Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

The Sheriff Jake posted:

I am sorry but I must of missed it but can you post this unblockable set up please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qAtybtQjE

I managed to get this to work on all sizes of character:

<foo starter into launcher>, M, M, H, d.H, elevator down, h (2 hits), d.h, S, M, M, H, bon voyage. Dash under H into snap back. I've seen it performed with 2 attacks, but I prefer to do it with the stick. I slide the meter building assist call in right as I am doing my H after elevator-ing down.

Once you get the opponent out you call skrull and charge the swoop, your swoop will put them into spinning if they are in the air. I usually try to unfly into H (grounded), S, and then back into the combo. If for some reason they touch the ground first I skip the unfly and use S to unfly me and create enough hitstun to follow up with M H S into combo.

EDIT: if you want to instead end the combo, instead of dashing under, do one hit of H into S, air H, air S into fire breath super. Deals a lot of damage for 1 meter, runs out a shload of time too. You can cancel the start of this into inferno into morrigan's shoryuken super too if you have meter to burn and need a character dead.

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Seizure Robot posted:

I was detailing why Firebrand isn't a terrible character in response to you claiming he is over and over with no reasoning behind it other than "low damage" and "but Chris G..." but ok dude.

If you're done trolling I can totally be done pointing out the total inaccuracy of all of your posts and it will definitely be for the better.

And the second anyone gets anywhere in a tournament with Firebrand I'll eat crow but I still think all the tools in the world don't matter when they're limited by player execution (see: Jill, C. Viper, etc). Agree to disagree but read your first response to me and consider that you don't get the best debate out of someone when your initial argument starts with "I disagree therefore you are dumb"

Eldred fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 26, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Eldred posted:

And the second anyone gets anywhere in a tournament with Firebrand I'll eat crow

Didn't Chrisis do really well at SCR with firebrand?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just got this game yesterday for Christmas. Haven't payed too much, but so far I love Nemesis I want to keep using him and never let him go~

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Jmcrofts posted:

He didn't get out of pools so no

e; Unless you mean Chris G but he always switched Firebrand out when the going got tough

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

He didn't get that far but he did beat Flocker 2-0 with Firebrand/Viper/Strider which I'd consider pretty notable. I can't remember who knocked him out.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Eldred posted:

Jesus christ, it was a flippant joke because the guy's been posting three paragraphs of condescension in response to everything he disagrees with. Enough
He wrote a coherent argument that detailed the reasons why Firebrand is a good character and you're trying to dismiss him with ad hominem because you don't understand the game well enough to raise counter-points.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Eldred posted:

And the second anyone gets anywhere in a tournament with Firebrand I'll eat crow

She-Hulk was a top tier character because people place top 8 consistently in tournaments with her.

Is Viper a bad character because so few top players used her?

Is Zero a bad character because so few top players used him?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Fereydun posted:

She-Hulk was a top tier character because people place top 8 consistently in tournaments with her.

Poor She-Hulk. Why did they do that to her, why? :smith:

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Ybrik posted:

Poor She-Hulk. Why did they do that to her, why? :smith:
Japan is afraid of big green monsters in the top tier. :unsmith:

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Fereydun posted:

Huh? What I mean is, if Firebrand (or any other character) is some massive threat that's being slept on surely some player will break into competitive play with them. If anything picking esoteric characters is a leg up because everyone knows Wesker's like, three tools but that's not close to true with relative unknowns like Firebrand.

I suppose it's possible there's some recluse out there like Bum who's tearing poo poo up but I think evidence of how a character performs competitively is more valuable than pontificating on what they can pull off in an idealized situation

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Eldred posted:

Huh? What I mean is, if Firebrand (or any other character) is some massive threat that's being slept on surely some player will break into competitive play with them. If anything picking esoteric characters is a leg up because everyone knows Wesker's like, three tools but that's not close to true with relative unknowns like Firebrand.

I suppose it's possible there's some recluse out there like Bum who's tearing poo poo up but I think evidence of how a character performs competitively is more valuable than pontificating on what they can pull off in an idealized situation

This would be true if we didn't play the game, sure. But we do play the game and we can and should judge reality for ourselves. Do you just never think about how good a character is for yourself, and just only play characters you see win on stream?

It is not like there is an even distribution of firebrand players (of even skill) at each of the tournaments that have been held so far. This is complex enough of a variable that it screws up this primitive analysis you are attempting.

We have seen several times in MvC3 where we knew a character was really good before they were fully realized ON STREAM by tournament players. Dante is a great early example, Viper is the late example.

Also, firebrand is new.

edit- I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying we discuss these games on here and its more fun if you say "well I think this character sucks because his _____ is rear end or ____ is unsafe" rather than referencing STREAMS.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 27, 2011

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

40 OZ posted:

This would be true if we didn't play the game, sure. But we do play the game and we can and should judge reality for ourselves. Do you just never think about how good a character is for yourself, and just only play characters you see win on stream?

It is not like there is an even distribution of firebrand players (of even skill) at each of the tournaments that have been held so far. This is complex enough of a variable that it screws up this primitive analysis you are attempting.

