Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

dmccaff posted:

I signed up to the reddit secret santa this year and this arrived yesterday.

Delighted. Any recommendations on what to start first?

Holy gently caress, dude.

Eye of the World's good, Gunslinger's really interesting, and Storm Front is pretty good but didn't really grab me. I haven't read any of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Looks like the kind of stashes parents give to charity shops once their child's moved out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

This series pissed me off, everybody acts like children. They literally get red in the face and glare at each other when somebody does something they don't like. What the gently caress.

Only decent part was the guy in the ship during transit.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

dmccaff posted:

Read Mieville, use the rest for kindling.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Gunslinger, Northern Lights, and Perdido Street Station are all really good.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Gil's All Fright Diner is pretty great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dmccaff posted:

Wow, that's a great collection. It's basically all "first novels" in long fantasy series. Looking at that stack actually makes me sad because I've read most of them and I'll never get to read them for the first time again =(

All depends on what you like -- there's a really wide assortment there and they're all very different.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Looking at that stack actually makes me sad because I've read most of them and I'll never get to read them for the first time again =(

Looking at several of those books makes me sad that I'll never get those hours of my life back.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

What, nobody's mentioned that he got the Atrocity Archives? I'd keep that at least along with the Mieville and Assassin's Apprentice. I'm lukewarm on most of the other stuff (that I've read, of course).

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Can someone tell me about this tome? Is it like some sort of joke? I got the book from a co-worker and I tried to read it but it was unbearable and when I tried to give it back he wasn't concerned with it and told me that I can 'pass it along.'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Herr Tog posted:

Can someone tell me about this tome? Is it like some sort of joke? I got the book from a co-worker and I tried to read it but it was unbearable and when I tried to give it back he wasn't concerned with it and told me that I can 'pass it along.'

All I know is from reviews of the RPG:
http://jrients.blogspot.com/2005/07/wraeththu-report.html

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I have a very odd request. Earlier in the week my friends and I were talking about running an RPG of some sort on the email list that we are a part of, and the discussion got sidetracked. What happened was one of my friends started writing a story completely in jest, and here are some excerpts:

pakman's friend posted:

First, I traveled to the Andes to find the lost city of gold, El Dorado. I found it high in the mountains, but I had to fight its protector, the Giant Condor, in ritual combat. My opponent defeated, I set foot into the glorious golden streets of that fabled city, and glimpsed sights unseen for generations upon generations.

Upon turning the city over to the rightful indigenous owners, I was given a hot-air balloon as a token of thanks. I mounted this whimsical craft and traveled the world, stopping only where adventure called. I fought Yetis in the great north, saw the Seventh Sea in the evening when the light was low, walked through the aisles of the long lost library of Alexandria, and invented a cure for all ills. Details of these and other adventures will have to wait, as I have to make breakfast, and using a toaster and my computer in my hot air balloon proves difficult.

I will write again once I reach Istanbul. The sultanate has requested my help in investigating the mysterious disappearance of his winter palace. I will have to gather three hundred and seventy two still beating hearts of the elusive Scibor Lemur. It will take some time, but my manservant, Akbar, has heard tell that they congregate around the Tree of The Mother at night. We travel forthwith!

Regards,
pakman's friend, Adventurer

pakman's friend posted:

An adventurer NEVER exaggerates, nor does he leave things out. By the way, Ixt'lathn'xal, the God of Broken Ankles, sends his regards. Or, at least I think that's what he said. We had to fight our way through the Monkey Legions of King Ookook to reach the ruins of Tx'tlan to find the map to the Tree of the Mother. He took a blow from King Ookook in the face, and his jaw was giving him trouble.

Ironically, we then had to fight Nral'nx'ftagn'nx'gla, the God of Slightly Injured Jaws to keep him from claiming Ixt'lathn'xal, the God of Broken Ankles. After that battle, as we received more injuries, more gods showed up staking claim to us. Luckily, my manservant, Akbar, brilliantly turned them against each other and we were able to make good our escape upon my balloon.

