Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeksis
Feb 8, 2005
From the World History Final Exam talk page:

quote:

The Crusades were:
(a) two military expeditions over a 100-year period, beginning in AD 1050, by Christians to free Jerusalem and make it safe for pilgrimages
(b) four military expeditions over a 100-year period, beginning in AD 1099, by Christians to free Jerusalem and make it safe for pilgrimages
(c) five military expeditions over a 200-year period, beginning in AD 1001, by Christians to free Jerusalem and make it safe for pilgrimages
(d) one military beginning in AD 1050, by Christians to conquer the world

None of the answers fits the information given during your lectures (4/5 campaigns from 1096 until 1212/1291) - or what seems to be consensus under historians: from 1095-1291 they generally enumerate nine crusades to free Jerusalem.

Oh, so ALL the answers are wrong. But that's fine, because as Andy points out:

quote:

You make good points, but the "best answer" is still the same.
So it's not a matter of picking the right answer, just the one which is slightly less wrong than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Skeksis posted:

So it's not a matter of picking the right answer, just the one which is slightly less wrong than the others.

Not that I want to even slightly defend Schlafly, but for one, the official language listening comprehension tests I have been in (English is not my native tongue), when all the options seem wrong, you have to pick the least wrong option. Similarly, if two or more options all seem technically correct, you have to pick the one that is the most correct. Though when there have been multiple correct options, the board of education usually (after receiving a flurry of complaints), will accept all the correct choices.

This is not in the US, if that isn't clear.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

quote:

20. Each of the following is an example of monotheism EXCEPT:
(a) Judaism
(b) Buddhism
(c) Christianity
(d) Islam

I'd want to know what Andy put as the answer for this: Judaism is definitely monotheistic, but Buddhism is more of a philosophy and isn't necessarily theistic (it's very easy to be an atheist Buddhist), Unitarians claim that the Trinity is arguably polytheistic, and Islam, of course, is the target of claims by the wingnut right that they also worship Muhammad/the Moon/not Allah exclusively.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's b because Andy has no grasp of how a faith can be non-theistic so he assumes the multiple Buddhas are all gods.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Trogdos! posted:

Not that I want to even slightly defend Schlafly, but for one, the official language listening comprehension tests I have been in (English is not my native tongue), when all the options seem wrong, you have to pick the least wrong option. Similarly, if two or more options all seem technically correct, you have to pick the one that is the most correct.

The difference is though, that history has to deal in substanciated facts and figures. You can't just have a question like this for example:

In what year was the Battle of Hastings fought?
1)AD 1115
2)32 BC
3)AD 1784
4)AD 1999

and then award points to the closest year. One of the options should be the correct one. If there is no correct option, then the writer of the exam is a cretinous baffon.

For a language one usage one however, it would be a tad different.
e.g (pulling this out of my arse):

What is the correct way to answer a telephone call from an unknown number?
1) Wassup bitch?
2) Who's speaking?
3) To whom am I speaking?
4) *heavy breathing noises*

You could say that 2 and 3 are the more correct ways, or whatever. There's leeway enough with a question like that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Andy Schlafly posted:

46. If this influential person in World History were able to speak to our class for a few minutes, he might give you the following advice: “Master a trade or useful activity as a teenager, as I did. Become the world’s greatest expert at it. Develop an ambition for it that has no limits. Then persevere in finding someone to support your dream. Add to that the fearless advantage of Christian faith, and you will be able to unlock a great discovery that will change the world more than you will ever realize.” Who would be most likely to give you that advice?
(a) David Hume
(b) Christopher Columbus
(c) Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
(d) Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

I didn't know Christopher Columbus was also an inspirational writer.

edit: oh god, don't tell me that's actually the intended answer

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 26, 2011

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TinTower posted:

I'd want to know what Andy put as the answer for this: Judaism is definitely monotheistic, but Buddhism is more of a philosophy and isn't necessarily theistic (it's very easy to be an atheist Buddhist), Unitarians claim that the Trinity is arguably polytheistic, and Islam, of course, is the target of claims by the wingnut right that they also worship Muhammad/the Moon/not Allah exclusively.
It's even weirder with Andy being a Catholic, which is arguably one of the most polytheistic of the Christian denominations, what with a whole canon of saints that apparently have earthly specialties and can be prayed to for intervention individually.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Glitterbomber posted:

It's b because Andy has no grasp of how a faith can be non-theistic so he assumes the multiple Buddhas are all gods.

