toolbar or use the app store if you don't want to; the other features still work fine. Install from Ninite if you don't even want to be asked about toolbars.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

fletcher posted:

The last version of uTorrent before 3.0: http://www.oldversion.com/download-uTorrent-2.2.1.25113.html

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Galler posted:

The last version of uTorrent before 3.0: http://www.oldversion.com/download-uTorrent-2.2.1.25113.html

I was hoping to be able to use the latest version of an actively developed client, rather than an older version of uTorrent.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is this a :qq: MY RAMS :qq: thing, or is uTorrent lacking a feature you want?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Toast Museum posted:

Is this a :qq: MY RAMS :qq: thing, or is uTorrent lacking a feature you want?

When I started using uTorrent a few years ago, it was a nice simple, no-bloat, no-bullshit torrent client. That is no longer the case, now I have to opt-out of a browser toolbar, ignore the "app store", and ignore advertisements in the application for uTorrent Plus.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Don't install the toolbar and then disable all the stuff you don't want from the Options menu. You can even disable the ad for uTorrent Plus!

It's still the best torrent client for Windows.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Galler posted:

I have 2.2.1 on my computer, but it tells me there are no updates available? :confused:

e: uTorrent and µTorrent is the same thing, right?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

fletcher posted:

I was hoping to be able to use the latest version of an actively developed client, rather than an older version of uTorrent.

There's no reason to keep developing a program that has reached perfection. Continuing development just results in something like the new versions of utorrent.

stubblyhead posted:

I have 2.2.1 on my computer, but it tells me there are no updates available? :confused:

e: uTorrent and µTorrent is the same thing, right?

Yes it's the same thing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

Just tried this myself. As a standard user, if you say 'no' to the UAC prompt, you can still install, but it goes in your user profile. It would normally be installed to c:\program files(x86). Administrative users don't seem to have the option of installing to their profile, but I didn't really check it out very thoroughly.

:tipshat: Thanks for the information.

I'm looking for a way to use a remote desktop connection of sorts to connect to my mother's computer (I live on the other side of the country). Windows' client is no good because it only works for editions greater than Home Premium.

All I need is something that will allow me to install programs and features from a distance. What do you recommend? Am I able to use it to switch the user to Administrator in case I have to use the account?

EDIT: My girlfriend recommended RealVNC. Here's why I can't use it :suicide: (well, not without dropping $30 anyway)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 25, 2011

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT: My girlfriend recommended RealVNC. Here's why I can't use it :suicide: (well, not without dropping $30 anyway)

RealVNC sucks anyway. You want UltraVNC. (Make sure to get the mirror driver too.)

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 25, 2011

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

Flipperwaldt posted:

The way it works for me:

In Skype:
"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" as the microphone.
Speakers as whatever it was before.

Then start up the included Audio Repeater and set
Wave In: Microsoft Sound Mapper
Wave Out: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)
and click start.

Apparently the Microsoft Sound Mapper stream includes the built in microphone in my laptop. Couldn't possibly say if this would work with other soundcards, external microphones etc.

I have a sneaking suspicion this wouldn't work for me though. The whole, on board sound deal with no stereo mix available would probably screw it up I think. I'm not one of the people who just have 'Disconnected Devices' unticked in recording devices.. Stereo mix literally is completely unavailable for me - I can't record just audio from my speakers whatsoever. If I absolutely need to, I have to fraps it and convert the video to mp3. Bonkers I know, but after trying to come up with a workaround for a year, I really have given up on that one. That's the main reason I was looking for a skype addon - something I could plug mp3's into directly could work in theory, but meanwhile my Microsoft Sound Mapper ain't mapping too much.

As I say I'll definitely give it a whirl, but it won't be the first time my crappy onboard sound has mucked things up. I would just get a sound card but I'm reluctant to shell out the cash for something I'm not sure would work (granted it probably would, but all the same, I wouldn't otherwise get a new one at all if it weren't for this).
I'll try and grab hold of VAC after Christmas and give your setup a try and see what happens. Thanks again!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Salty Whiskey posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion this wouldn't work for me though. The whole, on board sound deal with no stereo mix available would probably screw it up I think. I'm not one of the people who just have 'Disconnected Devices' unticked in recording devices.. Stereo mix literally is completely unavailable for me - I can't record just audio from my speakers whatsoever. If I absolutely need to, I have to fraps it and convert the video to mp3. Bonkers I know, but after trying to come up with a workaround for a year, I really have given up on that one. That's the main reason I was looking for a skype addon - something I could plug mp3's into directly could work in theory, but meanwhile my Microsoft Sound Mapper ain't mapping too much.

