Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
On a 1-10 scale, how offensive is the word mulatto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Offensive to whom? To me, it's not offensive at all, but I have seen people give the term a raised eyebrow when used in conversations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone know anything about think tanks? Do they actually do a lot and not get much coverage from the media? Should they be called out more or are they actually doing what they're supposed to be doing?

VVVVVV I didn't know they did stuff based only on directions. I thought they also initiated independent research to form policies.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 24, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know anything about think tanks? Do they actually do a lot and not get much coverage from the media? Should they be called out more or are they actually doing what they're supposed to be doing?

Why should they be called out? People ask them for a report on something and they make the report.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

stubblyhead posted:

I have personally been told by a black man not to use that word, so pretty offensive.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

stubblyhead posted:

I asked around, and the replies ranged from "somewhat" to "very".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did the US actually pass a full up budget on Friday? I've been reading various news reports and none of them have really been clear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

I have personally been told by a black man not to use that word, so pretty offensive.

I've heard Haitian Americans use the term neutrally to denote a socioeconomic group in Haiti, that is composed of biracial people. Though in Haitian history, there's probably plenty of animosity toward those mulattoes.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Words have cultural context to them. It really depends on where you're going to be saying it. If you're unsure, err on the side of caution. "Mixed-race" is neutral almost everywhere, as far as I know.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

GenericOverusedName posted:

Words have cultural context to them. It really depends on where you're going to be saying it. If you're unsure, err on the side of caution. "Mixed-race" is neutral almost everywhere, as far as I know.

It is not a word that I would personnally use outside of Scrabble. I ask because I was listening to my police scanner yesterday, and a cop referred to a suspect as being mulatto or possibly hispanic. It struck me as really odd since you don't hear the word used much anymore.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

stubblyhead posted:

It struck me as really odd since you don't hear the word used much anymore.

I actually went to googles ngram viewer to see if this was true, because my sense is similar to yours, that few people use that word.

Eyeballing it, it looks like the peaks of mulatto usage seem to occur during US wars. I'm not sure why. In any case, mulatto seems to be more popular than both biracial and mixed race, as least in print. Outside of the usage peaks, I can't see any real decline in the use of mulatto, which seems to contradict my experience.

e: corpus of contemporary american english shows a decline over the last decade, so maybe it's a more recent thing.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 24, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's the name of the African "board" game where you dig two rows of five pits in the dirt and drop pebbles in them one-at-a-time in a clockwise pattern?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

What's the name of the African "board" game where you dig two rows of five pits in the dirt and drop pebbles in them one-at-a-time in a clockwise pattern?

Mancala

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a such thing as perfect tempo, analogous to perfect pitch?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

tractor fanatic posted:

No, but the closet analogy is "constant beat."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tractor fanatic posted:

I was a music dweeb in high school, and went to music camp at Appalachian State a few summers. I remember being in the sitting area outside the practice rooms waiting for someone I guess, and some of the regular college students were there too. They were basically doing exactly this with a metronome, and were pretty darn good at it. They made a point of ensuring the other one was not facing the clock.

I've always been really impressed with perfect pitch, though, it's really amazing how some people can just tell. I can usually guess within an augmented fourth or so myself. :v:

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
My brother and I have been trying unsuccessfully to remember the title of a movie that came out in the 90s. It was similar to the Home Alone movies, where some kid was stuck in a house where people broke in, so he's forced to play pranks on them and get food and stuff with a variety of remote control toys. Does anyone else remember this? Any help tracking it down would be appreciated. Again, it's not one of the Home Alone movies.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Man With A Plan posted:

My brother and I have been trying unsuccessfully to remember the title of a movie that came out in the 90s. It was similar to the Home Alone movies, where some kid was stuck in a house where people broke in, so he's forced to play pranks on them and get food and stuff with a variety of remote control toys. Does anyone else remember this? Any help tracking it down would be appreciated. Again, it's not one of the Home Alone movies.