It has been an interesting morning.

This had me wondering if there were any books with this style/feeling. The closest thing I could think of was Jules Verne. Or perhaps something "steampunkish" or Victorian in nature. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

pakman posted:

I have a very odd request. Earlier in the week my friends and I were talking about running an RPG of some sort on the email list that we are a part of, and the discussion got sidetracked. What happened was one of my friends started writing a story completely in jest, and here are some excerpts:

This had me wondering if there were any books with this style/feeling. The closest thing I could think of was Jules Verne. Or perhaps something "steampunkish" or Victorian in nature. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Carl Barks' Donald Duck treasur hunt comics...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pakman posted:

Maybe some of the Doc Savage stuff, but even that's a bit of a stretch.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wow, that's a great collection. It's basically all "first novels" in long fantasy series. Looking at that stack actually makes me sad because I've read most of them and I'll never get to read them for the first time again =(

Don't worry, complete brain wipes/resets are virtually guaranteed to be invented and affordably brought to market in some form or other during our lifetime.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Would anybody be interested in a Dickens thread? I've made it a project to read all of his stuff over the next few years, and from what I've seen he's not really discussed all that much...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Carthag posted:

This series pissed me off, everybody acts like children. They literally get red in the face and glare at each other when somebody does something they don't like. What the gently caress.

Only decent part was the guy in the ship during transit.
I really enjoyed the hardcore secessionist stuff going on constantly, I felt that the author desperately wanted to the South to Rise Again.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I want to slowly read the Lord of the Rings between sessions with other books. Can I read it on my kindle or are the illustrations essential? The kindle screen is often too small to make out fine details in maps. I've seen the movies several times so I'll probably be using those to visualize.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

blue squares posted:

I want to slowly read the Lord of the Rings between sessions with other books. Can I read it on my kindle or are the illustrations essential? The kindle screen is often too small to make out fine details in maps. I've seen the movies several times so I'll probably be using those to visualize.

You can probably do just fine on the kindle. You can always pull up a map online if you get confused.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
Recently I've obtained some books of poetry from William Blake, Charles Baudelaire, and Arthur Rimbaud. While I have enjoyed some of the poetry, I feel like I can't truly appreciate some of it, since I don't know much too about poetry in general. Are there any good books that I could check out that explain the different styles, forms, etc. of poetry and just generally teach me about poetry?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Koaxke posted:

Recently I've obtained some books of poetry from William Blake, Charles Baudelaire, and Arthur Rimbaud. While I have enjoyed some of the poetry, I feel like I can't truly appreciate some of it, since I don't know much too about poetry in general. Are there any good books that I could check out that explain the different styles, forms, etc. of poetry and just generally teach me about poetry?

When I was in the same boat I checked Understanding Poetry out from the library, I found it really helpful. It also has a pretty good selection of poems, but I wouldn't pay full price, buy it used or try the library.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Why was the J-F Bibeau thread gassed?

a silver spaceship
Dec 27, 2009
What is it with older books and uncut pages? I get that they were printed on large sheets of paper which were then folded, but were they sold uncut on purpose or it just happened sometimes by mistake?

It's kind of fun because you can tell at what point in them the previous owner just gave up reading, but cutting all the pages can be a chore. How common did this use to be?

\/\/\/ Edit: kind of, but the top and side edge of pages are all stuck together in groups of four, so you have to cut them before reading. Seems like the word I was looking for is unopened pages, like this :

a silver spaceship fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 23, 2011

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
You mean deckle edge? That's still common today and something the author usually asks for, to give the book a certain look. I personally don't care about the edges, but I know some people who are really OCD about it and won't read a book with them.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

PatMarshall posted:

When I was in the same boat I checked Understanding Poetry out from the library, I found it really helpful. It also has a pretty good selection of poems, but I wouldn't pay full price, buy it used or try the library.

