Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is this lyrics for the ballad of Jack Noir real or some fan bullshit?

Greetings useless peons,
youve done terrible so far.
Treading venom pools for eons,
suffering with no scars......
Mercy everlasting....
Hiding who you are.
Welcome to the dark side,
My name is Jack Noir!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They're by Radiation, I believe.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Yeah those are real. There's an early version of the song floating around on Youtube with the lyrics and it's painful to hear - taking them out was a good decision.

I'd like to see another Midnight Crew album. I feel like the music team could revisit the idea now that they've had a couple years of experience under their belts.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Speaking of Homestuck-related music, Alexander Rosetti (who wrote Courser, Horschestra, Crystalanthemums, and more relevantly a bunch of stuff on the Squiddles album) ended up posting his Squiddle-themed Christmas story "A Plumbthroat Christmas" on its own after all, if a bit late. Go have a listen, it's all very festive.

Yeah, as the linked post indicates VoidBurger did the narration; Radiation is Skipper Plumbthroat himself, of course.
vvvv

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 27, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Speaking of Homestuck-related music, Alexander Rosetti ended up posting his Squiddle-themed Christmas story "A Plumbthroat Christmas" on its own after all, if a bit late. Go have a listen, it's all very festive.

Oh, hey, Voidburger, a goon voiced it! I want to listen but it's 2am and I don't think I want something like homestuck for the holidays or the squiddle album stuck in my head for the night. I'll check it in the morning though!

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

"you found a fistful of rice-krispies"

Snollygoster posted:

Yeah those are real. There's an early version of the song floating around on Youtube with the lyrics and it's painful to hear - taking them out was a good decision.

It's kind of weird to think that thanks to the internet, the semi-embarrassing things my generation does in high school will stay around to haunt them forever.

Yes, taking them out was a good decision.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Radiation posted:

It's kind of weird to think that thanks to the internet, the semi-embarrassing things my generation does in high school will stay around to haunt them forever.

Yes, taking them out was a good decision.
It's your generation's own drat fault. :argh:

No though, it's pretty great, everyone has that poo poo they did. The real test of a healthy person is them being able to look back and laugh about it, instead of denying and shoving under the rug.

And the Ballad of Jack Noir was my favorite track off the midnight crew album, so you are doing plenty of poo poo right.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Rays done (Land of rays and frogs).

Kanaya's land is similar to Jade's in many ways, so I took some of Jade's eastern sounding melodies and made them less pronounced, while still distinct, much like Kanaya's character is in general.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's your generation's own drat fault. :argh:

No though, it's pretty great, everyone has that poo poo they did. The real test of a healthy person is them being able to look back and laugh about it, instead of denying and shoving under the rug.

By contrast, Radiation's Tumblr should be etched onto golden LPs and launched into space for the benefit of the cosmos. There are very few people who communicate in a level-headed way at his age, plus it's cool to see his approach to constructive criticism and music. :)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'll admit, I unironically liked the vocal version of Ballad of Jack Noir. Maybe because it's hilarious to imagine that really being Jack himself singing it.

Plus he's a better singer than Bowman, anyway. :iceburn:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Rays done (Land of rays and frogs).

Kanaya's land is similar to Jade's in many ways, so I took some of Jade's eastern sounding melodies and made them less pronounced, while still distinct, much like Kanaya's character is in general.

It's not bad, and I like the instrumentation, although I think the earlier critiques about the distinction between atmospheric music and regular songs might still apply here.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Midnight Raider posted:

It's not bad, and I like the instrumentation, although I think the earlier critiques about the distinction between atmospheric music and regular songs might still apply here.

Yeah, I'll admit that this is entire project is primarily for myself, so I can properly learn these sort of distinctions. I figured something like the Troll's lands were numerous and varied enough to give me a large range of ideas to work with. I can only hide behind excuses like "I'm new to this whole thing" for so long, so learning and criticism is A Good Thing.

1otus
Dec 19, 2011

8luh 8luh huge 8itch
"In other news, I don’t see any updates rolling out for another few days."

:(

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/

That was one day ago, so i guess it's possible that we wont see any new updates this year.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

apologies for a long and rambling post. I just caught up with Homestuck for the second time. I had previously read it back in August, finishing up just as Andrew took a break, and had found it to be a reasonably rewarding experience that got less rewarding for me personally as the trolls came in. I took the advice of people at the time and took a couple of months off from it (I re-read Problem Sleuth) and tried again, this time trying to give everything the chance to breathe. It was massively, massively more rewarding on that second read-through. Things that had troubled me or seemed odd or inconsistent the first time now made sense, I found things alluded to before playing out properly now. It also led me to a conclusion that I had glanced against on first read but now was staring me directly in the face.

