Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Because Lucas is a loving hack, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
FIVE loving MINUTES of research could have prevented that. I would really like to ask the responsible writer what he was thinking. Probably he wasn't thinking at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do Smugglers dress like Han Solo in the Star Wars MMO? I guess there was a Smuggler conference and they agreed upon one outfit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hungry Gerbil posted:

FIVE loving MINUTES of research could have prevented that. I would really like to ask the responsible writer what he was thinking. Probably he wasn't thinking at all.

They were thinking "I literally can ignore anything about Star Wars except the movies" and then later "99% of non-movie Star Wars is poo poo, don't pay attention to any of it."

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Ryloth was an opportunity for having a unique, unusual location with interesting visuals. What wasted potential. I can understand ignoring all the crap in the EU, but changing Ryloth was just unnecessary. :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Ryloth was an opportunity for having a unique, unusual location with interesting visuals. What wasted potential. I can understand ignoring all the crap in the EU, but changing Ryloth was just unnecessary. :psyduck:

Accepting the EU means that you're at least somewhat obligated to stick with the EU, even if it would involve altering your story. Simply ignoring it gives the show writers more freedom to do what they want instead of needing to be familiar with a bunch of extracanon stuff.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

ImpAtom posted:

Accepting the EU means that you're at least somewhat obligated to stick with the EU, even if it would involve altering your story. Simply ignoring it gives the show writers more freedom to do what they want instead of needing to be familiar with a bunch of extracanon stuff.
But the existence of Ryloth itself is from the EU.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do Smugglers dress like Han Solo in the Star Wars MMO? I guess there was a Smuggler conference and they agreed upon one outfit.

Because Smugglers are space cowboys who deal drugs and fly space ships instead of riding horses in Star Wars. What self respecting space cowboy doesn't rock that look?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hungry Gerbil posted:

SWTOR and especially my companion Vette made me read more about the Twi'leks and now I have a question: Why did they retcon their homeplanet Ryloth from an unusual, interesting tidal locked one into a boring normally rotating one in Clone Wars? Why?

Edit:
I mean, are the people making these shows retards? Reading at least a short description of the planet as preparation for making an episode wouldn't take more than five minutes. What the gently caress?

Are you serious? It's no longer a planet with consistent dark and light sides where the twi'leks can only live on the twilight equator? That's bullshit!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flagrant Abuse posted:

But the existence of Ryloth itself is from the EU.

If you mean them using the name itself it was probably "eh this name sounds sci-fi ish and isn't absurdly retarded like Teh Roxxor so let's just call it a day."

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

computer parts posted:

If you mean them using the name itself it was probably "eh this name sounds sci-fi ish and isn't absurdly retarded like Teh Roxxor so let's just call it a day."
I mean Ryloth in general. The name of it, it being the twi'lek homeworld, its crazy weather (which they kept and just didn't bother to keep an explanation for), the planet being fairly inhospitable, all of that. They basically kept it exactly like it is in the EU, minus the tidal locking and the living primarily underground. It's pretty clear that they actually did know poo poo about it, they just... chose not to keep it, or something.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

computer parts posted:

I loving hate the EU sometimes.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

computer parts posted:

Teh Roxxor

Hahahahahahahahahaha... what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
For a minute there I thought somebody had simply vandalized Wookieepedia.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Why the gently caress is there idiotic space hobos living on a space facist battle station?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Faces? In MY Death Star?

But really, how are we still reacting in surprise to cannon mistakes and stupid names for thing?

We should all just accept it and be thankful that the EU doens't get the full attention of Lucas. Imagine if he edited in a dozen CGI space badgers for Han to fight after he kills Greedo.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Something I thought of last night. How hosed up is that the planet that is the largest supplier a illegal drug (spice) to also be the go to prison for pretty much any one. So to get rid of our criminals we send them to a planets whose main export is drugs.

Thats like the US sending cocaine dealers to Colombia.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Edit: wrong thread

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Darth Freddy posted:

Thats like the US sending cocaine dealers to Colombia.

