Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It seems kind of sad that they never said good bye to Aradia and Sollux. It's entirely possible the rest of the crew will never see them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

she said herself that they might see her again in dream bubbles along the way! space and time work weird out there, remember. without a sunbeam to chase, it was a serious concern that they'd cross causality trails and crash into themselves at a point in their timeline after that very crash had already happened!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Admiral Lasers posted:

she said herself that they might see her again in dream bubbles along the way! space and time work weird out there, remember. without a sunbeam to chase, it was a serious concern that they'd cross causality trails and crash into themselves at a point in their timeline after that very crash had already happened!

This sounds like a hint as to ways to defeat Lord English.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This sounds like a hint as to ways to defeat Lord English.

What better place to defeat a time travelling demon than a place where time and space are all messed up? And if they take the fight to where the Horrorterrors are, they might get some help from them. Though given that Doc Scratch was involved with Feferi's Lusus arriving on Alternia, there's a drat good chance that they'll turn out to be an enemy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Generally, in games, when you freeze something in time you make it immune to damage. Being able to be hurt generally requires that time flows in such a way that causality isn't casually obliterated.

In Mother 3, things frozen in time would get all of the punishment the moment it gets unfrozen. It's not like Homestuck is any different tonally from Mother 3 at this point, so just replace the wall of vines with Bec Noir.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Cabbit posted:

Generally, in games, when you freeze something in time you make it immune to damage. Being able to be hurt generally requires that time flows in such a way that causality isn't casually obliterated.

Trying to apply other video game rules is pretty silly when the author can do whatever he wants to do. Also, John killed a uranium imp by freezing it in time and wailing on it with the Fear No Anvil already.

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
Some fans may be disappointed by the lack of Gristmas but I'm a little sad to see we're not getting another iteration of Homestuck for the Holidays.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
You can have my dumb music instead :v:

I guess me making troll land themes is a thing now, because I decided to make Quartz and Melody next. Tell me how it went, I'll love you forever if you do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You can have my dumb music instead :v:

I guess me making troll land themes is a thing now, because I decided to make Quartz and Melody next. Tell me how it went, I'll love you forever if you do.

This and Silence are both fantastic. You seem to have nailed the general feel of an old-school RPG overworld theme.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
There's also Sgruban Medium by myusernamesmud on Tindeck. The album listing has only ten songs, but I think there are two other worlds' songs in the rest of his collection.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hjalmar posted:

I don't think Karkat's blood powers are going to be able to save WV. Remember, he's a Knight class, which, as Aradia just mentioned, is a combat-oriented role. Maybe a Slyph or Bard could be considered a support class?

A bottle of Faygo and a slime pie would fix him right up.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Lamuella posted:

A bottle of Faygo and a slime pie would fix him right up.

Yeah, but it would probably go right through him :downsrim:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Finished the theme for Land of Pulse and Haze (Karkat's place)

Tell me how it is etc. etc. Didn't like it as much as Quartz, but whatever.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Finished the theme for Land of Pulse and Haze (Karkat's place)

Tell me how it is etc. etc. Didn't like it as much as Quartz, but whatever.

Okay wow the percussion in your land themes really reminds me of Earthbound. Or maybe a track from the original Myst soundtrack or some other ancient 90s computer game. The rhythmically driven beats feel really atmospheric even though I'd prefer seeing a more melodic aspect in the song developed alongside them. It's a very ambient song and if you ask me two minutes is a little on the short side when it comes to building ambience, so I'd love to see this expanded.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah, I think that's really my problem. I'm just not experienced enough to create something that goes beyond around 2 minutes 30 seconds without it getting bland or stale.

Being compared to Eathbound I'll take as a massive compliment though.

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
Can't Aradia just pull the same trick as last time and create a whole bunch of doomed timeline clones? Even if they all die heroic deaths, they should be just as expendable as the robots.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

piemanmoo posted:

Can't Aradia just pull the same trick as last time and create a whole bunch of doomed timeline clones? Even if they all die heroic deaths, they should be just as expendable as the robots.

Can you imagine the havoc if you noticed multiple time clones of you around doing nothing in particular, and then decided not to complete their loops? You'd die a just death, but all the clones, who would have been needlessly doomed by you, would reincarnate. Over and over.

What I'm saying is all the doomed clones would live their lives constantly being killed a la Final Destination until one of them did something heroic or worthy of "just" in the course of getting killed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Aradia might be significantly less okay with the serial death of doomed-timeline selves now than when she was a machine. At least, that's how I interpreted the whole thing about intending to stay alive?