Homestuck is the first fully successful piece of electronic fiction I have encountered.

Let me explain what I mean by that. Ten years ago, I did a master's degree in library and information science, and I wrote my master's thesis on the subject of electronic fiction, starting with e-book readers and looking at why they weren't taking off. Back in 2001, e-book readers were huge and clunky things with poor resolution that lacked many of the features people wanted from books without offering many advantages. My thesis conclusion was that to succeed, electronic fiction either had to get much much better at imitating the book, or abandon the "book" idea altogether and go full tilt towards things books can't do. The kindle is probably the most successful execution of the first of these options. Homestuck is probably the most successful execution of the second.

When film was first taking off, you had two camps of things being made: gimmicky stuff to show the weird things you could do with a camera (but without the narrative to back it up), alongside stage plays in front of a camera. Neither worked particularly well, because neither were playing to the strengths of their medium. The gimmicky things were fascinating but unsatisfying, the stage plays weren't as good as going to the theatre. It wasn't until movie makers started to tell stories that couldn't be told anywhere except on the screen that film found its language.

Homestuck is a story that couldn't be told anywhere except the Internet. It makes use of the infinite canvas, animation, elaborate cutscenes, interactivity, and almost more importantly than all of these author accessibility and community. It would be easy to think of Homestuck as being Andrew's baby, and in many ways it is, but it wouldn't be as beautiful or as satisfying without a community that love it and support it.

While this may be premature for a still ongoing story, I don't think it would be out of line to call Homestuck the first masterpiece of electronic fiction.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I sincerely think that when the medium of webcomics grows out of its infancy many, many decades from now, Homestuck will be seen as one of those early masterpieces of the medium. If there's ever a study of "webcomics as art/literature" it would not be complete without a hefty section devoted to Homestuck, if not a thesis centering specifically on MS Paint Adventures. And I say that with full confidence, even though Homestuck isn't a complete work yet. :colbert:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I say this in far less eloquent ways all the time :pseudo:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Homestuck is to webcomics as Freud is to psychology.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

I sincerely think that when the medium of webcomics grows out of its infancy many, many decades from now, Homestuck will be seen as one of those early masterpieces of the medium. If there's ever a study of "webcomics as art/literature" it would not be complete without a hefty section devoted to Homestuck, if not a thesis centering specifically on MS Paint Adventures. And I say that with full confidence, even though Homestuck isn't a complete work yet. :colbert:

Vergil:Latin::Webcomic 101:Vriska

That said, imagine Homestuck translated to every language like any classic would. Imagine Homestuck in ~GLORIOUS NIHONGO~ :japan:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Level Slide posted:

Vergil:Latin::Webcomic 101:Vriska

That said, imagine Homestuck translated to every language like any classic would. Imagine Homestuck in ~GLORIOUS NIHONGO~ :japan:

I think that some of Homestuck's best dialogue would lose something in translation.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC the folks of the MSPA forums are working on translating it into various languages

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Eox posted:

IIRC the folks of the MSPA forums are working on translating it into various languages

Right here. e: Removed font-wank because it turns out they are using a game-font.

Spellman posted:

Other than making sure the facts stick, some of the humor could be reworked in ways that make sense to other languages if the translators take some liberties with the dialog. Hypothetically, anyway. It really depends on how crack the team is doing the job. Think about the way Mother 2 was translated into Earthbound. It's a fantastic game that the translators injected with their own jokes, cultural awareness, and sensibilities.

I don't think weaboo Homestuck fans whose stated motivations are "We have Hebrew SBaHJ, why not Japanese Homestuck?" are going to be that creative. I have a feeling they're going to treat the script the way they expect dubs to treat anime. Going for the most accurate literal translation possible.

I imagine that Gamzee's quirk would be handled by switched between hiragana and katakana inappropriately.

QueerPope fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 29, 2011

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Gotta wonder how sober Gamzee would be handled, among other things.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pakled posted:

I think that some of Homestuck's best dialogue would lose something in translation.
Other than making sure the facts stick, some of the humor could be reworked in ways that make sense to other languages if the translators take some liberties with the dialog. Hypothetically, anyway. It really depends on how crack the team is doing the job. Think about the way Mother 2 was translated into Earthbound. It's a fantastic game that the translators injected with their own jokes, cultural awareness, and sensibilities.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Pakled posted:

But that's true of practically anything. Shakespeare wrote amazing wordplay that really cannot be preserved in its fullest even when you try to translate it into colloquial English, let alone another language (like Klingon or something).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've seen how up-in-arms people get over translating media sometimes. I can already imagine the hissy fits over typing quirks. Do non-latin alphabets handle l33t? How hard is it to rework conversations so they they retain the same meaning while still having foreign fish puns?

