Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Coool. So, as I was backing up all of my shows data, I had the software monitoring for my RAID start barfing up errors. Lots of them.

Turns out drive 3 of my RAID 10 array would complain about a bad sector every 3-4 seconds. Over 500 times. I thought it couldn't be right, but then the drive dropped from the system and won't show in bios. Shiiit eh?

\/ Here in Canada, it takes them about a week to ship it, and they slap you with a $150 hold. But yeeeep.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

PopeOnARope posted:

Coool. So, as I was backing up all of my shows data, I had the software monitoring for my RAID start barfing up errors. Lots of them.

Turns out drive 3 of my RAID 10 array would complain about a bad sector every 3-4 seconds. Over 500 times. I thought it couldn't be right, but then the drive dropped from the system and won't show in bios. Shiiit eh?

Pay the $10 for advanced replacement, pucker up for two days until it gets there, then problem solved.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's always the possibility that the controller itself is going out. When even a $150k EMC SAN's controllers can burn out and take out half a shelf of disks, who's to say that it's not the controller dying on that port? Had that happen to me before, wound up just getting a new motherboard instead of dealing with PCI SATA controller tomfoolery.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

necrobobsledder posted:

There's always the possibility that the controller itself is going out. When even a $150k EMC SAN's controllers can burn out and take out half a shelf of disks, who's to say that it's not the controller dying on that port? Had that happen to me before, wound up just getting a new motherboard instead of dealing with PCI SATA controller tomfoolery.

Oh, it's the motherboard's inbuilt one too. I've tried changing ports and the drive still doesn't fuckin' show up.

Edit: Got it to come up, and I had a look at the SMART data.

C5 Current Pending Sector Count 957
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 890
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count 24
C8 Write Error Count 951

:stare:

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 19, 2011

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Nam Taf posted:

Should I be panicing yet?
Clear the error and watch patiently. Those 5 checksum errors are probably from before.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

\/ Here in Canada, it takes them about a week to ship it, and they slap you with a $150 hold. But yeeeep.

Just did a RMA this week with WDC Canada and $150 advanced RMA week to get the drive and they don't cover the cost of shipping return (which I was sure they use to).

But they shipped me a black drive to replace my failed green cache drive. Score!

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I'm going to college next semester, and would like to monitor my NAS hard drives remotely. One disk is a use disk, and the other a backup location for the use disk (Pictures/documents etc) The NAS is running ubuntu server, sabnzbd, couchpotato, and a samba share.

Should I be using smartd for monitoring HDD status, or should I just have someone give it the good ole ear every once in a while and see if they're still working? I'm near homicidal trying to make ubuntu email work with gmail, let alone getting smartd to play nicely.

What alternatives, if any, to ubuntu would do all this easier? I'm not computer illiterate, I just prefer to use my time for other things, rather than sitting around reading manpages for hours.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You definitely want smartd running. The ear test, as you put it, won't catch a lot of the issues that SMART monitoring will. It will only catch gross problems like head crashes or motors going out. SMART is not perfect, and won't catch everything either, but you're much more likely to catch many problems by paying attention to SMART than not.

But smartd and the ear test are really the best you can hope for. Any alternative to smartd, be it on Linux or any other OS, would just be a different wrapper on the same SMART data from the drives. That and having someone keep a hand on a drive to detect head parks when you're getting stutter issues or head parking is likely the best you can do. Hard drive failure, at its worst, can be a frustrating, uncertain, and unpredictable thing.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Can someone give me some guidance as to what sort of performance I should be expecting on my new storage build please?

I've installed the latest Nexentastor on a standalone box:

Storage: 6x 2TB 7200rpm Western Digital HDs connected via onboard ICH9 in raidz2, no compression, no dedupe.
Processor: Intel e8400 with 8GB RAM

I was getting what I thought was low performance using the built in CIFS sharing, so I nuked that and am now sharing out a 5TB zpool via iSCSI to a Server 2008R2 initiator (running under ESXi 5). Pretty much everything else is in 'default' configuration.

With both CIFS and iSCSI I'm getting between 15-30MB/s for both read and writes - I can live with this, but I was hoping for much better performance (comparable to the ~100MB/s I was getting on a similar setup using software raid 5 in a w2008r2 install). Is there something obvious I'm missing that I should be looking at? Is moving the ZIL out to it's own SSD going to make a huge difference?