We have seen several times in MvC3 where we knew a character was really good before they were fully realized ON STREAM by tournament players. Dante is a great early example, Viper is the late example. Not that anybody said that Dante was bad, but he got just meaner and meaner every month the game was out.

Also, firebrand is new.

edit- I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying we discuss these games on here and its more fun if you say "well I think this character sucks because his _____ is rear end or ____ is unsafe" rather than referencing STREAMS.

Fair enough, I was being a little too dismissive after people jumped down my throat for what I thought was a pretty harmless observation in that showmatch of what I'd observed in practice: Firebrand has a billion tools but the diminishing returns on combo damage make him much less effective than he sounds on paper. My bad.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Seizure Robot posted:

He didn't get that far but he did beat Flocker 2-0 with Firebrand/Viper/Strider which I'd consider pretty notable. I can't remember who knocked him out.
Don't know who put Chrisis into losers, but Flocker got his revenge and knocked him out. Finished something like t-5th in his pool

edit: Just checked the bracket. He beat Flocker and Wentinel then lost to Neo and Flocker

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 27, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Eldred posted:

Fair enough, I was being a little too dismissive after people jumped down my throat for what I thought was a pretty harmless observation in that showmatch of what I'd observed in practice: Firebrand has a billion tools but the diminishing returns on combo damage make him much less effective than he sounds on paper. My bad.

I pretty much agree with that assessment. However, played properly and with the right team, Firebrand could be a terror. It remains to be seen whether or not anyone will do it.

YFDHippo
May 2, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Every time firebrand swoops down from his unblockable, or when I kill someone with him. I always yell "Craw"!
I find it funny but my opponents most of the time, do not.

Speaking of SCR, did anybody go and how did you do? I personally sucked (on stream no less) but my friend ended up getting 6th in Skullgirls. :unsmith:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So after not playing Vanilla since like April, I picked this up over the holidays and discovered that once again, my skills had withered down to alomst nothing :bang:

Anyway, I was thinking about trying a couple simple teams to start, like Ghost Rider/____/Dormammu for keepaway or Nova/____/Wesker for some basic ground pressure. Only problem is I have no idea what to put in the B slot in either of those teams. For the former I heard lockdown assists work great with Ghost Rider, but I have no idea how badly Dante was beat with the nerf bat. And for the latter, I really have no idea. Storm? Iron Man? Ammy?

Anyone mind giving a (once again) rookie some quick advice?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Dante barely got nerfed (mostly just changes to Hammer) and Ammy and Frank have great lockdown assists.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
All the arguments in favor of Firebrand being good look a whole lot like the arguments in favor of Jill being good, and she's still not.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Brosnan posted:

All the arguments in favor of Firebrand being good look a whole lot like the arguments in favor of Jill being good, and she's still not.

Jill is not good because nobody bothered buying DLC. (At least I didn't)
Same for Shuma.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
How do you manage to be wrong about like, everything you post?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
After a bon voyage you have enough time to hard tag to someone else, right? Getting a couple guaranteed reps of the Doom corner loop any time you land bon voyage seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
It's not that Jill is bad, it's just that getting to her goodness requires 30% more effort than similar characters, so nobody bothered nor probably will bother.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Brosnan posted:

The difference is that Firebrand dances all the time and has real tools beyond "a cool teleport mixup".

but mostly the dancing.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sinatrapod posted:

It's not that Jill is bad, it's just that getting to her goodness requires 30% more effort than similar characters, so nobody bothered nor probably will bother.

I bothered, and she's still not great, for the same reason Firebrand ostensibly isn't: you can work real hard for 500k (and nothing more), or you can drop your joystick and accidentally do 750k+ with a ton of other characters. I've been using her for months, and the only real way to make her good is to put her on anchor duty so that her lovely damage is mitigated.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You are bound to hit someone at least once if you do enough simple high/low mixups or left/right mixups, so being able to convert those hits into OTKs is better than having a bigger chance of mixing up people but dealing crappy damage. MvC3 is all about the path of least effort anyway.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dias posted:

You are bound to hit someone at least once if you do enough simple high/low mixups or left/right mixups, so being able to convert those hits into OTKs is better than having a bigger chance of mixing up people but dealing crappy damage. MvC3 is all about the path of least effort anyway.

Yeah, I think for the most part this game is more about sustaining offense rather than crazy setups. That's why I think Chun-Li is going to be amazing once people put in the time with her, if you know her tricks its impossible to keep her out.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You don't really have to "sustain offense" if you use a character/team that can kill on one touch. You just do it, then mix up the next character on entrance.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, I think for the most part this game is more about sustaining offense rather than crazy setups. That's why I think Chun-Li is going to be amazing once people put in the time with her, if you know her tricks its impossible to keep her out.

Wouldn't this mean more for characters like Haggar and Iron Fist? Basically everything they have upclose is either safe or plus on block.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wouldn't this mean more for characters like Haggar and Iron Fist? Basically everything they have upclose is either safe or plus on block.

