Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I agree that Dormammu is really, really good, but I don't think he's really being slept on. Not compared to some other characters at least.

I remember before vanilla release, Seth was explaining Dormammu's dark spells and that power of the creator x3 prevented the opponent from jumping. I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody use that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Metrohunter posted:

I remember before vanilla release, Seth was explaining Dormammu's dark spells and that power of the creator x3 prevented the opponent from jumping. I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody use that yet.

Takes too long for what it gives you. I mean honestly, would you do three special moves with no hitboxes to disable your opponent's jumping for 5 seconds, or the chance to punish anything that's not at super jump height with a gigantic explosion that does level 1 hyper damage? Or a meteor shower that does a ton of chip and locks your opponent down?

I guess there's the potential to disable chicken blocking, but that's all you get.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

On the subject of one touch- I think this is the best I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p0Ls_L9ZEUo#t=187s

Click the link for a cool crumple raw tag combo involving Iron Fist/Skrull that does just over 1 million with 2 meters.

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

Eldred posted:

Or Dormammu! I think that character's being slept on like crazy, his teleport mixup (combined with his big ol' hooking hitboxes in the air) and DHC options are just gross.

Doom for the time worth investing is a beast when you finally master him.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

LJONESRYDA posted:

Doom for the time worth investing is a beast when you finally master him.

Oh no argument here, I love Doom and he's the lynchpin of my team. I just think Dorm can fill a similar role of rounding out most teams and I think he shines in a few areas that Doom doesn't, so I wanted to throw him in as an option.

I also don't really think that Doom's that hard to master as far as execution goes, especially compared to half the cast in this game. I'd have to say only Captain America and Wesker are noticeably simpler, and maybe a couple others that just aren't coming to mind right now

Also maybe slept on wasn't the right term, more misused? I mostly see him played as a zoning character because he's enormous and gets caught pretty easily but if you maintain pressure from the top of the screen he can be pretty potent as a rushdown character too.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 27, 2011

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

Takes too long for what it gives you. I mean honestly, would you do three special moves with no hitboxes to disable your opponent's jumping for 5 seconds, or the chance to punish anything that's not at super jump height with a gigantic explosion that does level 1 hyper damage? Or a meteor shower that does a ton of chip and locks your opponent down?

I guess there's the potential to disable chicken blocking, but that's all you get.

Even further, jumping is a pretty important way to get around zoning, but all the characters with crazy get-around-zoning-tools have... well, just that, tools. Not just jumping. So all you disable are people with lovely mobility options, which are the people least likely to get through your zoning ANYWAY.
So, yeah, if you want to make a Haggar player feel even sadder vs. Dormammu, 3x creator is pretty good. Other than that...

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Eldred posted:

I just think Dorm can fill a similar role of rounding out most teams and I think he shines in a few areas that Doom doesn't, so I wanted to throw him in as an option.
I don't think Dorm can be plugged in as easily into teams as Doom because Doom's assists are much better. Dorm is a point character IMO, while Doom fits anywhere.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Trip Report #1: Well since my internet was lovely at best last night (seriously, gently caress Cox. I think they're throttling me.) I had to make do with mid to high level Heroes and Heralds bullshit AI. But Ghost Rider/Dormammu/Dante is working pretty well for me. At first I thought having Heartless Spire/Dark Hole/Jam Session as my assists would leave me at a disadvantage but they I remembered every single loving other move in their arsenal.

The only problem is I completely forgot how to play Dormammu in my absence, and my playstyle has devolved to "throw out dark holes, use crouching medium and his fire pool, buy time til I get 2 Red 1 Blue". It's not helping that SRK and IPW seemingly scrapped all their Vanilla guides when Ultimate came out and their current stuff is a bit bare bones.

Bonus: I now have Team Eighties Metal Album Cover :black101:

E: I might try Doom sooner or later since you guys are singing his praises so much, but I have pretty much zero experience with him (what the gently caress is a Bucktooth?)

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 27, 2011

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

E: I might try Doom sooner or later since you guys are singing his praises so much, but I have pretty much zero experience with him (what the gently caress is a Bucktooth?)
here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yPskuh1yx8

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

Eldred posted:

Oh no argument here, I love Doom and he's the lynchpin of my team. I just think Dorm can fill a similar role of rounding out most teams and I think he shines in a few areas that Doom doesn't, so I wanted to throw him in as an option.