Remote

quote:

Home Alone clone about a 13-year-old boy, obsessed with making remote controlled toys, decides to put them to use when he's trapped in a vacant model suburban house with three moronic prison escapees whom he proceeds to make mincemeat out of them.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

Remote

Man you're the best. This has been driving me and my brothers crazy for more than an hour, and no one on Facebook knew either.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am filing for unemployment. I didn't see where to post in BFC so I will ask here. What do they mean by wages here? What I earned in a year, or the entire time I worked?

Edit maybe it means 18 months?

b0nes fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 26, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: actually not that sure

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Man With A Plan posted:

Man you're the best. This has been driving me and my brothers crazy for more than an hour, and no one on Facebook knew either.

For future reference, searching "Home Alone ripoff" yielded another fellow with the exact same question as you on the IMDB message board.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

I am filing for unemployment. I didn't see where to post in BFC so I will ask here. What do they mean by wages here? What I earned in a year, or the entire time I worked?

Edit maybe it means 18 months?

Yeah, just the past 18 months. If you had four jobs in the past 18 months, you'd write down the total wage earned for each job. If only one job, the wage earned in that job. If over 11 years, just the last 18 months of those 11 years.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 26, 2011

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I need advice on a very stupid first-worldish problem.

My parents got my this Droid tablet thing (similar to an iPad) for Christmas today. it was VERY expensive, obviously, and really nice. Only thing is... I already have a Droid charge. It is pretty the same thing as the tablet- same features and everything, only the Kyros doesn't have a phone. I also have a laptop they got me last Christmas that was expensive enough as it is. What would I do on there that I can't already do on my laptop/phone? Nothing. I hate typing on tablets so I would never take it to school with me. It'd pretty much just sit in the corner of my room and collect dust.

I don't know what to do. I want them to return it and keep the money they spent because I know for a fact I will literally never use the thing. I feel like I'd be selfish and childish if I let on like I really enjoyed the gift. On the other hand, they seemed like they thought they really got me something great (which they did; it's just that I already had it) and I don't want to offend them by asking them to take it back. I'd be refusing any sort of money from them in exchange for it. They do enough for me as a college student without wasting money on a nice gift I will never use.

What do I do here? Any suggestions?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

SlenderWhore posted:

I need advice on a very stupid first-worldish problem.

My parents got my this Droid tablet thing (similar to an iPad) for Christmas today. it was VERY expensive, obviously, and really nice. Only thing is... I already have a Droid charge. It is pretty the same thing as the tablet- same features and everything, only the Kyros doesn't have a phone. I also have a laptop they got me last Christmas that was expensive enough as it is. What would I do on there that I can't already do on my laptop/phone? Nothing. I hate typing on tablets so I would never take it to school with me. It'd pretty much just sit in the corner of my room and collect dust.

I don't know what to do. I want them to return it and keep the money they spent because I know for a fact I will literally never use the thing. I feel like I'd be selfish and childish if I let on like I really enjoyed the gift. On the other hand, they seemed like they thought they really got me something great (which they did; it's just that I already had it) and I don't want to offend them by asking them to take it back. I'd be refusing any sort of money from them in exchange for it. They do enough for me as a college student without wasting money on a nice gift I will never use.

What do I do here? Any suggestions?
If they still have the receipt, ask them for it and explain that you will be exchanging the gift for something more useful. Of course, they should have known you have a laptop and phone that do what you want already, but oh well.

If they don't have the receipt, well, maybe you know someone who could use a Droid and can either buy it off you or give you something you need in exchange.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Excel question: I have a bunch of numbers that I want to turn into lines in a diagram. I want essentially a hundred or so lines, each consisting of two (x,y) points. That's the easy yet tedious part. Now, I also want to make a lot of them share the same colour and, if possible legend, preferably without having to change every god drat line individually. I would also like if it could tell me which point in the line is the first and which is the second.

Can that be done in an easy way?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BonHair posted:

Excel question: I have a bunch of numbers that I want to turn into lines in a diagram. I want essentially a hundred or so lines, each consisting of two (x,y) points. That's the easy yet tedious part. Now, I also want to make a lot of them share the same colour and, if possible legend, preferably without having to change every god drat line individually. I would also like if it could tell me which point in the line is the first and which is the second.

