Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Why am I so bad at hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's not a hat, it's an eye-warmer. :colbert:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Roflex posted:

Why am I so bad at hats

Better too long than too short.

I am STILL working on that loving scarf I bitched about ages ago. Now it's not that I'm putting in a lot of work, it's just that I keep looking at and thinking "I DON'T WANT TO TOUCH YOU ANYMORE."

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Roflex posted:

Why am I so bad at hats

Now you'll get to have a cute brim to fold up!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Snip a few stitches, unravel and bind off like you're doing an afterthought pocket. Now you're Mushmouth from Fat Albert!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've got so much bad yarn, everyone's getting bad hats for Christmas.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011

Roflex posted:

Why am I so bad at hats

I did this once, knitting it class and lost track of length. Roll the brim up for triple thickness!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
One row lace scarf on size 13 needles with worsted weight yarn only took one night. Lotta people are gonna get scarves for Christmas!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Dead Cow posted:

One row lace scarf on size 13 needles with worsted weight yarn only took one night. Lotta people are gonna get scarves for Christmas!
Nifty, what pattern did you use?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Big Bug Hug posted:

Nifty, what pattern did you use?

"One Row Lace Scarf"

It's cast on 4+ any multiple of 4 (12 to 20 is best for a total of 16 to 24 cast on)

knit 2 rows
Start pattern Knit 4 *yarn over, knit 2 together knit 2* *til end of row
rinse
repeat
scarf in just a few episodes of (insert show here)

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 21, 2011

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Quote is not edit apparently

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Duh, I suppose I should have guessed the name. Thanks :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So. I sorta forgot to make a present for my future sister-in-law.

Does anyone have a really loving fast pattern for a hat using bulky yarn?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/images/harlot_unoriginal_hat.pdf

I haven't made this one myself but I trust her stuff.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

neongrey posted:

http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/images/harlot_unoriginal_hat.pdf

I haven't made this one myself but I trust her stuff.

That might work! I just need to reteach myself to do cables again. God, I haven't done that since college. :derp:

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Wandering Knitter posted:

So. I sorta forgot to make a present for my future sister-in-law.

Does anyone have a really loving fast pattern for a hat using bulky yarn?

Super Bulky for this one. I did it in Wool-Ease Thick & Quick and I shortened up the ribbing a tiny bit and it came out great.http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shroom-2

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
I'm going to need a padded cell when I'm done with nupps for the shawl I'm making--the bride it is for isn't a beads or pearls kind of girl, so no faking it :suicide:. Question: I saw a video of Nancy Bush doing nupps and she does the loops then passes them back to the left needle and knits together. I know you can make this easier doing it with a crochet needle. The thing is, the pattern I'm making (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl) has you make the loops and purl them together on the next row (ws). Does this make a difference in the shape, like elongate the bobble, or change the way it is aligned? I've been doing it the pattern way, and I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

HeatherChandler posted:

I'm going to need a padded cell when I'm done with nupps for the shawl I'm making--the bride it is for isn't a beads or pearls kind of girl, so no faking it :suicide:. Question: I saw a video of Nancy Bush doing nupps and she does the loops then passes them back to the left needle and knits together. I know you can make this easier doing it with a crochet needle. The thing is, the pattern I'm making (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl) has you make the loops and purl them together on the next row (ws). Does this make a difference in the shape, like elongate the bobble, or change the way it is aligned? I've been doing it the pattern way, and I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it.

I do my nupps on the next row so I don't accidently forget I did them already. Just makes my brain work better. Also, I use a crochet hook for nupps.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Anyone have any good entrelac links? I'm trying to make a Kindle cozy, the pattern I'm using calls for entrelac in the round but 1. I can't understand what the pattern is telling me and 2. can't find ANY resources for entrelac in the round. I'm having issues with the round part, because it influences the beginning/ending triangles (as in, gets rid of them). I'm certainly no novice, but this is the first time I've tried entrelac and am seriously stumped. I really hate sewing in ends, so I'd rather suffer through this if I can :P

e: I've done the bottom triangles but am lost when making the first CC tier.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Dead Cow posted:

I do my nupps on the next row so I don't accidently forget I did them already. Just makes my brain work better. Also, I use a crochet hook for nupps.

Do you make the loops and purl together on the next row (using a crochet hook like you would the needle, just using the hook head to pull the loop through) or wait until the next row and doing the crochet method of making loops and pulling through in one go? I have a pretty tiny crochet hook and I tried doing the former, but without a point I'm useless at getting it through.

