Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

So Cal goons -- let's get together for a drop in next week. Looks like there isn't poo poo at Anaheim Ice, KHS, or Toyota Sports Center. My Tuesday night drop in at Burbank is cancelled.

Pickwick has some stuff on Tuesday during the day. But that isn't that close to anyone who would usually skate at Anaheim.

Maybe Tuesday at Bay Harbor? It looks like we gotta email the guy which I can do. Not sure of what levels these drop in are.

Acethomas, you in? DC? Anyone else around for it? Does daytime work?

Of course I'm in, I get off work at 430 and drive back down from the Valley so I'm usually home by 6pm. You going to the suite party on NYE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nah, Staples suites are kinda weak and I've already got tickets I'm trying to offload for that night. I'll be with my girlfriend's family I bet

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've got tickets to the New Years Kings-Canucks game that I'm excited about .

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bewbies posted:

I snapped the blade on my 52 Cal at pickup last night. There went a fine stick. :(

I really want to get a couple more of these but the ROCK BOTTOM PRICES on the S19s and X60s right now are making this decision difficult. Also, Tron poo poo looks really interesting.

DECISIONS DECISIONS

Yeah...about that Tron poo poo...

So I ordered two identical LE C3s (its the most PM9-ish pattern) last week since they're currently 50% off, and they arrived yesterday. One is fine except the flex feels more like 120 than the 90 they advertise. The other feels like a 90, but has a completely different curve, a higher lie, and 10 more grams. I'm keeping the one that seems fine but has a stiffer flex (we'll see how that works out for me). Their return policy is that you have to pay shipping, so I e-mailed them last night about that since clearly they didn't send me what I ordered and it's kinda :wtf: that they'd expect me to pay for the return shipping. Haven't heard back yet, but with the holidays don't expect to until next week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Merry late Christmas, fellow hockey goons.

Scored some RBK 11K elbows from Santa!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Merry Christmas hockey goons dont forget the World Juniors started today!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just got some new pants and skates yesterday. Easton EQ30 Pants and Bauer Vapor X4 skates. Now I just need to get out and start playing again.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Just saw the new Easton 2012 protective gear on hockeymonkey. Prices look good as does the overall look, I might be ending my Bauerness this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have Easton's EQ30 pants too, and think they're pretty great.

Caveat being I'm still pretty new to hockey so don't have a lot to compare to, but I feel bulletproof when I put the things on. 4 months of use and no signs of quality issues.

The zippers on the inner thigh can be annoying, good for putting the pants on when skates are on your feet, but they tend to snag the webbing a lot which sucks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Obviously I haven't played with them yet but my old pants were coopers ... yes coopers. So the difference is night and day. Pretty light and pretty protective but the best part is all of the mobility.

The skates feel super stiff and light, much much much better than the Vapor X3 LTDs

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Verman posted:

Obviously I haven't played with them yet but my old pants were coopers ... yes coopers. So the difference is night and day. Pretty light and pretty protective but the best part is all of the mobility.

The skates feel super stiff and light, much much much better than the Vapor X3 LTDs

The X4s do an awesome job of molding to your feet without needing to be baked. After the first skate in mine they were perfect. You should enjoy them!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Just saw the new Easton 2012 protective gear on hockeymonkey. Prices look good as does the overall look, I might be ending my Bauerness this year.

Dude your stuff is super nice, what do you need to upgrade?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I love buying gear :( its an unstoppable need everytime I see something cooler (ie that e700). Send help! Any news on tomorrow? (just saw Dan's email, you doing the next staples skate?)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Yeah what happened to skating?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Acethomas posted:

I love buying gear :( its an unstoppable need everytime I see something cooler (ie that e700). Send help!

It's impossible for me to get my skates sharpened without buying something. I usually get something small to try and prevent myself from going after the big stuff. Up to a dozen pucks so far!

(which actually are pretty useful, I toss them on the living room floor as obstacles when practicing with a tennis ball)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace, just put your money into a league here, it's like buying a new piece of gear every few weeks with how expensive it is.

DC I posted a few options at the end of the last page but never heard from you. Sounds like Ace has to work so daytime stuff is out.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Ace, just put your money into a league here, it's like buying a new piece of gear every few weeks with how expensive it is.

DC I posted a few options at the end of the last page but never heard from you. Sounds like Ace has to work so daytime stuff is out.

Yeah I know, I'll probably join up with the league at Skating Edge since you seem to enjoy it so much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I imagine with all the holiday tourneys this week its going to be tough to find a normally scheduled icetime.