I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt and assume he knows buddhism has no gods.

OneEightHundred posted:

It's even weirder with Andy being a Catholic, which is arguably one of the most polytheistic of the Christian denominations, what with a whole canon of saints that apparently have earthly specialties and can be prayed to for intervention individually.
Intercession actually. You ask them to put in a good word for you with the almighty, they don't have power by themselves. Just goes to show that even in heaven you're hosed without connections. :catholic:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 26, 2011

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MeLKoR posted:

I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt and assume he knows buddhism has no gods.

You have way more faith in him then I do.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I didn't know Christopher Columbus was also an inspirational writer.

edit: oh god, don't tell me that's actually the intended answer

Unfortunatley I think it is...

David Hume was highly critcal of the Church, so that's a probable, no. Lenin was a Communist so obviously Andy wouldn't label him an someone inspirational, and Atatürk was Muslim, so also no.

Schlafly is such a moron :psyduck:

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

So if you choose Christian, you get to take the Fearless Feat during character creation?

Really though, what the gently caress is he talking about? Most of the conservative Christians I know seem to live in a constant bubble of fear.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MeLKoR posted:

Legend goes that MacArthur was pushing to nuke China and possibly the USSR during the Korean war and that that was why he was relieved of command. It would follow then that Truman, like all no good american hating traitorous liberal commie presidents prevented victory in the war by not allowing MacArthur to start WW3 the means to victory.

As usual the conservative response to anything war related is "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD".

Holy poo poo they're insane if they thought anything good would have come out of McArthur "winning the war."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sarion posted:

So if you choose Christian, you get to take the Fearless Feat during character creation?

Really though, what the gently caress is he talking about? Most of the conservative Christians I know seem to live in a constant bubble of fear.

I suppose the fearless attitude comes from equal parts "God's Will" and the certainty that those who have lived well, done good works, and been Good Christians have nothing to fear from death or anything else. That's just conjecture, though, and I also want to know what's up with the utter terror that so many conservative Christians live in. Say again, if you've been a good Christian you have nothing to fear from anything, you are (probably) destined for Heaven whatever your neighbor may do.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

World history final exam has been fully graded

The World History Final Exam has been fully graded ... can you beat its top scores?

No seriously, take it:

Just a choice selection. And why have separate extra credit questions for boys and girls?

Hah, that question "for girls only" is flawed because all the answers are wrong. Obviously, the answer is supposed to be "Marx," implying Karl Marx, but Joseph Marx was a famous Austrian composer.

Also, how is it a "history" question to ask what percentage of the current world population is Christian?

Skeksis posted:

To be fair to Schlafly (ugh, how I hate myself for having written that), I had a teacher in my public high school who frequently said the same thing, though not in response to a question with all wrong choices, but rather when a question had two or more choices that could be right. Being a grade-grubbing nerd, I would always try to argue for more points on the basis that the "wrong" answer I chose was technically correct, but he'd just dismiss me with "Well, you should have picked the other answer because it's more correct."

This would piss me off to no end but I kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to piss him off and screw myself over for the rest of the year in his class. I always wanted to say, "Bitch, you wrote the loving test. Take some responsibility for having written a lovely question and give me my loving points."

darthbob88 posted:

I suppose the fearless attitude comes from equal parts "God's Will" and the certainty that those who have lived well, done good works, and been Good Christians have nothing to fear from death or anything else. That's just conjecture, though, and I also want to know what's up with the utter terror that so many conservative Christians live in. Say again, if you've been a good Christian you have nothing to fear from anything, you are (probably) destined for Heaven whatever your neighbor may do.