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

"[oMa posted:

Whackster"]
Is there something obvious I'm missing that I should be looking at? Is moving the ZIL out to it's own SSD going to make a huge difference?

Does your network support jumbo frames? That might increase throughput by a good bit. ZIL will have no impact on reads, only writes. Also, you are on gigabit ethernet, right?

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

BnT posted:

Does your network support jumbo frames? That might increase throughput by a good bit. ZIL will have no impact on reads, only writes. Also, you are on gigabit ethernet, right?
Yep, ESXi server has a quad-port Intel ET gigabit card in, and the NexentaStor has an add-in single port Broadcom gigabit PCIe card - I can't seem to increase the frame size on the Broadcom card though (getting "ifconfig: setifmtu: SIOCSLIFMTU: bge0: Invalid argument", which makes me think the driver doesn't support it).

Is that likely to be a bottleneck then? I think I've got a dual port Intel server card somewhere that I can swap in if it's likely to make a difference.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

But smartd and the ear test are really the best you can hope for. Any alternative to smartd, be it on Linux or any other OS, would just be a different wrapper on the same SMART data from the drives. That and having someone keep a hand on a drive to detect head parks when you're getting stutter issues or head parking is likely the best you can do. Hard drive failure, at its worst, can be a frustrating, uncertain, and unpredictable thing.

I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I'll continue my attempts to make it work. Thank you for your input!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Someone in this thread a while ago was asking about portable NAS units with RAID. I'm not sure if he ever got an answer but I just stumbled across this thing: http://newertech.com/products/gmaxmini.php

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BnT posted:

I do this and it's amazing. I have the following hardware config:

Xeon E3-1230
Supermicro mATX C202
16GB ECC
4GB USB thumb-drive with ESXi v5
40GB SSD ESX local datastore/host cache on internal SATA
IBM m1015 SAS/SATA card with IT firmware (vt-d passthrough into Guest #1)
\- 7 x Hitachi 3TB 5400-RPM drives (RaidZ6)
\- Intel 20GB SLC SSD (ZIL)

Guest #1:
OpenIndiana/Napp-It, 1vCPU, 6GB dedicated RAM, ~16GB vdisk
ZFS Raidz6 with ZIL on the SSD
Lots of NFS and SMB exports, including an NFS export for the main ESX datastore

I use NFS for exporting the storage to ESX, as ESX freaks out and takes forever if it boots when an iSCSI target isn't available. NFS is a lot more graceful, and the other guests are just unavailable until Guest #1 starts and the NFS datastore is online. Large NFS reads and writes are absurdly fast (300MB-500MB/sec) for guests, and easily saturate the gig interface for SMB or NFS over the network.

I'm using this thing to store and process lots of video and it's perfect for these large, sequential reads and writes. I imagine if you had something with more random I/O (like a database or an Exchange server) it might be a bit of a dog unless you got faster drives.

Lastly, I'm always at or near 100% memory usage on ESXi with 16GB. At some point I might grab another 16GB but I have some bills to pay at the moment, heh.

I really like this idea. Hell, I'm half tempted to clone this but add at least one more VM to run my m0n0wall.

Edit: Any reason to get the m1015 over the considerably cheaper BR10i?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 23, 2011

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Honestly, that setup is what a number of large companies do for production environments supporting many legacy devices in the sense that they're using RDMs and other forms of direct hardware access from VMs. The problems mostly come down to confidence in that nobody does it, and your storage now becomes tied to a VM's availability and redundancy rather than as an independent part of your architecture. With that said, I'm probably migrating to that sort of a setup instead of buying an old EMC or NetApp (not like I'll be buying fibre channel disks anyway though).

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit: Any reason to get the m1015 over the considerably cheaper BR10i?
BR10i won't support 3TB+ drives and apparently neither will the LSI-1068E chips either. I'm hoping to buy up a couple of those controllers before word spreads much because I don't think there's another cheapish SATA/SAS controller that'll support drives that size.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Makes sense. I'm also debating how much CPU horsepower I really need on this...i.e. how painfully slow would that virtualization setup be on a Microserver or a cheaper dual-core i3 or i5? I do love the idea of finally going to ECC RAM though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't use ZFS on the same Microserver as one running ESXi VMs - it's pretty much a single function machine (ie. HTPC w/ Usenet & torrents, 2+ VMs, or ZFS - pick one).

