Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Does anyone find gaming at 120 fps versus 60 that big of a difference? I don't really understand it to be quite honest. Even after reading all about 120 mhz versus 60 (essentially 120 mhz LED versus a dell ultrasharp) I can't find any conclusive option any way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
So getting what I want shipped to SE Asia looks to be a major pain in the rear end so I may just settle for what I can find here. The store nearby has this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001482

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...-led&returnurl=

I can't tell if this is a TN panel or not.... which is annoying. If it is TN panel maybe I'll just say screw it and buy some cheaper version for $100

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Does anyone find gaming at 120 fps versus 60 that big of a difference? I don't really understand it to be quite honest. Even after reading all about 120 mhz versus 60 (essentially 120 mhz LED versus a dell ultrasharp) I can't find any conclusive option any way or the other.

A handful of people can tell the difference, apparently. John Carmack had a couple of tweets about it, saying that it's really not worth the effort, but that some people definitely can (as in, they actually tested it).

zachol fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 27, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Chop Suey posted:

So getting what I want shipped to SE Asia looks to be a major pain in the rear end so I may just settle for what I can find here. The store nearby has this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001482

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...-led&returnurl=

I can't tell if this is a TN panel or not.... which is annoying. If it is TN panel maybe I'll just say screw it and buy some cheaper version for $100

It's TN. The way to tell is the viewing angles. If it's not 178 degrees vertically and horizontally, it's TN.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

Factory Factory posted:

It's TN. The way to tell is the viewing angles. If it's not 178 degrees vertically and horizontally, it's TN.

Thanks again! Welp... on that note I guess I'll just get some cheap 24" TN monitor as I can't find anyone who ships out here and I haven't been able to find any stores with better monitors. Unless someone knows of distributors in Thailand?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Call Dell Thailand, see if they can provide you with an Ultrasharp.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A semi related question just ordered a new Dell U2312HM as recommended by the thread. But does anyone know of a uk charity that recycles old computer monitors? So I can get rid of the mostly knackered one I am using at the moment. A quick google search only seems to turn up large companies that charge small fortunes to take old monitors and I am a student without that kind of money.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dual monitor. Do it. Never look back.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

A semi related question just ordered a new Dell U2312HM as recommended by the thread. But does anyone know of a uk charity that recycles old computer monitors? So I can get rid of the mostly knackered one I am using at the moment. A quick google search only seems to turn up large companies that charge small fortunes to take old monitors and I am a student without that kind of money.

This has been a goddamned pain in the rear end for me. I called the city about some old CRTs from my parents' garage and their advice was just to throw them away into the landfill because it was below the legal limit for how many monitors you can throw into the landfill per year :downs:. I found that Goodwill supposedly properly recycles monitors they can't sell, so I donated them all. I don't know if goodwill exists in the UK but you might check with whatever thrift store type operations you have over there to see what they do with them. Also this:

Steakandchips posted:

Dual monitor. Do it. Never look back.

My question: I just bought this monitor ($150 AR with a coupon from the daily newegg email) to replace my old Dell 2400FPW that is aging poorly. I plan to turn the dell to portrait mode and use it to replace my 15" 1024x768 secondary. I'm going to keep games to the primary monitor, but should I expect the increased resolution on my secondary to impact gaming performance on the primary? I've got a 1 gig 5850 that's a loving champ and no plans to replace it, but if it's a problem I can stick my 8800GTS back in there to push the secondary.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 27, 2011

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The second monitor is just simple (and usually static) 2D desktop stuff. That kind of thing won't put any noticeable load on any GPU from the past decade or so.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If you go two monitors, consider getting LCD arms for them. It really makes a difference in terms of saving desk space to be able to float your monitors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'm going to keep games to the primary monitor, but should I expect the increased resolution on my secondary to impact gaming performance on the primary?

Zero gaming performance impact. Go forth and dualmonitor!

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

178 degrees viewing angle is marketing rubbish. Think about it- its 2 degrees off 180, which is literally the point at which the bezel stops obstructing the LCD. At that point you can "view" the LCD but you wont be able to see anything on it

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

dud root posted:

178 degrees viewing angle is marketing rubbish.

So is a TN advertising 160 degrees vertical. Sure it's visible, if you don't mind two color inversions.

Largi
Nov 22, 2011
Massive help on deciding what to get for a reasonably priced second monitor. Thanks

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Well a few pages ago I posed about my U3011 having a weird tilt to it, turns out Dell won't just send a new base.. but they are sending a while new monitor...

Guess I'll just swap bases and send it back.. unless it has no defects like the one I already have.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Ask them before you do that, just to be safe.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
They were adamant that it is only one unit, and there was no way to get a base separately, the whole thing is kind of annoying. Maybe I will ask just to be safe.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Any opinions on this cheapo LG IPS? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+IPS+Series+23%22+LED+Monitor/2031077.p?id=1218306466603&skuId=2031077&slref=10&slloc=01

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Not specifically, but I believe the Dell U2412M and HP ZR24-whatever both use LG IPS panels, for what it's worth.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I saw that one at BB yesterday and the base was really wobbly and didn't seem very sturdy. Maybe there was something wrong with that specific display model though.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

zachol posted:

A handful of people can tell the difference, apparently. John Carmack had a couple of tweets about it, saying that it's really not worth the effort, but that some people definitely can (as in, they actually tested it).