I also don't really think that Doom's that hard to master as far as execution goes, especially compared to half the cast in this game. I'd have to say only Captain America and Wesker are noticeably simpler, and maybe a couple others that just aren't coming to mind right now

Also maybe slept on wasn't the right term, more misused? I mostly see him played as a zoning character because he's enormous and gets caught pretty easily but if you maintain pressure from the top of the screen he can be pretty potent as a rushdown character too.

I wish I had the time to invest in Dorm, when you get smoked by him it always looks amazing.

Does anyone know if theres a way to restart your rank profile, so you can start at 0/0, me and my roommate want to bet how long it takes to get to 20 wins, but we are stuck in 7th Lord?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

LJONESRYDA posted:

I wish I had the time to invest in Dorm, when you get smoked by him it always looks amazing.

Does anyone know if theres a way to restart your rank profile, so you can start at 0/0, me and my roommate want to bet how long it takes to get to 20 wins, but we are stuck in 7th Lord?

Isn't there a Reset Battle Record option under System or something?

quart
Nov 10, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Trip Report #1: Well since my internet was lovely at best last night (seriously, gently caress Cox. I think they're throttling me.) I had to make do with mid to high level Heroes and Heralds bullshit AI. But Ghost Rider/Dormammu/Dante is working pretty well for me. At first I thought having Heartless Spire/Dark Hole/Jam Session as my assists would leave me at a disadvantage but they I remembered every single loving other move in their arsenal.

The only problem is I completely forgot how to play Dormammu in my absence, and my playstyle has devolved to "throw out dark holes, use crouching medium and his fire pool, buy time til I get 2 Red 1 Blue". It's not helping that SRK and IPW seemingly scrapped all their Vanilla guides when Ultimate came out and their current stuff is a bit bare bones.

Bonus: I now have Team Eighties Metal Album Cover :black101:

Don't get in the habit of throwing out dark holes, the slow recovery will get you opened up quick on a wrong guess. If anything throw out f.H. On hit you can still follow up with a dark hole H into chaotic flame, plus you can cancel into teleport crossup, pillar followup into RUN, RUN and store dark spells, or just throw it out to cover a dark spell store. c.M is a pretty good anti-air, but I've had a lot of luck with throwing out c.H now that it can follow into launcher. It comes out fast and has good range, and catches a lot of brainless offense off guard, especially after a pushblock. I'm not sure how you're using the volcano but I never use 2 red 1 blue. It got a lot of buffs so there might be some new technology for it, but 3 red and 1 red 2 blue should be your go - tos. 3 red will blow up someone pushing buttons anywhere on the screen into a dark hole - chaotic flame followup, and 1 red 2 blue is great fullscreen keepaway, lasts forever and builds half a meter on block. Just don't throw out the meteors too late because there's a gap at close range and you'll get touched if they are already too far in.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Sentinel would be good, drones assist can support them both pretty well.

Seizure Robot posted:

GR/Dorm/Doom is a pretty good team. Dark Hole assist is very easy to extend GR combos with, plus Dorm benefits a lot from either plasma beam or hidden missiles and he has high damage DHC options. He also has the capability to play more keepaway if it was working for you with GR, or change it up and get in peoples faces which is nice.

Both of these 2 are working really well, and I'm going to keep at learning both of them until one pulls ahead as a clear winner. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I feel like I've got a really solid third for my team in one of these 2.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Arthur/Ammy/Doom is working well for me so far. No matter what assists I have or my team order, I have a pretty capable character on the front line.

I've never used Ammy before this team, so she's the weak point in my game. Low damage output combined with low health has kind of made her a liability on the field so far, but I'm sure as I get better things should work out.

Also, I need to work on trijumping with Doom. I keep hitting the buttons before inputting the direction and getting his j.H laser.

Arthur's improved j.S is a godsend. Nothing confuses people who've spent the last 20 marvel seconds trying to get on top of Arthur when he suddenly jumps towards them and does an overhead.

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Isn't there a Reset Battle Record option under System or something?

Thanks alot, we ended up playing ranked one for one and made it up to 15 streak but my roommate lost to a 9th lord. lol

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Some dark spell stuff for the Dorm players discussing it, in case any of you don't know these tricks:

You get 1 free charge before you do a level 3, and it actually helps with the timing so that you don't ever whiff it while they're bouncing. Just be sure to keep track of how many charges you have stocked because nothing is worse than accidentally liberating 3D instead of charging and then whiffing a level 3 as they fly away.