I'm around until the 6th or so so anytime up til then I'm up for it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I was at a Perani's nearby getting a few odds and ends (laces, tape, stick wax etc.) and noticed that Warrior's senior sticks are now about two inches taller than they used to be. Their intermediates are still smaller than their senior sticks used to be, so...yeah. Unless you're really tall (I'm 6'0'') then you're going to be cutting down the shaft if you want a Warrior. And I generally like Warrior sticks.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gio posted:

I was at a Perani's nearby getting a few odds and ends (laces, tape, stick wax etc.) and noticed that Warrior's senior sticks are now about two inches taller than they used to be. Their intermediates are still smaller than their senior sticks used to be, so...yeah. Unless you're really tall (I'm 6'0'') then you're going to be cutting down the shaft if you want a Warrior. And I generally like Warrior sticks.

The Widows are the perfect height for me, and they are awesome sticks, which is why I love them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think my love affair with Combat is at an end. I cannot find the 52 Cal R with the curve and flex I want, and there are X60s for $150 on ebay right now. I just ordered a pair. It makes me kind of sad for some reason. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

I imagine with all the holiday tourneys this week its going to be tough to find a normally scheduled icetime.

I'm around until the 6th or so so anytime up til then I'm up for it.

Jan 3 is our private drop at Pickwick. $15. Late.

It is very chill. Last time some Armenian douches came by and ruined it. We have players of all skill. Our goalies are terrible. If that sounds good hit me up and I'll give you details and RSVP for ya.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Where would be the best place in/between Richmond, VA and DC to get skates? Re-read the OP and got the needed inspiration to move back to the ice while I destroy the walls in my basement.
Any decent ideas for a little shooting practice dealio I could build? Thinking a couple sheets of plexiglass

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ManicJason posted:

I haven't played much up north in five or six years, but Fairfax used to be poo poo, especially for hockey. Reston was much, much nicer and had more hockey. Ashburn is also nice if you're out that way.

Richmond has two full size rinks, one west in Short Pump and one south of the river in Chesterfield. It looks like there's a decent amount of pickup both places during the holiday weeks.

edit: Totally forgot about Kettler, the Capitals practice rink in Arlington. Supposed to be very nice, though I've never had a chance to check it out. I moved before it was built.

Trip Report: I went to pickup at Richmond Ice Zone in Chesterfield yesterday. It was a good skate. A bunch of people showed up and I wasn't the worst guy there (but probably 2nd worst). There were a few guys who I think were ACHA players who were pretty sick.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Any decent ideas for a little shooting practice dealio I could build? Thinking a couple sheets of plexiglass

Do you mean for a pad to shoot off of? In my backyard I shoot off of one of these: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=M920 into a sheet I have hanging from a clothesline and anchored with bricks. It works pretty well for how cheap a setup it is.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 28, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Where would be the best place in/between Richmond, VA and DC to get skates? Re-read the OP and got the needed inspiration to move back to the ice while I destroy the walls in my basement.

I got something from home depot/lowes that is called 1/8" smooth panelboard, almost like a whiteboard, came in a 8'x4' sheet for $7 or something. Just needed a little silicon spray for the puck to slide good. Heard it doesnt hold up every well to slapshots, but good for stickhandling/wrist shots

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Where would be the best place in/between Richmond, VA and DC to get skates?

Probably Kettler. Ashburn has a half decent selection and will order stuff for you, too, but Kettler is their parent rink anyway.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

dms666 posted:

I got something from home depot/lowes that is called 1/8" smooth panelboard, almost like a whiteboard, came in a 8'x4' sheet for $7 or something. Just needed a little silicon spray for the puck to slide good. Heard it doesnt hold up every well to slapshots, but good for stickhandling/wrist shots

This rules.

gigabitnokie posted:

Probably Kettler. Ashburn has a half decent selection and will order stuff for you, too, but Kettler is their parent rink anyway.

Right on. I'll get a pair next time I'm up for a Caps game which should be in 2 weeks! :toot:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Got the new Eagle PFX gloves. They're the "low end" of the Eagle line, but have a lot of high end features. Wore them for the first time in game last night, and they didn't need any breaking in. Completely soft and comfortable with a nice snug fit. Really glad I got them as my old gloves were so worn they would chafe my hands, scrape my thumb joint on slappers, and didn't provide great protection.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Just got a text from our best player saying he's going to the winter classic instead of playin for our team this season. Ugh. Somehow we managed to drop 4 players (including our goalie) after last season finished. This is what I get for bein on the free agent team.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

cenzo posted:

Just got a text from our best player saying he's going to the winter classic instead of playin for our team this season. Ugh. Somehow we managed to drop 4 players (including our goalie) after last season finished. This is what I get for bein on the free agent team.

