Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

We are never going to get closure on that. Just give up.

It will be revealed that Benjen found that he could warg into direwolves in his last ranging; unfortunatelly, he warged into Lady...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Coldhands is the body of Benjen Stark, but Ned warged into him just before he got the chop.

I was certain Coldhands was Benjen, but some stuff in Dance made me think it wasn't, can't remember what though.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Junkenstein posted:

Coldhands is the body of Benjen Stark, but Ned warged into him just before he got the chop.

I was certain Coldhands was Benjen, but some stuff in Dance made me think it wasn't, can't remember what though.

Probably the part where he said he was centuries old.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That would make sense.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Was it ever mentioned how old Ben Stark was?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

We are never going to get closure on that. Just give up.

I wish I could say that I even care who/what coldhands is at this point.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jakabite posted:

One thing that always puzzled me with that image: what the gently caress are the brown blobs that appear to be growing out of the Hound's left leg?

Heads on pikes behind Joffrey.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

If it feels like forever between books for us humans, imagine how it feels to be in those books.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I thought that the Children of the Forest only said that "they killed him long ago" and never said anything about an actual time frame

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZearothK posted:

Was it ever mentioned how old Ben Stark was?

He was the youngest in the Laughing Tree story, I think.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zocio posted:

It will be revealed that Benjen found that he could warg into direwolves in his last ranging; unfortunatelly, he warged into Lady...
I'm going to hold this as canon from now on. Poor Ned never even knew he killed his own brother (or maybe he did).

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Because people are bringing back the Benjen discussion, I propose an addition to the questionably dead: Quentyn Martell

We have a prince, ostensibly with blood of the dragon who ends a chapter burning. With Dani this manifests itself as a resistance to burning by magical fire and mitigation of dragonfire burns. Though he lacks the dragontaming abilities of his bloodline, he may still have the burn resisting abilities. Following his immolation, it cuts to Barristan viewing a body with a face burned so badly that the bone is visible and the remaining flesh is burnt. We also have no identifying features in his eye color, those are reduced to goo. Finally, he has little to no interaction with his caretakers, his lips are burned off and the description mentions he only speaks a couple words. Left undescribed is how the Dornishmen are captured or how much time passes between the end of the Dragontamer chapter and the events described in "The Queen's Hand". We therefore have an indefinite window for Drinkwater and Yronwood to hide their prince, possibly with the fleeing Mercenaries of the Tattered Prince and identify a terminally burned Westerosi mercenary as Quentyn to the Brass Beasts when they arrive. In the cell interrogation scene it is indicated that Pretty Meris is back with the Tattered Prince, despite her presence in the raid on the dragon cells. If other mercenaries escaped as well, they may well have brought Quentyn back with them for later ransom, or something.

Alternatively, a Darkstar did it, despite a lack of ear references.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
That would be horrible and stupid, would ruin the point of his character, and make the single kind of awesome thing he did utterly meaningless.

What I mean to say is that it's canonical and we should look forward to the adventures of Frog, The Prince That Was Promised.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Fire isn't the only way a dragon can kill someone, I would presume. Their teeth and claws are pretty sharp too and I could see them even slapping someone to death with their wings like a swan or divebombing them from great height. So immunity to their magic fire wouldn't make someone automatically impervious to their attacks as a whole.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

That would be horrible and stupid, would ruin the point of his character, and make the single kind of awesome thing he did utterly meaningless.

What I mean to say is that it's canonical and we should look forward to the adventures of Frog, The Prince That Was Promised.

Crap, I didn't look at it from that angle, he's waking dragons from their stone prison beneath Mereen and being reborn in the fire of being burned by dragons and the salt rubbed in his wounds by failing to tame said dragons. Frog as AA reborn? Maybe if we put a ton of peppers on grrm's next pizza rolls.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

DrPop posted:

I thought that the Children of the Forest only said that "they killed him long ago" and never said anything about an actual time frame

The conventional way to imply agelessness or extreme longevity of a mystical race is for their perception of time to be much slower than the POV character's. Plus in 5 books Martin has proven that if he doesn't scream "HE'S DEAD!!!" with the body being used as a door prop then he's probably alive. So Coldhands being Benjen, despite it making absolute sense, is probably false.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

DrPop posted:

Yeah, there are very few time references - which is probably smart on GRRM's part. The only one I found on a recent re-read, besides Dany being pregnant, is that Benjen was gone for 6 months before Ghost found the Wights and tore off an arm.

I've just assumed that each book takes up 8-10 months each. So it's just opinion of ~3 years = "long ago".

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Yeah, it would, people seem to always complain about him, but I think there is a bigger point to be made than just his failure. The whole thing happened because of the duty his family placed on him, and it didn't work out because of the whims of a teenage girl. One of the most important joining of families that could happen to Westeros and it went down the drain because of Dany. Which in the end, she married someone she didn't want to anyway. It seems to me it was meant to emphasize how uncapable Dany is(although that was quite obvious before), and to create the tension between Targaryan and Martell that would allow Aegon to take a foothold in Westeros.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aurubin posted:

So Coldhands being Benjen, despite it making absolute sense, is probably false.

