Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Cage posted:

Just in case anyone else was wondering, I emailed E-care about 3G phones and the $10 smartphone fee.
Yeah, according to the thread over on SprintUsers, it seems that any smartphone released after 2011-10-04 (or maybe 2011-10-14) is no longer eligible for the $40 SERO-Premium 500 by itself, and requires the additional $10 Premium data fee. So $40 SERO is just fine for the Arrive and Marquee, but not likely as possible for the Motorola Admiral or the Samsung Transform Ultra.

And it's not being consistently enforced yet, so the SprintUsers people are all talking about how buying a new one might cause the fee to be added on but activating a used one won't. Maybe. Nobody knows for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

big mean giraffe posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1411461

Looks like he's got full acceleration and data now! If it had a working camera it might be worth actually testing out.

Impressive, thanks for the heads up! That JoelZ guy seems to be involved in a ton of stuff, hopefully he focuses on getting this going 100% and isn't spread too thin between all his projects.

Going to give this a shot tonight for the hell of it. I don't use the camera enough for it to be a dealbreaker.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The biggest problem with that build - other than the obvious camera issue - is that any hardware accelerated HTML will be totally screwed and unreadable. You can manually fix this in the browser, but gmail etc will be unusable.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

Just in case anyone else was wondering, I emailed E-care about 3G phones and the $10 smartphone fee.

Great to hear, definitely buying an Arrive today. Which I could get one in store though.

You can, but it has to be a "corporate" store. That means, on the store finder webpage, it does not say "Sprint Store by XYZ," just Sprint Store. They just call in the 1-800 number and switch you to premium there, and they should be able to take care of you.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Leathal posted:

The biggest problem with that build - other than the obvious camera issue - is that any hardware accelerated HTML will be totally screwed and unreadable. You can manually fix this in the browser, but gmail etc will be unusable.

Yeah, I managed to get around that by using K9 Mail since the official gmail app looks like one of those scrambled puzzle games where you have to slide the pieces around to make a picture.

Pretty smooth so far. Downloaded Super Stickman Golf and played a couple holes, plays well but it does seem like there's some garbled/glitchy audio issues as well. Still a heck of a start considering it's an alpha release.

edit: While you can fix the HW accelerated HTML in the actual browser, if an app uses a integrated browser solution to load a HTML site, it will be distorted even if you do the browser fix. Just tried to auth Plume and it was a jumbled mess. I was able to just 'import settings' from the sd card though and Plume is working fine.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 28, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm pretty impressed with what he's worked out manually so far, can't wait til he's got the gmail and camera working properly, I'll probably switch to that when he does.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

You can, but it has to be a "corporate" store. That means, on the store finder webpage, it does not say "Sprint Store by XYZ," just Sprint Store. They just call in the 1-800 number and switch you to premium there, and they should be able to take care of you.

The other deterrent to him going to a corporate store is very few sprint stores actually carry the arrive anymore. Definitely call before showing up.

And yeah, I ICS on the 3D sounds amazing, looking forward to that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Duckman2008 posted:

The other deterrent to him going to a corporate store is very few sprint stores actually carry the arrive anymore. Definitely call before showing up.

And yeah, I ICS on the 3D sounds amazing, looking forward to that.
I went to a regular Sprint store and they had the arrive but the guy there said I had to call E-care to change my SERO plan. I ended up just buying it online. :sigh:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Since about a month ago I've been having an issue when making calls with my Evo. I dial, it vibrates and then I either hear an echo (of whatever is making sound on my end) or a ring (normal). The echo means that the call goes through, the person on the other end picks up and can hear me talking but I can't hear them and everything I say echoes back to me. If I hang up and try again, it'll usually start ringing and then everything proceeds normally but sometimes I have to try two or three times to get the call to work. I googled and came up with this which appears to be a similar issue (theirs is dealing with incoming, my problem is entirely with outgoing) but nothing informative.