2D1C and 2C1D always come out if you liberate (unlike 3D and others which can just blow your charges and not come out if you get hit.) 2D1C is an amazing "get off me" move for Dorm because of this, and can be followed up for some pretty decent damage and some stock back by charging again, pillar -> chaotic flame or if you have a good assist for it you can flame carpet + assist and launch into a full combo off it.

When you hit with 2C1D you can charge twice, level 3, charge again, liberate 2D1C, charge again, pillar -> chaotic flame. Lots of damage and leaves you with charge.

3D hits OTG, so in addition to keeping people from pressing buttons with it you can end a combo with 3D -> dark hole -> chaotic flame or even sometimes a full relaunch when in the corner (depends how much hit stun decay you accumulated during the combo) when you need to squeeze out damage to finish your plate.

2D1C and 2C1D are almost always my preferred charges, though. 2C1D for fullscreen zoning/chip and 2D1C to keep aggressive rushdown characters on their toes and out of my rear end. 3D has it's uses and was the go-to in vanilla but the buffs to these 2 tend to make them outshine it in my opinion.

That's all I can think of for now.

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 28, 2011

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Thundercracker posted:

Doom [...] no bad matchups.

Oh my GOD this is wrong.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

YFDHippo posted:

No one is going to convince anyone else that their character sucks. We'd have an easier time trying to convince people to change their religions.

Which is hilarious because in street fighter everyone is trying to convince people their character is bottom tier.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What are Wolverine's options against Haggar? Without Herpderper slash (invincible berserker slash) it seems like Wolverine's reduced to only attacking Haggar under the cover of assists. I believe all of Haggar's buttons beat Wolverine's buttons and all of Haggar's buttons are safe except that giant dropkick thing that OTGs.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Airgrab haggar when he whiffs pipe, or dash in and hit c.l (don't mash). If haggar's in the corner you can do an instant overhead with j.l, j.s, drill claw, dive kick into combo. I generally just call drones full screen and "herpderper" slash.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Airgrab haggar when he whiffs pipe, or dash in and hit c.l (don't mash). If haggar's in the corner you can do an instant overhead with j.l, j.s, drill claw, dive kick into combo. I generally just call drones full screen and "herpderper" slash.

I've found that dash in c.L generally gets me killed because Haggars are always pressing buttons or setting up to grab me. Air grabbing whiffed pipes sounds like a good idea though, thanks. I need to work on my whiff punishes, c.L doesn't have the best range for punishes and I don't always know when stuff is in recovery frames and it's safe to dash in.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Uhhhh Wolverine is a lot faster than Haggar and can out-normal him if you aren't being an idiot about it. It sounds like you're just running into him with no thought and letting yourself get hit or punished. Haggar is a pretty easy character to train into blocking, if you just keep the pressure on it's only a matter of time until you get a Berserker Slash.

Not to mention stuff like the divekick, airthrows, and the instant overheard that should easily open Haggar up.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Seizure Robot posted:

Some dark spell stuff for the Dorm players discussing it, in case any of you don't know these tricks:

You get 1 free charge before you do a level 3, and it actually helps with the timing so that you don't ever whiff it while they're bouncing. Just be sure to keep track of how many charges you have stocked because nothing is worse than accidentally liberating 3D instead of charging and then whiffing a level 3 as they fly away.

2D1C and 2C1D always come out if you liberate (unlike 3D and others which can just blow your charges and not come out if you get hit.) 2D1C is an amazing "get off me" move for Dorm because of this, and can be followed up for some pretty decent damage and some stock back by charging again, pillar -> chaotic flame or if you have a good assist for it you can flame carpet + assist and launch into a full combo off it.

When you hit with 2C1D you can charge twice, level 3, charge again, liberate 2D1C, charge again, pillar -> chaotic flame. Lots of damage and leaves you with charge.

3D hits OTG, so in addition to keeping people from pressing buttons with it you can end a combo with 3D -> dark hole -> chaotic flame or even sometimes a full relaunch when in the corner (depends how much hit stun decay you accumulated during the combo) when you need to squeeze out damage to finish your plate.