They sure are pretty though!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Ahhh, I just received three balls of this! in shade 3047. What should I do with it? I'm thinking of making these gloves but I'm worried the wool will be too thin.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

So. Dudes. Two knits ago I decided I need to knit my mother a Hemlock Ring Blanket with my ball of Kauni.

Yeah. I'm super smart. I think she'll like the throw though!

Antinumeric posted:

Ahhh, I just received three balls of this! in shade 3047. What should I do with it? I'm thinking of making these gloves but I'm worried the wool will be too thin.

A quick look at the yarn page vs the glove page suggests that it will work ok. The yarn's recommended needle is a 4mm, and the yarn for the glove suggests a 3.5mm. Why not knit a test swatch?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Antinumeric posted:

Pretty much decided that I need around 15 balls of 2056 before I die. No idea what I'll make with it yet, but I am so in love!!

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I am so sick of garter stitch but I needed something brainless and quick so I could make a bunch of Christmas presents.

This one is going to a cousin that works at MSU.

This one ended up almost 9 foot long.

I still need to finish two more scarves before the end of the year. I swear next year I am starting in like March.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Alright, i'm currently knitting this : http://giftable.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/bearded-toque-new-version.pdf

I've just reached the section that says, "Next row: pm, CO 3 sts, connect and knit seed st in the round for 1” ". So i'm trying to figure out whether I place the marker at the start of the new row or whether I should cast on the 3 stitches at the end of the row and connect it in the round with what used to be the start of my row.

I'm probably overthinking things which is why i'm so confused, i'd appreciate some advice.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Usually that means to place the marker, cast on the three stitches (use something that will put the new stitches on the right needle), and then go into seed stitch. That's how I've done similar instructions.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Yay finished objects!

First, a little beret/tam type hat I whipped up in a few days just to get rid of some stash yarn:

Black Cat Beret by pucklynn, on Flickr

The yarn is Berroco Ultra Alpaca, and the pattern is Easy Peasy Pinwheel Hat(rav link). I still haven't quite figured out how to wear these things yet. I think I'm doing it right:

Black Cat Beret 2 by pucklynn, on Flickr

And a sweater that I've been working on for over a year now-- I put it down for about nine months because the sleeves were driving me crazy and of course when I picked it back up I hadn't taken any notes besides changing a few stitch counts in the pattern. THAT was fun to sort out, let me tell you. Pattern is Vivian (rav link) and the yarn is KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in the Cadet colorway.

Vivian by pucklynn, on Flickr

I'm planning on sewing a zipper into it eventually, but I kind of like how it looks with the shawl pin holding it closed. The only problem with that is that it leaves my stomach cold when I wear it outside in the wind.

I'm so glad to have that drat thing done. When I was knitting it, I'd often have to stop and drop down several rows of cables just to make sure they were twisted right. I had this attitude of "it'll be perfect or I won't have it" and even though it was incredibly frustrating to knit it that way, I'm glad I did it, because it fits perfectly and looks great (I think so) and I'll probably treat all my sweaters like that from now on.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

So the Mom in law got me a knitting book for Christmas which refueled my desire to master knitting. I've been an avid crocheter for years and always got frustrated when trying to learn to knit. What would y'all recommend for a beginning interchangeable needle set? Somebody mentioned Denise Knitting Needles would be a good beginner purchase. Any other suggestions?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I wouldn't get interchangeables to start with. I too was an avid crocheter who turned to knitting. I started on bamboo circulars (fixed). I tried a metal set and hated them, thought they were way too slippery. But as I got more and more comfortable with what I was doing, I found the grabbiness of my bamboo needles really annoying me, and found myself turning to my metal needles more often than not, because the slipperiness made my projects go a ton faster. I ended up getting the Knitpicks nickel plated set for my birthday, after having gotten their "try it" kit and really falling in love with the nickel needles. So, my suggestion if you really want to try some interchangeables would be to get the "try it" set and find out what works best for you. And remember that it might change as you get more proficient.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

teknicolor posted:

I'm trying to make a Kindle cozy...

I'm no help, but I thanks for putting the Kindle cozy idea in my head :) Needed a break from lace.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/argyle-cardigan-for-kindle-3

The bottom edge looks terrrrrible, it uses Judy's Magic Cast-On, which is awesome when not done crappily by me. It'll get beat up in my purse anyway.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I asked the writer of the pattern and got an answer, but perhaps I will just use the pattern you used instead. :)

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

teknicolor posted:

Anyone have any good entrelac links? I'm trying to make a Kindle cozy, the pattern I'm using calls for entrelac in the round but 1. I can't understand what the pattern is telling me and 2. can't find ANY resources for entrelac in the round. I'm having issues with the round part, because it influences the beginning/ending triangles (as in, gets rid of them). I'm certainly no novice, but this is the first time I've tried entrelac and am seriously stumped. I really hate sewing in ends, so I'd rather suffer through this if I can :P

e: I've done the bottom triangles but am lost when making the first CC tier.