I hadn't flashed anything new or changed anything on my phone in several months, so I'm pretty certain this is a Sprint issue but since I'm running CM7 and all that I don't believe calling tech support would fix anything, since they'd want to update prls and profiles and do wipes and poo poo, everything that won't fix this. I reflashed my phone this morning to see if that would fix it but no dice. I'm going to try disabling Google Voice now, but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else here has experienced this issue or not.

bobula fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 28, 2011

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Leathal posted:

JoelZ9614 is awesome for doing all these parallel paths, but it also bothers me that he's re-doing work that's already been done (e.g.: CM7) instead of contributing to the existing base and making it better. As such, I'm curious to know how Toast's ICS build is coming along, as I have more faith in that.

Krysis
Aug 26, 2007

Hex Hates U

YEAH YOU

e.pie posted:

Can anyone weigh in on what Sprint service is like in the Colorado Springs/Denver area?
Colorado Springs resident here. It's actually pretty good. The 3G service is usually 4 or 5 bars for me (I live in south Colorado Springs). The 4G on the other hand is fairly sporadic at best though (it's pretty good in Denver though).

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Jeratain posted:

JoelZ9614 is awesome for doing all these parallel paths, but it also bothers me that he's re-doing work that's already been done (e.g.: CM7) instead of contributing to the existing base and making it better. As such, I'm curious to know how Toast's ICS build is coming along, as I have more faith in that.

Well the last info we have about the cm team's build is that they were roughly in the same place as Joel's build. Eg: hardware acceleration but no Bluetooth or camera (or 3d/Wimax, natch). Granted that was two weeks ago, but still...

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

There's no 3G Evo, the current consensus on the best 3G phones are the LG Marquee (Android) and the HTC Arrive (Windows Phone 7). LG Optimus is also decent but a bit older now. Don't bother getting a Hero nowadays, anything newer will serve your purposes less painfully.

Why do you think your $150 upgrade is no good?

And yes, $50 SERO is for the 4G phones and the iPhones.

To be clear, phone upgrades can only be used if you're signing up for a new plan, which they won't let us SERO people do unless we swap to another plan, correct?

My exposure to Window's OS is limited to my terrible time with the Touch Pro 1 (which is what I'm currently using). If the best options on the $40 SERO are the Marquee and Arrive, I think I'll try my hand at this Android thing. Is the Hero an Android? Can I buy my choice phone anywhere, so long as it's a Sprint phone? My issue is that without the $150 credit, I'll be getting rapped on dealing directly with Sprint. The Marquee is going to run me $350 directly from Sprint.

Thanks again.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 28, 2011

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just bought the arrive for my SERO plan and I was able to use my $150 credit. You buy the phone first and then seperately upgrade to SERO premium when you receive it.

Log in to sprint.com and look at the phones, the price you see will be what you pay. (plus tax)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Blakkout posted:

To be clear, phone upgrades can only be used if you're signing up for a new plan, which they won't let us SERO people do unless we swap to another plan, correct?

My exposure to Window's OS is limited to my terrible time with the Touch Pro 1 (which is what I'm currently using). If the best options on the $40 SERO are the Marquee and Arrive, I think I'll try my hand at this Android thing. Is the Hero an Android? Can I buy my choice phone anywhere, so long as it's a Sprint phone? My issue is that without the $150 credit, I'll be getting rapped on dealing directly with Sprint. The Marquee is going to run me $350 directly from Sprint.

Thanks again.

The Arrive and Windows Phone really are nothing like the old phones. I understand if your experience is really soured though. I upgraded from a Touch Pro myself and love the Arrive. I've had it for two weeks now, so I've found enough that I'd like to have done differently, but I think any phone will be like that. Anyway, if you still don't want to try it, what is wrong with the LG Marquee? The hero is old and slow and people seem to complain about it all the time.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Blakkout posted:

Thanks again.
You're wrong. You can totally use that upgrade on Sprint.com (or over the phone), no problem. You only run into problems if you try and use your upgrade at another store like Amazon Wireless or Radio Shack or something.

Don't buy a Hero, there are much better options nowadays. Yes, you can buy a used Sprint phone from anywhere and activate it on your account (but you'll need to upgrade your account to SERO Premium first).

td4guy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 29, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Wow. I think you guys just saved me $150. Much appreciated.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Huh, if I bought the phone online like I wanted to two days ago I wouldve had the phone already. I went "nah Ill just get it in a store tomorrow" but things went sour so I bought it online. They loving next day air that poo poo for free. 2-5 days my rear end its getting here tomorrow.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

The Arrive and Windows Phone really are nothing like the old phones. I understand if your experience is really soured though. I upgraded from a Touch Pro myself and love the Arrive. I've had it for two weeks now, so I've found enough that I'd like to have done differently, but I think any phone will be like that. Anyway, if you still don't want to try it, what is wrong with the LG Marquee? The hero is old and slow and people seem to complain about it all the time.

Seconded. I had a Touch Pro and later a TP2. The Arrive is pretty awesome and works perfectly for me.

Whatever you do don't get a Hero. It's basically a Touch Pro 2 running android and isn't much better.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm hoping one of you guys can help me with some ideas here:

I spent three hours on the phone with Sprint last night trying to get two SGSIIE4GT's up and running.

Backstory: Both my wife and I got the SGSII's at the beginning of November. No problems. Flash forward to Christmas, and my father in law decides that he wants a new phone. I say that we can add him to my plan and we order another SGSII for him. (All phones were ordered from Amazon - I called them, and they are sending out a new phone to replace my father in law's phone, though that doesn't help me with my phone.)

The phone arrived yesterday and I tried to activate it. After walking away for a bit then returning, I find that the phone has no data connection, nor can it make calls. I figure this is a minor issue, so I go to call Sprint - except my phone is no longer working as well. No data, can't make or receive calls. My wife's phone is ok, so I call Sprint from it.

I explain my situation to the rep and, to make a long story a little shorter, we check the phone numbers, do soft resets, and eventually, wind up doing hard resets of the phones. Nothing fixes the issues - neither phone can make or receive calls or texts, and both have a very spotty 3G connection (at best.)

I'm thinking that something was incorrectly provisioned on the new phone that is causing some sort of "overlap" with my phone and is causing both not to work (like when you place two PCs with the same IP address on a network.) Sprint assured me this cannot happen unless the phones are sharing a DEC number, but I can't imagine I got a new phone DOA with the dreaded LOS issue and my phone just happened to also get the LOS issue at that exact time. It's too much of a coincidence.

Any insight on this one?

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Larry/OKIESTRO on the Sprint forums. He said that is is pretty difficult to provision the phones to interfere with each other. He was surprised that the Sprint reps did not do what he called a "button reset" which, from what I understand, a more "complete" hard reset that clears out the Android cache. He mentioned that there might be some corrupt files in the cache that are not getting cleared and that are causing the problem. He also stated that there is a major tower outage in my area (though Sprint reps last night told me twice that there were no tower problems), but I don't think this is the issue since my wife's phone has five bars and no 3G LOS. He did promise that we would get the problem resolved one way or another, so I feel a little better.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 29, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Any insight on this one?
If you go to Settings -> About phone -> Status, and compare the "Phone number", "MSID", "MEID", and "User name" values across both devices, each should be different. If any of them are the same across the two devices, then you might be right to there being some kind of conflict issue, but that would be weird.

berzerkmonkey posted:

He mentioned that there might be some corrupt files in the cache that are not getting cleared and that are causing the problem.
That sounds like a vague, bullshit response.

If you did a "Factory data reset" then anything in Android was cleared out, but that doesn't reset any of the provisioning data in the baseband.

