Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Djarum posted:

He is already on a unlockable baseband so he doesn't need to deal with that crap.

First do not do what this person just said to do.

What you will need to do is use any of the jailbreak tools and make sure you check "do not update the baseband" in the options. You will be able to update to a newer iOS and it will remove the baseband update.

I would probably wait a little bit and hold out for a proper iOS 5 jailbreak, but most of the major tools have the option to not update the baseband.

Oh, awesome! Will edit my post out, since that is much better. The only 3GS I've unlocked came with iOS 5. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adversary
Jun 9, 2007
Not sick, but not well

Djarum posted:

He is already on a unlockable baseband so he doesn't need to deal with that crap.

What you will need to do is use any of the jailbreak tools and make sure you check "do not update the baseband" in the options. You will be able to update to a newer iOS and it will remove the baseband update.

I would probably wait a little bit and hold out for a proper iOS 5 jailbreak, but most of the major tools have the option to not update the baseband.

Thanks a bunch!

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Djarum posted:

My sister got a 3gs for christmas but the baseband is on 6.15 and it does not find service at all. What is this iPad baseband thing? Will that help?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i like tacos posted:

My sister got a 3gs for christmas but the baseband is on 6.15 and it does not find service at all. What is this iPad baseband thing? Will that help?
You need to be very careful dealing with those iPad basebands. Even in a best case scenario it will disable some features (from my reading on the subject). Worst case you can completely disable the wireless chipset.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Oneiros posted:

You need to be very careful dealing with those iPad basebands. Even in a best case scenario it will disable some features (from my reading on the subject). Worst case you can completely disable the wireless chipset.

:ohdear: I've installed and reinstalled ultrasn0w and I've resetted the network settings several times already with no luck. Is there anything else I can do?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i like tacos posted:

:ohdear: I've installed and reinstalled ultrasn0w and I've resetted the network settings several times already with no luck. Is there anything else I can do?

Wait, it's already on 6.15? Was the phone bought used or did you flash the iPad baseband?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Oneiros posted:

Wait, it's already on 6.15? Was the phone bought used or did you flash the iPad baseband?

Yeah it's already on 6.15. My brother gave it to us. I think he bought it used. Are we out of luck?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i like tacos posted:

Yeah it's already on 6.15. My brother gave it to us. I think he bought it used. Are we out of luck?

You'll probably want to get a second opinion on this because I don't have any personal experience with the 3gs, but if the phone is used and of recent manufacture then someone might have tried to unlock it by flashing the iPad baseband and ended up killing the cellular modem.

Check the date of manufacture: http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When someone shoehorns the 6.15 baseband from an iPad into a 3GS, it breaks poo poo. Permanently.
I think I read somewhere (maybe the redsn0w site) that current 3GS iPhone bought new (since the release of iOS 5) have a new chipset that prevents people from flashing that terrible baseband.

If you get an iPhone 3GS used and it has the 6.15 baseband (or "Modem Firmware"), I'd demand a refund.

From the Dev Team:

quote:

Owners of newer 3GS iPhones must not flash the iPad baseband. The iPad baseband will not work on 3GS iPhones built later than 2011 week 35. You have a week 35 or later device if your serial # starts with xx135.

So Apple is trying to get people to stop loving up their phones.
There are options for getting an unlocked phone other than breaking a 3GS.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Aaaa I'm so impatient for a 4s jailbreak! I'm really close to switching back to my normal iphone4 just to get SBSchedule back. It was so nice having a phone that automatically shut up at night instead of vibrating and beeping with every stupid push mail and notification spam :(

They incorporated so many of the other jailbreak niceties in vanilla iOS 5.0 so why couldn't they implement the one feature that kept my sanity...

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
They're saving it for iOS 6.0.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Dodoman posted:

They're saving it for iOS 6.0.
I hope they don't blow it on iOS6 when iPhone 5Gs and iOS7 are right around the corner.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

The Aphasian posted:

^^^That's like a wrist phone that doesn't make calls, right? Like a musicless ipod touch?
Oh, you didn't know?

quote:

Mostly, once I had the idea I really think it would be cool, especially for in the cinema/theater/weddings/funerals.
That would be pretty sweet. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 28, 2011

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Untethered 5.0.1 JB released for non-A5 devices (basically everything except iPhone 4S and iPad 2)

http://is.gd/dO7hc5 (link is just the dev-team blog)

Links to the newest redsn0w are at the bottom of the post.