My call is that it's just like R+L=J and GRRM is trying to come up with the least bullshit explanation because everyone guessed it and he's trying to keep up with "subverting expectations" instead of just telling the cliche in an unconventional manner and then subverting expectations when it'd make sense to do so.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Serious question: Is the black fish gay?, why won't he marry?, is his sigil some sort of ancient dildo? You know, what a fish would look like after having beening used as such.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Him and Ed are old flames.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
More like old flamers :smugbert:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Merry Christmas, Wild Cards (and Cards at heart), you grumpy bastards. I love you all.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
:frogout:

Breaking the 4th wall is raping the integrity of this thread. You absolute fucker.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember when it was one year ago and GRRM had shitdick?

The bad thread remembers...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mind the walrus posted:

Remember when it was one year ago and GRRM had shitdick?

The bad thread remembers...

Gurm always has shitdick.

Merry Shitdicksmas, I hope you all get assaulted by a 500 pound "writer" in a Krampus costume made of pizza and neeps.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Coldhands is Old Nan! This also explains why she knew so much about the Others.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

The Belgian posted:

Look I might've been wrong.

Benjen is Hodor 2, ie fake Hodor. Hodor 1, real Hodor, is Coldhands. Old Nan is the horse Theon couldn't eat properly.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Belgian posted:

There stood the old woman, mouth opening and closing

opening and closing

opening and closing

her mouth working

her mouth agape

opening and closing

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I can't work out if that's a reference to anything or not.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

Whether it is or not, its vaguely disturbing. Old Nan was apparently a kinky woman, modelled after GRRMs own mother.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Theon Turncloak stood in the courtyard of Winterfell, watching Old Nan, her mouth opening and closing

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
How was everyone's nightsoil this morning?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Vertigus posted:

Theon Turncloak stood in the courtyard of Winterfell, watching Old Nan, her mouth opening and closing

Oh, right.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zocio posted:

Serious question: Is the black fish gay?, why won't he marry?, is his sigil some sort of ancient dildo? You know, what a fish would look like after having beening used as such.

fish = pussy

black = rear end in a top hat

so yes.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 26, 2011

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Ser Brynden the rear end in a top hat Pussy, his banner fluttering in the cold vale winds behind him, black fishy dildo on a sea of bloodied brown nightsoil. He dismounted from his armored horse and approached the towering walls while his assembled men uncomfortably waited behind.

A lone armored figure met his silent challenge with an outstretched hand. The apparent commander of the redoubt raised his voice and called out "Who would pass The Bloody Gate?"

Instead of answering, The rear end in a top hat Pussy turned and undid the clasps of the browned chain greeves that protected his lower half, displaying his nude behind to the assembled soldiers atop the parapets of The Bloody Gate.

"Know that my mission is honorable and my cause true; I must needs have access to the soldiers of the vale! The land is in turmoil and cannot abide the rule of the cursed Lannisters for one moment longer!"

A chill wind blew through the Vale and lingered on the exposed buttehole of Ser Brynden. In the quiet, he felt distinctly aware of a dull rumbling that resonated throughout his midsection- the echoes of an earlier feast of greased lamprey pie. His moment was now or never, he knew, and action came quickly and decisively. Brynden bore down and a bassy staccato erupted from him as his bowels violently voided and shot their cargo as far as 3 feet from where he stood.

It was over as soon as it began. The doors of The Bloody Gate swung open as the cheers of the gathered knights and men-at-arms drowned out all but his thunderous after-farts.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Ashrik posted:

Ser Brynden the rear end in a top hat Pussy, his banner fluttering in the cold vale winds behind him, black fishy dildo on a sea of bloodied brown nightsoil. He dismounted from his armored horse and approached the towering walls while his assembled men uncomfortably waited behind.

A lone armored figure met his silent challenge with an outstretched hand. The apparent commander of the redoubt raised his voice and called out "Who would pass The Bloody Gate?"

Instead of answering, The rear end in a top hat Pussy turned and undid the clasps of the browned chain greeves that protected his lower half, displaying his nude behind to the assembled soldiers atop the parapets of The Bloody Gate.

"Know that my mission is honorable and my cause true; I must needs have access to the soldiers of the vale! The land is in turmoil and cannot abide the rule of the cursed Lannisters for one moment longer!"

A chill wind blew through the Vale and lingered on the exposed buttehole of Ser Brynden. In the quiet, he felt distinctly aware of a dull rumbling that resonated throughout his midsection- the echoes of an earlier feast of greased lamprey pie. His moment was now or never, he knew, and action came quickly and decisively. Brynden bore down and a bassy staccato erupted from him as his bowels violently voided and shot their cargo as far as 3 feet from where he stood.

It was over as soon as it began. The doors of The Bloody Gate swung open as the cheers of the gathered knights and men-at-arms drowned out all but his thunderous after-farts.

dat rear end

let me tell you about dat rear end, dawg

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

My call is that it's just like R+L=J and GRRM is trying to come up with the least bullshit explanation because everyone guessed it and he's trying to keep up with "subverting expectations" instead of just telling the cliche in an unconventional manner and then subverting expectations when it'd make sense to do so.
R+L=J was confirmed by Sean Bean. He's just trying to throw curveballs in a vain attempt to dissuade new readers into believing what they read online until he revels it in a future (hah) book. Remember in ADWD, we hear that Ned both slept with a fisherwoman and Tyrion sees that fake septa with the stretch marks from child birth.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Undead Unicorn posted:

R+L=J was confirmed by Sean Bean.
When/How did he do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

kcroy posted:

This is the best Shitdicksmas present ever!
So, how did all my little birds spend Shitdicksmas this year?