Yeah, that's why I'm so perplexed by all the Christians I've known personally and those I've just read about who are so adamant about punishing sinners and those who aren't following their Christian morality. I mean, is God going to punish you personally if a couple of gay guys can get married?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Bruce Leroy posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm so perplexed by all the Christians I've known personally and those I've just read about who are so adamant about punishing sinners and those who aren't following their Christian morality. I mean, is God going to punish you personally if a couple of gay guys can get married?
The logic is more along the lines of "God said gay sex is wrong, so we should be discouraging it."

You'll find that's an extremely recurrent theme.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

The logic is more along the lines of "God said gay sex is wrong, so we should be discouraging it."

But shouldn't they leave all that up to God?

In the New Testament, there's quite a few instances of Jesus telling everyone that they shouldn't be judging other people and should really only be concerned with their failings, so there's substantial foundation for Christian to just mind their own business and not get involved in what is at best soft theocracy.

From what I've read on Conservapedia, their interpretation of these same passages are that they can start judging other people they become religiously perfect (for lack of a better word). Therefore, because they all judge themselves as devout both in belief and action (usually just by interpreting passages in a favorable way and ignoring those they can't), it's fine for them to start hating on gays and telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

This essay is moving.

And this one was filed under "comedy".

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FoiledAgain posted:

This essay is moving.

That one links to what's still one of my favorite pages on Conservapedia.

http://conservapedia.com/Poe%27s_law

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
^^ The talk page for that page redirects to the article on evolution. :wtc:

There's a particular breed of Christianity out there where the followers believe that on judgment day God is going to hold them accountable for the actions of basically everyone on earth and not just them. So basically it's not enough for them to not sin, other people around them sinning is just as bad as if they were doing the sinning themselves. I don't remember what the particular philosophy is called but I think that ebook on authoritarians talks about it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Bruce Leroy posted:

Let's not forget the most famous saying in the Bible: "Judge everyone, you motherfuckers, because they're judging you right back."

...wait, I think I did that wrong.

"Everyone in the world is going to gently caress you over. Be smart, gently caress them over first."

No, that was my best friend in high school. Hmmm. What -did- the Bible say about being a judgmental rear end in a top hat and sticking your nose in everyone else's business, again? :catholic:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Idran posted:

Gotta love the fact that even though the essay page contains only an image and a bunch of links there's still forty-odd edits to the page, all by Conservative, over a six month period.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Idran posted:

Conservapedians are aware that Poe's Law isn't just used for creationism and other religious stuff, right?

Or is the fact that it can easily be applied to creationists too much for them to tolerate it at all?

Fitzdraco
Aug 4, 2007
From the girls like ponies more then atheists talk page
http://conservapedia.com/Talk:Essay:_Ponies_vs._atheism_-_Ponies_win

comes this fantastic quote that makes me feel like almost the whole world is atheist.

quote:

Female Atheist?

Wouldn't a female atheist find male atheist attractive? After all, as an atheist she would like to sin and have sex before marriage, something no Christian man would do. There for I believe female atheist would only be attractive to male atheist. I know as a Christian male myself, I am not attracted to atheist women. Maybe your next essay could be about how female atheist are less attractive to good healthy skinny kind hearted accepting Christian men?--KenN 11:46, 20 September 2011 (EDT)

And some clips from the style page
http://conservapedia.com/Conservapedia:Manual_of_Style

quote:

The inclusion of sexual orientation in a biography is generally prohibited due to the Commandment against gossip. In the rare instance where the subject has publicly self-identified that their sexuality is important, then the subject's own quotes should be used as a source.

I guess this is true, Conservative isn't a clever pseudonym.

quote:

Conservapedia is more trustworthy than Wikipedia, because most of the senior staff are real people (not anonymous hacks hiding behind their clever pseudonyms).

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Fitzdraco posted:

From the girls like ponies more then atheists talk page
http://conservapedia.com/Talk:Essay:_Ponies_vs._atheism_-_Ponies_win

comes this fantastic quote that makes me feel like almost the whole world is atheist.