The big issue with either the Microserver or i3/i5 would be the lack of VT-d support from the CPU / chipset, which makes the passthrough of the controller viable among other things. The other option of JBOD-in-VM support would be to use RDMs but given there's something really strange about how physical compatibility mode should not be used for ZFS (in direct contrast to what it's specifically meant for by VMware) I'd say you'd be crazy to try to use RDMs with ZFS at this point for a long-term solution. I'd say if you're looking at an i3/i5 to just get the E3-1230 Xeon (the downside here is the lack of mini-ITX motherboard options if you're into that sort of thing). I got a Microserver to separate the media I need locally from what I'd be fine with sidelined storage. A 24/7 NAS with 12+ disks is really wasteful for a home setup probably.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Hello goons,

In an attempt to streamline my life a bit more, I'm looking into setting up some sort of NAS solution for my home. I do quite a bit of video work, but I'd also like some nice consumer features since this will also double a media server. Here is my ridiculous list of requirements.

-4+ bays with support for 3TB drives
-Gigabit
-Torrent support
-Time Machine support (we are only running Lion)
-Ability to stream HD video to the PS3

Does such a product even exist? I'd prefer not to build my own, but it is sounding like I need to.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

QNAP's 4 bay models would fit your needs.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
As would Synology.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Up to this point I've been protecting my data by having two 2TB drives and every once in a while copying my main drive to my backup. In other words I wasn't really smart. Yesterday my backup drive died and I realised I hadn't done a backup for more than a month. I would have lost hundreds of photos if that had been my main drive.

I would like to get smart and pick up a NAS. I'm just looking for something that shows up as another drive in windows with as little pain and headache on my end as possible. I would like a 5-drive (or more) solution that can deal with 2 drives failing.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I found this Drobo 5 bay that looks like exactly what I'm after. I'd love to hear some expert opinions on it however.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

[edit] Are 5400rpm drives ok for a NAS or is there a benefit to spending more for faster drives?

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 25, 2011

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

FreakyZoid posted:

QNAP's 4 bay models would fit your needs.

Just remember that QNAP devices want you to use a "nearline" or enterprise class drive for storage. ie: Constellation line/wd black, which are more expensive but lower failure rates.

I also second a qnap 419p (find the newer atom based devices).

Mine does sickbeard/sabnzbd/couchpotato, gbit and streams to my boxee. It's awesome.

edit: not barracuda -> constellation

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 26, 2011

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'm new to NAS devices but have been wanting to buy one for a while and want to make sure I'm on the right track before I purchase everything. I just want an easy way to get Netflix and also stream movies/music/TV series to my TV.

What I plan/want to do:

Install XBMC on an Apple TV 2
- I've heard good things about this route over ps3 + ps3 media server which I currently use

Buy a Synology DS212j NAS with 2 x 2TB F4's
- Do I need to RAID0 these to make it a single disk, or can I get away with leaving them 2x2TB and make it still work the way I want it to?

Will this work as-is or do I need to add some conversion/encoding somewhere along the way?

Also, .iso/.rar files should work fine right? Not having to switch out discs would be nice so I can easily beast through TV seasons!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Finally have my NAS set it up the way I want it, so here's what it is if anyone wants to use it as a recommendation:
  • A HP N36L Microserver with 5.5TB in a zfs zraid1 (click here for details)
  • FreeNAS 8.0.2
  • A HP NC112T NIC (important, as the on-board AMD RS785E/SB820M chipset-based NIC have some problems with the FreeBSD driver)
  • A HP RAC controller (IPMI solution with thermal monitoring and virtual KVM, meaning I don't need a screen, keyboard or mouse to turn on/off and manage my server).
With LAGG I get about 1.8Gbps - as near as I can meassure it, em0 (the HP NC112T NIC) runs at 1Gbps all the time while bge0 (the on-board NIC) runs around 80% efficiency with drops after extended use. Even with that in mind, seeing line-speeds (97-98% utilization on 1Gbps cat5e with 9k mtu) over SMB sure is nice, and I'm not even fully utilizing the disks max i/o as that's well over 200MBps (benchmarked I/O with dd and zpool iostat)

I'm running out of ports in my switch though, so I had to order a D-Link DGS-1100-16 16 port managed switch. :smith:

"[oMa posted:

Whackster"]
:words: about zfs setup
I found that the biggest problem was my NIC (as mentioned above), after I took care of such things as too little memory (zfs is very hungry, I went with 8GB for a 5.5TB zraid1, but I was told a typical guideline is 1GB for every 1TB of diskspace across your disks in the zraid, including parity drives).
What CPU is in the machine? The one in my HP N36L is only 1.3GHz with hyperthreading but does SMB and iSCSI with no preformance problems (97-98% utilization on 1Gbps cat5e with 9k mtu, as mentioned earlier).
Also, are you using iSCSI file target or disk target? There's some performance loss on file targets, depending on what you're doing.

I setup FreeNAS in SuperMicro 2U server for a friend of mine, and that acts fine as a iSCSI attached storage for ESXi (no problems with preformance). Thought of looking at FreeNAS rather than NexentaStor?

kloa posted:

Do I need to RAID0 these to make it a single disk, or can I get away with leaving them 2x2TB and make it still work the way I want it to?
RAID0 is a really bad idea, unless you don't want data redundancy - if one disk fails, the entire array will fail.

kloa posted:

Will this work as-is or do I need to add some conversion/encoding somewhere along the way?
Well, what format are the files in? As far as I remember, XBMC plays most things as long as the hardware it runs on can decode it (if you're playing 1080p, you need more power than just a standard resolution dvdrip)

kloa posted:

Also, .iso/.rar files should work fine right? Not having to switch out discs would be nice so I can easily beast through TV seasons!
Again, this depends on XMBC, but as far as I recall it doesn't do iso mounting (this may have changed since I used it). As for rar files, I don't know if it supports on-the-fly decompression. I suspect it doesn't, though. There's not much point in keeping movies/series in rar files anyhow, they're already compressed by the video and audio codecs used.
Since you have the disks, why not rip and convert them to h264/aac - XBMC will play that fine.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 26, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: poo poo, doublepost. Disregard this.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Again, this depends on XMBC, but as far as I recall it doesn't do iso mounting (this may have changed since I used it). As for rar files, I don't know if it supports on-the-fly decompression. I suspect it doesn't, though. There's not much point in keeping movies/series in rar files anyhow, they're already compressed by the video and audio codecs used.
Since you have the disks, why not rip and convert them to h264/aac - XBMC will play that fine.

XBMC does play ISO files directly, and will also play anything inside a rar.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Excellent microserver FreeNAS stuff.

I have a Microserver with FreeNAS and about 4TB as individual zfs drives. I get about 40-50 megabytes per second throughput when writing to them via my desktop connected to my router, a gigabit Dlink DIR-655, but the connection seems to drop after a while, and then perhaps a minute later resumes, then drops again ad nauseum.

I tried to see if it was a problem with the router, so I connected up a DIR-615 instead that I got from my ISP (it's not a gigabit router though), where it's doing 6-7Mbps, but the drops still occur (but not for as long) as shown below:

You mentioned that this is a problem with the AMD NIC.

1. Is this the sort of issue you experienced with the NIC built in to the AMD motherboard of the N36 Microserver, i.e. 0 transmission to the NAS for a minute or so?
2. Was the issue completely solved by your HP NC112T PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter (503746-B21)?
3. Are there any other gigabit PCIe cards you can recommend besides this one?
4. Is there any configuration of FreeNAS required to tell it to use the PCIe NIC instead of the AMD one, if so, what is it?

Sorry for the :words:!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

More microserver freenas :words:
1: It sounds exactly like the issues I was experiencing with the NIC built in (what I call on-board in my previous post, which might've confused you into asking your first question), even to the speed you're getting (though I saw 80MBps with 9k mtu).
2: None that I've experienced so far, other than mounting it requires complete removal of the motherboard tray. The driver is already compiled into the kernel.
3: I think any gigabit NIC will do, as long as it uses the em driver (check HARDWARE on the manpage I linked). Only reason I got the HP NC112T (along with the RAC) was because it was sold cheap the same place where I bought the Microserver
4: As mentioned previously, it uses the em driver - works out of the box on anything that even thinks it looks vaguely like BSD in a mirror.