I think I can tell the difference. When I'm at my friend's place with his 120 hz tv, I can absolutely tell the difference while watching stuff. While trying to explain it to my friend, he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about though. I'm not sure how I would put it into words, but there is a discernible effect. I'm not sure if that's the framerate difference though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Nigulus Rex posted:

I think I can tell the difference. When I'm at my friend's place with his 120 hz tv, I can absolutely tell the difference while watching stuff. While trying to explain it to my friend, he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about though. I'm not sure how I would put it into words, but there is a discernible effect. I'm not sure if that's the framerate difference though.

If it's a 120hz TV and it's applying interpolation to a 24/30/60 source, you can see it because it's loving annoying and retarded. Your friend probably doesn't notice because he's used to it.

120hz in gaming involves outputting, ideally, 1 distinct frame every 1/120th of a second.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Dogen posted:

If it's a 120hz TV and it's applying interpolation to a 24/30/60 source, you can see it because it's loving annoying and retarded. Your friend probably doesn't notice because he's used to it.

120hz in gaming involves outputting, ideally, 1 distinct frame every 1/120th of a second.

This. You can see it on a TV with interpolation because it looks like crap. You can also see it on a monitor because it makes everything seem much smoother. If you can't see it, turn it off and go back to 60hz and see the difference.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah I should clarify, he meant 120 hz monitors showing 120 fps gaming, and switching between that and 60 fps. I'm not sure how or why there would be a difference between a 120 hz and a 60 hz monitor with 60 fps (or less) games.
Also I'm really not sure what benefit there would be to 120 hz for things besides gaming.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well, ideally you are running the game at 120+ frames, so you are seeing twice as many frames per second. Would look smoother I guess, if you could perceive it.

For non-games, 120 is the least common multiple of 24 and 30, so a tv screen that is 120hz can display film and tv content by simply duplicating the existing frames in the content being displayed instead of having to do some guesswork.

You can of course force 120hz tvs to do guesswork, which is what the weird soap opera smoothing effect most people associate with 120hz is about.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Dell Outlet has the 24" Ultrasharp refurb for $299 with free shipping...

Except it's a 90 day limited warranty.

I need to be talked into or out of this. How good is Dell on dead pixel returns under that 90 day warranty instead of their ~premium panel guarantee?~ If I don't get this I'm just going to get some random ~$150 TN thing.

e: Student discount has the U2412M as only $30 more than the refurb! Yessss.

e2: bank account halved. yay.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 30, 2011

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
U2312HM going for 240 on ebay. gently caress yes!

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Alexander Nevermind posted:

U2312HM going for 240 on ebay. gently caress yes!

It's $200 in the dell store in Canada! :canada:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
*Possible gross stupidity incoming*

movax posted:

I want to use a TV as my computer monitor
Don't do this you silly bastard. There are many reasons you shouldn't, here are some:
  • HDTVs are designed for a specific colorspace (the word gamut AGAIN!), specifically: BT.709. This is what HDTV broadcasters are supposed to use for the TV shows they broadcast. The colorspace has different endpoints for its chromaticities, among other differences.
  • pixel density. There is a reason cramming 1920x1200 pixels into a 24" screen looks so sharp. There is a reason that video looks good at 1920x1200 pixels on a 47" screen, but text and UI elements begin to fuzz out a bit.
  • you might get stuck with motion interpolation you can't turn off/turn down. 120Hz is not for everyone
By all means feel free to hook up a HDTV via HDMI to your computer for use as a secondary monitor to watch media on or something. Just do yourself a favor and don't make it your primary display. The only exceptions I can think of are if you're really using the PC primarily as a gaming or media system, and don't need razor sharp text rendering for work. In this case, by all means use a HDTV as your monitor.

I recently bought a beautiful 50" Panasonic plasma, which has been constantly playing movies and TV right next to my desktop, to which I have two LG W2753VC (big but cheap TN panels) monitors connected. It's starting to really get me down when I switch my gaze from one to the other just how piss poor the viewing angle, depth of blacks and colours most things about the monitors are.

Is it *really* such a stupid idea to replace at least one of those lovely monitors with a high-end 32" LED LCD TV? Like a nice sharp Samsung or Panasonic or something?

The quote above seems to identify the main issues as pixel density and the colourspace.

Pixel density doesn't seem like it ought to be a huge issue if I'm going from 1080p on a 27" screen to the same on the 32" in screen. The pixels will be bigger, yeah, but is that going to be a huge deal? I'm basing most of my decisions around gaming here, but I do do a lot of internet loving-around and writing. Text isn't going to be totally hosed at that size/resolution, is it?