Hmm, methinks the man doth protest too much. I'm guessing that he tried dating an atheist woman(women?) who laughed in his face for being the kind of person who would post in earnest on Conservapedia (e.g. Young Earth Creationist).

Fitzdraco posted:

I guess this is true, Conservative isn't a clever pseudonym.

Using a pseudonym means someone isn't a "real person?" So, Mark Twain wasn't a real person? How about Ayn Rand?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Bruce Leroy posted:

Hmm, methinks the man doth protest too much. I'm guessing that he tried dating an atheist woman(women?) who laughed in his face for being the kind of person who would post in earnest on Conservapedia (e.g. Young Earth Creationist).

Methinks the man's trolling the gently caress out of Conservapedia.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bruce Leroy posted:

Most of these people are dominionists that believe that Christ won't return to Earth until all the Earth is united under Christianity and certain other arbitrary conditions are met (Jews living in Israel, etc.).

Not that that answer makes it any less horrifying as to why they want to "punish" gay people, women who have abortions, etc. I mean, "because we want the world to end and all the sinners to get punished for all eternity GLORY HALLELUJAH" isn't quite a better reason for wanting to do something than "sinners offend my sense of morality".

Edit: Rather, Christ won't rapture away the Christians until those conditions are met, at which point you get the anti-christ and the tribulation and all the other silly extra-biblical poo poo that goes with it.

It kind of puts their loathing of gay people, muslims, women and everything else in perspective. To dominionists, these people aren't just sinners that deserve to be punished, their mere existence is preventing the dominionist from getting to meet up with Jesus and is preventing the will of God re: the end of the world from being done.

As if God, the all-powerful, omnipotent being that he supposedly is, is all "WHOA, hold up there angels, we can't go down there and end the world yet. There are still GAYS and LIBERALS around".

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 27, 2011

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Bruce Leroy posted:

In the New Testament, there's quite a few instances of Jesus telling everyone that they shouldn't be judging other people and should really only be concerned with their failings, so there's substantial foundation for Christian to just mind their own business and not get involved in what is at best soft theocracy.
It's not really that simple. "Turn the other cheek" is a completely unreasonable request to begin with and only really practicable if you think the world is going to end very soon. Everyone realizes that eventually, how they rationalize it can differ, but all of them think that it has to be excepted somehow to keep order in the meantime or things will just be pointlessly miserable. You can say the authoritarian types are being inconsistent in how they take these ancient rules a la carte, but the "judge not" types aren't really being consistent either since they're not exactly calling for the elimination of earthly criminal law so God can arbitrate murder cases instead.

I think it might be more enlightening to look at the judiciary, since it exhibits a very similar phenomenon, where there are essentially two schools of thought: The liberal "follow the principles" school, and the conservative "follow the rules" school. The people who try to legislate the gay away are very much in the "follow the rules" camp, and are convinced that we only even have rules because God gave them to us. Drugs might be another stark example, where the mere fact that people are breaking the law can bring condemnation.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 27, 2011

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OneEightHundred posted:

Drugs might be another stark example, where the mere fact that people are breaking the law can bring condemnation.

The book The Authoritarians talks about that a lot. Basically, conservatives are exponentially more likely to think that because something is illegal, it is inherently immoral.

Nevermind that interracial marriage, women (and non-property owning men) voting, etc. used to be illegal and thus presumably immoral and that, of course, morality is completely objective to these people meaning that if something was illegal and ergo immoral, it stands to reason that it is objectively immoral for ever since anything else would be oogah boogah subjective morality.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

C.C.C.P. posted:

Most of these people are dominionists that believe that Christ won't return to Earth until all the Earth is united under Christianity and certain other arbitrary conditions are met (Jews living in Israel, etc.).
I don't know if most of them are thinking about it that hard. There is a shitload of sort of head-nodding, a number that goes around a lot is about 10% of Christians have read the Bible cover-to-cover, so the rest (and probably a considerable chunk of the people that did read it but didn't retain it well) are essentially trusting the preachers and priests to distill the important bits for them.

