Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'd like to go on a last minute trip after Christmas to maybe Sweden. How cold will it be and how dark will it be? I don't think neither will bother me but I have no experience. How is Stockholm around that time of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

For Stockholm, I would guess around 0 degrees +/- a few. So basically, lots of slush, make sure that you have good shoes. Light after 8, dark after 16? Something along those lines.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

kissekatt posted:

For Stockholm, I would guess around 0 degrees +/- a few. So basically, lots of slush, make sure that you have good shoes. Light after 8, dark after 16? Something along those lines.

More like light after 8:45 dark after 15 [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=239]. Probably it will be cloudy the whole time anyway.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
If it doesn't go down to -5C or so, it'll be preposterously ugly with all the brown slush and rain. But yeah, take some good shoes with you, it'll be dark but not too cold.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Saladman posted:

More like light after 8:45 dark after 15 [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=239]. Probably it will be cloudy the whole time anyway.
It gets light quite some time before sunrise and remains light after sunset, but yeah it seems that 16 was optimistic.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

The plus side is you'll be able to take photos in great light without having to get up stupidly early or stay up stupidly late!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Florence that will be open on xmas day for lunch? I got told Il Santo Bevitore was great but they're shut on xmas. Thanks :)

bee fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 20, 2011

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Anywhere open xmas day will have been fully booked 2 months ago.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Anywhere open xmas day will have been fully booked 2 months ago.

Check 4*/5* hotels, their restaurants will all be open, and they might not be fully booked, at least if you're flexible on the time you are willing to eat.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Thanks saladman, I'll try that, sounds like a good idea. My plan b is to try and find a market on xmas eve and pick up some fresh produce. My rental apartment has a kitchenette so at least if I get totally stuck I can cook myself somethimg nice :)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
no one cares

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 23, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

bee posted:

Thanks saladman, I'll try that, sounds like a good idea. My plan b is to try and find a market on xmas eve and pick up some fresh produce. My rental apartment has a kitchenette so at least if I get totally stuck I can cook myself somethimg nice :)

Honestly, I'd never ever visit a hotel restaurant on christmas eve. Just walk around a neighbourhood where people actually live (away from the Duomo I mean) and find a place that just looks good. It being Christmas, it'll probably smell good, and the presence of lots of locals is always a good sign.

Otherwise, ask a bartender or shop asssistant.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Honestly, I'd never ever visit a hotel restaurant on christmas eve. Just walk around a neighbourhood where people actually live (away from the Duomo I mean) and find a place that just looks good. It being Christmas, it'll probably smell good, and the presence of lots of locals is always a good sign.

Otherwise, ask a bartender or shop asssistant.

The problem is that a lot of neighborhood restaurants are closed on Christmas (& Eve) because they're in neighborhoods where people actually live, and people don't normally go out to restaurants for Christmas, plus small restaurant owners want to have their own family Christmases (e.g. the one the above poster mentioned). The few that are open will be pre-booked for ages.

In general, though, that's good advice.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I just wanted to report back to the thread and let others know that there were plenty of places open for lunch on xmas day. We had a pretty good 3 course lunch at the hotel savoy. Granted, it wasn't a very traditional Italian xmas feast but it was a lovely meal for us. Cheers once more to Saladman for the advice :)

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
I was just in Rome for Christmas - plenty of restaurants open as well so didn't have to do the expensive hotel set menu. It seemed that there is 'less' commercialization of Christmas so the only thing closed were the smaller 'mom and pop' places.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is it true that water systems (tap water) in most of Europe are really bad? Like so bad people in France usually drink wine over water? It doesn't seem true to me but I heard it from family members.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 27, 2011

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Is it true that water systems (tap water) in most of Europe are really bad? Like so bad people in France usually drink wine over water? It doesn't true to me but I heard it from family members.

All I know is that you stay the gently caress away from Spanish / Greek tap water. The rest is fine, afaik.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
I think I remember that the water in Paris is really hard, and can gently caress up your shower curtains. Other than that, I think it's fine to drink. I never had any problems drinking water across Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Spain and the Czech Republic. Also, water in Ireland and the UK is perfectly safe to drink. Honestly, the standards for water safety in most of Europe is probably better than a lot of places in the US. I think a lot of the hesitation comes from the fact that the water quality was awful in many places in the past, and memories die hard.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...

Jeoh posted:

All I know is that you stay the gently caress away from Spanish / Greek tap water. The rest is fine, afaik.

I personally never had an issue in Spain but can confirm to not drink the Greek tap water. Germany, Ireland, England, France, Austria, Italy, etc were all fine although some were 'harder' chemical wise than others.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Farecoal posted:

Is it true that water systems (tap water) in most of Europe are really bad? Like so bad people in France usually drink wine over water? It doesn't true to me but I heard it from family members.

I live in Paris (originally from Missouri) and I think the water is fine here.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
And in Scandinavia (and Finland) tap water tends to be safer than bottled water.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Spain was fine and safe when I was there.

I had no problems at all anywhere in Europe with tap water.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Tapwater all over Northern Europe is safer and better than tapwater anywhere else in the world. Especially Scandinavia. The stuff that comes out of the taps in Norway could be bottled and sold at $10 per litre in the US probably. It's great all over France and the UK as well, and unless you're in a small village it's fine in Southern Italy/Greece/Eastern Europe.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NoArmedMan posted:

Spain was fine and safe when I was there.

I had no problems at all anywhere in Europe with tap water.

Maybe it's just paranoia from the past. Five years ago it didn't end well, didn't want to risk it last week.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Landsknecht posted:

The stuff that comes out of the taps in Norway could be is in a few places bottled and sold at $10 per litre

Fixed that for you. That does apply to parts of Finland and I think Sweden too.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Farecoal posted:

Is it true that water systems (tap water) in most of Europe are really bad? Like so bad people in France usually drink wine over water? It doesn't seem true to me but I heard it from family members.

Tap water is more heavily regulated than bottled water around here (Germany).

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

Valiantman posted:

Fixed that for you.

Ahahah I went to Oslo a few years ago and I was walking around incredibly dehydrated because I couldn't stand spending €3 on a bottle of water I could get for 70p in the UK.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm going to Copenhagen for a job interview in the middle of January. I have one day to gently caress around the city before the interview. What should I do/see, especially from the point of view of someone potentially relocating there?

On my way home, I have a 15 hour layover in Paris. I land at 8PM, and take off the next morning at 11AM. Obviously, I'd like to get out of the airport and see a bit of the city at night. My plan is to go out and see what there is to see, then go back to the airport to power through the night, so that I can sleep on the plane back to the states to try to re-adjust for jet lag. Does this sound like a viable plan to you more experienced travelers, and what should I do in this very short visit to Paris?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I never had trouble with tap water in Croatia or Bulgaria. I know in Bosnia I was told to buy bottles, though I probably drank the tap water a few times and didn't get sick. I know in Bulgaria the tap water has a lot of minerals in it so it can lead to kidney stones, but that's not really an issue if you're only there for a short time. I think the tap water where I live now in DC is a lot worse than the tap water in Eastern Europe

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
I did this in the summer. It was fun.

Xeno fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 20, 2015

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Silly phone :/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Probably way out of date, but the water we had in Switzerland (outside of Zurich on a ridge, 1970-75) was spring water out of the tap. It was quite hard, though (had to boil vinegar in the teakettle a couple times a year to remove scale).

We moved to Cannes in 1975 & my parents both got the shits from the tapwater, and drank Evian. My sisters & I, however, had no problems at all, even drinking out of these:

jonboy8871
Sep 25, 2003
What the deuce?

Any advice on Budapest/Central Europe? I have airline credit that I have to use by next September, and I'm about to start a new job, so depending on my schedule I'll probably be heading over somewhere between now and mid-summer. I'm going to take between 14 and 18 days. Budget is around $1500, maybe up to $2500 if I can be a prudent little saver between now and then.

I don't really want to spend all of that time in one city, maybe not all of it in the same country. I'm toying with spending a week in Budapest and a week somewhere else. I was thinking of Croatia, but that's mainly because I've seen some pretty pictures of it.

I'm a fairly laid-back kind of traveler. I like museums if they're not overrun, I like good food, I like drinking, I like meeting new people. Mainly, I just want to go someplace beautiful and different.

The extent of my Europe experience is a visit to central Ukraine. Not exactly a tourist enclave, which I enjoyed, but the only way the country was at all accessible to me was being with a friend who spoke Russian and knew her way around. This time I'll be solo. I doubt my limited Spanish will be much help. Will I survive?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Croatia fits that description nicely and everybody speaks English. It does get hot and very touristy during summer on the coast so I'd suggest late spring.

anTK
Nov 16, 2005
custom

Farecoal posted:

That's silly, or i've been lucky enough to avoid all bad water for my whole life living here. People in France drink a lot of water, and are also very sensitive about tap water in restaurants. Btw, in France it's a legal obligation to serve water for free in restaurants (i mean you have the choice between tap or bottle), whereas it's not the case in all of Europe : that's something that we French like to complain a lot about when we go to italy or germany.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tap water should never be a concern. I drank tap water in Ukraine, Romania, Moldavia, Poland, eastern Slovakia, Bosnia, Croatia etc. Hell, I even drank spring water where there was no plumbing and in some cases shared water with cows and sheep.

Nothing ever happened to me, even though I'm a spoiled city boy. Seriously, you have nothing to worry about.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Spain is quite notorious for its bad tap water.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
In remote villages in the south and east maybe. In every city it's fine.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
I hiked across bits of Northern Spain this summer and drank out of dozens of roadside taps. Never had a problem. This was in the Pamplona/Bilbao region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I've hiked a lot and run out of water several times and had to drink out of streams in the high mountains. I've gotten horribly sick twice (Switzerland), so just make sure you're above wherever animals go to poop in your water supply. Unfortunately, in Switzerland, you'll find cows grazing like basically up to the top of the Matterhorn/Mount Rosa/wherever (literally up to 3000m on most mountain).

As far as tap water, it's fine in all of Europe. Spain, southern Italy, Estonia, wherever.