Colourspace isn't something I understand very well, but I'm taking the problem with TVs as monitors in this regard to have to do with their inaccurate colour reproduction for artistic/editing work. This is not something I care very much about. I do the odd touch-up in Photoshop and the odd bit of hacking a video together in Premiere, but I can't see myself caring about serious colour fidelity, unless PC games are somehow going to look wrong on a TV (which based on how BF3 looks on my big plasma doesn't seem very likely).

So, is this really such a dumb idea for my needs as the OP makes out? I guess you'd be wondering why I don't just get a U2412M (I really don't want to go down in panel size) or a U2711 or U3011 (I also really don't want to game at a larger native resolution than 1920x1200), and I guess partly I'm asking if I should slap myself for wanting anything else, but I really don't understand the downside of a small but high quality TV as a monitor for my situation.

Thanks for any advice :)

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 30, 2011

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Do a test-run: use your 50" TV as your primary monitor instead of the lovely panels for a day.

There are big differences between computer and tv monitors, but in the end it's whatever you're most comfortable staring at.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
One of the biggest downsides is image processing, especially sharpness. The kind of contrast adjustments that are used in many TVs to make their panels look swanky to people in Best Buy make text look like a mass of headache-inducing, unreadable poo poo. And unless you have a tippity-top-end TV, you cannot turn this processing all the way off. Especially if you use ClearType, black text on a light background turns into blurry smutch surrounded by a halo of pure white.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there anything I can do about a stuck pixel on an LCD monitor short of getting the monitor replaced?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

I used a combination of Software and Tapping methods to fix a stuck pixel on my laptop.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I tried those methods without success on two ASUS monitors I bought from Newegg, so YMMV. Good thing Shoprunner has free returns to Newegg, since it was $35 to ship it back.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Does anything actually use HDCP these days? This monitor doesn't support HDCP but otherwise looks pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

I want.. a monitor with Display Port (I have a Mac), HDMI, and some decently loud built in speakers so I can use it as a TV (hook up my computer, an Apple TV, Xbox, etc). I might consider getting separate speakers but ideally they'd be built in.

Anything else nearly that good in that price range? 1920x1080 seems kinda low for a 27" but it's hard to find all of these features in one monitor unless I'm looking to pay $900.

Built 4 Cuban Linux fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 2, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you want to use it as a tv, a bunch of different poo poo requires hdcp for high def.

I would recommend against the whole dual purpose thing unless space is at a premium.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is the U2410 better than the U2412M? There's a 200 dollar price difference between the two and I'd love to pick up two 24" to move up from my current 22" (2209WA) and 20" setup.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phone posted:

Is the U2410 better than the U2412M? There's a 200 dollar price difference between the two and I'd love to pick up two 24" to move up from my current 22" (2209WA) and 20" setup.

The differences are detailed in the 3rd post, where I list the specs of both models:

quote:

Dell U2410 (IPS) "old" now, look for sales / buy now!
Inputs: HDMI, 2xDVI, DisplayPort, VGA, Component, Composite
Resolution: 1920x1200
Recommended: If you specifically need the inputs or color space this offers.
Tags: Premium, Dell, UltraSharp, 24", 16:10, Input Variety
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+/- Wide-gamut
+ standard Dell height-adjustable/swivel stand
+ USB Hub and Media Card Reader
+ 12b processing
+ Audio-out/HDMI audio pass-through
+ input lag comparable to U2311H in Game Mode (sacrifice colors though), else just a little more
+ Factory calibrated (not a replacement for real calibration, though)
+ Picture-in-Picture
- Twice the price of the U2311H

Dell U2412M (IPS) NEW
Inputs: DVI, DP, VGA lost 1x DVI, HDMI, Component and Composite compared to the U2410
Resolution: 1920x1200
Recommended: Probably, look for goon testimonials in this thread
Tags: Premium, Dell, UltraSharp, 24", 16:10
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ LED backlit (compared to its CCFL predecessor)
+ USB Hub (lost media reader compared to U2410)
+ Factory calibrated (not a replacement for real calibration, though)
+/- lost wide gamut support compared to the U2410
- 6-bit panel. Technically "worse", but a lot of reviewers praised the 2311H without even realizing it was 6-bit. If you do color-sensitive work / are a professional, you may want to find an alternative.
- will stretch 1080p vertically The Xbox 360 has settings to compensate for this, but a PS3 will have its image stretched vertically to fit the screen. (UNCONFIRMED FOR U2412M)

Basically, the U2412 has a LED backlight instead of CCFL, and dropped to a 6-bit, non-wide color gamut panel compared to the U2410. (You can see the differences in inputs/features above for yourself).

Now, if you're not a serious photo guy, or don't need that wide gamut capability, the 2412 is still a great option; the U2311 has had great success with its FRC 6-bit panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I read that and see that it is IPS and I do like having vibrant color. Might be worth it to me to track down some U2410s.