As I say I'll definitely give it a whirl, but it won't be the first time my crappy onboard sound has mucked things up. I would just get a sound card but I'm reluctant to shell out the cash for something I'm not sure would work (granted it probably would, but all the same, I wouldn't otherwise get a new one at all if it weren't for this).
I'll try and grab hold of VAC after Christmas and give your setup a try and see what happens. Thanks again!

For what it's worth, on my computer Stereo Mix is a completely separate entry from Microsoft Sound Mapper in the replicator. Also VAC would allow you to record from other programs as well, although it might require you to set one of the virtual cables as the default output device temporarily/not hear what you are recording while recording.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

All I need is something that will allow me to install programs and features from a distance. What do you recommend? Am I able to use it to switch the user to Administrator in case I have to use the account?

I think Remote Assistance will let you elevate; not 100% sure on that though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

I think Remote Assistance will let you elevate; not 100% sure on that though.

:doh: I thought Remote Assistance was for Microsoft techs or something. I'll check it out, thanks!

EDIT: Remote Assistance is no good. The recipient needs administrative access to allow me to have administrative access. It really defeats the purpose for what I want to use it for. I'll try UltraVNC out and see if that works.

EDIT 2: Great, UltraVNC triggers a false-positive from MSE :haw:!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 25, 2011

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT 2: Great, UltraVNC triggers a false-positive from MSE :haw:!

It's not a commonly installed application and obviously a lot of malware would want to remotely control an infected PC.

telperion
Oct 17, 2011
Any recommendations for a good usenet NZB program? I see sabnzbd being praised on various forums, but it's never worked properly for me (using windows and chrome browser). I also hate that it opens within a web browser rather than being a standalone app. Thanks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT: Remote Assistance is no good. The recipient needs administrative access to allow me to have administrative access. It really defeats the purpose for what I want to use it for. I'll try UltraVNC out and see if that works.

I can't confirm this right at the moment, but the helpee should be able to pass that ability on to the helper when he requests control, see checkbox below:

Note that there was a conscious decision to not allow this in Windows Vista, which made Remote Assistance almost entirely useless in that version.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

I can't confirm this right at the moment, but the helpee should be able to pass that ability on to the helper when he requests control, see checkbox below:

Note that there was a conscious decision to not allow this in Windows Vista, which made Remote Assistance almost entirely useless in that version.

Clicking that checkbox brings up a UAC dialog which the "dialing" computer cannot see (the screen blackens with a large pause symbol). I don't want to have the receiving computer to authorize.

Basically: The "helpee" requires administrative access to give the helper administrative access. This alone ruins the purpose I want to use it for.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Clicking that checkbox brings up a UAC dialog which the "dialing" computer cannot see (the screen blackens with a large pause symbol). I don't want to have the receiving computer to authorize.

Basically: The "helpee" requires administrative access to give the helper administrative access. This alone ruins the purpose I want to use it for.

I'll be damned, it sure does. Welp.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

telperion posted:

Any recommendations for a good usenet NZB program? I see sabnzbd being praised on various forums, but it's never worked properly for me (using windows and chrome browser). I also hate that it opens within a web browser rather than being a standalone app. Thanks.

Go the Usenet thread and get made fun of for not using sabnzbd.

It runs as a service that you connect to with a web browser, the fact that it launches a browser when it starts is a setting you can configure.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

telperion posted:

I use alt.binz as my secondary nzb client. It's fairly lightweight, with the only issue being any changes you make to the settings don't apply till you restart the program. That and it's not actively developed anymore.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's not a commonly installed application and obviously a lot of malware would want to remotely control an infected PC.

Yeah, I ran into this with programs in the past and know that it's not too much trouble for me. I'm just worried that it'll cause issues on the client computer's side.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

Flipperwaldt posted:

For what it's worth, on my computer Stereo Mix is a completely separate entry from Microsoft Sound Mapper in the replicator.

Sorry if I'm missing something, audio stuff is definitely not my strong point unfortunately. That said, I find it kind of weird then that even when I try to record on say, audacity using the sound mapper, I never pick up anything?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Salty Whiskey posted:

Sorry if I'm missing something, audio stuff is definitely not my strong point unfortunately. That said, I find it kind of weird then that even when I try to record on say, audacity using the sound mapper, I never pick up anything?

Sorry, it didn't make sense, but it seemed to work for me. Then it hit me that this was working because the microphone was picking up the sound from the speakers :downsbravo:

So, you know, forget what I said. Messing around a little more with VAC reveals that it's totally possible to do this the proper way. If you have "Stereo Mix" as an option :suicide:

As it stands, I think your options are severely limited to something that's specifically aimed at Skype. For the love of god, do not try something called TunesUp, there's no download without crapware available and it kept bluescreening my computer even on uninstall and I had to do a system restore to get it back into a working state. And I couldn't find anything else that even said it would do what you asked for.