I knitted an entrelac cover for my Kobo, and the pattern I found was also in the round. I decided to just knit two straight blocks of entrelac and sew them together, it worked just as well.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Fire In The Disco posted:

I wouldn't get interchangeables to start with. I too was an avid crocheter who turned to knitting. I started on bamboo circulars (fixed). I tried a metal set and hated them, thought they were way too slippery. But as I got more and more comfortable with what I was doing, I found the grabbiness of my bamboo needles really annoying me, and found myself turning to my metal needles more often than not, because the slipperiness made my projects go a ton faster. I ended up getting the Knitpicks nickel plated set for my birthday, after having gotten their "try it" kit and really falling in love with the nickel needles. So, my suggestion if you really want to try some interchangeables would be to get the "try it" set and find out what works best for you. And remember that it might change as you get more proficient.

I second the "try it" kit. I know there's savings to be had if you buy one of their sets, but I don't really use that many different sizes of needles. Once you get the cords you can buy tips as needed IF you really want that size.

One other thing I saw mentioned earlier in the thread, and I did something similar, is to get a cheap chinese set off of ebay. For like $15 I got a set of lovely circular needles in EVERY size. They work enough to knit with, and it's nice having one of every size if you do end up needing them. Honestly though, I use 1s or 2s for socks, 4s or 6s for lace work, 6s or 8s for most things, and a trusty pair of 13s for scarves. I didn't really find myself needing so many different sizes.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I went a bit mad in the John Lewis sale and got myself 5 balls of Noro Kogarasi in number 8... and now don't know what to do with it. You can see the colour - number 8 - here http://www.paviyarns.co.uk/shop/images/catagories/1233.jpg

I was thinking of making a big, smooshy, slightly lacy long cowl/snood/circle scarf thing, that I can wrap at least twice and is still loose and fluffy. Any ideas? Ravelry is classing it as bulky but I think it looks more like an aran weight. It's so soft and pretty!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I finished something. I am a nupp convert, I am happy and think they were worth the effort. The sun wouldn't cooperate with my photo session and come out. If the bride doesn't like this I will die.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 27, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

HeatherChandler posted:

I finished something. I am a nupp convert, I am happy and think they were worth the effort. The sun wouldn't cooperate with my photo session and come out. If the bride doesn't like this I will die.

This is stunning. I love the color. And if she doesn't like it, she's out of her drat mind.

What pattern is that? I know I've seen it before.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
So I finished a glove:

All the knitting was done on Christmas day, it's surprisingly quick to make one of these! Only problem is, as you can see, I made it way too big (by about 4-6 stitches). The question is do I make the second one the same size or do I make the second one fit properly? Also the ring finger is one row longer than the rest and that annoys me :(.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Antinumeric posted:

All the knitting was done on Christmas day, it's surprisingly quick to make one of these! Only problem is, as you can see, I made it way too big (by about 4-6 stitches). The question is do I make the second one the same size or do I make the second one fit properly? Also the ring finger is one row longer than the rest and that annoys me .

I'd make the second fit you. Unless you know someone who would want them and has bigger hands than you.

HeatherChandler posted:

If she doesn't like it keep it for yourself. (And drink lots of your favourite beverage and eat chocolate to make up for it. Jeez, I hate to think someone wouldn't like that, it's gorgeous)

Also, sup fellow nupp convert! :hfive:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A while ago I posted about maybe knitting a chrismas tree for my cousin, since she was going to be away from home for Christmas for the first time (year away in New York).

Anyway, thanks to some good advice in this very thread, I successfully knitted said tree, got some bauble-shaped beads from the local bead shop and decorated it all over. It really did look awesome :D

Then her parents decided to buy her return flights as a surprise present, so she was here for the day, which was super awesome. I decided to give her the tree anyway, and Oh My God, did it go down well - she said it was the best present she has ever recieved and when she goes back, it will be hanging up whereever she is living until may at the very earliest.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

This is stunning. I love the color. And if she doesn't like it, she's out of her drat mind.

What pattern is that? I know I've seen it before.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl

Thank you!

What I don't like is how pointy my points are. I tend to bind off way too tight so I used a few needle sizes up--too many sizes up, and I had to block it that way to keep it from being sloppy. My dear friend is no bridezilla, but has this fear of anything too fussy.