The whole thing with gays is that God disliking sexual deviancy is a recurring theme, and as members of the fairly solid majority of people not interested in gay sex, they have no trouble seeing gays as deviants, especially when the guy with the mic on Sunday confirmed it with a Bible passage calling them an "abomination."

Some of it is also just flat-out resistance to change. There are a lot of people who get really bothered when resources are being devoted to something that, to them, was never a problem. Why, society survived for thousands of years without gay marriage, so why implement it today!?

I think the theology is ultimately on the side of the homophobes though: The "judge not" thing is a concession that gays are doing something wrong, and saying "God wouldn't punish people for doing things they didn't know were wrong" isn't a good rationale for giving it government recognition or for not "informing" them that they are doing something wrong. Nevermind that it's an injunction against hypocrisy, not being judgmental, people who aren't gay would have no qualms with hurling scorn at gays because if God judges them by the "is not gay" measure then surely they'll pass!

It would probably be more productive to focus on why legislation should not make theological presumptions.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 27, 2011

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't know if most of them are thinking about it that hard.

A lot of them are thinking that hard with regards to Israel, at the very least. I was dragged along to church when I was little; my family was Southern Baptist which, while horribly wacky and regressive, is pretty much mainstream for America. I remember hearing all about how the Jews returning to Israel were a part of Gods plan and how even though they weren't saved, they still were God's chosen people and had a special role to play in the end times (I guess the implication was that that "role" was "to be in Israel").

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also, I agree that most of them don't think of it as deeply as like "If we get rid of all gays, the world will be 13.7% closer to Rapture-Ready(tm)!"

But I think they feel a general feeling that Group X is doing a thing God says is a no-no and that they shouldn't be allowed to do whatever it is because if they do, others will see that whatever it is is okay to do and then they'll do it and then OH GOD SUDDENLY THE WORLD IS LESS CHRISTIAN OVERALL :gonk:

Basically, even if Joe and Jane Fundie aren't consciously buying into the overt message that Undesirables must be Dealt With for Jesus to come back, they're following along with a message preached by someone who DOES buy into that message. So yeah, I agree with the "trusting preachers to disseminate the knowledge because reading the Bible sure is hard with all those 'thee's' and 'thou's'" thing totally.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Conservapedia is actually a great thing because it gives the conservative nuts a place to fool around and keep them away from Wikipedia.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Counter-point: If you don't think Wikipedia should have a page detailing how to accept Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior like Conservapedia does, you literally hate America.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

C.C.C.P. posted:

Counter-point: If you don't think Wikipedia should have a page detailing how to accept Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior like Conservapedia does, you literally hate America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
:goonsay:

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christopher Hitchens, you scamp you, I thought you had died!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

OneEightHundred posted:

And yet, their argument against UHC is "God wants us to give out of the goodness of our hearts, not have the government force us to.

By the way, here's why we shouldn't give those lazy welfare queens medicine out of the goodness of our hearts..."

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

And yet, their argument against UHC is "God wants us to give out of the goodness of our hearts, not have the government force us to.

By the way, here's why we shouldn't give those lazy welfare queens medicine out of the goodness of our hearts..."
"Lazy welfare queens" would already be on Medicaid, the people suffering the most would be people whose insurance lapsed while they got sick, which recycles back to my original point: The system fucks you for lapsing, do you deserve to get hosed for not knowing better and letting it lapse.

DON'T YOU SEE, YOU BROKE THE RULES!

It's that and the typical "government is so inefficient, hurf durf pork projects and million dollar toilet seat."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://conservapedia.com/George_Takei posted:

"George Takei (b. 1937) is an American film and television actor and homosexual recruiter."

They need recruiters?

If you write, I will make it better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Parahexavoctal posted:

They need recruiters?

To be fair, Takei could maybe recruit me to join the KKK if he tried, so maybe they're trying to warn us about his magic mind control powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Parahexavoctal posted:

They need recruiters?

I talked to a homosexual recuiter back in the day but the military gave better benefits

• Locked thread