I have yet to try this myself, but I'm going to in the morning :toot:

It appears you can also install a Cydia package if you're already on a tethered 5.0.1 JB and untether that way too rather than restoring and re-jailbreaking. Pretty cool.

Referee fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 27, 2011

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So I untethered by running the newest redsn0w over my tethered 5.0.1. Everything works great, except my theme refuses to work now. I can remove/reinstall it and every time the phone resprings it doesn't change anything from the default. SBSettings works fine as does every other jailbreak I've installed previous.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 27, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Sounds like they're working now on moving it to A5 devices. Hopefully this won't be long, I'm excited!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
What happens if I am on an iPhone 4 with the semitether on 5.0?

It looks like I'll have to do a full iTunes restore to 5.0.1 and re jailbreak?

What happens if I run the 5.0.1 OTA update on my semitether 5.0? I'd imagine that will break poo poo :(

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
Yeah I'm having troubles with the untether. None of my cydia apps/tweaks work or show up in settings, cydia works but installing tweaks has no effect. If tap the activator icon, it informs me that I am in safe mode, but restarting has zero effect. I have a feeling it may have something to do with semitether so I will remove that and try again.

:edit: Didn't work, restoring...

m0isty fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 27, 2011

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

dutchbstrd posted:

What happens if I run the 5.0.1 OTA update on my semitether 5.0? I'd imagine that will break poo poo :(

I tried updating from 5.0 with that semitether jailbreak installed and it failed. I guess I'll be restoring my phone first tonight.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I've had my 4S on 5.0 since I bought it, cause they were saying it was easier to jailbreak 5.0 than 5.0.1. Should I update to 5.0.1 now in anticipation of the new jailbreak before Apple pushes 5.0.2, or will it also work on 5.0?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Finally! Now I just have to catch up on half a years worth of jailbreaks :(

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I've had my 4S on 5.0 since I bought it, cause they were saying it was easier to jailbreak 5.0 than 5.0.1. Should I update to 5.0.1 now in anticipation of the new jailbreak before Apple pushes 5.0.2, or will it also work on 5.0?

I really want to know the answer to this, too. I've kept my iPad 2 at 5.0 for this reason, but if the jailbreak ends up being for 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 comes out, I might be boned.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Dev team says to go and update to 5.0.1. (A4 and A5), but not to 5.0.2/5.1 if/when it lands.
They may release an untether for 5.0. Maybe.

If you have 5.0 installed, you need to do a backup & restore to 5.0.1, then jailbreak.

I guess 5.0.x-compatible updates to Jailbreak apps will finally start pouring in.

Current app-compatibility list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CMmC_5gE&key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE
(please add to and improve, please do not deface/destroy)

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 27, 2011

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent
Spire, a legal Siri port has also been released with the caveat that you need an iPhone 4S and a proxy set-up to bypass the authentication key issue.

Anyone care to run one for goons? :ohdear:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Cythrelo posted:

Anyone care to run one for goons? :ohdear:

That's the part that will get your phone banned. I hope no one volunteers for this.

Edit: I know this is different than other methods. The 6,000,000 requests will be coming from the actual 4S, and not other devices spoofing the 4S. But still, Apple may not think a real 4S should be making that many impossible requests per second, and could still ban it.

If you're proxy-whoring out your 4S to share with others, I'd keep it to really small groups.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 27, 2011

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I'm still running an untethered jailbreak on 4.3.1. I'm guessing I need to install the retail 5.0.1 from Apple, then run redsn0w on it? This will wipe all the jailbreak apps I had so I will need to redownload them, correct?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Uuudar posted:

I'm still running an untethered jailbreak on 4.3.1. I'm guessing I need to install the retail 5.0.1 from Apple, then run redsn0w on it? This will wipe all the jailbreak apps I had so I will need to redownload them, correct?

Yes, yes, yes and yes! ;)

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

Xenomorph posted:

That's the part that will get your phone banned. I hope no one volunteers for this.

Edit: I know this is different than other methods. The 6,000,000 requests will be coming from the actual 4S, and not other devices spoofing the 4S. But still, Apple may not think a real 4S should be making that many impossible requests per second, and could still ban it.

If you're proxy-whoring out your 4S to share with others, I'd keep it to really small groups.

It would be a bit of a risk, but I think the number of goons using a goon-run proxy server would be fairly small. Still, it would be best if someone who doesn't really care to use Siri themselves ran it, just in case...