Thanks for this! I'm going to check it out from the library here in a few days, and am pretty excited to read through it. :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i love cuttin a book, youre the first to read that poo poo,ts great.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't get the appeal of deckle edge at all, it just seems like it makes it ugly and a tiny bit more inconvenient.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Makes it look "classic" and old.

Back in the olden days, pages weren't cut except by hand instead of giant cutting machines, so they always had some off center pages in there.

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Koaxke posted:

I haven't read the latter two, but if you want to get a firmer understanding of Blake, I recommend getting acquainted with Milton's Paradise Lost first.

Prior to Modernism, poetry was heavily stylized as per tradition, so there isn't necessarily a lot of meaning embedded in the rhyme scheme or the number of syllables (which is not to say that they were unintentional or subconscious). A lot of rhetorical devices associated with poetry are ultimately mainly aesthetic, so if meaning is your concern, you may want to familiarize yourself with the classical and biblical narratives and the contemporary events that the poet will almost invariably allude to.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Merry Christmas, all. Anybody get books this year?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

mcustic posted:

Why was the J-F Bibeau thread gassed?
It probably should have been moved to a different subforum but it was definitely a blast to read and participate.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

barkingclam posted:

Merry Christmas! And yup. My little brother gave me two Pratchett books: Mort and Hogfather. My older brother gave me Kraken by China Mieville. I read Mort yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. I've never read any Mieville before, so I'm interested in how Kraken is.

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Hogfather is one of the best Discworld novels, IMO. Have fun with it!

oh snap
Apr 17, 2003
Help me remember the name of a book (recommended, not read):

Extremely vulgar descriptions of violence
Sometimes difficult to follow because there are many characters and the author chooses to refer to characters by their given name, nickname, or just a description with no name.
Think it has something to do with a wagon train westward bound.

That's pretty much all I have to go on. Thanks.

oh snap fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 27, 2011

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

oh snap posted:

Help me remember the name of a book (recommended, not read):

Extremely vulgar descriptions of violence
Sometimes difficult to follow because there are many characters and the author chooses to refer to characters by their given name, nickname, or just a description with no name.
Think it has something to do with a wagon train westward bound.

That's pretty much all I have to go on. Thanks.

Could be "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

a silver spaceship posted:

What is it with older books and uncut pages? I get that they were printed on large sheets of paper which were then folded, but were they sold uncut on purpose or it just happened sometimes by mistake?

They were sold uncut on purpose. I have read (I'm sorry, I don't recall where) about upper class British Victorians refusing to take out library books because the pages were already cut and you didn't know where the books had been. They might have gotten cooties by being read by poor people!

But I'm not sure why it is that the pages weren't cut before selling; I'm guessing the technology to do it was too expensive to make it worthwhile?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

barkingclam posted:

I got MetaMaus by Art Spiegelman, All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings, The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien and a travel guide for San Francisco :3:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I think I'm outgrowing fiction.

I mean, I like fiction but...look at this. I'm never sure what's good or not looking at these lists.

http://www.goodreads.com/award/choice/2011

It's increasingly hard for to get into fiction unless it is of top - specifically of aureum - quality. I just don't want to waste my time. But with non-fiction, even if the writing is terrible, I may learn something from it.

Look at these fiction book lists. It's like splitting hairs. But when I look at any non-fiction section, I'm adding anything and everything to my to-read list.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Your first mistake is paying attention to what Goodreads users think. Let's take a look at what Goodreads users have rated some classic literature:

Madame Bovary - 3.54
The Sound and the Fury - 3.83
A Portrait of the Artist as Young Man - 3.54
One Hundred Years of Solitude - 3.83
Lolita - 3.77

The top rated book in my library is The Hunger Games at 4.54. The lowest is a tie between Madame Bovary and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I'm pretty sure it's not because the latter 2 are the worst books I own, and Hunger Games is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

barkingclam posted:

I did not get any books this year. However, I did give my sister a gift card to Barnes and Noble because she loves to read, but I have no idea what she loves to read, so I thought it best to give her something where she could pick out what she wanted. I almost got her a Kindle, but she would have hated it.