How much memory do you have, and why not run zfs zraid1/2? Surely that's the point of zfs/freenas to begin with.
Make sure to use jumbo frames (under Add New/Edit Interface (for whatever nic you end up using, including bge0) you can find something called Options where you add "mtu 9000"). Also make sure to set the same amount on your desktop (Google for how-tos, it's easy). It improves performance quite a lot on large file transfers.

Small note: Haven't I seen you on synirc somewhere? If you have questions, just stalk me in #letsplay or #pcgaming.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 26, 2011

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm looking at the Synology DS411 NAS, and it says it supports SATA I & II HDs with a total possible capacity of 12TBs, which means four 3TB drives. The only 3TB drives I can find are all SATA III drives. Do 3TB SATA II drives exist, or will the SATA III drives also work in this NAS?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The drives will be backward-compatible and simply connect at SATA II speeds. It won't even matter for their speed, because there isn't a platter drive out there than can exceed SATA II speeds even at their best burst rate.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I'm finding this NAS thing really quite overwhelming. I don't have massive needs - I'd love to be able to chuck a terabyte or two into an enclosure to map as a network drive, stream HD media using DLNA, and possibly grab some NZBs (but this would just be a bonus).

Would this Buffalo with 2TB drive bundled for £130 be a good deal, or would I be better off spending more money on a Synology DS110J and a cheap drive?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

1: It sounds exactly like the issues I was experiencing with the NIC built in (what I call on-board in my previous post, which might've confused you into asking your first question), even to the speed you're getting (though I saw 80MBps with 9k mtu).
2: None that I've experienced so far, other than mounting it requires complete removal of the motherboard tray. The driver is already compiled into the kernel.
3: I think any gigabit NIC will do, as long as it uses the em driver (check HARDWARE on the manpage I linked). Only reason I got the HP NC112T (along with the RAC) was because it was sold cheap the same place where I bought the Microserver
4: As mentioned previously, it uses the em driver - works out of the box on anything that even thinks it looks vaguely like BSD in a mirror.

How much memory do you have, and why not run zfs zraid1/2? Surely that's the point of zfs/freenas to begin with.
Make sure to use jumbo frames (under Add New/Edit Interface (for whatever nic you end up using, including bge0) you can find something called Options where you add "mtu 9000"). Also make sure to set the same amount on your desktop (Google for how-tos, it's easy). It improves performance quite a lot on large file transfers.

Small note: Haven't I seen you on synirc somewhere? If you have questions, just stalk me in #letsplay or #pcgaming.

Ok, excellent! I will get this NIC http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CY0P7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1F8YGP86NG3IP as your link of supported NICs says it's Ethernet Controller 82574L is supported (well, your link says 82574 is supported, and I couldn't find an 82574, i.e. I could only find an L version on the internet, so I'm assuming it's the same thing). Let me know if you think this is a terrible idea and I'll get the one you got (your HP one is 20quid more, hence why I'm thinking about getting the Intel one). If the Intel one doesn't work, it's not a big deal to return it.

I have 8 gigs of non-ECC 1333 ram in the Microserver, and 16 gigs on my desktop.

Regarding why I do not run ZFS zraid 1/2 - I intend to, once I have enough similar drives available to do it. I have about 3.5-4tb of data (on 4x1tb drives, 1x1.5tb and 1x2tb), and I'd like to put it all on 5x2tb Samsung F4s in zraid1, but I need prices on the drat drives to drop back to normal first, so possibly next year. Don't worry though, this is all media that I don't care enough for to backup or pay through the nose for redundancy at the moment - if a drive blows at the moment, it's not a huge deal. (my actual important poo poo, i.e. documents and photographs and poo poo are all backed up to the cloud as well as on 2 other drives).

Regarding Jumbo frames, this is excellent advice and I will do it once I have a network capable of supporting them! I need to get a standalone device capable of SABnzbd and Sickbeard other than my 10 year old R40 thinkpad which I'm pretty drat sure doesn't support jumbo frames or gigabit Ethernet. Plus I have a roommate, and I can't be hosed with configuring his laptop. So jumbo frames will have to wait, unfortunately.

Basically, I need this connection dropping horseshit of the onboard NIC on the N36 to be sorted out, and your excellent posts describes that this is a known issue with the drat thing and to just add a standalone NIC to fix it, which I will do! Will post a trip report!