The basis for defense in MvC3 is pushblocking and getting back to your offense, not just holding back on your stick. Wesker is great essentially because a pushblock puts him in the perfect position to teleport and keep up the offense, or call an assist and wavedash. Spencer can use wire grapple and instantly get back in. Magneto and Doom have dash options. Dante and Vergil can teleport. And so on. Consistent pressure makes and breaks teams.

quote:

You don't really have to "sustain offense" if you use a character/team that can kill on one touch. You just do it, then mix up the next character on entrance.

There really aren't that many consistent OTK's in this game, and those that exist aren't easy (or involve significant resource use). Building a team around one is reasonable on paper but doesn't generally work out in practice, especially since the fallback position on those teams' generally isn't so great. If I'm at Evo, and my Firebrand dies, I don't particularly want to try making a comeback as Skrull and Morrigan against Combofiend playing Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Vengarr posted:

The basis for defense in MvC3 is pushblocking and getting back to your offense, not just holding back on your stick. Wesker is great essentially because a pushblock puts him in the perfect position to teleport and keep up the offense, or call an assist and wavedash. Spencer can use wire grapple and instantly get back in. Magneto and Doom have dash options. Dante and Vergil can teleport. And so on. Consistent pressure makes and breaks teams.

That's true, but remember both Iron Fist and Haggar have ways of negating pushblock, with Iron Fist it's his crazy good wave dash and kara-canceling and Haggar has Violent Axe/Hoodlum Launcher pressure and moves that put them in like, loving -10 on block.

I remember watching one of the House of Crack streams, and someone said on chat that "a good Haggar is actually pretty hard to zone." I think he was talking about how good Haggar can actually stay in once he gets close enough.

YFDHippo
May 2, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We should move on from this Firebrand argument. No one is going to convince anyone else that their character sucks. We'd have an easier time trying to convince people to change their religions.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

There really aren't that many consistent OTK's in this game, and those that exist aren't easy (or involve significant resource use). Building a team around one is reasonable on paper but doesn't generally work out in practice, especially since the fallback position on those teams' generally isn't so great. If I'm at Evo, and my Firebrand dies, I don't particularly want to try making a comeback as Skrull and Morrigan against Combofiend playing Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye.

That's because Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye is a one-touch-kill team. :downs:

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So after not playing Vanilla since like April, I picked this up over the holidays and discovered that once again, my skills had withered down to alomst nothing :bang:

Anyway, I was thinking about trying a couple simple teams to start, like Ghost Rider/____/Dormammu for keepaway or Nova/____/Wesker for some basic ground pressure. Only problem is I have no idea what to put in the B slot in either of those teams. For the former I heard lockdown assists work great with Ghost Rider, but I have no idea how badly Dante was beat with the nerf bat. And for the latter, I really have no idea. Storm? Iron Man? Ammy?

Anyone mind giving a (once again) rookie some quick advice?
Doom, the answer is always Doom

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011
My roommate had a pretty decent dog comeback yesterday when he was playing like rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_5tgSdNYIo&context=C3ca9ae3ADOEgsToPDskLVPOoUy13XMEVqC_7ROW6L

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

I gotta say, even as a basic Doom player, Doom is great any time any where with no bad matchups or even assists. You only really need to learn two combos too: a mid-range footdive/buktooth combo[difficult as a beginner, but not that difficult], and a corner foot-dive loop [dead easy].

Everything else is learning his aerial moves, and knowing when and how to zone vs rushing down. Or put it this way: he's great at zoning and great at rushing [His Plasma Beam is a monster dealing both excellent damage/chip, and having 12 low-prority points to cut through most projectiles in the game. His foot-dive is an easy to combo instant overhead]

Plus Doom's win quotes and VA are amazing.

Edit: I run Ghost Rider, Doom, Sentinel with decent success. Doom and Sentinel provide different, but equally vital zoning assists for Ghost Rider[a slow drone strike to control the ground, and a quicker beam to win firefights].

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 27, 2011

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Brosnan posted:

That's because Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye is a one-touch-kill team. :downs:

It's the tightest of windows converting that OTG Javelin into a hard-tag Spencer launcher, and if you hit everything right it's about 850k for two bars or 1 million for three. So difficult and resource intensive if you really want to guarantee a kill.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So i'm slowly but surely getting better with Ghost Rider, but i'm thinking that he doesn't really fit with my Zero/X-23 team. His heartless spire assist is great for them but i'm having a hard time properly incorporating him with the other two besides that one assist. Is there anything i'm missing in terms of tricks or should I reserve GR for a new team?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

TaurusOxford posted:

So i'm slowly but surely getting better with Ghost Rider, but i'm thinking that he doesn't really fit with my Zero/X-23 team. His heartless spire assist is great for them but i'm having a hard time properly incorporating him with the other two besides that one assist. Is there anything i'm missing in terms of tricks or should I reserve GR for a new team?

Probably a new team. I find that GR really needs appropriate assists to work. His chain attacks are really predicable. You either need an assist that locks down someone with block-stun or controls space he's weak against, especially from above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Or Dormammu! I think that character's being slept on like crazy, his teleport mixup (combined with his big ol' hooking hitboxes in the air) and DHC options are just gross.

• Locked thread