Wait, he decided not to play hockey for a season in order to go to the Winter Classic?

Not a trade I'd make.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That is a drat tough call. I spent probably $350 total to go to the Heritage Classic in Calgary, and it was absolutely awesome. (Un)Fortunately I did not have to put that money up against hockey fees at the time or it would have been a really, really hard decision.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Watching 1 game (vs watching it on TV) vs playing in 16 games? Maybe I'm spoiled by the number of games I go to but seems like a no brainer to take the league...

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I was going to ask if they're lower level seats but:

1) Even if they're lower level you're like 20 yards from the glass for the Winter Classic.
2) The seats are still in Philadelpha.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Stanley Cup Finals game seven sure. Outdoor game where you spend 90% of it watching a jumbotron if you actually want to see what's up, no thanks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this week at work I spent the whole time searching for a new stick instead of working. I decided on a pair of x60s on ebay for $310 shipped, placed order, get an email that says they're out of x60s so they're sending me a pair of APXs instead. Sweet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone have any general advice for getting rid of pucks when out numbered?

I seem to keep getting myself in a position where I'm alone on an island and effectively hand the puck over to the wrong team. Granted, this is just scrimmage, so no one's really playing their position anyway and I'm not really familiar with the patterns of anyone, so it's pretty hard to make decent area passes. But I'd still like to make better decisions.

The defensive zone is easy.. put it in the corner or up the boards. But at neutral ice, is it okay to send the puck backwards to a defender? Or dump it into the offensive zone and be content with the turnover? What about the offensive zone? Does it piss people off if I send it towards neutral ice? Or is it best to try and wear out the other team and forcing them to chase the puck behind their net?

Or just never give up and fight to keep the puck until it's forcibly taken from me? If I was a better skater that might make the most sense, but I still feel pretty clumsy in close quarters situations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Defensive zone: Chip it off the glass and out if you don't have a pass. Don't just ring the puck around the boards - all you'll do is turn it over to the opposing defenseman. If you have to, eat the puck and wait for help to arrive.

Neutral zone: you can either dump the puck in to a dead spot (corners) or make a regroup pass backward. Don't be afraid to move the puck back to an open defenseman! In fact, I think that's one of the big mistakes I see in lower level play. People get "football vision" and think they can only move the puck forward. In no-check hockey, making a regroup pass usually makes more sense. Dump and chase is significantly less effective sans body contact.

Offensive zone: well...if you're outnumbered then there should be an open man somewhere. Look for him. If in doubt, put the puck on net or, again, eat it and wait for help to arrive.. Don't send the puck back out of the zone. You might give up a breakaway or an odd man rush.

e: Watching the Avs game right now brings to mind another useful tip: Watch pro hockey games with a critical eye. What do pro players do in the circumstances you describe? Just be sure to look for individual tactics as opposed to set plays. I think you'll find some useful examples there.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 1, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Dangerllama posted:

Don't send the puck back out of the zone. You might give up a breakaway or an odd man rush.

Along these lines...

I'm sure there are a bunch of things that young players are coached never to do. I started playing as an adult so I don't have memories of being screamed at as a seven year-old etched into my psyche to keep me from doing stupid stuff.

So, what things should I never do?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thufir posted:

Along these lines...

I'm sure there are a bunch of things that young players are coached never to do. I started playing as an adult so I don't have memories of being screamed at as a seven year-old etched into my psyche to keep me from doing stupid stuff.

So, what things should I never do?

Never throw the puck up the middle in the defensive zone.

Never make moves at either blue line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

e: Watching the Avs game right now brings to mind another useful tip: Watch pro hockey games with a critical eye. What do pro players do in the circumstances you describe? Just be sure to look for individual tactics as opposed to set plays. I think you'll find some useful examples there.

I try to do that, but I've found it hard to translate the things I see in pro games to my play.. for one, I'm nowhere near as athletic as even the slowest NHL player so there's a bunch of stuff I can't even attempt. And two, it can be hard to tell if what they're doing is good sense or random luck.

Plus, TV broadcasts don't always show everything on the ice to see what kind of setup happens behind the play.

Sometimes you just gotta ask. :science: