Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

THIS.
THIS.
THIS.

I went to a "gifted" school growing up. Most, if not all of my friends by the time we went to high school were also "gifted". I hated that term and I hate it now. I was talented in some areas, but at the end of the day it just meant we learned faster on average. We were not any smarter than your average jackoff. What always bothered me was the terms that seemed to broaden as I grew up and they let more and more kids into the program. I know some ridiculously smart people who truly belonged in an advanced class. Then I know people who got shoved in there and barely survived, but were told they were geniuses anyways. And god forbid you bring it up to a normal parent because then they just get super elitest and "Oh we could have had little Johnny tested but he has all his friends and he doesn't want to leave them" and then they tell little Johnny he's gifted too and just too SMART for school, when in Reality Johnny is a little rear end in a top hat who acts up in school and gets bad grades because he's an idiot.

Oh god this so very very much. I was in a gifted program from grades 3 to 12 and I hate it so much. We were basically told we were all special little snowflakes and completely insulated from the world around us. Especially in elementary school, there were a lot of us who were convinced we were the creme-de-la-creme and god forbid anyone try and control us. Some went on to become dropouts because they had such bad attitude problems. Others, like me, were just so socially stunted from being in such a hug-box for so long that it's taken years to even try and repair the damage.

I mean, yeah, I'm one of the smart ones but when I got offered a shot at going to a super special university program geared at medical school I ran away screaming because I saw exactly how much damage being so insulated from the world around us did to a lot of people in my class. Looking at some others who -did- go through that program I really think I did make the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My county had the usual gifted programs, but they also did something really interesting for high school students that I think more school districts should emulate. Every high school in the county was divided into "comprehensive" and "specialty center."

Comprehensive was classes that every high schooler takes - gym, driver's ed, the majority of your "reading/writing/arithmetic" subjects. Living in the zone for that school automatically got you into those classes.

Each school had a different specialty center. We had a center for the arts, language immersion, humanities, engineering, communications, etc. I attended the "Center for Leadership, Government, and Global Economics," which had the distinction of the longest and most ridiculous title. To go to a specialty center you had to fill out what amounted to a mini college application. If you got in, you could attend that school even if you lived in a different part of the county, and they had a separate bus system to help kids get to the campuses. Scores on the tests that determined if you were "gifted" were not part of the application package.

The nature of your center decided which classes you took in the center and which were comprehensive. For example, I took French with everyone else, but at the language immersion center the Center students took their foreign language classes separately from the comp students. I took comp math as well. But I had several classes only offered in the center, as well as history and grade 9 and 10 English courses designed to dovetail with those classes. English was comprehensive in grades 11 and 12. Center classes were always honors, but center students could take non-honors comp classes.

It was a little bit like having a college major in high school.

I think the biggest thing I learned in my center classes was that I wasn't some kind of genius just because I had rated "gifted" on some tests. I finally learned how to study and work hard in school. It also broke me out of the cycle of only having friends who were just as socially awkward as me, because the students in the center came from many backgrounds and were expected to work together. We became a small, tight-knit group, even though we might have never gravitated toward each other in comprehensive. I didn't have to just be friends with the two weird girls who made animal noises and worshipped the Lion King, or the guys who fapped it to Lara Croft. I still wound up being friends with a lot of the oddballs, but I didn't feel trapped by them being my only friends.

One of the Lion King chicks friended me on Facebook a while back, by the way. We wound up going to different schools because of the center system, and I hadn't heard from her since we graduated HS.

She builds fursuits. :gonk:

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 27, 2011

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

RazorBunny posted:

She builds fursuits. :gonk:

One of my best friends builds fursuits, believes she's some sort of pharaoh dog, wears a collar, wears furcon tshirts, yelps when things displease her and is dating a guy (I use this term loosely) who refers to himself (and she does as well) as a "mutt-pup".

She's spiraled into weirdness in the last couple years, including a stalkerish crush on me, all of the above mentioned idiosyncracies, cowering when she does something "wrong" and so, so many other weird behaviours.

She has the ability to be quite normal and down to earth, it's just covered up by a whole lot of weird. :unsmith:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think the thing that bothers me most is that back in elementary and middle school, she was by far the more normal of the two girls. I shudder to think how the other one turned out - she's not on any kind of social media afaik, so I have no way of finding out what happened to her.

She bit the gently caress out of someone at a birthday party when we were all 16-17, but I wasn't there.

It's funny how reading this thread is actually making me remember more about the weirdos I knew growing up. I wouldn't say I had blocked it or anything, but I definitely hadn't thought about any of it in years.

For example, one time in high school I got invited to pay AD&D with some of the guys. Our red-haired friend got up from his chair and went in the other room. While he was gone, our other friend's little ginger cat came over and hopped up in the warm chair. At least one of the guys genuinely believed that our friend had transformed into this cat, and was totally upset and freaking out on everybody.

Between that and all the weird sexist crap (I was the only girl), they kind of put me off roleplaying games. I didn't play again until my last year of college, with a much saner group of people.

I literally had not thought of that incident in a decade.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

For example, one time in high school I got invited to pay AD&D with some of the guys. Our red-haired friend got up from his chair and went in the other room. While he was gone, our other friend's little ginger cat came over and hopped up in the warm chair. At least one of the guys genuinely believed that our friend had transformed into this cat, and was totally upset and freaking out on everybody.

Were there drugs/alcohol involved? It sounds like a perfect comic moment.

Rhino, the Henriette Saga was an awesome trainwreck. Thank you for sharing it with us.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

teh winnar! posted:

Were there drugs/alcohol involved? It sounds like a perfect comic moment.

Doubtful. When this particular group got old enough to easily acquire booze, they mostly just became really violent with each other and practiced their "martial arts" skills on each other, resulting in multiple injuries. Only one guy had any actual training, and I think it was just a basic yellow belt in karate. They "sparred" at the drop of a hat, and if they were drinking, it became a ridiculous dangerous melee of fists and bo staffs.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

cuntvalet posted:

She's spiraled into weirdness in the last couple years, including a stalkerish crush on me,

You should sever ties. Now.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
My boyfriend has been reading this thread over my shoulder, and he told me about the gifted program he was in from 6th to 8th grade. It was medieval-themed, and every student had a noble rank ("Baron Bill of Lancaster" was my boyfriend OH THE SHAME). All the students went to special gifted classes away from the riffraff in the general student body--the Baron tells me that he didn't remember anyone having friends outside the program except one girl who transferred in from regular classes and still hung out with her old friends. They spent their days listening to how special they were and playing SimCity for part of their social studies grade. They called each other by their ranks and every grading period had a "gathering" where they put on medieval garb and strolled around the quad in front of the regular students. No criticism or meanness was allowed, everyone got A's for doing nothing, and apparently most of the ones the Baron knew still live at home playing WoW.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That sounds pretty hilarious. My gifted program was fairly normal, except we did Grade 12 history in Grade 8 (the teacher thought Canadian history was boring) and the class powerleveled through Math Circus during recess for fun.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

OldMemes posted:

This is the most depressing part. Did no one call Liz out on the fact that she was taking advantage of a mentally handicapped person? Surely this counts as abuse?

This whole story is :smith: Do you know if Cat ever left and went home?

Cat's story is not a good one.

Through a mutual friend I tried to keep tabs on her. My folks had a guest house on the property and were open to her perhaps staying there, as she loved cats. Since people were always dumping animals near our place, my mom thought it would be nice to have someone to help her out with feeding the various critters and so forth.

Cat refused to come because Liz said I was an evil presence. Since Cat had known her for years she naturally trusted Liz. Even when they were all evicted she would not come. They were evicted because neither Liz nor Pete were supposed to be there. But since it was a cheap place covered by Section 8, the landlord only cared when the sex and fighting got loud enough for the neighbors to complain.

For a while Pete & Liz lived with Bill's family, so Cat had to go home to grandma. Good, right? Grandma made her stay clean, go to some adult ed classes, and keep away from Liz. This worked until Liz got a car. She and Pete literally abducted her from the adult ed class. They had an apartment and wanted her to stay, so that they could live off of her again.

They stayed there for a couple of years until Cat got extremely ill and needed medical care. Liz called an ambulance for her and she went to the hospital, where they contacted her grandmother. She took Cat home with her.

From my perspective that was the best thing to do. To the rest of them grandma was a horrible person for keeping Cat 'locked up'. Grandma let her go to cons and renfaires, but only with certain people and under the condition she would have no contact with Liz. She ran into a batch from one of the faires who proceeded to take every thing she had. She'd go with them for the weekend and pay for everything for the bunch. And--surprise!--Liz was friends with them, too.

No one wanted to tell me what happened after that, because I sided with Grandma. However, it seems they talked her into donating some money to the renfaire, which probably means that she paid for all their crap. She apparently follows the faire circuit, which you can do for most of the year if you really want to. At the faires she apparently stays in the encampments, cleaning for whoever is currently taking advantage of her. I have seen her a couple of times, but since I think Grandma is the only one who truly cares about her I'm not a good person and she doesn't want to talk to me.

I don't want to think about what will happen when Grandma dies.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
All right, let's put this thread back on track. It's time for the kawaiiest's adventures in furryland!

So I've already introduced you to mr. Furry and his poo poo lasagna. I think it's time you met some of his friends! He has a lot of friends, both online and in real life, and most of them are just your average awkward, greasy furry. Really nothing to write home about : the 40 year old virgin, the attention whore who threatened suicide every week, the fursuiters, the "pansexuals", the "witches"... but then there was that one very special furry.

He visited a few times, but I kept my distance because I could smell him through the stench of the apartment. This is a story about one particular Monday when he was visiting mr. Furry.

That day, I was coming home after spending a weekend with some friends from an anime IRC channel where I used to hang out. I've got stories about them too, including one about the guy who introduced me to the real horrors of the anime fandom. But I'll tell the otaku stories some other time.

So anyway, I was coming home from the animu weekend gathering, carrying a giant backpack with my clothes and art supplies, tired as hell. I opened the front door and the first thing I hear is "don't worry, it's completely safe. I've been doing this for years."

I froze. Literally just stood there holding the key (and my breath). What were they doing? I kept thinking I was going to walk into them having furry sex and I really, really didn't want to see that.

The apartment was laid out in a such a way that it was possible for me to go to my room without walking through the living room. Basically, it looked like this:

So I was standing just outside the front door and I could hear them talking in the living room, because the door to the dining room was open. But I couldn't see them.

I tiptoed to my room and closed the door, dropped the backpack and started getting ready to leave again, since I had someplace else to go (and honestly, I probably would have left even if I didn't). I touched up my makeup, fixed my hair, grabbed my purse and left the room, walking straight to the front door. But then I heard mr. Furry say "this is strange. It's not bad, it's different. It tastes different. Will mine taste the same?"

Curiosity got the best of me. I sneaked over to the dining room door and peeked into the room. All I could see was their backs and I couldn't tell what they were doing. Mr. furry tilted his head upwards, and that was when I saw it.

He was drinking something. Something yellow.

I wanted it to be apple juice, but the words "will mine taste the same?" implied otherwise. It was at that moment that his friend looked right at me, smiled and said "hey, kawaiiest! I didn't see you there. Want to try to something cool?"

I gave him my best smile (it's hard to smile when you're puking in your mouth) and said "no thank you, I'm going out!"

And I ran off, probably faster than I thought I was capable of running.

When I came home that evening, I asked mr. Furry what his friend's name was. After I showered (always wearing flip flops, just in case), I did a web search and found the guy's homepage. He is a plushophile and a fursuiter, and had, at the time, a guide for preparing and drinking your own urine.

Then the words "will mine taste the same?" came back to me. And I realized that mr. Furry wasn't only drinking pee. He was drinking his friend's pee.

Coming up next: the kawaiiest's adventures in otakuland and the girl who really, really loved Pocky!

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 28, 2011

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the kawaiiest posted:

"this is strange. It's not bad, it's different. It tastes different. Will mine taste the same?"

Be right back, trying not to kill myself by drowning in puke.

Spitball Trough
Jul 25, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

Bill: The man they all wanted/wanted to be. He had sex with Liz once and she always hounded him for more.

I would love to hear more about this guy. If only because hearing about anybody but the alpha male of the group would probably break my brain even more....

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
Goddamn, man. I've been around. I've hung out with junkies, spent time on the road in the hippie/jamband scene, known hookers, scammers, strippers, thieves, drug dealers and murderers. poo poo, I have even attended a sci-fi convention, but I feel like I have lived a sheltered life because I have never known anyone like the people described in this thread.

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Then the words "will mine taste the same?" came back to me. And I realized that mr. Furry wasn't only drinking pee. He was drinking his friend's pee.

I.... woah. What even. What.

I had a big long post written up about my crazy ex best friend, but.... I don't think I can post it so soon after this. I feel almost like I have to have a few moments of respectable silence in mourning for however much of your innocence you lost from this.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

quote:

"hey, kawaiiest! I didn't see you there. Want to try to something cool?"

These words should never be uttered by anybody, anywhere, to anyone. Ever.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
So is drinking your friend's pee worse than drinking your own pee? Having your own stuff seems mastabatory.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
I'd say they're about equally bad

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Spitball Trough posted:

I would love to hear more about this guy. If only because hearing about anybody but the alpha male of the group would probably break my brain even more....

Bill.

He is a very personable and charismatic man. Compared to the rest of the guys he is Adonis.

Bill was the kid we all knew (or were) in high school. Smart, talented, funny, mature-ish, seemed to have his act together. Like a lot of kids in the gifted programs, he'd learned how to get high grades without working, sailing unimpeded through a school system that's so irredeemably broken that it can't even begin to handle him. His SATs were high enough he could have gone anywhere, but he chose to go the university nearby so he could stay at home & save money.

I knew him from the gifted program because we were in the same district. That meant whenever they took us somewhere to be enriched we were all herded onto the same bus. So I saw him at Superior Court(we went there a lot), various museums, shows and so on.

He easily commands all the attention in a room, probably because he is a good actor and raconteur. If he had played his cards right he might have had an acting career. At one time he and Pete wanted to make movies. If they had actually tried they might have succeeded. Instead they spent all their time yakking, planning, and holding court over people who were in awe of them, because they had Dreams and they were going to Make It Big. It never occurred to them to shut up and get to work.

Like a lot of people he is creative, and creative in the same way as everyone else. He wants to write fantasy, epic scifi(self-insert) and horror. And like a lot of people he doesn't understand that there's a lot of work involved with writing, that there's more to it than a trip to TV Tropes and a round of NaNoWriMo. Not that it matters, because he will never get around to it anyway. But someday he might, and when he does it will be amazing.

We were the same major in college, so we had a lot of the same classes. Somewhere around Finals he discovered D&D. He was overwhelmed by the finals, and like a lot of people unused to being challenged by school he was lost and needed an escape. Take a guy who tends to be the center of attention anyway, add in his natural acting ability, give it a touch of storytelling, and you have the recipe for Bill.

First week of classes, he attended them all. Then he started to slide. He'd show up maybe once a week. That turned into no times a week and calling me for homework. You can get away with that in some classes--hell, for a lot of them all you have to do is pass a couple of tests. But you can't do that with all of them, and not if you want to stay on the Dean's List.

Pretty soon it went from asking me about assignments to asking to see my notes. From there it was a step to borrowing my books, because he'd sold his back to buy D&D books and crap. I'm anal about my books, so I told him if he wanted to use mine we'd either meet in the library or at my house. We'd meet up, but instead of reading the chapters he'd talk about his characters' exploits.

By Spring break he was in serious trouble because of gaming. He wasn't the only one--Pete dropped out because of gaming, and Liz and her various cohorts had all left school to spend time playing. He lost his fast food job because he kept taking off to game. And just when he was getting so lost in gaming, he discovered hard drugs.

A few of us watched the death spiral. There was no way to stop it--he had to hit bottom all by himself. Which he eventually did, sleeping in a derelict old car with his cheap girlfriend, a hooker he was going to 'save'. By then he had lost school, home, his family and probably his mind. Yet there were people who still thought he had it made, who believed he'd make movies and be a huge success.

Pete picked him up and the two moved away. The hooker was sent back after Pete caught her stealing. Bill got into rehab, and while it took forever he finally got clean. He is now married. And every weekend he holds court over a bunch of gaming losers who are sure that one day he's going to rock the world.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Khazar-khum posted:

He easily commands all the attention in a room, probably because he is a good actor and raconteur. If he had played his cards right he might have had an acting career. At one time he and Pete wanted to make movies. If they had actually tried they might have succeeded. Instead they spent all their time yakking, planning, and holding court over people who were in awe of them, because they had Dreams and they were going to Make It Big. It never occurred to them to shut up and get to work.

After your previous story, I was wondering if Bill was hanging around all those weirdos because he got off on the idea of being the biggest fish in a very small pond. Sounds like I wasn't too far off.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Thuryl posted:

After your previous story, I was wondering if Bill was hanging around all those weirdos because he got off on the idea of being the biggest fish in a very small pond. Sounds like I wasn't too far off.

Pretty much. I love the guy like a brother, but drat I want to kick his rear end sometimes.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

For a while Pete & Liz lived with Bill's family,

Those poor, poor people. I can't even begin to imagine suddenly having to live with these weirdos. How long is "a while" anyway? After reading these stories, even a weekend with them would feel like eternity.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Well, it took me a day and a half but I finished this thread

Pastrymancy posted:

It's this charmer

This link was fairly early on but the blog seems to have been taken down and replaced with a picture of an anime girl crying and the heading "Poe's Law." I wanted to read the stories, but now I can't because some guy decided to be all, "Th-th-th-, that's not real... I was just trolling you all..."

Well. I was basically the worst person in my circle of friends for a lot of reasons touched on here, being "gifted" and then told I could do no wrong. It lead to me having a lot of issues. But I don't have any real stories to tell, I never started believing any fantasies were real and I think that for the most part I've managed to improved after being thrust into the waiting arms of the real world after I left home.

Actually I do kind of have one story, from when I was still going through school. I don't remember exactly when but it was old enough that this would be a normal thing for this person to have done. I had a classmate, Carol. She didn't really seem to have any friends, so I did something I have done many times and I sat down next to her around lunch. She seemed pretty passive and withdrawn, but I eventually got her to talk to me. This was a fairly long time ago and I was only in contact with her for perhaps a month and a half, so I don't terrible remember all the details of our encounters. But I do remember one thing.

Carol seemed utterly convinced that Sonic the Hedgehog was not only real but in all her classes, and that no one else could see him.

For my part, I pretty instantly tried to discourage this, to suggest it was just fantasy and that, although Sonic the Hedgehog is pretty cool, he's not real, right? If no one else could see him, it couldn't be a problem with anyone else. She was visibly upset and disappointed when I said this, but I think she stuck around me anyway because I was the only person who even tried to talk to her at that point. I just tried to give her encouragement to do her best in the real world and that she didn't need any fantasies like that... Eventually, I think I got her to agree with me. I at least got a "Yeah... You're right" out of it.

Unfortunately, summer vacation separated us shortly thereafter and I didn't see her after that. But I at least like to hope she's doing alright now.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Adelheid Stark posted:

Well, it took me a day and a half but I finished this thread

This link was fairly early on but the blog seems to have been taken down and replaced with a picture of an anime girl crying and the heading "Poe's Law." I wanted to read the stories, but now I can't because some guy decided to be all, "Th-th-th-, that's not real... I was just trolling you all..."

Boy, do I have a surprise for you: http://kojikatsuragi.wordpress.com/

And if you need proof it's the same guy?

http://kojikatsuragi.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/anime-needs-more-child-deaths/

He re-uploaded all of his "Koji Oe" blog entries, so you can read all the old stuff.

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

I’m going to share a tale of weirdness, I hope it’s not a huge derail. Names have been changed, no internet detectives need apply. I'm sorry if this is long and rambly, but I'm not really sure how to present this story and I've never actually TOLD it to the people who weren't involved directly.

I made internet friends with this guy named Rob when I was in my second last year of high school or thereabouts. He used to run an art board that had a pretty decent amount of regular posters, and I had started to draw there. Over the course of time, we realized we had a lot in common and came to talk a lot over AIM and sometimes on the phone. He was pretty cool and easy to talk to, and we became really, really, close (much to the chagrin of his girlfriend Amber, who was a fantastic artist who used to also post on the same art board). Rob was a few years older than me and had some issues, most of which were not his fault. I learned that he was ftm transgendered and had a hard time dealing with the daily complications of not quite passing in public, try as he might. I’m also going to put in at this point that he was legit in this sense—he did end up getting hormone therapy and changing his name to a male one legally. He lives as a man, for real.

Rob was always working on this novel/comic about these kids that were born as reincarnations of spirits. It was a pretty “meh” in terms of plotline, I don’t remember a lot of it. But at the center of the back story was this Bird God and another, lower-status pseudo god figure which seemed to fluctuate between being a bird spirit and a kitsunes spirit (despite having wings?). The BirdKitsune was of no gender, and was like... Bird God’s lover. Between Bird God and BirdKitsune, they would either create new children, or adopt wayward souls into their little pack of family as either one race or the other (which would sometimes be segregated into Camp Bird God and Camp BirdKitsune, as some children didn’t like the others for reasons unknown). The story mostly followed the spirits of the “children” housed in the bodies of human kids going to school together or something like that. The story constantly changed over the years and it wasn’t very cohesive to begin with, so I don’t remember a lot of the details. I do remember a lot of very cryptic angsty art of the spirit children being produced.

A good nine or so months into our friendship, Rob confided to me that the story was based in fact to some degree--- he was the reincarnation of the Bird God, and he was writing about his lost spirit children. He was born into the wrong body. I was pretty much accepting of this because hey whatever, he was a good friend to me and you can believe what you want.

The characters were prevalent in Rob’s art and had a very distinctive tribal style to them that was pretty cool, and I ended up designing a character that would fit in with them just because I wanted to feel included in his novel/comic project. He embraced that wholeheartedly! I now had a character in his storyline, but I didn’t really realize that making up a character design meant that he would “discover” this character was one of the Bird God’s spirit sons. And that my drawing the character meant that I was now aware of my spirit self--- one of his children, birthed of Bird God and BirdKitsune! His tarot and runes confirmed it. He even decided to consult the i ching, just to be sure.

I went from being Rob’s best friend to his spirit son in the course of a week. It didn’t really change the dynamic of our friendship, so I let him believe what he wanted since I didn’t want to cause ripples in the relationship that was generally quite positive up until that point.

But then he started sucking other people into his delusions. All his friends turned out to be reincarnations of his spirit children! He would often do rune and tarot readings that would tell him about who was one of his spirit children and why they were born to their human bodies. He would send messages to BirdKitsune on the astral plane, and would occasionally send hir(?) to protect his children like a guardian angel. All over the place, certain members of his circle of friends came out with art of their Bird/BirdKitsune forms and elaborate back stories were told as to how each of them was related to the others. All of them would subsequently have a spot in Rob’s novel/comic project. Not all of Rob’s spirit children had been reborn, however; his one favourite son hadn’t been, but that didn’t mean all the earthly reincarnations hadn’t spoken to him! Either in dreams or on the astral or through cards or whatever. Somehow, Rob got it into his head that my previous self was in an incestuous relationship with this favourite son of his. I think it was because I drew the two characters together once (and I mean in close proximity, not “together wink wink nudge nudge”).

I started to get freaked out when other people I barely knew would message me and call me their brother, and tell me how we were all connected together in this spirit family. People I didn’t speak to would claim to know me and draw pictures of our Bird/BirdKitsune spirits together, how they were in the previous life! It was REALLY WEIRD. Even after Rob and I stopped talking, I got a few of these messages from one of the spirit children over DA and found that her gallery had some of these drawings that were never mentioned to me at all.

While all this was going on, and Rob’s girlfriend, Amber, was excluded from this whole mess of semi-cultishness. I’m not entirely sure how much she knew of Rob’s beliefs; for all I know, she could have only been aware of the storyline of the written story. I do know that she was never inducted into “the family” at all, and that Rob’s closeness with his most favoured “children” was a point of insecurity for her. Amber was a nice girl with very low self esteem, so she never called Rob on anything. She was particularly jealous of my closeness with him, but that changed over time.

I ended up taking baby steps to distance myself from Rob’s crazy after he told me that he fell in love with the reincarnation of one of his spirit children, a girl named Kaylee. I tried to convince him to break up with Amber if he was not in love with her anymore, but he wouldn’t. He got over it eventually, but ended up cheating on Amber with one of his OTHER “children”’s brothers. Amber found out and broke up with him instead, and his flock of followers ostracised and harassed her as if she was the one who did the cheating. Instead of siding with him, I sided with her. Amber and I became really good friends, but her self esteem never really recovered from the whole debacle.

And so Rob became the biggest rear end in a top hat ever. He started treating me badly--- talking to me as if I was stupid, leaving me out of the loop, constantly berating my artwork, and trying to break up my other friendships... particularly trying to get me to stop being friends with Amber. He would tell me how my spirit brother (the one that wasn’t born yet and I apparently had some incestuous relationship with in the previous life?) had been with other people and was no longer hung up on me. Unborn spirit brother was ashamed of me. While I didn’t really care about the stupid storyline or his delusional ways, it still hurt to end the friendship even if I knew it was toxic now.

This was too much hurt and crazy so I walked away and just stopped talking to him and avoiding the chances that came up to see him. I didn’t burn the bridges; I didn’t want more drama to explode all over the place so I just quietly stepped away. He still messages me sometimes to claim how much he misses me. One of his followers messaged me a few years ago to ask what had happened to her spirit brother when I reclaimed one of my character designs and changed it to remove any references to Rob’s story.

Now, Rob has multiple facebook accounts for his different alter egos, and claims to tell fortunes for a living. He dabbled in making home made sex toys and bondage gear for a while, too... considering his rather lax personal hygiene, the idea is horrifying. Last time he messaged me, it was to tell me how he was planning on adopting a kid with his current boyfriend and having it call him Optimus Prime instead of mom or dad (I killed that message exchange ASAP). He also claims to live as a 24/7 submissive gay transman whose goal in life is to adhere to the 1950s housewife ideal (a sort of “stepford boyfriend”, by his own admission). Oh, and he wanted to claim his trans nature as a disability so that he wouldn’t have to work for a living... and this was after he started taking hormones and was able to pass without an issue.

TL;DR - nanomachines' ex best friend thought he was a bird god and convinced other people they were part of his spirit family, used spirits as bodyguards and instant messengers on the astral plane, invented incestuous backstory, and cheated on his long time girlfriend with one of his spirit children's brothers.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Lance Streetman posted:

Boy, do I have a surprise for you: http://kojikatsuragi.wordpress.com/

I saw that as "new website" but couldn't figure out why the hell it went back to 2003.
Are you sure the Poe's Law thing isn't accurate? 'Cause jizzing on your screen over child deaths seems kind of unbelievable.

The Ghoul fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 28, 2011

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

The Ghoul posted:

I saw that as "new website" but couldn't figure out why the hell it went back to 2003.
Are you sure the Poe's Law thing isn't accurate? 'Cause jizzing on your screen over child deaths seems kind of unbelievable.

First of all, look at this thread and tell me why it's so hard to believe when you've seen what people are capable of doing in their heads.

Second, he's tried this defense a few times and it's never been convincing. This guy definitely isn't a troll, he just throws Poe's Law out there occasionally when he feels like he's being attacked.

Dashkta
Jul 23, 2009
uglynoodles, what is the best way for me to commission artwork from you?(NOT FURRY OR PRON) I was interested to note you had an eye towards game art which is part of what I need at the moment. I have a few other questions for you which may shed light on your ability to help with a few other projects. Ultimately I was intrigued by your RPG character which is one of the only two portfolio pieces I saw on the thread.

Please get in touch:
steve@breakmediagroup.com

Side note: I feel confident Denise has serious mental problems and I wager she'll be either homeless or in an institute within a handful of years. I guess she was able to hold down odd jobs and Canadian Welfare might be able to pick up the slack but that's a slippery slope.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
After following this thread for a couple of months, I have a few tales of former friends I feel would be of some interest.

First here is Josh, whose name I'm not going to change because it's common and he was an rear end in a top hat. I'd known Josh since I was about 8, but we really started to hang out at about the time I was in 7th/8th grade and he was in 8th/9th. I'd often go over to his house with my friend Kyle, where we'd play D&D or Soul Calibur or they'd have me watch as they beat Majora's Mask for the hundreth time.

One day I went to Josh's house by myself. We were waiting for Kyle to get home from some after school thing, I think. So I'm there by myself, and Josh goes to his computer to check his MySpace or something. He goes to his desktop and :stare:. loving loli anime porn. As his wallpaper. On a shared computer.

Later that same day, Kyle was over and we went upstairs to Josh's room. He lived in a loving sty. Plates of half eaten food all over the place, cans and bottles in the windowsill, more laundry than carpet. Kyle and I would later discover a collection two liter Mountain Dew bottles filled with piss in a cabinet while searching for a D&D book. His bed frame was broken, so he slept with the mattress and box spring stacked on the floor. This left a lot of blank space on the wall behind the bed, so he decorated it. With more lolis. He had maybe a dozen printed pictures scattered about the room, some taped on the walls, and others just crumpled on the floor. And most had...something crusted on them. :gonk: The wall behind the bed had similar mysterious yellowed stains.

As we sat playing Soul Calibur, Josh picked up one of the pictures. It was similar to those anime pillow pictures--scared-looking girl in skimpy clothes cowering on a sheet. It was of a young-looking anime girl with brown hair and glasses. How I remember this so vividly, I do not want to know.

"This is my favorite one," he said, smirking. I just sort of nodded and went back to the game.

Some time later, while on the late bus home, I got the famous ephebophilia* explanation. "I don't like little girls, per se." He started. "Like, I wouldn't gently caress a six year old. I like younger girls who are a little more developed. Like...nine to thirteen." :smug: How do you respond to that when you're twelve?

Eventually I called him on some idiotic bullshit and we drifted apart. I'm fairly certain he's now "studying" "philosophy" at some poo poo "college".

I'll call this second friend Melvin, as his name is actually fairly unusual and he's actually a pretty nice guy, just weird. He wasn't really all that bizarre, but he had weird habits. Firstly, he hung out with Josh and put up with him far longer than I did, which is weird by itself. He would also carry around a brief case, which housed his school work and a variety of other things, like D&D books, crude drawings of swords, manga, and snacks. He had a girlfriend, Misty, who believed wholesale that she was a vampire and would "feed" on him. He was legitimately afraid of her, but didn't break it off until two years into the relationship. I haven't talked to him in awhile, but taking a look at his FB profile it looks like he's doing pretty ok. :unsmith:

Up next: Jenn, alternatively titled "I dunno, the whole prisoner thing sounds kind of hot."

*=Firefox underlined this as a typo. When I right clicked for the correct spelling, it suggested "pedophilia" :v:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Hedera Helix posted:

You should sever ties. Now.

Probably.

Hmn...actually thinking about adding the saga of Victoria to the ongoing thread. Just not sure if it totally fits with the theme.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Reading this has brought memories of more than Homestuck girl, but I've been going back and forth on whether or not to post since the two guys I knew aren't quite as crazy and amusing as some previous examples. But then something happened to force me to at least share about one of them.

The other day I had to drop by Game Stop to try and exchange a gag gift (Babysitting Mama) a friend gave me for Christmas. To my surprise and dismay, the craziest guy I knew in high school was standing behind the counter. So now I have to tell you about...

Big Gay Finn, Spirit Magnet

Finn and I were among the handful of gay students at our podunk high school. Finn was very big on showing pride and banding together against our hateful oppressors, only no one at school really gave a poo poo, so we weren't really oppressed. The worst any of us had to deal with was getting called dyke or human being in the halls. None of us really cared to hang out with one another, least of all Finn, but he was clingy, persistent and incapable of taking hints.

Flamboyant didn't begin to describe Finn, though to be so gay he dressed really poorly and had equally bad hygiene. Imagine an unholy combination of John Belushi and Alan Rickman with the demeanor of Rip Taylor. That was pretty much Finn. 

What I remember most about Finn, even more than the weird spirit poo poo, was his precious binder.  I was the only person he allowed to see the contents, though he said I couldn't really appreciate it since I was a lesbian.

The binder was FULL of men's underwear ads. During study periods in the library he would flip through those ads and... stare. He wouldn't do anything else (his hands always stayed above the table), he just stared at those pictures of crotches until the bell rang. 

Finn claimed to come from a long line of powerful 'Sensitives'. They were like mediums, only better. He could see ghosts, he could talk to ghosts, and because he was even more in tune with the spirit world than his mother, he was unable to stop them from possessing him. 

My friends (Katie and Brittany), who were going through a 'let's piss off our parents with paganism' phase, were quite fascinated by all this, so they begged me to drag Finn along everywhere. Finn ate up the attention, and soon revealed to us his previously secret ability to delve into our souls by laying his clammy hands upon us. He couldn't read minds, that would be silly, but he could see the color of our auras and unravel our past lives.

Sadly, no one of us were an anime, nor were we key historical figures. Due to 'spiritual noise', the best Finn could do was describe the flashes he received of our former selves. Few people would allow Finn to touch them, so I don't have many examples. Note that Finn emphasized words and phrases a lot more than I show here, but I don't want to put every other word in italics.

:v:: Matt (Katie's boyfriend) was a serial killer. Seriously guys, a serial killer. I don't want to go into too much detail, because he was actually super notorious, but I will say he murdered a lot of women. After he killed them, he made molds of their breasts and covered his walls with them. I saw his house in my vision. Plaster breasts were EVERYWHERE.

I guess to Finn the breasts were the most horrific part. :rimshot: 

:v:: Brittany and Katie were actually together in the 70's, only Brittany was a man back then. They sold drugs, which of course ended badly. The police came, and they had like thousands of dollars of cocaine and heroin all over the place, so Britt killed Katie, then shot himself just as they broke down the door. They found them lying on top of each other dead. How tragically romantic is that?

And me? He didn't even have to paw at my head to know my past life.

:v:: You were a farmer.
:raise:: Just a farmer?
:v:: Yeah.
:raise:: I didn't kill anyone?
:v:: Well... I guess you killed pigs and chickens and stuff. Oh! But it was during the Great Depression so you did eventually starve to death.
:what:: Great.

This was all vaguely amusing, but then there were the times when Finn got possessed. Usually this was indicated by his eyes rolling back in classic fashion. All manner of spirits hijacked his greasy, hairy body. He said those were just spirits passing through. They rarely appeared more than once, and typically only when Finn wasn't getting enough attention. Go figure.

Finn's most frequent visitor was a child-like spirit that identified itself as "Fun". Fun spoke in a high voice (even higher than Finn's normal voice), giggled a lot, ran around jumping on things, and generally acted like a hyperactive four year old. Katie acted as a babysitter when Fun was in control, lest Finn make too much of an rear end of himself in the quad by trying to climb trees. Fun couldn't remember his real name, but Finn suspected he was the ghost of a small child that had "probably been drowned by his mother or something. I don't know, he doesn't like to talk about it."

Fun made Finn even more annoying, but he was at least harmless. The real problem was another frequent visitor: the Dark One. 

The Dark One was evil, so evil it didn't have a name. Well, it did, but Finn dare not speak it. Sometimes the Dark One came when Fun was out, at which point he'd whimper about the bad man and 'hide', vacating Finn's body. 

When the Dark One took control, Finn lowered his head so his hair fell in greasy black curtains around his face. After standing still for an uncomfortably long time, he would slowly raise his head so his hair was still obscuring his face. That's when poo poo got really creepy. We did our best to ignore Finn while he skulked around as the Dark One, not that it helped. Sooner or later he'd creep up to someone and slowly reach out to caress them. This, Finn later told us, was because the Dark One drained life essence through touch. 

If the intended victim didn't jump back or swat him away (the pagans endured, mostly to prove they had real ultimate power), he would roughly grab them, at which point someone would have to step in and pry him off. Some of the true believers claimed they indeed felt drained after the contact. Katie frequently offered herself in the place of others, which meant she valiantly stood there while Finn gripped her very tightly by the arms.

Finn's possessions conveniently only happened while we hung around after school, and never when he was alone with someone. I doubted he'd ever really hurt anyone, but I still got the hell out of the way whenever he approached me with his hair in his eyes and that weird smile on his face.

We went along with Finn's episodes for a while, mostly because they made things interesting, but the last straw was when the Dark One chased me, Brittany, and Katie all the way from the soccer field to Katie's car. While we sat safe inside with the doors locked, he clawed at the windows, circled the car like an animal, and randomly banged on the hood or roof. This went on long enough that we tried convincing Katie to just go, but she refused to risk hitting the poor, possessed boy with her hand-me-down Hyundai. Eventually Finn, still in Dark One mode, slinked away to harass others, and we were able to leave.

We didn't let Finn get near us after that. He swore he remembered nothing of the incident, just like every possession before it, but it didn't matter. We'd all had enough. Once the other gay kids learned the full extent of Finn's craziness, they wouldn't tolerate him even following at a distance. Thus Finn spent the last few years of high school alone with his binder. :smith:

Fast forward to a few days ago at Game Stop. Physically, Finn hadn't changed much since high school. He had that same John Belushi build, same shoulder length hair, but it at least looked and smelled like he'd been bathing regularly. I asked how he'd been, and he cheerfully gave me a summary of the past nine years.

First he got heavy into drugs, then he went to prison, and finally he spent some time in the hospital getting himself together. He also had a degree in (surprise!) choreography, but was thinking of going back to college to learn a useful trade... like interior design. I wish I was making that up.

With a line growing behind me, I only had time for one follow up question.

:stare:: And the ghosts?
:v: Oh, (wince) I take pills for that now.

So I guess there's always some hope for these people. There was one other guy I knew who was kinda like Finn, but there's no way I can spin those stories to be anything but depressing. Let's just leave it at Finn, holding a job and taking medication to keep the ghosts away. May he go on to design the most fabulous of rooms. :unsmith:

Anoia fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 28, 2011

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Rexides posted:

Those poor, poor people. I can't even begin to imagine suddenly having to live with these weirdos. How long is "a while" anyway? After reading these stories, even a weekend with them would feel like eternity.

Several months. Liz was one of the few people who didn't hate their daughter, so that helped. The daughter was a major druggie and had aggression issues. Anyone who could handle her in any way was always welcome. Liz did so by dragging her into her cat queen world, where she was now a princess. She was probably better off on drugs.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Dashkta posted:

uglynoodles, what is the best way for me to commission artwork from you?(NOT FURRY OR PRON) I was interested to note you had an eye towards game art which is part of what I need at the moment. I have a few other questions for you which may shed light on your ability to help with a few other projects. Ultimately I was intrigued by your RPG character which is one of the only two portfolio pieces I saw on the thread.

Please get in touch:
steve@breakmediagroup.com

Side note: I feel confident Denise has serious mental problems and I wager she'll be either homeless or in an institute within a handful of years. I guess she was able to hold down odd jobs and Canadian Welfare might be able to pick up the slack but that's a slippery slope.

Hiya,

I sent you an e-mail. Check your spam if you don't see it, as it has some URLs in the e-mail, might be junked I don't know.

As for Denise having mental issues... Yes. I'm sure she does, as well as a good dose of dysfunctional personality and coping mechanisms. It's really sad... But also makes good story fodder so hey.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

DeepFriedKitten posted:

:v:: Matt (Katie's boyfriend) was a serial killer. Seriously guys, a serial killer. I don't want to go into too much detail, because he was actually super notorious, but I will say he murdered a lot of women. After he killed them, he made molds of their breasts and covered his walls with them. I saw his house in my vision. Plaster breasts were EVERYWHERE.

I was a bit tired when I first read this post and I thought this was actually part of your story, not Finn's mad ramblings. It says something about this thread that I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the creeps mentioned was a serial killer.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Stottie Kyek posted:

I was a bit tired when I first read this post and I thought this was actually part of your story, not Finn's mad ramblings. It says something about this thread that I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the creeps mentioned was a serial killer.

I did wonder what supposedly infamous serial killer Finn spoke of, but he probably just made it all up. Or maybe he got it from a movie. Either way, I'm afraid to google "serial killer + plaster breasts".

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Ah this thread reminded me of another weirdo I heard of through my (D&D) friends. They had much weirder, pathetic friends than I did. I was probably at the most adjusted end of their friends' spectrum. Anywho, we'll call him Roger, was another one of those pouilles (short for pouilleux; French for "lice ridden"), dirty, black leather-jacket wearing, long-haired, metal listening, (variety of hard) drug consuming friend. I don't know much about Roger, except that it had gotten to the point that he was too lazy to get out of his bedroom, and practically his bed, even to go to the adjoining bathroom (except for doing number 2). He had 2-liter bottles of soda with the top cut off as improvised chamber pots, which he had his girlfriend empty once in a while. The place must've reeked of urine, but I (and my friends) still don't get how someone like him got a girlfriend in the first place, when much less disgusting, saner, cleaner guys like ourselves couldn't get a date. Apparently she wasn't bad looking or behaviorally challenged either, like a nice, almost regular girl.

ETA: the guy might have been what the japanese call a hikikomori had this not happened prior to the days of the internet. No online community for him to join back then. Well, there were BBSes but the phenomenon was not as big, and I doubt the guy had a computer.

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 28, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

nanomachines posted:

Valley of the Manson Family of the Birds

:stonk: How is this more disturbing than the poo poo lasagna?

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Up next: Jenn, alternatively titled "I dunno, the whole prisoner thing sounds kind of hot."

She's right, Patrick McGoohan is a drat fine man :colbert:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DeepFriedKitten posted:

I did wonder what supposedly infamous serial killer Finn spoke of, but he probably just made it all up. Or maybe he got it from a movie. Either way, I'm afraid to google "serial killer + plaster breasts".
I was brave. No results.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Ensign Expendable posted:

That sounds pretty hilarious. My gifted program was fairly normal, except we did Grade 12 history in Grade 8 (the teacher thought Canadian history was boring) and the class powerleveled through Math Circus during recess for fun.

I would laugh if you actually came from the school I went to because the whole math circus thing sounds really familiar. Are you from ontario by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Indeed I am. Dublin Heights?

• Locked thread