To clear the provisioning data you can enter "##SCRTN#" at the dialer which will reboot the device and reenter hands-free activation. You'll probably also need to call *2 and tell them you're reprovisioning that device as they have do so some prodding on their end otherwise hands-free activation will fail.

Alternatively, you can do "##RTN#" at the dialer which both clears the provisioning data and does a factory reset on Android, if you're concerned there's any lingering issues there.

For both methods you'll need the device's MSL number. You can get that from the device using some tricks, but a Sprint rep can also tell you that. I don't see why calling *2 and explaining both your phones are wonky and that you want to reprovision them doing a "##RTN#" won't work. They should be able to walk you through that process.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for the response. It turns out that all the hoopla (or lack thereof) might be related to the tower outage in my area. My wife took the phones into the store, and they worked fine there. When she got home, they were useless again.

Apparently, I have one tower in range of my phones. Just one.

I just don't understand how two phones were completely out and yet the third phone (same model, no less) worked perfectly fine.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I just received my Epic 4G touch and wireless worked on it for a while, but I'm running into a problem. When I turn on Wireless, the icon goes green for about 5-10 seconds, then grays out again. I've tried rebooting the phone several times, but to no avail.

In the wireless connections screen, when I turn on wireless, I see "Scanning" then it stops because wireless turned off again. I can't add my SSID manually, it says "Unable to add SSID"

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something that can be fixed, or should I start whining to Sprint?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

raej posted:

I just received my Epic 4G touch and wireless worked on it for a while, but I'm running into a problem. When I turn on Wireless, the icon goes green for about 5-10 seconds, then grays out again. I've tried rebooting the phone several times, but to no avail.

In the wireless connections screen, when I turn on wireless, I see "Scanning" then it stops because wireless turned off again. I can't add my SSID manually, it says "Unable to add SSID"

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something that can be fixed, or should I start whining to Sprint?

I experienced a lovely radio on my Epic 4G, but not on an E4GT. You should probably go straight to Sprint if it continues to happen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks for the response. It turns out that all the hoopla (or lack thereof) might be related to the tower outage in my area. My wife took the phones into the store, and they worked fine there. When she got home, they were useless again.

Apparently, I have one tower in range of my phones. Just one.

I just don't understand how two phones were completely out and yet the third phone (same model, no less) worked perfectly fine.

I would just get an airrave and fix the problem that way.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I would just get an airrave and fix the problem that way.
What is the process for that? The guy I talked to last night mentioned Sprint only does this if there is a consistent record of no service at the home. Also, is there a fee associated with the Airrave?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Rumor: Sprint to cap data?

http://www.sprintusers.com/interesting-rumor/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lovie Unsmith posted:

From a useless Radio Shack employee. While one day it may happen I take zero stock in that post. I keep waiting for that 4G upgrade in my area a Radio Shack employee swore to me was being putting in as we spoke. This was almost 2 years ago.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Rumor: Sprint to commit suicide.

When you're within 5-10 bucks of a comparable Verizon plan, don't have the latest and greatest phone hardware, and offer data speeds that are literally a tenth of the competition - you don't kill the only remaining feature that differentiates you from your much larger competitors.

Also, given Sprint's terrible backhaul problems, would data caps even DO anything to help them in the short term? Find it hard to imagine they have a problem with "bandwidth hogs" in most markets. Nobody is torrenting multiple gigs of data per month with 3g speeds creeping at 25 kbps or less.

Edit: Sprint to implement data caps starting at 25 mb a month. :haw:

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I couldn't read past the first few responses in that story. Knee jerk reaction to a radio shack employee?

edit:

Leathal posted:

Edit: Sprint to implement data caps starting at 25 mb a month. :haw:

I am going to twitter this, see if it gets traction. Online forum member who is expert on Sprint says 25 mb per month!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
While capped data is bound to come out sooner rather than later (I'm thinking they'll start as the LTE network is ramping up and they have good positive media reports), I wonder if they'll grandfather existing customers. Their recent changes have not been very friendly to existing customers, especially the change that removed Unlimited from their hotspot plans.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Leathal posted:

don't have the latest and greatest phone hardware,
Sprint doesn't have the iPhone 4S? :confused:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sprint doesn't have the iPhone 4S? :confused:

Thinking he's talking about the Nexus. :v:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is sprint still giving out airraves if you bitch enough over the phone?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

TLG James posted:

I sure hope so. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need one at my new apartment....