Can that be done in an easy way?

It depends what form your original data is in, and what programs you have access to, but the bottom line is "probably". I would check out the Scientific Computing Thread and/or the Excel Thread

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I applied for a prospective job about 9 or 10 months ago with a company that doesn't have a sales rep in my city yet (they fly a guy from somewhere else to my city 3-4 times a year). They told me they weren't looking for anyone in my region yet but would keep my resume on file since they do plan on hiring someone in my city at some point.

My question is; should I even bother following up with this? This is a company that I would really like to work for and I don't know if there's any etiquette in this situation that needs to be followed (or if they would even keep my resume on file).

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
A question about USPS:

I need some cardboard stiffener for some books I'm shipping, and I'm thinking of using one of those free boxes to do the job. Since the boxes state that they are solely to be used for Priority Mail shipping, and I'm planning to ship the books using Priority anyway, would it be legal to use them in this way?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ColdBlooded posted:

I applied for a prospective job about 9 or 10 months ago with a company that doesn't have a sales rep in my city yet (they fly a guy from somewhere else to my city 3-4 times a year). They told me they weren't looking for anyone in my region yet but would keep my resume on file since they do plan on hiring someone in my city at some point.

My question is; should I even bother following up with this? This is a company that I would really like to work for and I don't know if there's any etiquette in this situation that needs to be followed (or if they would even keep my resume on file).
You should, but don't expect anything. Six months is the longest a company would keep a resume, I'd think, before taking action or tossing it out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is the origin of the phrase "king poo poo of gently caress mountain"? Is it a reference to something specific or is it just a common expression?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zotwoz posted:

A question about USPS:

I need some cardboard stiffener for some books I'm shipping, and I'm thinking of using one of those free boxes to do the job. Since the boxes state that they are solely to be used for Priority Mail shipping, and I'm planning to ship the books using Priority anyway, would it be legal to use them in this way?

Just go get some empties from the liquor store like everybody else.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

What is the origin of the phrase "king poo poo of gently caress mountain"? Is it a reference to something specific or is it just a common expression?

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0112084/quotes?qt=qt0304028

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Just a bastardization of "King of the mountain", which is used to designate the best skier on the mountain, and by extension, the best at whatever you're talking about. And noting the post above, well, no one outdoes the Lord. =)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YLixd4LdlI

I dunno, you tell me.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
What is the cheapest way to ship large audio equipment? Specifically a floor standing speaker, a 12" subwoofer, and a reciever

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A year ago I broke my pelvis and in the course of fixing it I was given 2 cat scans. Now I'm experiencing some pain the x-rays can't account for, but they're reluctant to give me a third scan because apparently that's like, death to any potential I had to become pregnant and also a surefire way to get cancer.

I'm a little pissed about that, but the point is this: they're scheduling me for an MRI. What am I in for, radiation wise? Can I just kiss my ovaries goodbye/cancer hello after this or what?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Huntersoninski posted:

A year ago I broke my pelvis and in the course of fixing it I was given 2 cat scans. Now I'm experiencing some pain the x-rays can't account for, but they're reluctant to give me a third scan because apparently that's like, death to any potential I had to become pregnant and also a surefire way to get cancer.

I'm a little pissed about that, but the point is this: they're scheduling me for an MRI. What am I in for, radiation wise? Can I just kiss my ovaries goodbye/cancer hello after this or what?

MRIs do their imaging with the power of magnets. There's no exposure to ionizing radiation at all.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Huntersoninski posted:

MRI does not use any ionizing radiation, and if my doctor told me 3 x-rays was a "surefire way to get cancer" or become infertile I'd be looking for a new doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

randyest posted:

MRI does not use any ionizing radiation, and if my doctor told me 3 x-rays was a "surefire way to get cancer" or become infertile I'd be looking for a new doctor.

Sorry I worded that poorly: 3 cat scans, not x-rays. poo poo i've had soooo many x-rays.

edit: also thanks for the info. That's a relief: i wish they'd offered me the option for an MRI last year when all the cat scanning was happening :(