They do already, they're called the CIA.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm sure in one of the Kevin Smith EU books Lando was quite happy attempting to buy Kessel and was going to happily continue to sell space crack whilst bringing in health and safety laws for the convicts.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Looks like we probably wont be getting a 20th anniversary for Dark force rising. Apparently the sales of Heir To the Empire never really did enough in sales.

http://clubjade.net/?p=32691

Kind of sad considering Zhans notes really added a lot to the book plus all the little jabs at Lucus made me laugh.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Hungry Gerbil posted:

From what I've seen in interviews and making ofs, the writers know a fuckton about the EU; they respect it and tend to put in references wherever possible. The problem is that George Lucas has final say on the stories, and he's often the one making the stupid changes.

I can't find the video right now, but there used to be interviews with the staff on starwars.com where you don't have to read much between the lines to see what they think of the situation. Something like "Although Even Piell dies in this book, George decided to have him be killed much earlier, in this episode. (pause) And it was an awesome idea, it's much more powerful! (invisible subtitles: Don't fire me please)"

The one video I love is for "Cat and Mouse", where Dave Filoni talks about calling George out on the man's own "No ship that small has a cloaking device" precedent and getting "Well, this one does" as a reply.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 30, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lucas has to be mentally ill.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Found a new way to have fun on Wookiepedia. Find all the user submitted characters and....."artwork".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Layahna

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dwitzel

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sylphe

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bob Anderson, the swordsman who portrayed Darth Vader in the lightsaber battles of ESB and RoTJ, has died. He was 89.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16383728

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This is a real LEGO product.

It's Porkins

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is a real LEGO product.

It's Porkins

Ahahah that's awesome, what sets did he come with?

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
I cannot wait. Jek gives hope for all of us fat fanboys that want to be x-wing pilots.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

movax posted:

Ahahah that's awesome, what sets did he come with?

The newest X-Wing set. He also comes with the new R5 droid figure.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The newest X-Wing set. He also comes with the new R5 droid figure.

Why does it have to be over a hundred bucks? I need an X-Wing to compliment my TIE Fighter!

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I remember buying the original X wing with its little supply cart for around $30, when the hell did Lego get so expensive?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I remember buying the original X wing with its little supply cart for around $30, when the hell did Lego get so expensive?

Right around the same time they realized how much money grown men would be willing to pay for them.

It's pretty much stopping me from impulse buying sets when I go to the store. I really wish I had the money for the Imperial Shuttle too :(

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 4, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Lego prides itself on never outsourcing labor, so yeah the prices have been ballooning like crazy over the past decade.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Don't sweat it too much, that's just price gouging since the set isn't technically out yet. Actual cost should be closer to $60.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/9493_X-wing_Starfighter

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does anyone know what the -ooine suffix means?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

Right around the same time they realized how much money grown men would be willing to pay for them.

It's pretty much stopping me from impulse buying sets when I go to the store. I really wish I had the money for the Imperial Shuttle too :(

You probably want to act as soon as you can, I think it's technically a 2010 set which means prices will skyrocket soon. A lot of the older Star Wars UCS sets are now gouging on eBay :(

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Baron Porkface posted:

Does anyone know what the -ooine suffix means?

Nope, but the Ord prefix means 'Ordinance/Regional Depot' and originates from the planets being used as colonial supply depots.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Can-O-Raid posted:

Nope, but the Ord prefix means 'Ordinance/Regional Depot' and originates from the planets being used as colonial supply depots.

Huh. Well, that would explain why they're fighting over Ord Mantell in "The Old Republic."

Weirdest thing about that game? Questing on Alderran.

Freakin' Alderran.

Only one joke about "blowing up the whole planet" so far at least...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I decided on a whim to get the complete saga on blu-ray. I will probably watch it tomorrow or Sunday. I was just curious what you guys thought of the set. I heard that the special features were worth the price of the set alone.

Honestly, I haven't seen the Special edition 4-6 or 1-3 since they came out in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BigRed0427 posted:

So I decided on a whim to get the complete saga on blu-ray. I will probably watch it tomorrow or Sunday. I was just curious what you guys thought of the set. I heard that the special features were worth the price of the set alone.

Honestly, I haven't seen the Special edition 4-6 or 1-3 since they came out in theaters.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(Yes the special features are really good. But, still. Noooooooooooooooooo :( )