2D1C and 2C1D are almost always my preferred charges, though. 2C1D for fullscreen zoning/chip and 2D1C to keep aggressive rushdown characters on their toes and out of my rear end. 3D has it's uses and was the go-to in vanilla but the buffs to these 2 tend to make them outshine it in my opinion.

That's all I can think of for now.

You can also get in a charge after the level 3. So you could do an air combo, S, Power, level 3, Power, Purification xx Chaotic Flame.

Also, if you're close enough to the opponent during a Chaotic Flame, you can do a snapback (or, alternatively, M xx Chaotic Flame / M, S, TK'ed Liberation / et al).

My new BnB for Dorm is d+L, d+H, S, H xx Fly, L, H xx L Dark Hole, LMHS then whatever ender. With X-Factor going you could squeeze in another H xx Dark Hole after the first.

You can vary up the ground portion a bit as well, but if you have too many hits before the launch they'll flip out before the Dark Hole connects. Comes to about an additional 25% meter and damage over his basic air series.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cat Machine posted:

Uhhhh Wolverine is a lot faster than Haggar and can out-normal him if you aren't being an idiot about it. It sounds like you're just running into him with no thought and letting yourself get hit or punished. Haggar is a pretty easy character to train into blocking, if you just keep the pressure on it's only a matter of time until you get a Berserker Slash.

Not to mention stuff like the divekick, airthrows, and the instant overheard that should easily open Haggar up.

Dive kicking Haggar is a really bad idea because of Lariat, but everything else you said is pretty true.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Dive kicking Haggar is a really bad idea because of Lariat, but everything else you said is pretty true.
You can still use the divekick if you're smart with it. Obviously doing a wide jump and divekicking at the peak is dumb, but you can incorporate it into your offense without Haggar being able to answer effectively.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Cat Machine posted:

You can still use the divekick if you're smart with it. Obviously doing a wide jump and divekicking at the peak is dumb, but you can incorporate it into your offense without Haggar being able to answer effectively.
Air pipe counters the trajectory that wolverine's dive kick covers. All the Haggar player has to do when he sees a wolverine jump is dash back and make wolverine land on air pipe and/or be ready to lariat. Haggar has no problems against other melee characters only zoners give him trouble and that can be mitigated with assists on point.

Edit: Also superarmor characters are troublesome! Hulk is a bad matchup...

AntifaSupersoldier fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 28, 2011

ScarletOHara
May 21, 2007

Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.
So I got this game last night, tooled around in mission mode and arcade for a few hours, and then took it online. Went 1-13 on ranked and wish I had gotten SF4 instead, even though my only fighter experience is SF2 in grade school playing with my neighbor.

I was wondering though that maybe someone can suggest a good team I can start learning with that is both easy to use and will teach me the values of good team composition rather than picking whatever the gently caress you want.

Or like even a good guide to read. How good of a source is lurking shoryuken.com?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ScarletOHara posted:

So I got this game last night, tooled around in mission mode and arcade for a few hours, and then took it online. Went 1-13 on ranked and wish I had gotten SF4 instead, even though my only fighter experience is SF2 in grade school playing with my neighbor.

I was wondering though that maybe someone can suggest a good team I can start learning with that is both easy to use and will teach me the values of good team composition rather than picking whatever the gently caress you want.

Or like even a good guide to read. How good of a source is lurking shoryuken.com?

Buy the Bradley guide. Like seriously, don't screw around on the internet. The amount of web trawling you'll need to do to get the info in this guide is immense. It's one of the best written guides for any video game ever made. Not only does it give you hard data on everything in the entire game, but comprehensive tactical info on how to play the game and each character. Plus, it's pretty funny.

You'll be in rough shape otherwise coming from SF2 because this game is orders of magntitude more complicated.

As for beginner characters, you can't go wrong with Wesker and Sentinel. Each are powerful on their own, and can do decent damage with a basic "magic-series" combo.

Don't feel bad about being terrible at this game though. I was decent in original MvC3, and still lose 1-8 on bad nights.

Edit: Also, don't play Ranked right away. Play unranked so you can have multiple matches against the same character so you can get a good feel of their strengths and tricks.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Do the cards stack attributes? More specifically, can I use a Professor X main card (increase chance of rare Marvel card and a Nick Fury secondary)? I have a feeling it will just give me X's Lv 2 and not add Fury's Lv 1.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Attributes definitely stack.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

ScarletOHara posted:

When you make your team make sure to make it varied in playstyles and that they cover each other's weaknesses.