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

TLG James posted:

Yeah I just got one for free by calling the retention number in this thread, though in my case it was because they have 0 towers in distance of my new house and they would have booted me for roaming in a couple of months.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Depending on who you get you might not have to yell, bitch, or make threats. When I got mine I called CS, told them I couldn't get a signal in my house, and the rep started placing the order. I asked if there was a charge for the device or a monthly fee and she matter-of-faculty said no, as if there would be no reason to charge.

Of course my boss at the time called at my suggestion a few days later and had to call several times and threaten to cancel since they wanted to charge him. He eventually got it for free.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the process for that? The guy I talked to last night mentioned Sprint only does this if there is a consistent record of no service at the home. Also, is there a fee associated with the Airrave?

Call retentions in the OP for now. I actually now have a number direct to that department, will update the OP once Christmas slows down so you don't have to call retentions. Don't have to bitch at all, just ask. Best promo Sprint does.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Yeah, bullshit. Sales people predict caps all the time to get people to "lock in unlimited data now."

Mark Larson posted:

While capped data is bound to come out sooner rather than later (I'm thinking they'll start as the LTE network is ramping up and they have good positive media reports), I wonder if they'll grandfather existing customers. Their recent changes have not been very friendly to existing customers, especially the change that removed Unlimited from their hotspot plans.

You and I slightly disagree on the hotspot part, but it this is a valid question. Honestly, I think your idea that it would hit when they do LTE makes sense. Only time will tell other. Either it is grandfathered in or the contract is possibly voided, I had a customer today who got out of contract due to Sprint changing the way they discount family plans (as discussed a page ago).

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So far Im really liking the arrive especially coming from a tp2 with different roms. Just playing with the bing search impressed me a lot. I used to use it for a gps at work on my tp2 but it took 10 seconds to load and was pretty laggy when running. With the arrive I just hit the search touch-button on the front and it loads under a second and runs quite fast. The song recognition function using the microphone was awesome too, I admit I played around for 5 minutes playing random mp3s on my computer seeing if it would get them, and it did. I like that its so easy to get to along with the barcode reader which I might actually use on this phone.

edit: Although wp7 is slightly more 'closed off' than I'd like. Its not a huge deal but it has 16gb of space and usb mode in windows isnt available until you do a registry tweak. Plus I kind of like spending an hour in my settings menu on my first setup, there isnt a whole lot you can change in wp7.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Cage posted:

So far Im really liking the arrive especially coming from a tp2 with different roms. Just playing with the bing search impressed me a lot. I used to use it for a gps at work on my tp2 but it took 10 seconds to load and was pretty laggy when running. With the arrive I just hit the search touch-button on the front and it loads under a second and runs quite fast. The song recognition function using the microphone was awesome too, I admit I played around for 5 minutes playing random mp3s on my computer seeing if it would get them, and it did. I like that its so easy to get to along with the barcode reader which I might actually use on this phone.

edit: Although wp7 is slightly more 'closed off' than I'd like. Its not a huge deal but it has 16gb of space and usb mode in windows isnt available until you do a registry tweak. Plus I kind of like spending an hour in my settings menu on my first setup, there isnt a whole lot you can change in wp7.

How do you feel about full SD card encryption and basically destruction of the SD card in regards to useability with any other device. This is my one major gripe with WP7. I've long told one of my coworkers that if I didn't care about how my phone looks (android theme customization & related) that I would probably be happy as a clam with a Focus (AT&T WP7)