Thanks very much man, really appreciated. And yes, you have a very keen eye, I am indeed in synIRC and have added letsplay to my channels (I am already in pcgaming and the GWS related ones and I am currently known as Stockingsandchips for the holiday period!)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Otik posted:

I'm finding this NAS thing really quite overwhelming. I don't have massive needs - I'd love to be able to chuck a terabyte or two into an enclosure to map as a network drive, stream HD media using DLNA, and possibly grab some NZBs (but this would just be a bonus).

Would this Buffalo with 2TB drive bundled for £130 be a good deal, or would I be better off spending more money on a Synology DS110J and a cheap drive?

Try out the buffalo, see if it's something you like. It's a bit like Babby's First NAS, so don't expect the world in terms of throughput etc. Should be able to stream your HD content just fine though as a network drive, just don't expect this thing to actually HTPC, i.e. decode and playback your media, or fetch your NZBs.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

devmd01 posted:

As would Synology.

Seems like this is the best choice after doing a bit of research. Is there any reason to go with the DS411 over the DS411j? It's just $100 more, but I can't find too much noticeable difference.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

mattdev posted:

Seems like this is the best choice after doing a bit of research. Is there any reason to go with the DS411 over the DS411j? It's just $100 more, but I can't find too much noticeable difference.

http://www.synology.com/products/compare_spec.php?lang=us&product_id_list=76%2C84%2C62#compare_show_top

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

mattdev posted:

I just (~3 hours ago) placed an order for the DS411. The j version seems to skimp on RAM and the processor is a bit slower.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That'll do just fine. It's the same NIC, mine is just HP branded.

Steakandchips posted:

I have 8 gigs of non-ECC 1333 ram in the Microserver, and 16 gigs on my desktop.
Well, that's enough then. I was just wondering if you might be running with the default 1GB which would be a bit too little.

Steakandchips posted:

Regarding why I do not run ZFS zraid 1/2
Fair enough. Do you intend to update your bios (scroll down to find a section on how to do this if you want to, and use the russian one floating around in order to get 5 disks in there? The SAS connector only supports 4 disks, and the other SATA port only runs IDE legacy mode (eg. no possibility of adding it to a zraid as that needs ACHI, and it runs at slower speeds).

Steakandchips posted:

Regarding Jumbo frames
I see. Well, it's not like you can't have computers on your network without it - it'll just benefit the computers that are configured for it.

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks very much man, really appreciated. And yes, you have a very keen eye, I am indeed in synIRC and have added letsplay to my channels (I am already in pcgaming and the GWS related ones and I am currently known as Stockingsandchips for the holiday period!)
You're very welcome. I probably should've added that I'm in euroland, so I might be hard to get in touch with at times on account of being in the future.

Also, if anyone needs an easy way to benchmark their disks write and read speeds respectively:
code:
time dd if=/dev/random of=/path/to/pool/dd.tst bs=1M count=1K
time dd if=/path/to/pool/dd.tst of=/dev/null bs=1M
Depending on your drives and where/what you're doing with your data, you might add conv=sync to the write test as well (read the manpage for more info).

And remember, on FreeBSD, RTFM means read the fine manpages.

EDIT: Wheelchair Stunts is right, /dev/random is better, both because it functions as /dev/urandom on linux in that it's non-blocking and pseudo-random for better testing of compression and caching (especially if you've got zil and log on three (two for mirrored zil, one for log) seperate ssds - and on FreeBSD, /dev/urandom is actually just a symlink to /dev/random for the reasons stated before). Thanks for reminding me of this.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 27, 2011

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
Wouldn't it be a better benchmark to use pseudo-random data rather than just zeros? I imagine compression settings and caching could impact this greatly, especially considering how closely tied ARC is to the pool.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Fair enough. Do you intend to update your bios (scroll down to find a section on how to do this if you want to, and use the russian one floating around in order to get 5 disks in there? The SAS connector only supports 4 disks, and the other SATA port only runs IDE legacy mode (eg. no possibility of adding it to a zraid as that needs ACHI, and it runs at slower speeds).

Yep, got the updated BIOS :) Thanks mate, once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

I just (~3 hours ago) placed an order for the DS411. The j version seems to skimp on RAM and the processor is a bit slower.

I forget which one but the dual core also switches to an x86 Atom based processor instead of an ARM. It will make a difference if you want to run crashplan.