You don't want a team full of rushdown characters that can be easily zoned out by a bad matchup and you don't want to have no answer to a zoner either.

Easiest way to get in on zoners are characters with teleports.

Have a character with a horizontal assist to help your point character get in and for crossup mixups with a teleporter or rushdown character with left right mixup.

Also learn at least one bread and butter combo for all your characters.

The guide will tell you what moves you have are safe, what can be punished and general strats for the characters.

It's important to at least familiariaze yourself with what other characters can do even if you don't play them so you know what to expect in a match.

Like Thundercracker said, Wesker/Sentinel/XXXXX would make a good beginner team. I would probably go with Wolverine/Sentinel/Wesker. You could practice mixups with berserker slash and drones. That team could be weak to zoning though since sentinel's zoning isn't all that great but you could get away with it if you make up for it with sustained offense.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'm in roughly the same situation as ScarletOHara. I've just barely gotten to the point where I can combo LMHS sj.MMHS successfully in training mode. Is Captain America a hard character to play as, or should I stick with Wolverine/Sent/Wesker instead?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Captain America is one of the most derpy characters who's actually capable of dealing damage. Jump around throwing shield slashes and assists, hitconfirm for an inexplicable amount of damage.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Cap's easy, fairly effective and simple. The only issue you might have is that you remember to adjust your combos depending on how close you are to the corner when you start your combo unless you have Deadpool or Wesker OTG assists.
If you're midscreen or further away from the corner you can just do whatever > launcher > MMHS > Shield Slash L > dash up > launcher > MMHS > Shield Slash L > Hyper Charging Star.

Cap also has a down+H command normal in the air which you can use instead of second M, it'll do a little more damage but if you're still getting used to the basics then you can forget about it until you feel ready.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 28, 2011

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Metrohunter posted:

Cap's easy, fairly effective and simple. The only issue you might have is that you remember to adjust your combos depending on how close you are to the corner when you start your combo unless you have Deadpool or Wesker OTG assists.
If you're midscreen or further away from the corner you can just do whatever > launcher > MMHS > Shield Slash L > dash up > launcher > MMHS > Shield Slash L > Hyper Charging Star.

Cap also has a down+H command normal in the air which you can use instead of second M, it'll do a little more damage but if you're still getting used to the basics then you can forget about it until you feel ready.

A wall or ground bounce assist means you can just do the same combo in the corner, to make it even easier to start with.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Those will work too. Hell, I use Vergil's Rapid Slash assist for Cap's corner combo and it works fine. As long as it doesn't knock the opponent too high up and comes out fairly quickly it'll probably work just fine.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Metrohunter posted:

That down+H was killing me in mission mode. I can do the rest of that fine, but comboing H into d+H always got me. Glad to know it's not necessary to do good damage though. Is there any way you could use a bulky character like Sent or Hulk that gets a good ground/wall bounce (E: for clarity, what big guys have good wall bounces? I guess She-Hulk counts too, doesn't she have one?)? I'm not terribly interested in playing Vergil, but I'm really liking the heavier characters so far. Especially Sent.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 28, 2011

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

The only wallbounce assists I can think of off the top of my head are Wesker's Ghost Butterfly assist, Nemesis' Clothesline Rocket and Phoenix Wright's boosted up Press The Witness assist. But then if you're using Wesker you might as well just use his Samurai Edge assist to OTG with instead as it's better for that purpose. I don't think Sentinel or Hulk have wallbounces at all, though Nemesis has groundbounces and wallbounces.

e: Nemesis' Clothesline Rocket assist doesn't combo very well midscreen since the rocket will hit them after the wallbounce and they'll drop out afterwards unless you can follow up with something. That said I know the rocket misses the opponent if your opponent is in the corner which should let you follow up. I haven't tried it myself though but it's definitely worth a try. Nemesis has a groundbouncing assist too.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 28, 2011

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I mainly said wall bounce because I like to use Nova with his, there's a spot on screen that's just too far for his ground bounce to hit but just close enough that cap can't solo relaunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Wait, doesn't Hawkeye have that frost arrow OTG? Is that an assist? He looks kind of fun to play. I'll give Nemesis a try too.

• Locked thread