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

Dev team says to go and update to 5.0.1. (A4 and A5), but not to 5.0.2/5.1 if/when it lands.
They may release an untether for 5.0. Maybe.

If you have 5.0 installed, you need to do a backup & restore to 5.0.1, then jailbreak.

I guess 5.0.x-compatible updates to Jailbreak apps will finally start pouring in.

Current app-compatibility list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CMmC_5gE&key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE
(please add to and improve, please do not deface/destroy)

Here's another well maintained list of compatible apps: http://cydiahelp.com/ios-5-compatible-cydia-apps-tweaks-list/

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Can someone who's jumped on this tethered 5.0.1 jailbreak test to make sure iBooks works properly?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Ezrem posted:

Can someone who's jumped on this tethered 5.0.1 jailbreak test to make sure iBooks works properly?
I don't know if you meant to write UNtethered jailbreak, but iBooks was not working for me with the Tethered JBs on 5.0 and 5.0.1. I was able to fix it by copying the app and doing a little hacky stuff.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I don't know if you meant to write UNtethered jailbreak, but iBooks was not working for me with the Tethered JBs on 5.0 and 5.0.1. I was able to fix it by copying the app and doing a little hacky stuff.

Ugh, yes, I meant untethered. Haha. The sn0wbreeze tethered jailbreak works great with iBooks, without any hacking. Not sure I want to give that up for untethered reboots.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Ezrem posted:

Judging from the comments in the Devteam blog post, iBooks is broken as of now. I've never opened the app yet so I can't say personally.

vvv that's answered above by Xenomorph

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 27, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

If I have a tethered 5.0 jailbreak, can I update to 5.1 using the settings menu, then run the cydia exploit, or do I have to actually backup + restore to 5.1 and then reinstall all my tweaks and jb apps? That'd be a drag.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You want to update to 5.0.1 not 5.1. I was on 5.0 tethered and tried doing an OTA update but it failed. Your mileage may vary though. I had to do a regular update through iTunes then jailbreak through redsn0w. Wasn't that painful, took all of 10 minutes to do really.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm gonna OTA Update my 4S (which is on 5.0)... 5.1 isn't out yet, right?

tortan
Mar 6, 2006
I have an Verizon iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 (updated OTA) and have attempted to jailbreak via redsn0w. Enters DFU mode fine, and it says it is installing limera1n stage 1 and 2, etc then it says "waiting on phone to restart" yet my phone has already restarted. I have done a restore in iTunes with no luck. I have also tried to do a custom IPSW in redsn0w with the 5.0.1 IPSW I downloaded in iTunes, but it says "custom IPSW for 3gs and iPhone 4 only).

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

tortan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 27, 2011

tortan
Mar 6, 2006

tortan posted:

I have an Verizon iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 (updated OTA) and have attempted to jailbreak via redsn0w. Enters DFU mode fine, and it says it is installing limera1n stage 1 and 2, etc then it says "waiting on phone to restart" yet my phone has already restarted. I have done a restore in iTunes with no luck. I have also tried to do a custom IPSW in redsn0w with the 5.0.1 IPSW I downloaded in iTunes, but it says "custom IPSW for 3gs and iPhone 4 only).

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Nevermind, I got this working. For anyone else with the same issue, you need to go to "Extras" and do "Select IPSW" then select the 5.0.1 IPSW file from iTunes and then proceed to jailbreak normally.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dexter6 posted:

So I just did a reload with the newest version of sn0wbreeze on 5.0.1 then jailbroke using Corona on Cydia and my iBooks seems to still be working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

tortan posted:

Nevermind, I got this working. For anyone else with the same issue, you need to go to "Extras" and do "Select IPSW" then select the 5.0.1 IPSW file from iTunes and then proceed to jailbreak normally.

I was going to post this. I just helped a co-worker with their iPhone 4 (8 Gig) Verizon/CDMA phone, and was puzzled that it couldn't continue.

redsn0w will sit at "waiting for device to restart" because it can't identify the phone or something (I figured since it was a new "8 GB" model). Downloading the ~830 Meg IPSW and pointing redsn0w to it tells it which device you have.

Telling my co-worker to download almost a Gig of files to every computer he may use just in case he needed to boot tethered probably didn't make the experience seem to trouble-free for him. Fortunately, the untether just came out (he brought me his phone last week), and we got "Corona" installed on it already.

• Locked thread