To summarize: I'm retarded and you're back at square one. :negative:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Can someone tell me exactly what WMP plugin I want to be able to run the streams on this website? Also, please tell me if it's illegal. I don't think it is because I got it from a sticky thread on these forums

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/kijkenluister/overzicht/

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Guilty posted:

Can someone tell me exactly what WMP plugin I want to be able to run the streams on this website? Also, please tell me if it's illegal. I don't think it is because I got it from a sticky thread on these forums

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/kijkenluister/overzicht/

http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download

Works in Firefox/Chrome etc

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

Flipperwaldt posted:

To summarize: I'm retarded and you're back at square one. :negative:

Haha, it's not a problem, I've been thrown back to square one on this issue so many times in the last year that I'm pretty much permanently there! :D Thanks for your help anyway - I think I'd be best just to buy a cheap sound card and see if Stereo mix pops up when I shove it in.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hey, this is a pretty embarrassing question but I'm kind of starved for an answer. I've recently built a high-endish gaming PC running 64 bit Windows 7. It's working beautifully, and I'm very happy, but I'm kind of frustrated with how weak the audio feels. I can listen to the same audio file with the same headphones at max volume on this PC and my 2009 Macbook Pro and it will sound very noticeably more robust and quite a bit louder and more forceful on the Macbook.

I'm not sure if the answer is "get a sound card" or what. Is there some way I can fiddle with the settings or otherwise mess around with my PC to match the "oomph" of my Macbook's sound?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Hey, this is a pretty embarrassing question but I'm kind of starved for an answer. I've recently built a high-endish gaming PC running 64 bit Windows 7. It's working beautifully, and I'm very happy, but I'm kind of frustrated with how weak the audio feels. I can listen to the same audio file with the same headphones at max volume on this PC and my 2009 Macbook Pro and it will sound very noticeably more robust and quite a bit louder and more forceful on the Macbook.

I'm not sure if the answer is "get a sound card" or what. Is there some way I can fiddle with the settings or otherwise mess around with my PC to match the "oomph" of my Macbook's sound?

Have you tried loving around with this window in Win 7, it may just be a program that's slightly turned down:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

Have you tried loving around with this window in Win 7, it may just be a program that's slightly turned down:

Nope, that's not it. Oddly enough, even though everything's set at pretty much the same level, Steam games have very loud and very bold sound on my PC generally.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Should I be able to join a domain, if I am able to ping it and I have access to the admin account of the DC?

I was working with some VMs this week, noticed when I pinged contoso.com it went to the wrong location. I modified my hosts file to the correct IP, now when I ping contoso.com it functions as intend but I still receive the same error that it can't contact a domain controller.

What gives? :confused:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably due to DNS being hosed up, especially if your ping wasnt working correctly before, even with you manually doing it on the hosts file.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Is there some way I can fiddle with the settings or otherwise mess around with my PC to match the "oomph" of my Macbook's sound?

Unless the driver of your current soundcard offers some options, I'm going to say no. Nothing that is remotely practical. And you're not going to improve sound quality with those in any case.

"Weak" sound could purely be a side effect of the output not being loud enough, or there could be a quality problem as well. There's no way to tell from the way you describe it.

The fact that you mention headphones, is that just for an all-other-things-being-equal comparison, or do you actually use headphones most of the time?

A headphone amp (or any other old amp serving as one) might be something to look into if this is purely about loudness. Another soundcard might help on the quality front. It depends on what the real problem is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

Probably due to DNS being hosed up, especially if your ping wasnt working correctly before, even with you manually doing it on the hosts file.

It's working correctly, with that change. I guess the hosts file isn't forwarding everything? Though, I thought that's what it was suppose to do :confused:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

It's working correctly, with that change. I guess the hosts file isn't forwarding everything? Though, I thought that's what it was suppose to do :confused:

The ping isn't looking for "contoso.com", it's looking for like _mgdc._tcp.contoso.com, some DNS service record, and that service record is not in the host file.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Your hosts file doesn't forward anything, all it does is provide name resolution. It sounds like your srv record for your dc is hosed up, and no amount of manipulation of your hosts file is going to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So I did a clean install of Windows XP on this new machine I built but for the love of god I cannot update the Windows XP Service Pack to anything. autodownload tells me the version of windows is no longer supported. Manual downloads I get errors and incomplete installations. I have no idea what I can do :(