I think the solution would be more along the lines of "Timefreeze Jack until PM catches up, and then get the hell out"

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Let's not forget Sollux. He could pull out some as-yet-unseen Doom powers that could help out. I'm not sure how, really, the nature of Doom as a power element is one I haven't dedicated as much thought as perhaps I should, but there has to be a greater reason he's staying behind, otherwise Hussie would have taken the out to kill him off after popping himself on the journey to the Green Sun.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

so any guesses what Jacklike PM's name is going to be?

Paramount Marauder?

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Lamuella posted:

Paramount Marauder?

Bec Blanche

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Lamuella posted:

Paramount Marauder?

Paragon
Paladin

Monarchist
Mender, meliorator

Also his tumblr says no updates for a few days so I guess we can relax our f5 fingers.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tumblr post

Bad news: no updates for a few days, it seems.

Good news: holy poo poo.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Paul.Power posted:

Tumblr post

Bad news: no updates for a few days, it seems.

Space Jam remixes will never stop being awesome.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Paul.Power posted:

My God...

:stare:

...it's beautiful

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Paul.Power posted:

Holy poo poo indeed. Why do Space Jam remixes work so drat well with Homestuck music?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Holy poo poo indeed. Why do Space Jam remixes work so drat well with Homestuck music?

It seems like they work well with pretty much anything.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Ferroque posted:

It seems like they work well with pretty much anything.

Even other things that go with everything

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

piemanmoo posted:

they're outside the loops there's nothing guaranteeing they live or survive or succeed. they've done everything they needed to do to a) ensure they exist b) ensure the green sun exists there're no beta timelines anymore

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
I think I'm missing something. Why was Jack Noir able to catch up to the meteor, again? Sollux killed himself with the strain of propelling the meteor through the Furthest Ring far in excess of the speed of light. But First Guardian powers only work inside of universes "illuminated" by the Green Sun, and therefore they don't work in the Furthest Ring. And without First Guardian powers Jack can only move as fast as his wings allow him to fly.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Commutator posted:

I think I'm missing something. Why was Jack Noir able to catch up to the meteor, again? Sollux killed himself with the strain of propelling the meteor through the Furthest Ring far in excess of the speed of light. But First Guardian powers only work inside of universes "illuminated" by the Green Sun, and therefore they don't work in the Furthest Ring. And without First Guardian powers Jack can only move as fast as his wings allow him to fly.

If we assume that First Guardian powers let him move really fast, whats to slow him down on the way there? He started within the session after all. Space doesnt have much in terms of air resistance.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We don't really know how it works, but, basically, Jade can't go faster than light because she's nowhere near the Green Sun (and, indeed, is currently in the Author Dimension for 3 nanoseconds of Hussie-time or something), while Jack is heading directly at the Green Sun, the source of his power, so it works or something.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

We don't really know how it works, but, basically, Jade can't go faster than light because she's nowhere near the Green Sun (and, indeed, is currently in the Author Dimension for 3 nanoseconds of Hussie-time or something), while Jack is heading directly at the Green Sun, the source of his power, so it works or something.

No, this isn't right. Jade can't go faster than light because she's in a dimension not governed by the Green Sun (the real world), while Jack is too close to the Green Sun to fully use his First Guardian powers, since it doesn't govern the medium in which it hangs (the Furthest Ring) either.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bobulus posted:

But didn't Jade say her powers wouldn't work out in the Furthest Ring, even if she was right next to the sun?

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Commutator posted:

He hasn't caught up yet, and since they just left the green sun, presumably he won't be able to. I think Jack's imminent arrival was if they didn't leave right that second.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jesus, it's like some kind of music singularity.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Cabbit posted:

Jesus, it's like some kind of music singularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7OrY4RCRuM

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
Even before Bec's prototyping, Jack could gently caress poo poo up with his powers. He doesnt need the green sun to be able to kill everyone on the meteor, like he did in the timeline where Terezi didnt make a Vriska shishkabob. A Vriska-bob, if you will.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Paramount Marauder?

Postal Messiah, obviously. (It is a postal pun.)

Commutator posted:

Wings that allow him to fly at the speed of light, just not over it, are still a pretty big deal.

I still wish I knew why everyone was taking "I can't move faster than the speed of light." to mean "First Guardian powers in general don't work here.", because that's not what was said at all. Breaking the barrier of light is a pretty drat big deal, and it's nice that Jack can't use it to just catch up with the heroes now, but there's nothing saying the rest of his abilities don't work, which is why he's still so dangerous.

Bro and Davesprite nearly equaled 3X Prototyped Jack, and Liv Tyler with weapons pretty much did, so a bunch of God Tiers and end-game players wouldn't be nearly as worried if Jack was suddenly missing his green pyrotechnics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?

Or the other thing that goes with everything.