SBAHJ would be handled by Babelfish, I assume.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Homestuck is a good webcomic

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I've seen how up-in-arms people get over translating media sometimes. I can already imagine the hissy fits over typing quirks. Do non-latin alphabets handle l33t? How hard is it to rework conversations so they they retain the same meaning while still having foreign fish puns?

SBAHJ would be handled by Babelfish, I assume.

But how many runs through Babelfish? Will it be done through Chinese and Korean first?

And there are a few syllables that Terezi could replace with numbers, like "yo" with 4 and "mi" with 3.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Level Slide posted:

But how many runs through Babelfish? Will it be done through Chinese and Korean first?

And there are a few syllables that Terezi could replace with numbers, like "yo" with 4 and "mi" with 3.

Vietnamese would have to be in there too, of course. They could also use http://translationparty.com/ .

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Level Slide posted:

CG: オレノコトガ見エルダロウ。
CG: 絵ノ違ウトコロガミツケラレルカナ?
GC: 3エナ14、アホ
CG: ア、ソウ。

(first part of this pesterlog)

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 29, 2011

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
I'm pretty sure Gamzee would be the main obstacle in translating Homestuck into Chinese, because I really can't think of any workaround for his capitalization gimmick. Even Karkat's capslock can be emulated by just being really, really angry, but alternating caps is just impossible unless there's some kind of Chinese stoner stereotype I'm not aware of. Equuius is a bit of a problem too, since his typing gimmick is a Latinate root pun of all goddam things. Also, gently caress doing the screennames and keeping the genetics puns, although looking up genetics vocabulary was pretty fun.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Pinechild posted:

Also, gently caress doing the screennames and keeping the genetics puns, although looking up genetics vocabulary was pretty fun.

I'd think that whatever language you translate it into, unless you have a really good way of translating the kids' pesternames, you'd just have to leave them as they are.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Don't know how many of you have seen this, but it's by BlahStudios who makes amazing homestuck typography videos.

It's a collaboration called "The shipping wall", 20 minutes of typography videos of all the relationships in homestuck. Some of it's a bit silly, but, yknow, shippers. Anything made by Blah though is generally not mushy and instead pretty dang cool. You can tell some of the people in the video aren't as good as editing as others, but it's still nice.

Part I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6KmtOgYxYI&hd=1

Part II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF3ML4jMEUc&hd=1

Edit: For those who don't want to watch 10/20 minutes of footage or want to see some of BlahStudio's nonshipping stuff, here's some other great videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpdFUQK0HcE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SttG15EEgyQ

Jewel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 29, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Once again, the people who advertise on mspaintadventures.com know their audience.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Once again, the people who advertise on mspaintadventures.com know their audience.

Aren't the adspaces on mspaintadventures.com like ridiculously expensive?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on the time of day and length of the hiatus.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Also is there a compendium of unused avatars somewhere? I searched through the first few pages looking for the pile but I couldn't find it.

I think it's time to make the plunge.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pinechild posted:

I'm pretty sure Gamzee would be the main obstacle in translating Homestuck into Chinese, because I really can't think of any workaround for his capitalization gimmick. Even Karkat's capslock can be emulated by just being really, really angry, but alternating caps is just impossible unless there's some kind of Chinese stoner stereotype I'm not aware of. Equuius is a bit of a problem too, since his typing gimmick is a Latinate root pun of all goddam things. Also, gently caress doing the screennames and keeping the genetics puns, although looking up genetics vocabulary was pretty fun.
It's a latinate root pun mixed with a loving ancient farsi pun. Yeah, good luck with that one.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Seoinin posted:

It's a latinate root pun mixed with a loving ancient farsi pun. Yeah, good luck with that one.

What? I thought it was just an arrow at the beginning of each line and making everything 100%. How do Latin and Farsi come in?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

QueerPope posted:

What? I thought it was just an arrow at the beginning of each line and making everything 100%. How do Latin and Farsi come in?
his last name is Zahhak, from the Iranian national epic. It means something like "having 100,000 horses". Hence the 100dicrous spelling quirk. And Equuis is from the latin for horse.

I dunno, could be worse. Dude could have Greek influences. But then he'd just be a huge flowerchild.

cuz he'd be a hippe, geddit

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

QueerPope posted:

He also has horse/cow puns I guess?

e: ^^^^ Why would you translate the names? You just leave them the same, and then the joke is just as obvious to people in China or whatever as it would have been to us, I'm no expert in ancient Iranian poetry and I think the same is true for most homestuck fans.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
His gimmick isn't just making 100s, though, it's making 100%. It could be a reference to multiple things though!